Toto... I Don't Think We're At Disney Anymore.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're so tired of the "Total Immersion, Magical Experience" thing.... Then this TR is for you.  There will be none of that nonsense here.   This weekend H, Lil H, Gabe and I headed out for CAMP Wi

I say WWW require lots of practice. So we should do both.

:)

Looks like y'all were having fun!  There is still something wrong with the pics, though.  It looks like *gasp* Big H is wearing Gamecock wear!  That couldn't true, could it?

Just teasing!  I love y'all inspite of your team choice. :bighug:

B.O.F. = Future Mini WWW?

Boneyard!  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure my DS would love the interactive Dinos too.

Looking forward to more!!

by the way Kim, has the chocolate fallen from the sky yet?

No such luck. :(

Looks like y'all were having fun!  There is still something wrong with the pics, though.  It looks like *gasp* Big H is wearing Gamecock wear!  That couldn't true, could it?

Just teasing!  I love y'all inspite of your team choice. :bighug:

Don't get me cranked up Marty!!!    :rofl2:  :heart:  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I tried but couldn't do it.

Clowney-boogeyman.jpg

B.O.F. = Future Mini WWW?

Boneyard!  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure my DS would love the interactive Dinos too.

Looking forward to more!!

B.O.F. are a WWW staple.  :rofl2:

That is really cool for Dino lovers.

It was pretty good.   Not Disney good.  I don't want to build it up to be more than it is.  Still, it was worth the little bit of extra money.

Great update(s)!

I tried to post earlier, but it looks like the site was locked up for 12+ hours last night and this morning.

This Carowinds place looks very nice.  For kids, their Dinosaur display is better than how Disney does it at AK.

I noticed the big sign at the entrance saying no outside food or drink allowed.  That is one thing that Disney does better.

TCD

Great update(s)!

I tried to post earlier, but it looks like the site was locked up for 12+ hours last night and this morning.

This Carowinds place looks very nice.  For kids, their Dinosaur display is better than how Disney does it at AK.

I noticed the big sign at the entrance saying no outside food or drink allowed.  That is one thing that Disney does better.

TCD

Thanks!

Yes, that little lock down got me in a hot mess trying to get the updates posted. :))

Carowinds IS nice.  Just not magical. But we don't always need magic to have a good time anyway. 

No outside food or drink is allowed.  The park is relatively small and easy to exit so you could go back to the camper or if you're not camping have a cooler full of food in your car.    We decided to just eat in the park.  

I believe at the beginning of the report I mentioned camper mishaps and not being able to get groceries before we left, making a pathetic run to Wal Mart.... with no list.  Sooooo....

We only had cereal for breakfast and After all that time spent in the Jurrasic area we had worked up an appetite.  We were HONGRYYY!   Mishaps and poor planning can cost you.  We started searching for a decent restaurant in the park for lunch.  Not one with outside cafe tables in the sun.  

Fortunately, we found the Country Kitchen.  Very spacious, clean and pleasant inside.  The menu had enough options to make everyone happy so we were ALL IN!

H and Gabe chowing down on their meals.

P1020672.jpg

H and I got the BBQ sammich basket which was more than enough and not bad tasting either! Actually they were pretty good!

P1020673.jpg

Lil H enjoying a break and a chicken strip basket.

P1020674.jpg

Now.  The boys wanted to ride Woodstock's Whirlybirds.  It is a very slow moving helicopter ride.  When I say slow I mean slow.  If it slowed down anymore it would come to a complete stop.  Not. Even. Joking.

This was one of those rides that only held 2 people.  This was also one of those times that we felt comfortable allowing G and lil H to ride by themselves and we'd wait right there for them to get off.

Never, ever, veer away from the plan. Ever.  I'll get to that in a minute.

The helicopter right in front of the boys was open and H and I decided to hop in.  When the ride was over we'd just jump out, grab the boys, and head to the next attraction.

Here are a few photos.  I didn't even need to put the camera in sport mode.   :))

P1020676.jpg

P1020678.jpg

P1020679.jpg

An oncoming Whirlybird.

P1020680.jpg

P1020682.jpg

P1020683.jpg

Ok, so it wasn't Expedition Everest but we had a little quiet time and relaxation.  That would be short lived.

The Whirlybird flew back into the station...door opened... we're trying to unbuckle the seatbelt  when the attendant does the unthinkable.  They let our boys out of the ride, closed our door and accidentally sent us on another ride as I was screaming "MY KIDS!!!!  MY KIDS!!!!" over and over.    

Let that sink in for a minute.....

