Aloha! GaDawgFan turns a convention into a week-long stay at the Poly

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time to start my trip report, while I still remember what happened! Shortly after returning from our April trip, I started entertaining the idea of coming back to Disney for a conference that my

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hija

I am proud of you for allowing Z to pose with a Gator.     Twin #1 wanted to go to MK to meet Louis.  I can't remember why we couldn't go- but that Limited Time magic fell some time when we couldn't.

Thanks Jason. My parents don't like not knowing where they are going and wandering.

That's all he has to say? Maybe he's saving it for his report!

I'm a little behind, but Z is one cute pirate!! And I love the HDDR...can't wait to take my kiddos next time. 

It's OK you're behind. Thanks for reading! Z had a blast being a pirate and at the HDDR. It was such a good trip!

Thanks for the great pics! Deluxe cabana looks oh-so-fancy!

Mom question- so if you are sitting in a chair on the beach can you still keep an eye on the kiddos? Or do you have to sit closer?

It is fancy. I'm still not sure it's worth 3 times the price of the normal one though. Yes, you could see the beach from parts of it. And I guess it would also be good if you have a larger group because it has more seating.

It’s time for our last full day!

We took the monorail over to the MK for rope drop. Maybe Lou or someone can chime in here…. I never saw a place to catch a bus to Epcot or MK from the Poly. Is there a bus route?

The plan for the day was more laid back than our previous MK rope drop. Z wanted to see his fiancé Rapunzel, and he also wanted to ride BTMRR 3 times. Mom and I wanted to ride Splash. We figured we’d fill in the rest.

Time for the opening show.

IMG_0445.jpg

Ipad.

IMG_0448.jpg

We decided to take care of Rapunzel at opening, so we could FP and then ride BTMRR. We figured that would be our best chance of getting 3 rides.

But as I was parking the stroller, we got some Limited Time Magic. Guess who came over and walked us to their picture area. Dr. Facilier and Louis from the Princess and the Frog! Z looked at him weird because he’s seen the movie several times and knows he’s a bad guy. The photopass photographer was snapping away before we even knew it, so we have really cool pictures of that coming.

But this is what you get for now.

IMG_0451.jpg

Hey Dave, that shirt’s for you! Speaking of that shirt, I got a lot of compliments on it in the park. I got it from the online Disney Store.

Then, it’s girlfriend time! And that’s the same Rapunzel as last time. He didn’t seem confused that she didn’t mention their wedding again.

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

Cinderella was AWESOME! Honestly, Z told me she looked a little funny. I told him she just wasn’t wearing as much make-up. But her interaction was amazing. She saw his shoes light up and asked him if they could trade.

IMG_0456.jpg

He thought that was really funny. She spent a lot of time talking to him.

IMG_0457.jpg

We got to BTMRR, and it wasn’t open. FAIL. And FPs were out to 11AM. I’m guessing they weren’t issuing ones for earlier because it was down. We grabbed a set and decided to head to Splash.

Z was excited for his first time on Splash but then started getting nervous about getting wet. He hid his head in a poncho for the pic, so you can’t even see him. But then he wanted to ride again. He always wants to when he loves a ride.

At that point, it was about 10 and we figured out that Jesse and Woody would be coming out in less than 5 minutes. So we hopped in the line. We were 2nd.

IMG_2703.jpg

At that point I was hungry. I hadn’t eaten anything that morning because I was saving my appetite for….

IMG_2704.jpg

Ahhh…… we grabbed a seat with a castle view, and it was perfect. I really need to talk Jason into APs, so I don’t feel like I have to rush around and can do more of this.

We decided to go tell Tiana about the mean voodoo man being at the MK, but all my pictures are on the photopass.

It was time for ride #1 of the day on BTMRR. It was the 2nd ride of the trip though. Of course, Z had a goal, so I pulled another FP because we rode.

Put your hands up!

IMG_2706.jpg

After that, mom needed to shop. She had one of those 20% off coupons that has to be used before 1 or 2. We shopped and shopped. Or really, I got a few things and then just walked around. I like to get kitchen souvenirs that let me add a little magic to our regular life. I picked up a Mickey ice cube tray and a Mickey sandwich cutter.

I’ve used the sandwich cutter twice this week. Apparently, it’s a huge hit with Z’s new class. This was his lunch today.

null-32.jpg

Not sure where this was taken, but Z talked Mom into getting him Pascal during the shopping trip.

IMG_2711.jpg

We grabbed lunch at Casey’s Corner and somehow managed to get an inside AKA air conditioned table. It was OK, but I probably wouldn’t eat there again. I’d hop the monorail for one of those turkey/brie/apple sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We used our FPs for ride #2 on BTMRR.

