First Time RVer's at Fort Wilderness with lots of questions

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, the squirrels are not the worst thieves as far as food. If you leave your crockpot out and I am around, I will be your greatest concern.

Kungaloosh : 1/4 cup orange juice 1/4 cup Captain Morgans spiced rum 1/4 cup raspberry brandy 1/4 cup strawberry daiquiri mix Mix toge

I use the candles, but they don't do much. The Off Lanterns that Jason mentioned are absolutely fantastic.

Pam...what dates are you booked this year? We're leaving PA on June 21st, we'll be in 500(hopefully) until July 8th. Hope to see youthere!

As of this moment we have June 26 to Aug 5 but - with Starla working retail, my towing anxiety, and DH's heath - I never know the arrival date for sure until we physically pull into the site. My goal is to be there by July 2 at the latest.

It'd be awesome to see you there this year!

Oh, wow, good to know.  I was thinking about mounting one of those wall mount hair dryers in my camper kitchen, but I may have to reconsider.

How about running a heavy duty extension cord directly to 110 on the campsite pole for the hair dryer?

Up until about 6 months ago my hairstyle didn't require a hair dryer, but now I do.

The extension cord would work at one of the 110 outlets on the pole and we even did that a few times. The last time, before I bought the new hair dryer, it was raining, the extra outlets didn't work and I was so mad that i couldn't even

get my code to work on the comfort station. Needless to say, we had a dressy banquet to go to and my hair looked like s***. I was so upset my husband even put in a 20 amp breaker but I don't trust it. My little dryer works fine and I have thick hair.

I usually budget 3000 for a 10 day trip which includes gas, food, booze, campground, kennel fees and Disney crap. I mooch off as many people as possible and often eat the wildlife.

Carol, What do you normally plug into?  If it's the 30 A, you should be ok with a separate cord to the 15/20 amp post outlet for the dryer.  If you normally plug into the 15/20 amp outlet, the dryer cord would need to be on a separate circuit.  We always plug our rear A/c into the 15/20 outlet and plug Christmas lights into the other.  I don't recall if the outlets are on separate breakers, or not., but we have never had a problem.  Well, last year we popped the breaker a couple of times, but I think that was a defective breaker.  And they had to replace the 30 A breaker whie we set up.

If you want to keep to a budget may I suggest finding activities at the Fort and not going to the theme parks as much.  Renting a golf cart for $60 a day is less expensive than 4-5 tickets to the magic kingdom.  It seems you are staying a while so I suggest you take some days to just relax and enjoy the fort.  Do as many breakfasts as you can in your RV.  Look at the menu at Trails End Restaurant to get a judgement of the prices.  You can also take a boat over to the contemporary and ride the monorail to many of the resort hotels.  The Wilderness Lodge must be seen to be believed.  Taking a free bus ride over to Disney Market Place is also a good days outing that will only cost you the price of eating out or buying stuff.  The Pool has lots of activities in the afternoon and there are free movies at the campfire starting at 730PM.  The fireworks can be viewed from the beach at 10PM.  We often camp at the fort and never go to the theme parks because there is a lot to do that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  Well maybe the left arm.  When driving from NY try to gas up in Virginia, North and or South Carolina and south of Jacksonville.  The Hess Gas Stations at WDW will be some of the cheapest in FL.  As you travel to Fort Lauderdale I suggest you look for the Racetrack gas stations. If your not staying with your relatives don't worry.  July is not our season so look for deals and coupons on hotels and attractions.  

LOL I understand that but I don't want to not have enough. We have a special account that will is being used exclusively for Disney trip by then there will be about 3000 in the account for use but that will include the gas, meals there and back as well as hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I'm think that it should be plenty being that we have already paid for campsite, RV, tickets and dinning plan. The money is really for the extras.

That's more than we spend including food.

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking I will have more than enough socked away I'm just a nervous Nellie when it comes to possibly running out of money. Most of our meals, tickets, etc are paid for. I was thinking more for extras, gas and food for the RV. This is a graduation gift for my three girls and I want them to have the time of their lives. Just spoke to some family and they will be giving Disney gift cards and cash as gifts. so they will have plenty of money.

Watch your local grocery store ads in June. I've heard that Acme and Albertson's have started their gift card promotions for Father's day. There are a variety of stores across the country that do this each year. We always buy disney gift cards for our trip at Giant Food and are waiting for them to announce it again this year. In previous years, the register had printed a $10 catalina coupon for every $50 gift card transaction - that works out to an extra 20% off! You pay full price for the first $50 but can use the coupon for the next transaction and it'll still generate a fresh coupon to continue the savings.

