Toto... I Don't Think We're At Disney Anymore.

There was a MUCH smaller scale swing ride like this at the little amusement park we used to go to as kids and I loved that one, BUT... it was probably 1/3 the height of this.

That said, I've been parasailing pretty flippin' high up and over the ocean to boot.

I'd definitely have to ponder.

I'd probably do it on a dare.

Once.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're so tired of the "Total Immersion, Magical Experience" thing.... Then this TR is for you.  There will be none of that nonsense here.   This weekend H, Lil H, Gabe and I headed out for CAMP Wi

I say WWW require lots of practice. So we should do both.

:)

There was a MUCH smaller scale swing ride like this at the little amusement park we used to go to as kids and I loved that one, BUT... it was probably 1/3 the height of this.

That said, I've been parasailing pretty flippin' high up and over the ocean to boot.

Once.

no daring....no daring...no daring

Once.

I would parasail before I rode that thing.  I'm not afraid of landing in the depths of the sea, only being slung through the air and splattering on the asphalt.

If you ride it.. I'll see you at the bottom if you make it down safely.  I'll have a spatula to scrape you up with in case it doesn't work out favorably.  In which case Gwen will be the official CSI photog. :))

no daring....no daring...no daring

:))

I like many thrill rides, but those swings just look plain stupid.  Like the kind of thing that results when engineers drink too much. 

and do recreational drugs.  I'll say it again.  The photos don't do it justice.  It looks like something only a mental patient would do.

I'm glad day 2 went better!

The seats on that roller coaster are pure scary just looking at them. I have told Christopher that if I get very sick and in pain and he can't bring himself to just end it for me, to take me on that ride. That would do it.

I have anxiety just looking at those rides. I love round and round and simulators. If it goes over my head, forget about it!

If you ride it.. I'll see you at the bottom if you make it down safely.  I'll have a spatula to scrape you up with in case it doesn't work out favorably.  In which case Gwen will be the official CSI photog. :))

:what2:  The thought of me taking pictures of Kim while she scrapes Mo off the ground ... nope, not doing it even for CSI.  

At least I'll go out with my ARMS UP... cause I'll be trying to fly

wheeeeeeeee!!!   8)

I have anxiety just looking at those rides. I love round and round and simulators. If it goes over my head, forget about it!

And Rita, I'm the exact opposite.  The taller, faster, crazier the coaster the better.  But if it spins or is a simulator...

:barf:

wheeeeeeeee!!!   8)

And Rita, I'm the exact opposite.  The taller, faster, crazier the coaster the better.  But if it spins or is a simulator...

:barf:

no dear that won't be what you are saying at all.  That can't be put here

So will you come visit me in the mental hospital? :rofl2:

Only if you live to be taken there... or if you're hurled into space.  I am not visiting you in orbit. :rofl2:

I'm glad day 2 went better!

The seats on that roller coaster are pure scary just looking at them. I have told Christopher that if I get very sick and in pain and he can't bring himself to just end it for me, to take me on that ride. That would do it.

:))  about th e roller coaster.  It was fun.  You would live.  YOu might not live if you ride the tall swing though.  

Caught up!

I am glad the second day went better.

I love the pic of Lil H about to get blasted by the wall of water.

He must have been having a ball.

I also noticed that you invoked the Coup de Grace of all dares, the triple dog dare.

Thanks. The second day was tons better!  H absolutely loved the wall of water.   I had to threaten him to make him leave that spot. lol

Not so much invoked as mentioned.  With a disclaimer that the triple dog dare may not even be enough.   Scratch that.  It definitely would not be enough.  I would have to take whatever consequence happens when you don't honor a triple dog dare.  

:what2:  The thought of me taking pictures of Kim while she scrapes Mo off the ground ... nope, not doing it even for CSI.  

What if I play the CSI theme for you on my phone while you take the photos?  I'll even bring the baggies and rubber gloves.

wheeeeeeeee!!!   8)

Wheeeeeeeee!!!! Splat.

no dear that won't be what you are saying at all.  That can't be put here

:rofl2:  :bugeyes:  That does remind me of a funny story.......

Nice work as usual KFK!

I am caught up now too.

Your photos and commentary do a great job conveying the "vibe" of this Carowinds place.  And I like it.  I love how they have retro, rusty metal poles for some of the line queues, and the ancient Scrambler.  You are right, there is such a thing as too much theming.  Don't get me wrong, I love WDW.  But, compare this Carowinds place to Epcot, for example.  There is way, way, more fun stuff to do at Carowinds.  I'll take a rusty pole over Captain EO. 

And, I like how you could just buy a large pizza and feed your family for a reasonable price.  Can't do that at WDW.  Darned DDP.

Looking forward to the campground photos.

TCD

Do tell your funny story

Squirrel!  What were we talking about?

Nice work as usual KFK!

I am caught up now too.

Your photos and commentary do a great job conveying the "vibe" of this Carowinds place.  And I like it.  I love how they have retro, rusty metal poles for some of the line queues, and the ancient Scrambler.  You are right, there is such a thing as too much theming.  Don't get me wrong, I love WDW.  But, compare this Carowinds place to Epcot, for example.  There is way, way, more fun stuff to do at Carowinds.  I'll take a rusty pole over Captain EO. 

And, I like how you could just buy a large pizza and feed your family for a reasonable price.  Can't do that at WDW.  Darned DDP.

