Aloha! GaDawgFan turns a convention into a week-long stay at the Poly

It’s time to start my trip report, while I still remember what happened! Shortly after returning from our April trip, I started entertaining the idea of coming back to Disney for a conference that my university has every year. (I’m working on my doctorate in reading education.) I knew Jason couldn’t take another week off work, so I mentioned it to my mom. She said she’d love to meet us there and watch Z while I attended the conference part. She even offered to chip in on the room. So then I had to decide where to stay.

I contemplated the Fort first, but I don’t drive my RV. Once I added up the cost of a campsite, camper rental, and golf cart, it was about the same as the amazing conference rate I was offered. Plus, mom wasn’t OK with not having a bathroom.  My hotel options were the Contemporary or the Poly. Jason and I stayed at the Contemporary last time I went to this conference. Z was only a few months old, so it was easier for me to be close to the room. Since I had never stayed at the Poly, I was leaning that way. Then Mom said she preferred it, so the Poly won.

The day before we left, I had my nails done. Love them!

IMG_2441.jpg

We had an EARLY morning flight. Z was excited.

IMG_2444.jpg

And then he was tired.

IMG_2445.jpg

I had upgraded us to business class for a reasonable fee the night before in hopes he would sleep with more room. It worked!

We met up with my mom at the Magical Express. She flew in from NJ.

IMG_2448.jpg

Pretty soon, we were on the bus!

IMG_2449.jpg

Mom just got a smart phone. She hasn’t figured out apps yet, but she can email. This is very novel to her.

IMG_2450.jpg

After stopping at the Fort and the Contemporary, we arrived at the Poly! We were greeted by a guy with an ipad and ushered to check in. It only took a few minutes.

IMG_0122.jpg

We had put in a room request for the Samoa building, a balcony, and a room that adjoined to my friend who would be there for a couple of days. They told me the chance of adjoining rooms with different check-in days was slim, but we got all of our requests! YAY!!! I texted my friend who was in the MK to let her know we had arrived and got our room request.

Then it was off to our room.

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

The view from our balcony

IMG_2451.jpg

That’s all for this update! Coming up, Z gets a haircut, we survive a mini-tornado, and I get my first Lapu Lapu.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s time to start my trip report, while I still remember what happened! Shortly after returning from our April trip, I started entertaining the idea of coming back to Disney for a conference that my

You're right...that was my fault.  Maybe it will become like Godwin's Law and Hitler references....we could have Aaron's Law, which states that bringing Weiner into the discussion is the ultimate hija

I am proud of you for allowing Z to pose with a Gator.     Twin #1 wanted to go to MK to meet Louis.  I can't remember why we couldn't go- but that Limited Time magic fell some time when we couldn't.

Am I to understand you flew to Orlando, got to the resort and checked in without eating a thing??  Ok, just kidding....I know from some of your live posting that you do have some pood forn to share. 

So what are your impressions of the Poly rooms?  I have always wondered how a Deluxe Resort built in the early 70's compares to the newer resorts.  I know it's been remodeled, but the room and bathroom dimensions are what they are, so I assume there are no walk in showers or other more modern deluxe ameneties.  Just wondered if you thought the rooms were "worth it"...setting aside the overall resort location and ameneties. 

Oh how fun!  Can't wait to read more!  Love the mani.

Do you teach?  I teach high school math.

Am I the first one here???

You are first! Congrats and thanks for reading! And yes, I'm a high school English teacher. Now everyone will be double checking my grammar!

The pic of Z on the plane all wide eyed is adorable!!

Thanks! :)

Fun start!!

Fun start to a fun trip!

Yeah!!

Looking forward to reading more.

I swear Z gets cuter with each picture posted of him.

Awwwww.... thanks! He loves to be photographed, probably because he is so much.

Awesome report!

Parts of it sound very familiar but can't wait to read more.

WBI

Yes, I'm enjoying your report too!

Great start!

Thanks for reading!

Pretty nails.  Totally gets one in the mood.

Looking forward to much more.

It did get me in the mood. And a mani/pedi is always relaxing!

Am I to understand you flew to Orlando, got to the resort and checked in without eating a thing??  Ok, just kidding....I know from some of your live posting that you do have some pood forn to share. 

So what are your impressions of the Poly rooms?  I have always wondered how a Deluxe Resort built in the early 70's compares to the newer resorts.  I know it's been remodeled, but the room and bathroom dimensions are what they are, so I assume there are no walk in showers or other more modern deluxe ameneties.  Just wondered if you thought the rooms were "worth it"...setting aside the overall resort location and ameneties. 

Yes Dave, that's what happened. But to be fair, I was greeted right off the bus. I do have pood forn coming. Actually, some non-Disney pood forn will be in the next update.

The rooms at the Poly are actually bigger than some of the other deluxe resorts. I know they are bigger than the Wilderness Lodge. My building had just been refurbed too, which was nice. The elevator was tiny, and that made the stroller tricky. As far as "worth it".... I wouldn't pay full price to stay there, but I wouldn't pay that much for just a room anyway. I'm not sure how often people actually pay rack rate though. My rate was more than half off that, so I think I got a GREAT value. I really, really enjoyed the hotel. That said, when I stepped on the grounds of the Fort, I felt more at home. And it made me really miss it.

