What Disney foods do you try to recreate at home?

Kelly's post about recreating the beautiful smoked turkey sandwich from Contempo Cafe got me thinking.  What Disney foods do you try to make at home?  I love the Disney recipes posted here, but do you ever long for your favorite food so much you just have to cook something close to it - recipe or not?

With DramaMama it is Tonga toast.  She made a wonderful version of it today -- not according to the Disney recipe, but a simple version that tasted great.  Just butter, cinnamon, sugar, and bananas cooked grilled-cheese style with buttered bread.  Lovely.

My wife does the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup from Epcot, but she cheats since she has the recipe. She uses lowfat cheese for me, too.

My wife does the Canadian Cheddar Cheese soup from Epcot, but she cheats since she has the recipe. She uses lowfat cheese for me, too.

I don't count that as cheating - especially since the butter and cheeses we keep at home are generally lowfat.  My thought is - it is better than nothing!  AND I can save the guilt for a vacation at WDW. 

I need to try that soup sometime.  I keep meaning to order the waffle mix that they use for the Mickey waffles.  Amazon has it. 

I got the recipes for some of our favorites from Boma, but haven't tried them at home yet.  Maybe soon, though....

I cheat, I've got a couple of Disney cook books.  My favorites are the scalloped potatoes from Chef Micky's and the Canadian Cheese Soup.  :grill:

I wanted to make the smoky portabello soup from Artist Point. I pulled up the recipe and said, uhhhh no. way too complicated. I have searched for the sterling silver pork chop from brown derby with no luck. It's not the meat so much as the has that comes with it! Zebra Domes too complicated.

Heck, I must be a pretty lazy cook! :) We do have a Mickey Waffle Iron, but we just use regular waffle mix!

Rita you can email Disney and most recipes (except cinnamon rolls) they will email you.

Thanks! I should do that. My son loved those pork chops so much that when I saw they had dropped them from the menu, I emailed them to beg for them to bring them back!

Heck, I must be a pretty lazy cook! :) We do have a Mickey Waffle Iron, but we just use regular waffle mix!

No, you're not lazy!  I wanted to get a Mickey waffle iron ('cause let's face it, everything does taste better when it is shaped like a Mickey head), but they are really expensive right now.  The mix they use is Golden Malted Pancake and Waffle Flour plus whatever it calls for to add with it.  I am curious if they taste as good at home.....  Probably not.  :(

After seeing a post for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue corn bread recipe, my family (three generations) decided that we should have a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night. Here's what we did...

Food

1. My Mom made the cornbread using the official recipe. At first she thought one pan wasn't enough for the 8 of us, but looks were deceiving and we had plenty. Mom also mixed up some butter with maple syrup. Yummy!
  2. Mom made mashed potatoes.
  3. Mom made a pot of brown beans using a family recipe (I can post it if anyone's interested, it's fairly sweet because it uses mincemeat).
  4. My sister made fried chicken (her husband wanted boneless chicken).
  5. I, being lazy and mostly unable to cook, picked up 3 racks of ribs from a local BBQ joint. (Memphis BBQ for those of you in the Toronto area.)
  6. Mom made some corn on the cob and cut it into thirds.
  7. Mom made a salad (I tried to talk her out of it, but she was going for authenticity!).
  8. My sister made the cake for strawberry shortcake, along with the strawberry topping (big bag of frozen strawberries thawed, and some mashed up a bit to make them saucier). Mom made real whipped cream. (Can you tell our Mom spoils us?)

Decor

1. Mom made red and white checkered napkins for everyone. She thought about making a tablecloth too, but we decided napkins were enough. You might be able to buy a plastic tablecloth with that same red/white pattern.
  2. I bought 500 ml Mason jars to drink out of. (For Canadians, Canadian Tire had them on for a box of 12 for $8.)
  3. Having bought them on previous trips, we used our Mickey Mouse glow ice cubes.
  4. We had a data projector showing the full Hoop Dee Doo show from YouTube. The video is a little shaky, but we were mostly too busy eating to notice. We turned up the volume for some songs but generally just had it playing in the background. It was interesting to note that our home meal pacing was about the same as the video. When we were ready for dessert, so was the video.
  5. We joked that if anyone had to go to the bathroom, you had to go to the neighbour's house.

Next Time

1. We plan to make this an annual tradition. Next year we're going to make sure to get straws with paper on the outside so we can blow the wrappers at each other.
  2. Washboards! Don't know how/where we'll get them. Maybe some other acceptable noisemaker substitute.

Pictures! Forgot to get a dessert picture. Too busy eating!

