Wireless Internet available or upgraded?

Hello fellow campers,   We will be at the fort this August and I am wondering if wdw has upgraded or changed the wifi accessibility.  We will be in loop 400 and looking for some info if wifi is avail there? Reason being, If wifi is there I can use a web cam to monitor my trailer temps (ie power outage etc...) for the air conditioner, thus keeping my pup nice and comfy.  Otherwise I will just leave a smartphone and remotely snap a picture.

frank

There is internet access at the campsites but if you want it to be wireless you have to bring your own router.  You will have to pick up a modem at the front desk or trading post. They will require you leave a CC on file and will charge 125 if you do not return it but there is no $10 a day charge like there used to be.

:annce: Oh and Welcome to fort fiends :welcome2:  :welcome:

Exactly what Memphis said. We're here now and the only option provided by the fort at sites is still wired. With a router from home though it can be done...

I am somewhat confused.   Bring a router?  Does that mean there is a 10/100 Ethernet cable there at the sites or is the singal wireless already and you need their modem to access it?

Sorry for double triple posts......iPad really stinks sometimes!

You get a cable modem from the Meadows and connect it in your camper using the splitter they provide. I usually do it behind the tv. That gives you wired internet. Then, if you want, you can bring a wireless router to connect to that to have WiFi. I have a $13 one that I use just for travel. That way, if I forget it, no big deal.

Enjoy your trip!

It's std coaxial cable (that you provide At least 50' to be safe) from utility box to camper and then to modem.  There is an Ethernet cable that comes out of the modem that you can either connect to a computer or to a wireless router that you provide.

Hmmm, don't mean to pester, but you said you'll be in 400 as though it were a settled fact. I'm just wondering if things have changed in the last 4 years and you can get a firm assignment now a days. I say with "some" certainty that I'll probably be in 300 on our next trip but that's just because we've reserved a preferred and have a pet loop request (narrows it a bit) but I have no allusions that Fort mgmt might put me in 100 or 200 without a second thought. Anyhow, just wondering.

Hmmm, don't mean to pester, but you said you'll be in 400 as though it were a settled fact. I'm just wondering if things have changed in the last 4 years and you can get a firm assignment now a days. I say with "some" certainty that I'll probably be in 300 on our next trip but that's just because we've reserved a preferred and have a pet loop request (narrows it a bit) but I have no allusions that Fort mgmt might put me in 100 or 200 without a second thought. Anyhow, just wondering.

Nothing has changed....I assume the OP means that they requested and are hoping for 400.  To date, I have always gotten the loop I've requested, and usually even the site.  But there are still not guarantees.

Unfortunately still no progress on getting WiFi to all camping loops.  People that have been in 600, close to the Meadows, have reported getting a signal, but that's about it.

A bunch of current info on Fort internet access - including getting a modem from Disney for free wired access - on this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

Thanks for the responses.  Glad to hear the Internet is a cable modem, greater bandwidth during non peak useage and it just so happens I have an older wireless router.   Does any now if the cable modem they provide has multiple outputs (doubles as a wired router)?  They usually have two to four ports avail.

as for my reservation for loop 400, that is what I asked for and have some confidence in mgt. to put me there.  If they have to put me somewhere else, who cares I am still at disney world!!   It's a vacation not complain-ation.

frank

• 3 weeks later...

I used my iPhone/AT&T as a hotspot. Worked very well. Still think it a pile of you know what, that Disney doesn't implement a decent wifi infrastructure. The list of excuses is long and distinguished, but none hold water. Just do it!

I used my iPhone/AT&T as a hotspot. Worked very well. Still think it a pile of you know what, that Disney doesn't implement a decent wifi infrastructure. The list of excuses is long and distinguished, but none hold water. Just do it!

My sources tell me that Disney's environmental experts have concluded that 802.11n signals can interfere with the reproductive habits of armadillos.  Therefore the Fort will never get wifi throughout all the loops. 

My sources tell me that Disney's environmental experts have concluded that 802.11n signals can interfere with the reproductive habits of armadillos.  Therefore the Fort will never get wifi throughout all the loops.

Ok....that one holds water

Ok....that one holds water

Did the bussboy tell you that or was it the waitress?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

To clarify loop assignments - unless you have reserved a site in the 3000 loop with me, you can be assigned anyplace at the Fort, including the parking lot.

Are the stupid raccoons in a half shell protected???????????