Then, it was time for our afternoon break. We headed took the monorail back to the Poly. That makes me think of something I found really funny but don’t think I’ve mentioned. You know that store that we all make fun of at the Poly? Well, my mom used to go to Hawaii a lot because my stepdad won trips there. Apparently the guy is some really famous artist in Hawaii. She thought it was sooooooooooooooooooo cool that his art was there. I told her it was funny and that I don’t know who would put that stuff in their house. She answered…. Really rich people.

We came back to another towel animal.

IMG_2707.jpg

OK, I’m hungry now. My next post will finish up the day and include our disappointing dinner at Be Our Guest.

That's all he has to say? Maybe he's saving it for his report!

It's OK you're behind. Thanks for reading! Z had a blast being a pirate and at the HDDR. It was such a good trip!

It is fancy. I'm still not sure it's worth 3 times the price of the normal one though. Yes, you could see the beach from parts of it. And I guess it would also be good if you have a larger group because it has more seating.

I was working and answering a question. I have been posting in my trip report. 

What a great day so far!  I truly enjoy the days when we only have a couple of things planned and we can just kind of "see what happens".

Can't wait to hear about Be Our Guest - was thinking of doing that one for lunch on our next trip... Belle is DD's all time favorite princess.

I was working and answering a question. I have been posting in my trip report. 

I just like giving you a hard time. :)

Kelly, how was the heat? I don't know if you mentioned it and I missed it but was it manageable?

It was hot. LOL! Seriously though, we always take an afternoon break from about 1-5. That's when it's the hottest and most crowded. I'd rather nap.

What a great day so far!  I truly enjoy the days when we only have a couple of things planned and we can just kind of "see what happens".

Can't wait to hear about Be Our Guest - was thinking of doing that one for lunch on our next trip... Belle is DD's all time favorite princess.

Lunch is different from dinner because it's counter service, but I've heard it's awesome. Our experience this time wasn't good, but check out my trip report from April. We LOVED our dinner that night.

We did lunch at BOG and had a good meal.  Sorry that the second dinner was not as good as the first one.  Not done Casey's either.  For some reason, hot dogs just don't appeal to us while in the parks.  Mom can make those back at the trailer for way less money.

I've never eaten at Casey's.  Never seemed I was missing much, and you're not the first Fiend to confirm that. 

We did lunch at BOG and had a good meal.  Sorry that the second dinner was not as good as the first one.  Not done Casey's either.  For some reason, hot dogs just don't appeal to us while in the parks.  Mom can make those back at the trailer for way less money.

Yeah, I don't think I'll eat there again. I was a matter of convenience. We had been shopping on Main Street and had BTMRR fastpasses. We wanted to eat in that general area and had eaten at Pecos Bill's a couple days earler. We should have just gone back there and ordered something different. Or ridden BTMRR and then eaten at the Contemporary, so I could get another one of those crack sandwiches. Yes, that's what we should have done!!!!

Awe, I was thinking that Cinderella looked more like the one in the movie.  She was not heavily made up in the movie.  I thought she was kinda sweet in a fresh wholesome kind of way.  And how often can you say that in this sex to sell world?

We enjoy dropping in at Casey's- mainly because we like to sit in the side room on those little bleachers watching the old cartoons!  :heart:

I think Z thought Cinderella looked odd because it almost looks like her wig is slipping.  She needs to fix her bangs or something. 

Aren't they testing some kind of FP thing where you can sign up for lunch at BoG? 

I agree with Z - that Cinderella does look a little funny.

Awesome lunch you packed for him!  

If I'm in the mood for a hot dog at WDW it has to be the Southern Smothered at the Meadow Snack Bar.  They are the best!

He's a great eater. I'm lucky that way. That hot dog does sound pretty good!

Awe, I was thinking that Cinderella looked more like the one in the movie.  She was not heavily made up in the movie.  I thought she was kinda sweet in a fresh wholesome kind of way.  And how often can you say that in this sex to sell world?

Very true. And she was REALLY sweet.

Z has his priorities straight.

Chicks.

Thrill rides.

Awesome.

The pics and that shop are just plain weird.

Back to the Poly. Is it dole whip time?

Amen.

We enjoy dropping in at Casey's- mainly because we like to sit in the side room on those little bleachers watching the old cartoons!  :heart:

I think Z thought Cinderella looked odd because it almost looks like her wig is slipping.  She needs to fix her bangs or something. 

