I suppose the title says it all! 

Where are your favorite campgrounds and what makes them your favorites?  Got any photos and info to share?

One we camped in last May and really enjoyed was Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA.  Really big, well maintained, lots of activities, multiple pools (including indoor), onsite restaurant... some of the "inside" sites are kind of on top of each other, but we were along the outside edge and had a really wide site with lots of space. There was no one on the street-side of us, just trees, and behind was actually the edge of the campground with a fence that borders a quiet road (not sure we saw a car on it all weekend).

7145828587_5c7f3d878b_b.jpg

6999737836_32b73de6bf_b.jpg

7145834173_2bbefe3d05_b.jpg

Downside?  Cost.  Rates here are comparable to the Fort.  The site we were in did not have a sewer hookup (there is a dump station) and in early May we paid about $65/night.

Hickory Run State Park in the beautiful Poconos Mountains of PA. This is a picture taken last October.

12837D64-1826-4728-900E-FC97A9A2EBB6-149

SSShhhh....  Don't tell anyone, as this campground is already way too popular. 

favorite non-Fort campground is HUnting Island State Park in SC, near Beaufort. 

They have campsites right on the beach.  The downside is that the campsites off the beach do tend to have lots of mosquitos. 

But waking up to the sound of the surf. 

Sitting outside the tent and watching dolphins frolic. 

That is very nice, to me.

huntingisland2010036.jpg

huntingisland2010037.jpg

huntingisland2010069.jpg

I have to agree with Dave, Defeated Creek is a beautiful and well maintained capground, I have to make that my #2 also, that doesn't sound right, my second favorite campground. For my pictures just take Dave's and move them over about 30 feet and put a tree in.

Didn't know there were any other campgrounds, since I have been going to the Fort I haven't been to any other and the ones I went to before don't compare with The Fort so I don't have any other favorite place.

We also like Riveredge Campground in Pigeon Forge, TN. Not exactly out in the woods, but the greatest bathrooms of any campground I have ever been to, including the Fort, and close to Dollywood.

eb158303.jpg

The showers have multiple jets to get into all the nooks and crannies without bending or contorting.

Right across from our campsite was this trolley stop. You can catch a trolley that will take you downtown where you can make connections to the outlet shopping centers, Dollywood, Gatlinburg and the National Park.

null-10.jpg

LOL.... there's a dude in the right stall doing work.

I can't believe I never noticed that before.

Fess up... that's you in there, isn't it?   8)

I was messing around with the timer feature on the camera. You got me.