Lil H... and Gabe....  without adult supervision while we are on a ride and are unable to do anything about the situation.  

H and I immediately went into an adrenaline rush.  I nearly had a meltdown and became scared and extremely angry all at once.  We were continually looking out hoping and praying that Gabe didn't take that opportunity to bolt to only the Lord knows where.  I can't begin to tell you how big the knot in my stomach had gotten at this point.  Isn't is amazing how several minutes can feel like an eternity?

As we got closer to the station we had the boys in our sights.  They were at the top of the stairs, on the OUTSIDE of the gate.  Lil H was in tears.  Of course we were yelling at the top of our lungs trying to get his attention and reassure him it would be ok but he couldn't hear us at that point.

Finally, when we got a little closer, he saw us and was smiling huge through his tears.  We were right there where we could see and speak to them but not quite up to where you disembark so we kept talking to them trying to keep their attention and calm lil H down. Then we saw Gabe take off down the stairs and lil H bolted after him and brought him back up.    Big H is hot as a firecracker by now and is yelling at the attendant that he'd BETTER keep those kids safe until we got out.    When we are finally off that ride and I have my kids in my arms.....  well, it wasn't pretty... or kind.  Two attendants and a crowd of people knew exactly what I thought of the whole matter.... and they kept hearing it as I went down the stairs.  My final words as I looked back up  "AND AN APOLOGY WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TOO!!!"    We were walking away when one of the attendants, who looked like she'd finally caught onto the seriousness of the situation, was chasing behind us.  We stopped to let her catch up and she very sincerely apologized.  We accepted her apology and moved on.   

Lesson learned.  Never veer from the original plan at the last minute.  We did allow the boys to ride by themselves on other attractions but only with us waiting at the exit.  If they ride together ... we wait. No exceptions.

Just to sum up a few thoughts on this and then I'm done.  Lil H did tell the attendants on duty that Gabe had autism so they knew it.  Yet they still put him on the outside of the gate at the top of very steep stairs that he could have fallen down, bolted down or worse yet... anyone could have grabbed his hand and been gone, actually that goes for both kids.   Lil H had the pressure of keeping G safe and confined until we got there.  No wonder he was crying.  Poor kid.   We bragged on him good fashioned for stepping up and being such a great older brother.  

Carowinds is a nice park but the staff aren't always professional or perhaps even capable of knowing what to do in certain scenarios.  This really could have been bad.    Rant now complete.

We had gotten a refillable cup at lunch and this seemed like a great time to cool down with a soda.  After we were calmed down and feeling a little more refreshed, lil H decided he wanted to ride the Snoopy Pirate ship's.  It's kind of like a mini Himalaya at the fair.  I had my doubts but he insisted.

ETA:  They were playing "Under the Sea" in this area.  Cracked us up.  I wonder if they were trying to make us forget where we were.  They played a lot of good music so not sure why they decided to play a Disney song.  :))

P1020684.jpg

P1020685.jpg

P1020686.jpg

P1020687.jpg

P1020688.jpg

P1020689.jpg

P1020690.jpg

P1020691.jpg

Those happy faces didn't stay happy long.  Poor lil H got sick from the spinning.  He'd already wanted to ride a ride that he was deemed too tall for.  (even though he wasn't as I measured him myself), The Peanuts characters kept walking away just as lil H got up there for a photo, the Whirlybird incident and now this.   Oy! Other than Dinosaurs Alive we're not doing so hot so far.

Little H wanted to see the Charlie Brown Pirate Adventure Show but it wasn't time yet sooooo...

Maybe a train ride?  A slow train ride with all of us together?  Yep.  Sounded good to all.

P1020692.jpg

P1020695.jpg

One more refill in our refillable cup and we're ready to take our seats for the Pirate Adventure.

P1020696.jpg

P1020697.jpg

I am not going to comment on the show other than this...  While watching this show I was constantly reminded of Ray Stevens'  "The Pirate Song". That is all.

I need to stop here for a bit but there's more coming up.  I'm sorry but there is.   ;D

Geez.  Poor Lil' H. It sounds like he did a good job in that situation.  I am glad that someone apologized.  So sorry that you all had to go through that.

A Charlie Brown Pirate Show?  Now that sounds. . . . what's the word I'm looking for?  . . .unique?

TCD

Thank you.  He did do a good job.  He told us later that Gabe did run all the way down the stairs at one point and he had to go bring him all the way back up.  We were proud of him.

Unique is being very generous and kind. :))

Kim, I am thoroughly enjoying your trip report.  Would you believe we live 90 minutes from Carowinds and have never been there?  David refuses to go. 

