Chip & Co just posted this...

Disney World has confirmed that a Disney Magical Express bus has crashed with a car near Epcot.

The Florida Highway Patrol reported a crash with injuries on Disney around 4 p.m. today.

Epcot Center Drive is completely blocked.

It  not yet known how many people were injured or the extent of the injuries.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-magical-express-crashes-epcot-161773/

UPDATE (4:45pm): One person is dead. FHP said the victim died at Celebration Hospital. Our thoughts, prayers and pixie dust goes out to their family.

UPDATE: (5:00 PM) Reedy Creek fire officials said two people on the bus, including a child, were transported as a non-emergency precaution.

So sad.

UPDATE: (5:15 pm) Victim who died in the crash was in the car.

UPDATE: (5:25 pm) A woman on the bus took to Twitter to say that her children were traumatized by the crash.

She did not want to be identified, but said they were just arriving at Disney World when the crash happened. She said Mears told passengers they were waiting for clearance from FHP to move them off the bus.

UPDATE: (5:40) FHP said the victim was in her 60s.

Chip and Company shouldn't assume, like everyone else is, that it was a Mears operated bus, because Maruti Transit Group also operates Magical Express buses.

And the nameless person that posted that story also says that Mears owns the Magical Express, while they may or may not own the buses, Disney owns Magical Express.

http://www.marutitransit.com/index.php

Whether they're Mears or Maruti drivers, my experience with DME drivers is a negative one.

Too many of them exceed the speed limit, don't come to complete stops, disregard traffic lights, routinely cut you off, and in general are unprofessional.

It gripes me that they are not held to the same standards as the Disney drivers.

Rear ending a vehicle will be hard to defend. I think the driver will be found to be at fault.

I can't tell you how many times I've encountered a car stopped on a WDW roadway, and had to find a way to avoid hitting it.

It's almost that people think that the roads at WDW are not real and that nothing bad can happen?

Such a sad situation for all involved.

I read somewhere that they think it's possible it was something mechanical that caused the car to slow/stop, but I haven't seen that confirmed.

I've only ridden ME twice, and I have to say one of those times was a wee bit scary - and I tend to be pretty laid back about stuff like that. The driver was messing with the wonky mic trying to regale us with Disney trivia (sigh), while it alternated between rain showers and glaring sun in his eyes.

I saw it somewhere else too, but it was just a comment that officials on the scene thought that might be the case, but hadn't confirmed.

We've encountered people that randomly slow/stop driving where they shouldn't around WDW property, just look at all the signs they put up for "no stopping" near the main gate entrance, so anything is possible.

This is from the Orlando Sentinel...

Investigators interviewed passengers on the bus and drivers who witnessed the crash and will examine the Buick to see whether there was a mechanical problem that caused the driver to stop, Montes said. They'll also try to determine how fast the bus was going.

There's a crest in the road near where the accident happened, and it's possible that the bus driver may not have seen the car until the last moment, she said.

"He applied his brakes," Montes said. "He just couldn't stop."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-disney-bus-crash-epcot-20130816,0,5038252.story

What a sad, tragic way to end a vacation - both for the woman in the car and her family, and for the people on the bus. I've said prayers for everyone involved, including the ME driver. Even when we fly, I try to avoid ME whenever possible for the return trip. I don't have a problem from the airport but the return trips are never anything even remotely approaching magical in my book.

Each time, it seems like they stop at too many resorts, where they sometimes have to wait for people who aren't organized, didn't get there beforehand, or take forever with their luggage. The pressure to get people thru traffic and to the airport in time has got to be hard on some trips...

The 2nd photo below is taken from the crest mentioned in the Orlando Sentinel. But being up higher, the driver would have seen more.

You can also see the crest in the first photo, and if the driver didn't see the car until he was at the top of the crest, I scaled it and there's about 400 feet to come to a stop, or if he could, switch lanes. That's longer than a football field including the end zones. Of course we don't know how fast he was going, which is crucial. 

Having driven that road many, many times, I don't believe you ever lose complete site of cars in front of you. And if you're driving a bus, you're up higher than in a car.

It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to the driver.

disney-bus-car-crash-viewer-3-081613_zps

Crash_zps1e78514c.jpg

Not to defend DME (never been on one) but at least two other ways this could have happened:

1. The car could have been travelling at speed not too far in front of the DME and suddenly slowed/stopped, not giving the driver enough time to react.  We call that  "Failure to use care in slowing or stopping".

or 2.  There could have been one or more vehicles in front of the DME blocking the drivers view. If one wasn't paying attention and swerved at the last minute and/or just looked to the DME driver like they were changing lanes, then the DME driver could suddenly be coming up on a stopped car with no warning.....

In an accident like this it's the witness statements that will decide if the DME driver gets charged with anything.