Poly Rehab & Construction Application - New Buildings

I have some news for everyone.

I saw something very interesting come up today, an environmental application for rehab and construction at the Polynesian.

I had read some rumors before about adding some over water buildings for hotel rooms but this application confirms there is a little truth to that.

Here's a page from the actual application:

rpt_stormwater_report_2013_06_2614.jpg

Did you see the part about adding piles within the lagoon to support future structures?

Pretty awesome right?

Well check out how many piles they are proposing:

construction_plans_2013_07_251_Page_04.j

construction_plans_2013_07_251_Page_05.j

In case you can't read that here's a zoom of some areas:

Page4zoom.jpg

Page4Zoom1.jpg

Page4Zoom2.jpg

Page4Zoom3.jpg

As you can see they are proposing a lot of piles out int he lagoon.

They are also proposing a lot of sidewalk  and some new fire pit areas. 

This is all taking place on and around the point north of the exisiting Poly buildings.

I should add there is some boring stuff too, like changing lots of drainage and some parking.  They are also adding a weir in one of the golf course ponds to provide additional treatment for the new impervious area they are adding on the Poly site.

Ok so what do you think?

I think adding over water rooms is pretty awesome and fitting for a Poly resort.

Do you think they are DVC?

Don't forget this is the first step in permitting construction in Florida and start of construction could still be a long time from now.  Also Disney has submitted applications before and never finished permitting or started construction so who knows if they'll proceed with this one.

Remember you heard it hear on FortFiends first.

WBI

Good job, WBI!

Man, that's a lot of pilings!

If there are going to be buildings added at the Poly, I think it is a safe bet to say they will be DVC rooms.  That's what happened at the Contemporary and Grand Floridian, so why would the Polynesian be different?

The building on piling concept is interesting, because that is what we think we saw on those leaked Fort Wilderness DVC plans you found way back when.

TCD

Thanks and no problem I like seeing these construction plans.

It is a lot of piles, seems like they could support a big structure with all those. At the Fort they have plenty of property to expand and they figured out they didnt need to go out over the water, but at the Poly they don't have as much room to expand so over the water might be the best way.

You know what? I feel like these will be some grand villas over the water. If they added grand villas and then converted the Tahiti building to DVC that would probably be enough to say they have a Poly DVC.

I agree with most though, if I were to ever buy a DVC I would want a brand new building not a conversion.

WBI

If you look at the zoomed out images, I can see 13 rectangular piling groupings connected with what looks like walkways. Access to the walkways at both ends and at the end of the point with some sort of larger area.

I think the 18" columns could support 3 stories.

Looks like DVC to me, but the big question will be, were are the DVC members going to park.

I played a little connect the dots on a section of the plans:

poly_zpse5885858.jpg

Hmmm.

TCD

I think your right TCD, I traced a few of those out too and it looks like there are 20 buildings total. The 18" piles are under the building and the 14" piles are under the walkways.

It looks like each building is just over 1000 sqft. Is that about right for a grand villa, one story anyway?

WBI

I bet the folks over at PolyFiends.net are freaking out about this.  But it certainly makes more sense there than at the Fort.  And they can charge a heck of a lot more for it, IMO.  Will be kind of like Bora Bora. 

Looks nice.

Putting those buildings off the beach will also solve the crowd problem from folks there to watch the fireworks.

The huts will block the view from the beach.

TCD

Looks nice.

Putting those buildings off the beach will also solve the crowd problem from folks there to watch the fireworks.

The huts will block the view from the beach.

TCD

I agree it makes sense at the Poly and just think how much they will charge for those MK view villas over water.

Plus they'll probably still be able to get MK views from the Tahiti building.

WBI

Looks like DVC to me, but the big question will be, were are the DVC members going to park.

It would be no different than Riverside at Port Orleans where you have to walk forever to get to the rooms or back to the lobby and resturants.

Also don't you have to hike a ways to get to "Bay Lake Towers" as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Some inside info on what's doing over at the Poly.

Official word is that the construction currently going on at the Poly is a continuation of a "renovation project."

Some rooms in buildings 5, 9, 10 & 11 will have their views impacted by the construction.

Part of the east parking lot near building 11 will be temporarily closed starting next month.

Starting next month, access to the beach area on the east side of the resort will be unavailable.  Also unavailable will be access to  Sunset Pointe - the grassy hill that overlooks the Seven Seas Lagoon between the east beach and main beach, near the Nanea Volcano pool

Resort transportation will not be impacted.

And to the $64,000 question, is this construction part of a DVC at the Poly the official word is...

At this time Disney Vacation Club is focused on the existing properties that are being sold - Animal Kingdom Villas, Aulani, and The Villas at the Grand Floridian.

At this time Disney Vacation Club is focused on the existing properties that are being sold - Animal Kingdom Villas, Aulani, and The Villas at the Grand Floridian.

I wonder if they have a person on staff whose job it is to come up with responses to questions that say absolutely nothing.

I find it hard to swallow that Disney is going to put guests out over the water where anyone could fall in and no one would know until morning?

Usually the pilings mean that the ground will not be able to hold up a building by its self so in go the pilings for the concrete building to be built on top of.

Just my experience from the structural engineering side.

I find it hard to swallow that Disney is going to put guests out over the water where anyone could fall in and no one would know until morning?

Usually the pilings mean that the ground will not be able to hold up a building by its self so in go the pilings for the concrete building to be built on top of.

Just my experience from the structural engineering side.

I don't buy the villas on stilts concept either.

Considering that it was a swamp, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to drive piles in for some, if not most, of the other buildings. 

The area in question I believe is on the far right. It could be that they'll do what they did with the building on the far left that appears to be in the water.

Poly_zps8b9cdfca.jpg

If they were going to fill in those areas where the piles are shown they would have to show additional storage somewhere else, ie lake expansion. Just like they did when the filled in part of the lake for the GF expansion. They could still do that in a separate permit but why would you? Plus you know the reviewers are going to question the piles and they wouldn't allow future filling of the lake without showing expansion somewhere else.

Guests are on docks and boats all over WDW you can walk to the docks and marinas at anytime of night.

Thinking out loud... Is it better to fall off a one story villa dock into a lake or fall off a 3-story hotel balcony onto ground or concrete?

WBI