Aren't they testing some kind of FP thing where you can sign up for lunch at BoG? 

They are testing FP+ at BOG. My friend got an invite, but we didn't.

We returned to the MK for our dinner at Be Our Guest. We had eaten there on our trip in April and LOVED it, so I was excited when Disney opened up more availability and we were able to get an ADR.

I forgot that I had pulled Space FP when we were leaving. I really wanted to get Z that third ride on BTMRR, but the FP time wasn’t out far enough. I pulled Space instead, so I rode on the way to dinner. Z was mad that he’s not tall enough to ride.  I got a child swap pass, so that left me 2 FPs that were expiring soon. So I played FP Fairy. I think the wait was about 90 minutes or so. There was a couple entering the line, and she had a birthday button on. I told her Happy Birthday and gave them the FPs that they could use right then. I had to explain to them how FP works. It’s still weird to me that people don’t figure that out before going. Anyway, they were very happy.

We arrived at Be Our Guest as it started raining.

IMG_2728.jpg

Z really wanted to eat in the West Wing, but they told us it would be up to an hour wait and wouldn’t get more specific, so we ate in the ballroom. He was a little upset, but mom and I were fine with that.

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2712.jpg

Pascal joined us. Luckily, we had an extra seat for him.

IMG_2719.jpg

Let’s start with some good stuff…. Our waitress was great, very nice and attentive.

After ordering, I took Z to see the West Wing.

IMG_2714.jpg

Mom and I both started with the soup because I’ve heard great things about it. It was delicious!!!!

Our entrees came out VERY quickly. I think that’s where the problem came from….. they aren’t cooking to order.

Z got the chicken kids’ meal. I know people complain about the selection for kids, but Z prefers adult-type food, so it’s great for us.

IMG_2717.jpg

Mom ordered the muscles (or is it clams) appetizer as her dinner. They came out cold. After a couple of them, she decided to say something because she couldn’t eat them. Our waitress was great and sent them back.

I had the scallop/shrimp dish last time and really enjoyed it, but I wasn’t in a seafood mood, and I wanted to try something else, so I ordered the new chicken dish.

IMG_2718.jpg

The flavor was delicious, but the one side of the chicken was barely warm, and as I made my way to the potatoes, I realized they were basically cold. I think they are precooking all the food and reheating it.

Mom’s new food came, and while the broth poured over it was nice and warm, but actual muscles weren’t. She ate a couple more and just decided she’d be fine with bread and the soup. I didn’t even say anything about my meal, but it was very disappointing, especially compared to my experience in April. Mom had also eaten at BOG on a previous trip with some of my NJ family, so she was shocked as well.

Z loved his pasta and was so excited about it that he had me take a bite. Cute because I think he got that from watching Jason and I when we’re at restaurants. I can say, it was good!

We decided to order dessert. Again, our waitress was being super. She kept the drinks coming, and when she saw mom didn’t eat the second plate, took them off our bill.

Dessert! And it was great!

IMG_2723.jpg

I love the printing on the chocolate

IMG_2724.jpg

We got grey stuff, probably because the waitress felt bad about our dinner.

IMG_2720.jpg

I left kind of bummed about the experience. BOG is such a pretty restaurant with great detail and so much potential to be perfect. And it April, it was fantastic. But, I feel like the food is going downhill, and I think Disney knows it too. We got surveyed on the way out. One of the questions specifically asked about food temperature, so I was able to let them know.

When we left, it was still raining, so we headed over to Philharmagic. Pascal was really excited about seeing the show for the first time.

IMG_2729.jpg

Then, Z requested to ride the Haunted Mansion again. He likes that bride that much. I’m worried.

We ended with Pirates, fitting because that was also our first ride.

We were hoping that the fireworks would go off. The parade had been cancelled. We walked up just as the projection show was starting. Mom had never seen it, so she was really excited. It’s a favorite of Jason and me as well. And I knew that it meant the fireworks would be done as well.

IMG_2732.jpg

At first our view was blocked some, but not bad for walking up just as everything started. We moved at some point.

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

It was a great ending to our last night. The next day was Saturday, the day we had to leave. But staying true to the rest of our trip, we packed in as much as possible. Since our flights were at night, we had an ADR at `Ohana for breakfast and a reservation for the Behind the Seeds tour in the afternoon. Stay tuned for that, especially if you’re a gardening nerd.

Finally caught up. A few comments

Ohana. Eat everything and lots of everything.

Z as chip, kiss from Ariel. What a stud!

Pirate Z and hands up on BTMRR! A real mans man.