After seeing a post for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue corn bread recipe, my family (three generations) decided that we should have a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night. Here's what we did...

Food

• My Mom made the cornbread using the official recipe. At first she thought one pan wasn't enough for the 8 of us, but looks were deceiving and we had plenty. Mom also mixed up some butter with maple syrup. Yummy!
  • Mom made mashed potatoes.
  • Mom made a pot of brown beans using a family recipe (I can post it if anyone's interested, it's fairly sweet because it uses mincemeat).
  • My sister made fried chicken (her husband wanted boneless chicken).
  • I, being lazy and mostly unable to cook, picked up 3 racks of ribs from a local BBQ joint. (Memphis BBQ for those of you in the Toronto area.)
  • Mom made some corn on the cob and cut it into thirds.
  • Mom made a salad (I tried to talk her out of it, but she was going for authenticity!).
  • My sister made the cake for strawberry shortcake, along with the strawberry topping (big bag of frozen strawberries thawed, and some mashed up a bit to make them saucier). Mom made real whipped cream. (Can you tell our Mom spoils us?)
Decor
  • Mom made red and white checkered napkins for everyone. She thought about making a tablecloth too, but we decided napkins were enough. You might be able to buy a plastic tablecloth with that same red/white pattern.
  • I bought 500 ml Mason jars to drink out of. (For Canadians, Canadian Tire had them on for a box of 12 for $8.)
  • Having bought them on previous trips, we used our Mickey Mouse glow ice cubes.
  • We had a data projector showing the full Hoop Dee Doo show from YouTube. The video is a little shaky, but we were mostly too busy eating to notice. We turned up the volume for some songs but generally just had it playing in the background. It was interesting to note that our home meal pacing was about the same as the video. When we were ready for dessert, so was the video.
  • We joked that if anyone had to go to the bathroom, you had to go to the neighbour's house.
Next Time
  • We plan to make this an annual tradition. Next year we're going to make sure to get straws with paper on the outside so we can blow the wrappers at each other. :-)
  • Washboards! Don't know how/where we'll get them. Maybe some other acceptable noisemaker substitute.

I'll see you my address so you can mail my invite to the next one :)

After seeing a post for the Hoop Dee Doo Revue corn bread recipe, my family (three generations) decided that we should have a Hoop Dee Doo dinner night. Here's what we did...

Food

1. My Mom made the cornbread using the official recipe. At first she thought one pan wasn't enough for the 8 of us, but looks were deceiving and we had plenty. Mom also mixed up some butter with maple syrup. Yummy!
  2. Mom made mashed potatoes.
  3. Mom made a pot of brown beans using a family recipe (I can post it if anyone's interested, it's fairly sweet because it uses mincemeat).
  4. My sister made fried chicken (her husband wanted boneless chicken).
  5. I, being lazy and mostly unable to cook, picked up 3 racks of ribs from a local BBQ joint. (Memphis BBQ for those of you in the Toronto area.)
  6. Mom made some corn on the cob and cut it into thirds.
  7. Mom made a salad (I tried to talk her out of it, but she was going for authenticity!).
  8. My sister made the cake for strawberry shortcake, along with the strawberry topping (big bag of frozen strawberries thawed, and some mashed up a bit to make them saucier). Mom made real whipped cream. (Can you tell our Mom spoils us?)

Decor

1. Mom made red and white checkered napkins for everyone. She thought about making a tablecloth too, but we decided napkins were enough. You might be able to buy a plastic tablecloth with that same red/white pattern.
  2. I bought 500 ml Mason jars to drink out of. (For Canadians, Canadian Tire had them on for a box of 12 for $8.)
  3. Having bought them on previous trips, we used our Mickey Mouse glow ice cubes.
  4. We had a data projector showing the full Hoop Dee Doo show from YouTube. The video is a little shaky, but we were mostly too busy eating to notice. We turned up the volume for some songs but generally just had it playing in the background. It was interesting to note that our home meal pacing was about the same as the video. When we were ready for dessert, so was the video.
  5. We joked that if anyone had to go to the bathroom, you had to go to the neighbour's house.

Next Time

1. We plan to make this an annual tradition. Next year we're going to make sure to get straws with paper on the outside so we can blow the wrappers at each other. :-)
  2. Washboards! Don't know how/where we'll get them. Maybe some other acceptable noisemaker substitute.

That is awesome!

Maui scalloped potatos that used to be at O'hana

Trail's End Corn Bread

Lapu Lapu in a pineapple for authenticity

Mom's Meatloaf from 50's primetime cafe

My current experiment is recreating the Chocolate Soufle from Palo. The pastry chef wrote it out by hand for us but it is for a massive amount of soufle.