We will probably do a couple of character meals on our trip in April (either lunch or dinner) and then eat out on or two more times. All other meals at the trailer. When we were at MK 2.5 yrs ago, we ate at Cinderella's Table for our daughters 6th b'day, so don't care to do that again. Can anyone suggest some to do? Or to avoid? Is one day of the week better than others? Also, what is the best/cheapest (relative term for Disney) place on site at the Fort?

Thanks

Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom New Fantasyland.......

Counter Service at lunch,

Full Service at Dinner. Really good food....... Hardest reservation to get.  Have your travel agent call at exactly 180 days out and take what you can get during your trip.

No characters at lunch, and none "during" dinner, but photo op with Beast after dinner as you leave.

We will probably do a couple of character meals on our trip in April (either lunch or dinner) and then eat out on or two more times. All other meals at the trailer. When we were at MK 2.5 yrs ago, we ate at Cinderella's Table for our daughters 6th b'day, so don't care to do that again. Can anyone suggest some to do? Or to avoid? Is one day of the week better than others? Also, what is the best/cheapest (relative term for Disney) place on site at the Fort?

Thanks

We went to Chef Mickeys which the kids enjoyed.  It's not bad for a character meal but call asap.

"Also, what is the best/cheapest (relative term for Disney) place on site at the Fort?"

we talking food here... Trails End Lunch is probably the cheapest food at the Fort but the buffet is so worth the price.

Character dining.... Mickey's Backyard BBQ is right at the Fort. It's expensive (they all are), but unlike most character meals, you get to dance with the characters, there's a whole show besides the characters, it includes adult beverages for the adults, and your tip is already included in the price. Check my April trip report for pictures, and if you can search, I did a whole post just about it around April 2012. It's a BLAST. Food is BBQ, ribs, chicken, etc.

Cheapest meal at the Fort is the Getty-Up-and Go chicken dinner at the Trails End takout. It's 10 pieces of chicken with sides and bread for about $25. You can eat it on the deck or at the picnic tables by the playground.

Our friends took their 4 year old daughter to the Akershus at Epcot for a character (specifically princess) meal and thought it was great - not to mention a lot easier to get into than Cindy's table.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/akershus-royal-banquet-hall/

We have done Chef Mickeys and that was okay.

DD and DS really liked the character breakfast at Ohana but they like Lilo and Stitch and many people are indifferent to them.

The food is served family style and is all you can eat; it was also served hot unlike CRT when we were there last year.

Next trip we will be trying Akershus and Crystal Palace.

We liked Crystal palace.  The characters are Pooh and friends if that would interest your kiddos.  The food is American and Mediterranean (which we loved).  It seemed less chaotic than Chef Mickey's (great characters, good food, though).  Those are the only 2 we have done.  It will probably be a few years until we do another character meal because of the extra cost.  I don't know that one day of the week is any better or worse.  It would probably have more to do with peak or not peak times of the year.  If it is near spring break time everything will be busy.

As for the meals at the Fort we highly recommend lunch at Trail's End.  Also, the Giddy-up And Go (known around here as the GAG) take out meal is awesome.  The chicken is top notch.  We get a double side of mac and cheese!!!  Thrill picked it up and brought it back to our campsite and we ate it there.  The leftovers went in the cooler and made a tasty breakfast. 

If you haven't been over to Wilderness Lodge and eaten at Whispering Canyon with your kids that might be a fun meal (no characters but lots of fun with the CMs). We have done it several times  and it is just a short boat ride away.  There are several mentions of it on the threads here.

No matter what you choose have fun!!!

Thanks for all the replies. I should have mentioned that we Akershus at Epcot when we were there last in addition to cinderella's table. All the princesses a 6 yr old can take, well almost. I talked to my wife and we may skip the character meals this time with the exception of the hoop dee do revue (I know, no characters), we hear that is great fun. Looks like we may do breakfast at trailer, lunch at park ( counter service), cookout dinner at trailer.

Only 7+ months to change our mind.

Beach Club has a character breakfast buffet.  Good food, and they wait to bring the characters out until everyone has been eating a while.  If I remember, it was Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy (don't have the pics on my phone). Granddaughters loved it.  Back in the Dark Ages we took the kids to the Grand Floridian for a breakfast buffet with princesses and Mickey.  It was at Albert and Victoria's?  Also they used to do a character breakfast on the riverboat in Downtown Disney. Both of those were a long time ago so you should check.  For fun go to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Snack bar by the pool is ok, but they have lots of free kids activities.  We did cookie decorating, rubbings on the big brass floor tiles, coloring, blocks, face painting and when we visited, they had free marsmallows and sticks for the campfire by the pool area.

• 1 month later...

We've done the following, several times.... so, here's my 2 cents  :doublebeer:

Chef Mickey (Contemporary Hotel) - nice for a day off (from the parks) because you don't need a park ticket to eat there.  We've eaten here 5 or 6 times and typically really enjoy it.

Crystal Palace - inside Magic Kingdom and one of our favorites.  We usually eat lunch there, but this year had breakfast and it was good.

1900 Park (Cinderella) - don't need a park ticket for this one either (Grand Floridian).  We've ate here twice and that's enough.  Neither time have been thrilled with the characters (spent very little time at our table).

Akershus (Epcot) - loved the breakfast menu and the characters were wonderful however... very expensive.

Hollywood & Vine (MGM) - did not like this one.  VERY busy/chaotic feel. 

Hope that helps!

ps.  our daughter is almost 7 and our son is almost 2

We love the Back Yard Bar B Que at the Fort.  It is all you can eat for one price.  It is a little pricey but well worth it for the music, dancing, character greets, etc. 

Our son loves eating lunch at Cosmic Rays in the MK.  Their food is good (hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc.) and not too expensive.

No characters but there is an animated character playing the piano and singing and talking and all the younger kids love it.

We love the Back Yard Bar B Que at the Fort. It is all you can eat for one price. It is a little pricey but well worth it for the music, dancing, character greets, etc.

Our son loves eating lunch at Cosmic Rays in the MK. Their food is good (hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc.) and not too expensive.

No characters but there is an animated character playing the piano and singing and talking and all the younger kids love it.

I always have a meal with Sonny Eclipse!