Great parade pix. Somebody explain to my why you would want to carry a iPad around to take pix. Buy a IPhone!

Turkey and Brie sammich! Yummy.

Fort, Hoop Dee Doo with Jason and Sil. What a great night!

MK and BOG for your last night! Awesome!

Sorry food was not up to par.

Thanks for the final fireworks pix.

Regarding BOG...it's a huge restaurant so I'm not surprised they devised a system to just make a bunch of each entree and pump them out to get guests out as quickly as possible.  However, if they can't get those plates to tables at the correct temp, then they have some work to do.  That is completely unacceptable.  They designed a gorgeous restaurant and a menu which, while family friendly, certainly hints toward higher end.  And being as they designed and built the kitchen from the ground up, there is no excuse for not building a sufficient enough prep area to ensure hot meals are leaving the kitchen. 

I pray this doesn't become yet another Disney restaurant that fails to live up to expectations.  In particular as it opened so strong.  I loved our experience there last year!  Time will tell, I guess. 

Regarding BOG...it's a huge restaurant so I'm not surprised they devised a system to just make a bunch of each entree and pump them out to get guests out as quickly as possible.  However, if they can't get those plates to tables at the correct temp, then they have some work to do.  That is completely unacceptable.  They designed a gorgeous restaurant and a menu which, while family friendly, certainly hints toward higher end.  And being as they designed and built the kitchen from the ground up, there is no excuse for not building a sufficient enough prep area to ensure hot meals are leaving the kitchen. 

I pray this doesn't become yet another Disney restaurant that fails to live up to expectations.  In particular as it opened so strong.  I loved our experience there last year!  Time will tell, I guess. 

I agree with this 100%.  It is inexcusable for the food to be served cold.  Not for the prices they charge.

I have no doubt that the food is mass produced and not cooked to order- you can tell that by the limited menu and the items on it. That in and of itself is not a problem-as long as the food isn't prepared too far in advance, and it is served at proper temperature to the customer. That survey question at the end speaks volumes.  Shame on the idiots in charge for cutting corners. Sadly, this is the way Disney does business.  We have seen it over and over.  Raise prices.  Cut corners.  It's all about the bottom line.  As long as guests continue to flock in and throw their money at them, don't expect anything to change for the better.

TCD

We figured it was mass produced and waiting on a hot line to be picked up when our lunch came out so quickly.  I did not expect that to be the case for dinner.  Sorry your food was cold or barely lukewarm.  That is unacceptable.

Sorry about your BOG meal.

Cold food SMB.

Unless it is supposed to be cold.

Yes it does. Especially when you've been looking forward to it for a long time.

Finally caught up. A few comments

Ohana. Eat everything and lots of everything.

Z as chip, kiss from Ariel. What a stud!

Pirate Z and hands up on BTMRR! A real mans man.

Great parade pix. Somebody explain to my why you would want to carry a iPad around to take pix. Buy a IPhone!

Turkey and Brie sammich! Yummy.

Fort, Hoop Dee Doo with Jason and Sil. What a great night!

MK and BOG for your last night! Awesome!

Sorry food was not up to par.

Thanks for the final fireworks pix.

Thanks for chatching up! Z really had a blast. I don't get the iPad thing either. I own one, but I'd never carry it around a theme park.

Sorry about your BOG meal.  Hopefully Disney will get the problems corrected quickly.  

I'm hoping so! Our soup and dessert was great, but soup shouldn't be the highlight of a meal.

I agree with this 100%.  It is inexcusable for the food to be served cold.  Not for the prices they charge.

I have no doubt that the food is mass produced and not cooked to order- you can tell that by the limited menu and the items on it. That in and of itself is not a problem-as long as the food isn't prepared too far in advance, and it is served at proper temperature to the customer. That survey question at the end speaks volumes.  Shame on the idiots in charge for cutting corners. Sadly, this is the way Disney does business.  We have seen it over and over.  Raise prices.  Cut corners.  It's all about the bottom line.  As long as guests continue to flock in and throw their money at them, don't expect anything to change for the better.

TCD

Actually, you guys are right. Precooking the food and keeping it warm is OK as long as it doesn't sit around too long and is served hot. I'm wondering if something changed when they opened the 3rd dining room. BUT, the 3rd dining room was also partially open in April, and we didn't have that problem. Hopefully more people took the time to do the survey and told them that they weren't happy with the food temp.

That really SMB about the food at BOG. I'm glad they took your mom's off the bill and you got to do a survey to tell them it.

I was so glad to see the survey! And like I said, our waitress was excellent, so I was really happy about that.