Read there was construction equipment doing some demolition.  Haven't been there for a couple of weeks.  Won't be going until after July 4th holiday.

Where did you read that?

I personally visited the old River Country site yesterday, July 1, 2013.  There is no construction equipment present.  Nothing has changed there.  Nothing is going on.  It continues to just sit and rot.

TCD

Where did you read that?

I personally visited the old River Country site yesterday, July 1, 2013.  There is no construction equipment present.  Nothing has changed there.  Nothing is going on.  It continues to just sit and rot.

TCD

Not sure where Arcticfox read it, but I saw someone post something about construction at RC at that other site.  Of course I didn't think much of it since the Fiends would have reported it.

Where did you read that?

TCD

It's strange that I now root for it to sit and rot. 

Thanks for the update.  Part of me is happy that the haven't torn it down since I'm always hoping deep down that they'll re-open it someday since it would be so convenient to bike from the Fort.

Realistically, I know that will never happen but it's such a shame to just let it sit and rot.  I wonder if there's any chance they'll ever expand the Fort in that direction and re-use some of it as another Fort pool.

Thanks for the update.  Part of me is happy that the haven't torn it down since I'm always hoping deep down that they'll re-open it someday since it would be so convenient to bike from the Fort.

Realistically, I know that will never happen but it's such a shame to just let it sit and rot.  I wonder if there's any chance they'll ever expand the Fort in that direction and re-use some of it as another Fort pool.

I can't see them being able to use any of what remains behind that fence- it is literally rotting away and disintegrating.  It would be cheaper to tear it all out and start over.

I can't imagine any of the current geniuses in charge approving a Fort expansion.  There's no way to work the numbers to justify using that prime piece of land for more campsites.

TCD

I can't see them being able to use any of what remains behind that fence- it is literally rotting away and disintegrating.  It would be cheaper to tear it all out and start over.

I can't imagine any of the current geniuses in charge approving a Fort expansion.  There's no way to work the numbers to justify using that prime piece of land for more campsites.

TCD

Wow, I had looked at some pictures a while back and had noticed lots of growth but hadn't realized it was in that sort of disrepair ... such a shame ...

You are probably right about Disney never using that land for a campground.  I wonder if they'll ever do any sort of expansion at the Fort (they certainly have the numbers to justify it but there might not be that much reason to actually doing it (by limiting the number of sites, it's probably much easier to justify premium prices they charge and pressuring people into early booking)).  Looking at an airial map of the area, looks like they have quite a bit of room to expand if they wanted to and could easily add some loops on either side of Frontier Way, in the land East of Big Pine Trail and maybe add another loop or two connecting to 1800/1900.

• 1 month later...

We were at the Fort this weekend, and one of the Disney cast members at the pool told her that the DVC was definitely going in.  He said that they put out surveying stakes last week.

I keep a pretty close eye on these things, and there were no survey stake present on 8/14/13.  Maybe some have gone in in the last 5 days, but I doubt it.

There are no signs that one shovel of dirt will be turned at any time in the near future on any DVC project at Fort Wilderness.

TCD

I've seen reports elsewhere of people in the last couple of months being told by Fort CMs that the DVC is happening in the near future. Not sure who the CMs are - or if it's the same one that's running around telling everyone they meet??  It's certainly not at all unusual for  random CMs to not have super accurate information when it comes to stuff like this. 

We still haven't seen are any approved/confirmed plans since the last batch came out a few years ago - and those have since expired.

Give the recent plans and and construction at the Poly, and the current re-roofing of the horse barn at the Fort... seems unlikely that anything is going to happen.

But that said, if anyone hears anything, please do keep letting us know.

With our eagle-eye Fiends on the Scene keeping superclose tabs on these things, I have no doubt that if/when there's a green light on a DVC project at the Fort, that the Fiends will likely be the first to confirm.  :)

We were at the Fort this weekend, and one of the Disney cast members at the pool told her that the DVC was definitely going in.  He said that they put out surveying stakes last week.

Take what CMs tell you with a boulder size grain of salt.

It's certainly not at all unusual for  random CMs to not have super accurate information when it comes to stuff like this. 

Yup

I hate to call this a hit and run thread but....

I can see why you'd think, but on here, it doesn't matter. We'll either debunk, confirm it, or hijack the heck out of it to the point where it's not recognizable.

I hate to call this a hit and run thread but....

Yup.

I think there are only two members of that other site who answer all the questions.  The problem is, they visit the Fort once a year if they're lucky.

Ask them anything about what's going on currently, and you're out of luck.  So, the loyal members there have to sneak over here to ask questions.  It's the only place to get accurate information about the Fort.

TCD