Looking forward to the campground photos.

TCD

Thanks.

I'd take a rusty pole over Captain EO too.   In fact, I'd take a rusty pole to the back of the head over Captain EO.  Better yet, we could whack Captain EO over the head with a rusty pole and call it a day. , 

You're right about the theming.  It's overrated.  Carowinds theming is done in such a way that all they need to do is take down a sign or two, paint some posts and railings a different color and they would have a new theme on any given attraction or entire section overnight.  Genius! 

Finally caught up!

I love coasters. Looks like a fun place with lots to do. But I'm not sure about no shoulder bars on the Intimidator. That would freak me out! Does it loop?

Yay for a better character day!

The no shoulder bars thing does feel a little freaky but there are no full loops so it is safe as far as giant scary coasters go. :))

On that note, I rode a scarier coaster this weekend.  We took in a Braves game and Six Flags over GA the next day.  I may add it onto this TR.  The jury is still out.

Looks like I'm down to the last few photos.  I didn't take as many of the campground as I thought but I'll share them...

But first....

After getting back to the camper after day 2 in the park (tired and hangry), we thought "Hmmmm..... why are the lights so dim?"  It didn't take long to realize we had no power, the lights were being powered by the batter which was probably about to be dead. This also meant no A/C.    Now we were tired, hangry and hot. Not good.  Not happy campers.

H ventured over to the neighbors site where he learned that people in another loop were having water pressure issues.  Sooo H reports our problem to the front office and they tell him they're sending the maintenance man right over.  I'll try to keep this as concise as possible.

The maintenance man shows up, says that someone in landscaping had run over the power pole and he had not cleared our site to be rented out.  The front office says "Oh yes he did clear the site to be rented."  Due to the general attitude of the maintenance man, who BTW left us hanging because he had somewhere else to be, we tended to side with the front office lady.   There's more to the story but that gives you the general idea.  Luckily our nice neighbor had an extra long power cord and hooked us up to the other connection on his site.  Yay for good neighbors!  Boo to maintenance men who SMB.  

Somewhere in this mess we headed out to find dinner and landed at Applebee's.  We were seated in the Elvis Section.  Lil H was pleased with that so we decided to not be irritated at the evenings events and just have an enjoyable time.  Of course there were Elvis tunes being sung, impersonations being done and a few "Thank ya.. thank ya very much"'s  being said before and during dinner.  :))

Anyhooo.... the main office lady gave us a number to call when we got home and assured us that the manager would do something to help make it up to us.  We did call and she offered us a significant discount on our next visit.  We will probably go back and will make sure that we have one of the sites with the newer connections.

Now back to the show...

Sorry but I didn't get any photos of our set up until we were breaking it all down. Booooo KFK!  Boooo!

P1020834.jpg

P1020835.jpg

P1020836.jpg

P1020837.jpg

The Camp Wilderness Cabins.  Not to be confused with the Great Lodge. According to the website description and photos they are silimlar to the layout of Fort Wilderness Cabins, only without all that annoying theming.  They are rather plain but look nice and comfy.  The price is much lower than Fort Wilderness too.  

P1020838.jpg

P1020839.jpg

The site across the camp road from us.  I wish I'd taking more photos of the other loops as I don't think we were in one of the prettier ones.  There were some very lovely sites.  Just not ours.   :))

P1020840.jpg

P1020842.jpg

P1020843.jpg

P1020844.jpg

Lil H doing his part to help....

P1020849.jpg

P1020854.jpg

On the way out...  This coaster was our landmark so we knew where to turn back into the CG.  Some of us couldn't quite remember that.   :))  Not sayin' who...

P1020860.jpg

P1020864.jpg

P1020865.jpg

P1020866.jpg

And that's the end of the Carowinds Trip.

My observations:  You get what you pay for.  As long as you're prepared for that and don't set expectations too high you can have a great family trip almost anywhere.  We did just                              that.  

Thanks to those of you who patiently followed along.

The end.

Braves pics....please

Okie dokie! 

Great report! You were more impressed with Carowinds than I was last summer.

Glad to see a cg review. I've seen the signs and always wondered what it was like. I may have to check it out sometime since it's a quick drive.

Impressed would be too strong of a word.  I felt the park had some good points and a lot of mediocre ones.  All in all though, with the water park, Dino section and kiddie section, it worked really well with the kids.  

The CG did look pretty nice in most sections.  Our section looked like the worst of the place and still at that it wasn't bad.  The pool looked good and had a lifeguard on duty but it did seem to close early.  The office also closes when the park closes so there is no one on duty around the clock.  Campground guests get a nice break on ticket prices which is a great bonus.  Ours were 25.00 per person per day.  

Great TR!  Glitches aside, the campground looks really nice.  Hopefully next time you're back they'll have the kinks worked out... or maintenance guy will have straightened out his attitude.  8)

The CG did look pretty nice.  Just wish that the "glitch" hadn't kept us from exploring it on our last night.  Grrrr.  

Great report!!!

PLEASE ADD THE BRAVES AND SIX FLAGS PICTURES!!!

I love the Six Flags coasters, just can't ride them all in one day like I used to :)

Thanks Carol!

You've got it!  I'll try to get those going as soon as I can.

I love the coasters too.  I only got the chance to ride one, but it was a good one! It was also the only one there I hadn't ridden before.

Thank you for bringing us along.

You are most welcome.