Toto... I Don't Think We're At Disney Anymore.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're so tired of the "Total Immersion, Magical Experience" thing.... Then this TR is for you.  There will be none of that nonsense here.   This weekend H, Lil H, Gabe and I headed out for CAMP Wi

I say WWW require lots of practice. So we should do both.

:)

Just got caught up. 

That place looks nice, but as you say not so magical. 

I'm sorry to read about the helicopter incident.  I was getting a bit choked up just thinking about what poor Lil H was going through.  That kid is a good egg.  I think H will make a good husband someday.  Little H, that is.  Well, I suppose Big H will make a good husband someday, too.

P1020727.jpg

Your picture of the Charlotte skyline brought back memories.  INC and I lived their for a short time 20 years ago.  She worked in the BofA Corporate Center (of the two tallest buildings...the one on the right.)  I worked in the old corp center, which is the shorter black building immediately to the left of the one she was in.  I actually proposed to her in that building. 

Just got caught up. 

That place looks nice, but as you say not so magical. 

I'm sorry to read about the helicopter incident.  I was getting a bit choked up just thinking about what poor Lil H was going through.  That kid is a good egg.  I think H will make a good husband someday.  Little H, that is.  Well, I suppose Big H will make a good husband someday, too.

Your picture of the Charlotte skyline brought back memories.  INC and I lived their for a short time 20 years ago.  She worked in the BofA Corporate Center (of the two tallest buildings...the one on the right.)  I worked in the old corp center, which is the shorter black building immediately to the left of the one she was in.  I actually proposed to her in that building. 

Fun but no magic.. yep, that sums it up.  

Little H was so upset but he rose to the challenge and handled the situation very well in spite of being scared (mostly b/c he knew he was in charge of G) .  I  tell him all the time what a great husband and dad he will be one day.  He has a heart of gold.  The jury is still out on Big H.  Much work still to be done.

Oh how cool!  I got a photo of the DaveinTN proposal spot!  I call bragging rights!!  This TR found a little magic afterall... :)

After a night of  rest we were geared up for another day in the park.  Did I mention that there is also a Water Park at the Park?  And that there is no seperate admission?   Well there is and we were pretty excited about it too! 

I am a huge fan of roller coasters and tend to sulk a little if I don't get to ride at least one when at an amusement park.  (A trait I inherited from KFM). With younger kids who aren't quite into them yet that makes this difficult but I was in luck.  H agreed that we could go to the park early before it got crowded and I would ride The Dale Earnhart INTIMIDATOR first thing.  :jumpforjoy:

They don't allow cameras while on the ride for safety reasons but I did snap a few while waiting in line.  Wheeeee!!!!

P1020752.jpg

P1020754.jpg

P1020755.jpg

Notice the seating.  In the front there are two seats together in the center.  The next two seats are spread out.  This gives everyone a sense of being "in the front" .  I was on one of the outer seats and let me tell ya...... I felt like I was hanging out there!  Wheeeeeee!!!!

P1020756.jpg

I have to admit.... That thing was tall and about half way up the first hill I thought "What have I done?"  :))  That little burst of nerves was short lived as this was one FUN coaster!  

Here's a link to a few photos of the coaster on their website.   https://www.carowinds.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/Intimidator#panel1-1

While I was riding the Intimidator, lil H and the boys went back for another go on the Carolina Skytower.  We all met back up  and headed for more adventure.  On our way to parts unknown we walked under, yes under, the Nighthawk.  This coaster looked like something else! I've heard it was one of the best at Carowinds.  Maybe next time.

P1020757.jpg

Carowinds has the Scrambler!  Talk about a blast from the past!  Gabe really wanted to get on that and was dragging me toward it not taking no for an answer.  Luckily he got tired of waiting in the heat and decided to get out of line.    Don't get me wrong, I like the Scrambler.  There is just something about a retro ride that is just plain fun.  However....