I am in! Can't wait to read more. (Stall for me. I am still sorting and loading pics.)

Ha ha! I can't stall. I start working in 10 days. :( That said, you have a much better excuse because you were gone twice as long! I just upload pics day by day as I write.

I'm in!

Thanks for joining in!

Ooh - I might have actually made it on the first page!  :jumpforjoy

Loving the pics so far.  There aren't a lot of resorts on my "if I were going to stay somewhere besides the Fort" list, but this is definitely one of them.  Looking forward to hearing all about your stay there.

I'm in.

Wow, what a view from the balcony!  Awesome.

Your mom is a Gator fan, right?  Just thought that should be mentioned.

TCD

I was an awesome view! And yes, mom is a casual Gator fan. She is a HUGE Tim Tebow fan. She claims to also root for UGA, but I'm not sure that's possible to do both.

Really?  How did this tidbit escape me??

It's a dirty secret I usually hide. I lived in Longwood, FL for 7 years in elementary and middle school. My mom and stepfather entered all 4 kids in the FL prepaid college program. I'm the only one who cashed it out to go to UGA. I was living in GA at the time, so I got the HOPE scholarship. It meant that if my grades dropped, I'd have to pay, but I'm a genius and that didn't happen. But as a result, I'm the only Dawg in my family.

And my mom would make out with Tim Tebow.

Ooh - I might have actually made it on the first page!  :jumpforjoy

Loving the pics so far.  There aren't a lot of resorts on my "if I were going to stay somewhere besides the Fort" list, but this is definitely one of them.  Looking forward to hearing all about your stay there.

You did! Congrats!!! The Poly doesn't have the same place in my heart as the Fort, but I would definitely stay there again.

Love the nails!! How fun!!!!

Thanks! I'm still enjoying them.

I am in.

What a view!

I love the Poly.

Besides the Fort, the Poly is probably my favorite.

Looking forward to hopefully a picture of a trainwreck of an awesomely gigantic dole whip built by Z!!!

I can easily see why it would be your favorite other than the Fort! There is Dole Whip coming, but Z didn't make it. He can't be trusted. LOL!

Alright, time for an update. We got situated in our room, and I was starving. Luckily, mom brought me a famous South Jersey sub. I had intended to post a picture of it, but I can’t find it. These subs are so good that my southern husband begs me to have them overnighted on occasion. It’s the bread and the fact that they don’t skimp on the meat.

After quickly stuffing my face, it was time to head to the MK!!!!! The goal for the evening was to get Z’s hair cut, meet up with our friends, visit the Pirate’s League so he could see what would happen Wednesday, and take in the ambiance.

Ahhhh….. Yes! We’re at Disney!

IMG_0127.jpg

Haircut time

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

We met up with my friend, her mom, and her son. So if you’re keeping track, our group is now 2 grandmas, 2 moms, and 2 4-year-old boys. Good times!

Pirates was a walk on (that would never happen Easter week), so we rode it. The magic carpets were also a walk on, so we rode them too. But the sky was turning BLACK.

We were holding FPs for the Jungle Cruise, but just when we were about to load, it started to rain.

We took cover in the Tiki Room.

It wasn’t just raining. It was pouring.

IMG_2457.jpg

And it wasn’t stopping, so we went in the Tiki Room.

IMG_2458.jpg

That ended, and it was STILL pouring. I’m usually a throw on a poncho and keep going kind of girl, but this storm looked scary. Plus we were tired from travel, so we decided to go back to the Poly where we had dry clothes. And wine. We figured if things got better it would be easy to head back. We were supposed to eat at The Plaza but were willing to go with the flow.

Once back in the room, my friend was able to get us an ADR at Kona. Score! The boys were having a ton of fun playing; we were having a blast catching up, and our moms were really enjoying meeting each other and chatting, so we deciding eating there was the best option.

While we waited on food, my friend and I each ordered one of these.

IMG_2472.jpg

YUM!

I got the chicken noodle bowl and mom got the shrimp noodle bowl. We figured we could share. Oddly, we both agreed the chicken was better. That was unusual for shrimp lovers.

The boys’ meals came with ice cream. What they didn’t advertise was that it was build your own sundae. They LOVED it!

IMG_2476.jpg

I think they’d sell a lot more of them if they explained what you got. It was certainly better than just standard ice cream.

Those are the last of my day 1 pictures. We headed back to the room and went to bed pretty early because we had an AK rope drop the next day. And yes LOU, there was a rope.

Thanks for the update!  Z is so cute!!  And I love how each of you "had a friend" on the trip. 

Those downpours are crazy.  We were at DTD on the 3rd and had to run for cover.  We are usually a "keep going" group too, but we had to hide in Ragland Road for a while.

Good job on the Kona ADR (and the fruity drink)!  I have not eaten there but would love to try it!  I bet the kids LOVED the ice cream sundae! :yay:

And my mom would make out with Tim Tebow.

Has anyone warned him?

Luckily, mom brought me a famous South Jersey sub. I had intended to post a picture of it, but I can’t find it. These subs are so good that my southern husband begs me to have them overnighted on occasion. It’s the bread and the fact that they don’t skimp on the meat.

I am throwing the BS flag.

A South Jersey sub?

No such thing.

That was a hoagie.

TCD