You must be so proud of Lil' H!  He took such good care of Gabe.  He is obviously a very responsible, caring young man!

I am amazed that they have that whirlybird ride considering Lou says it costs 100 million dollars a mile to build one of those elevated rail things.

Those actors in the pirate show have some gigantic heads.

I was waiting for somebody to get sick. Mission accomplished.

Good Lord!!! I just had to get up and walk about for a moment, you grab little H for me and kiss those cheeks and tell him that EVERYONE is very proud of what a wonderful little man he is.. shew lawdy honey, my crazy eyes just came out. 

Note to self:  NO Carowinds for Judy, an incident like that would require me to acost a poor innocent person that was probalby not even in the park that day..

(remember ya'll love me, even the crazy part :heart:)

I just back from a a quick day Hershey Park in PA.  As I posted when I was in the Park on my FB Account, that I now understand why I like Disney so much.  Although the Cast Members may not want to be there, Most of them do not show that.  They do whatever they can to make the day/vacation magical in anyway.  At Hershey, it felt like they were being made to do it, did not care.  I liked some of the Thrill Rides at Hershey, and my DD3 loved some of the kiddie rides, but the demeanor of the staff just did not make me feel wanted.

Good Lord!!! I just had to get up and walk about for a moment, you grab little H for me and kiss those cheeks and tell him that EVERYONE is very proud of what a wonderful little man he is.. shew lawdy honey, my crazy eyes just came out. 

Note to self:  NO Carowinds for Judy, an incident like that would require me to acost a poor innocent person that was probalby not even in the park that day..

especially the crazy part :heart:

Z would love those dinos! What city is this again? Looks like it could be a fun weekend trip.

I believe someone answered that for me further down in the comments but I'll tell ya..

Half in Charlotte, NC  and half in Rock Hill, SC.  Four coasters cross state lines. :))

You're right it is a fun weekend trip.

Kim, I am thoroughly enjoying your trip report.  Would you believe we live 90 minutes from Carowinds and have never been there?  David refuses to go. 

You must be so proud of Lil' H!  He took such good care of Gabe.  He is obviously a very responsible, caring young man!

You're that close and have never been?  Wow!  Then again you don't like thrill rides if I remember correctly so it might not be much fun for you anyway.  Unless you like kiddie rides then you'd have a ball. 

Thankyou.  lil H is a great kid.  Well they both are but I was especially proud of him that day.

What a heartbreaking moment for you.  I too would have been beside myself.  I am so glad it turned out okay in the end.

Being besides myself would be a gross understatement.   :blowup: 

I am amazed that they have that whirlybird ride considering Lou says it costs 100 million dollars a mile to build one of those elevated rail things.

Those actors in the pirate show have some gigantic heads.

I was waiting for somebody to get sick. Mission accomplished.

Disney should learn a lesson from Carowinds.  Forget about the Monorails and just build Whirlybirds.  

I promised to make no further comment on the pirate show. So I won't. 

I just wish it hadn't been lil H.  His day was rough enough without hurling.

You give Lil H a hug and tell him he did an awesome job... I got stressed out just reading

Will do!  :heartsmiley:

My crazy eyes may have even topped your crazy eyes for a moment.  I'm sure I saw fear in a few faces. It was tough fighting the urge to choke those people until their eyes bugged out.... :bugeyes:

Ahhhh don't write off Carowinds for a quick getaway.  The coasters are great!  Even though I only rode one.... I've heard and I believe it because I saw them up close.

You kiddin' me?  The crazy eyes are one of my favorite parts! :heart: Muah!

I just back from a a quick day Hershey Park in PA.  As I posted when I was in the Park on my FB Account, that I now understand why I like Disney so much.  Although the Cast Members may not want to be there, Most of them do not show that.  They do whatever they can to make the day/vacation magical in anyway.  At Hershey, it felt like they were being made to do it, did not care.  I liked some of the Thrill Rides at Hershey, and my DD3 loved some of the kiddie rides, but the demeanor of the staff just did not make me feel wanted.

Yep.  Agreed.  :clint:

Please also give Little H a hug and huge thank you from me as well.

You did not state it, but I was wondering did any adult guests in the area attempt to help or console Little H while the boys were waiting?

Thank you and no, they did not.  But I don't think they could have gotten to him as the areas were separated with rails.  Lil H did just tell me that the workers tried to make him feel better when he started to cry.  Too little too late especially since they didn't even try to keep Gabe safe knowing his disorder.  Grrrr.

especially the crazy part :heart:

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Just want to tell everyone that lil H appreciates the kind words and says "THANK YOU!".  He was all smiles.  Thank you.