A retro-style ride is one thing.  The actual prototype is another.  This thing looked ancient, like it seriously could have been the very first one.  :bugeyes:

P1020759.jpg

Remember the day before when lil H had such a rough time with the Characters leaving him standing there with a sad look on his face?  This day things were different.  We walked over to Planet Snoopy and there was Charlie Brown.  Just standing there.  With no throng of kids waiting.  Awesome.

I practically grabbed the boys and shoved them over there!  :))  G joined in the fun too!

P1020760.jpg

P1020761.jpg

P1020763.jpg

And Linus too!!!  We're on a roll!!

P1020765.jpg

P1020764.jpg

The Snoopy Bench.  

P1020766.jpg

P1020770.jpg

Random stuff.

P1020772.jpg

P1020774.jpg

P1020775.jpg

Believe it or not, lil H wanting to ride the Whirleybirds again.  With one minor change.... each adult rode with one kid.  :))  Safety first.

P1020776.jpg

H and G exiting their Whirlybird.

P1020778.jpg

P1020779.jpg

P1020781.jpg

Little boat ride.  

P1020782.jpg

P1020785.jpg

P1020787.jpg

Well whatta ya know!?  It's Sally!  Looks like lil H's luck turned a corner today!

P1020788.jpg

P1020790.jpg

A few shots of the Intimidator area. (We passed by it a lot.)

P1020791.jpg

P1020792.jpg

P1020793.jpg

The River Rapid ride didn't open until noon so we did all that other stuff first but it's now close to noon so here were are... waiting...

P1020797.jpg

P1020798.jpg
After we enjoyed a ride on the river the boys were all set to head to the water park.  We decided to grab a bite to eat before heading that way.  Luckily we spotted a little sign that advertised a large pizza for 12.00.  Not bad.  

P1020799.jpg

Now that we're all fed and ready for water fun we're off!  Passed this fun looking coaster on the way...

P1020800.jpg

P1020801.jpg

P1020802.jpg

The first wave pool.  This one had milder waves.  There was another one on the other side of the water park that had much larger ones.   The boys liked it best, of course.

P1020804.jpg

P1020805.jpg

P1020807.jpg

P1020811.jpg

P1020812.jpg

P1020813.jpg

My waterproof camera went kaput so sorry there are not more and better photos of the water park.  They did have it all though! Huge slides,  smaller slides, spash zones, lazy river, kiddie section etc...  Boomerang Bay was a great waterpark especially with there being NO seperate admission cost!  

Next time we visit Carowinds we'll plan both days like the second day.  Sandwiching the water park between a morning and evening in the amusement park worked very well for us! 

More Randomness.

P1020819.jpg

P1020820.jpg

P1020821.jpg

P1020824.jpg

P1020825.jpg

And that concludes our day in the park.

I am sorry to say I did a poor job of taking photos in the park.   I really regret not taking photos of everything instead of just some of the things we did.  There were a lot of roller coasters and other kid's rides the boys didn't want to ride as well.  Their website gives an overview of each ride with a Thrill Rating.  I recommend looking at that if you're considering a trip. :)

Two worn out boys waiting on the tram to Camp Wilderness.

P1020829.jpg

P1020828.jpg

I am going to stop here for now.  We did have one more adventure on our last nite but I'll save it for the next update.  Also a few shots of the campround before we left coming up..

OMG I love The Scrambler!!  But yeah- that thing looked exactly like the one I rode at Rocky Point Park in 1975.  :blink:

Those coasters look amazing.  The whole setup of the Intimidator would freak out DH - no shoulder harness, way too much "out in the open" with the seating - but sign me up!

P1020761.jpg

Hooray for a much better character day!

Love this photo.  They just have that content (ok somewhat exhausted) look from a fun day all around.  :)

P1020829.jpg

Better character meeting day brought a huge smile to my face.

Not having to pay extra for the water park is awesome. At Worlds of Fun in KC there is a separate admission needed for Oceans of Fun. We have only done both one time back when Drew got in at the child rate and the girls were free. Now with 5 adult tickets needed it would be too expensive.