• 3 weeks later...

HI all,

About 22 days until we head to the fort. A bit nervous and overwhelmed but I figured whatever I forget we can always buy. Budget has been figured out and we are starting to plan what will be coming with us and what will NOT. LOL We are renting our travel trailer from Meacham and Andrew has been wonderfully helpful.

We are all set with our tickets, reservations and dining plans but I have a few more questions.

My husband has family that lives local to the fort is it bad form for them to come visit us for the day while we are staying at the fort. We were thinking of BBQing at the site and maybe some pool time for the little ones. It would only be 3 people join us.

Are the laundry rooms  or comfort stations locked for the night at any point I am a very light sleeper and often feel that might be a good time to either shower or do laundry while everyone else is asleep.

Since I didn't get a chance to purchase a sign is it okay to make one. What should I have on it besides TOTAL NEWBIES and very confused.

How late do people stay up just hanging out at their site or walking around. Since we have built in babysitters my husband and I will actually have time to walk in peace and quiet.

This may sound strange but what medications should I pack to bring with us for the trip. We are usually a healthy group but I don't want to get caught short or without when needed.

Thank you again for all the wonderful help. I really want this trip to be a memory the girls will always treasure!

Bath houses lock from midnite to 6 am but your Disney key gets you in. The laundry rooms are locked 24/7 but the same thing, your key card gets you in. I am typing this from the Fort as a guest of another camper, we had a big cookout and lots of folks have been visiting most of the day. There are folks out and about all hours. Don't forget sometimes the MK is open till 2 or 3 am

Basic meds on any campout should include Aspirin, Tylenol, Benedryl, Pepto Bismol tablets, Bacitracin, assorted Band Aids, Ocean nasal spray, any prescription meds to cover the time plus a couple days in case, Visine eye drops. These are the absolute basics I take.

Comfort stations do close at night, but can be opened with your key to the world card.

Personally, we always seem to go to bed relatively early. I am usually sleep deprived at home, and am so relaxed at the Fort and tired from the day, I seldom stay up very late.

With your guest, just add them to your reservations ( no extra cost) and they will get key cards with there names on them and can come and go when they want. Get parking passes for them so they can park in the over flow lot. BigTom

We've had family come visit us at the Fort several times.  We just tell them what site we're in and they tell the guard in the shack they're coming to visit us.  They've never had a problem coming in and we usually go pick them up in the parking lot with the golf cart.

Definitely a good idea to do laundry or use the showers in off hours.  If it's late just bring your KTTW card and that will get you in.

Absolutely fine to make a sign!  Hopefully there will be some Fiends around to say howdy.  :)

Quiet times at the Fort are really great - either late or early.  Definitely take advantage of them if you can.

I always make sure to bring allergy meds, motrin, antacids, immodium and cold/flu stuff (just in case).  We keep a decently stocked first aid kit in our car anyway, so we're usually pretty set for bandaids, etc. there.

The trading posts will carry your typical first aid type stuff, tylenol, etc.  It's pricey, but  in a pinch they should have the usual stuff.

Hope you have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

12 more days till our trip and we are getting super excited as prom and graduations are finally over. Excited that our daughters got plenty of money to bring with them to Disney. I'm off the hook for that. Packing is beginning and you have all been wonderfully helpful with all of your answers. We are hoping to meet some of you while we are down at the Fort.

As packing continues I will probably be logging on with questions but for now I think we are good.

The girls are making our sign any suggestions as to what to put on it. The girls are decorating it with Disney characters and a bit of each personality.

Wow see a question while I am sitting here typing. How do we check in... is it like a hotel or is it a drive up type thing. How do we pay off our charges during the week and how about checkout.

Can't wait to get down to experience our first visit at the fort.

Check in is drive up, you don't have to get out of your vehicle. A credit card takes care of all charges and if card is given, you get a total bill the morning you leave, delivered to your site and all you have to do is pack up and leave.

Oh, and if your site isn't ready when you arrive, there is a parking lot near the checkin area where you can park your rig. You can give them your cell number to text you your site number when it's ready. You can then go explore or go to the parks until it's time to start setting up.

See I knew there would be more questions.... I read somewhere that Disney frowns on citronella candles.... Hubby just asked if we should bring them. Any other suggestions for bug repellent or bug sprays?

Thanks all... less than a week till we get to the fort.

I think those could be considered open flames. We have Off Lanterns and they work well for us as well as the coils.