That coaster looks pretty crazy.  Downright Intimidating!  :rofl3:

Nice to see that the character meetings went better on Day 2!  Do kids even know who the Peanuts characters are these days?

Good one Dave.  I can always count on you for a funny one-liner! :rofl2:

Yes, it was nice to have a better character experience.  It couldn't have gotten much worse on Day one unless the Characters actually assaulted lil H. :))

I can't speak for other kids but mine know and like the Peanuts gang.  We absolutely love the original Charlie Brown Christmas special and watch it at least twice every year, not to mention the Thanksgiving special... the Great Pumpkin.... you get the idea. 

OMG I love The Scrambler!!  But yeah- that thing looked exactly like the one I rode at Rocky Point Park in 1975.  :blink:

Those coasters look amazing.  The whole setup of the Intimidator would freak out DH - no shoulder harness, way too much "out in the open" with the seating - but sign me up!

Hooray for a much better character day!

Love this photo.  They just have that content (ok somewhat exhausted) look from a fun day all around.  :)

I love the scrambler too but that thing looked OLD.  As in original. It also didn't look permanent... kinda like the ones at the fair. :bugeyes:

If B doesn't like being "out in the open"  then might want to wait on you at the exit.  No charge for that bit of advice. ;D

If you think that one looks good... there are a couple of others that may be even better.  The Afterburn and Nighthawk.  I'll reserve judgement until I've ridden them myself.

Thank you about the photo.  It is one of my faves from the entire trip.

Better character meeting day brought a huge smile to my face.

Not having to pay extra for the water park is awesome. At Worlds of Fun in KC there is a separate admission needed for Oceans of Fun. We have only done both one time back when Drew got in at the child rate and the girls were free. Now with 5 adult tickets needed it would be too expensive.

Thank you Yvonne!  It was a much better day.. for sure!

The water park was a great bonus!  It is also part of the park so you can go back and forth at will all day, at least during the hours the water park is open.  It didn't open until 11 and either closed at 7 or 8.  I can't remember which.  Still, it was more than enough time for us.

You rode the Intimidator.  You are a brave, brave woman!

Hahahah! And I'll do it again too!  Such fun!

Yes, it was nice to have a better character experience.  It couldn't have gotten much worse on Day one unless the Characters actually assaulted lil H. :))

you remember how my battles with Ms White began over some aborted character interactions?  I can just see it now....Lil H will have serious issues as an adult with Lucy and Sally.  A Peanut allergy! 

You're on!

And looking forward to it.  Seriously, many of these rides would cause me to have panic attacks ... ask Chris ... I can't even ride a ferris wheel.  She got me on one several years ago at our local fair.  Something about my legs dangling in open air with nothing to "ground" to.  They had to peel me off after a couple of revolutions.

And looking forward to it.  Seriously, many of these rides would cause me to have panic attacks ... ask Chris ... I can't even ride a ferris wheel.  She got me on one several years ago at our local fair.  Something about my legs dangling in open air with nothing to "ground" to.  They had to peel me off after a couple of revolutions.

I can ride any roller coaster but that "dangling legs" at a million feet in the air thing freaks me out too. Adding the element of swinging me in a circle does not improve the situation.  The total sum of reasons why I will not ride this:

https://www.carowinds.com/rides/Thrill-Rides/WindSeeker

Make sure to view the Promo video.

Notice the description:

• Tallest ride ever built at Carowinds.
  • A ride that families enjoy experiencing together.
  • WindSeeker provides breathtaking aerial views of not only the park, but of the greater Charlotte region.
  • A spectacular night ride! 

My answer:   > And your point is?

> Not this family.  Not in a million years.

> I am sure it would take one's breath away and I also feel sorry for the "shower" that would be given to the guests below. :barf:

> It wouldn't matter if it were day or night.  Eyes would be shut tightly.

I will gladly wait at the bottom while mocking taking photos and/or video of the lunatic nut jobs brave souls who choose to ride it.