Ever laugh at the camper next to you, then have to buy it?

I really should confine my impulse buys to purses. At the steam show last weekend, there was a very vintage pup parked in the space next to us. It arrived shortly before a series of thunderstorms rolled in. All canvas topped, I remember hoping they'd waterproofed it well. Friday morning we met it's occupants. Great friendly folks who climbed out of the pup dry, happy, and ready to take on the weekend. Saturday afternoon, things slowed down a bit so I wandered over to chat.  

I remember saying something like wow, haven't seen one of these in a long time and we all laughed. They lived a little under 2 hours away and recently bought it just to use for the show. As we talked about various shows in our tri-state area, and which were better, a woman came up and asked how much the pup was. Turns out they'd decided it was too small and wanted to unload it.

Somehow, I don't remember what happened after that very clearly. It all happened pretty fast. I decided to take some quick pics with my phone to text to Beckers b/c I knew she was looking. The price was cheaper than lots of tents I've seen and hey, it'd be a laugh right? That's around the time I started thinking, and the pup owning neighbors started talking, and well, next thing you know, I owned a vintage pup. :mad-scientist:

When I picked up Starla from work that night, I asked her if she remembered that lil canvas pup parked next to us. I could tell she was expecting me to tell her they'd hit us or something as she said yes. Without even thinking - my whole tone for the day apparently - I said "well, we just bought it for you!" Her reaction was priceless. I wish I'd had it on tape. It nearly duplicated her sister's reaction the next day. Apparently DD12 hadn't been listening the day before so she had no idea until I told her we couldn't leave for home until we found a 1-7/8 ball for the pup. They both think I'm crazy. Starla at least admits it was an awesome deal and it's lightweight enough to perhaps have some potential.

Now, I know some of you were less than 90 minutes away from me at the Hershey rv show last weekend looking at really awesome new options so don't laugh.... that's what got me into this :holysheep:

post-217-0-77977400-1379470855_thumb.jpg

post-217-0-91256100-1379470900_thumb.jpg

That's awesome looking! Congrats!!

lol and it could be all yours. It's really just an elevated tent, but so light we can move it in the yard by hand. DH figures it should be easy enough to tow...

and inside pics you shall receive... just keep in mind that I took the inside pics before I considered actually buying it so the friendly steam show neighbor's stuff is in there blocking the way. There was a mattress in the middle on the floor and one on each pop-out side. it was surprisingly roomy for something smaller than a child's wading pool when folded up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/102124089@N08/9793719966/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/102124089@N08/9793766273/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/102124089@N08/9793699334/

Nice find, not sure but it looks like it's was made by Coleman, anyway it looks in good shape, do you know if the canvas is original? and the most important question is when are you taking it to the Fort!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Congratulations, Pam- that is a cool little camper!

Nice find, not sure but it looks like it's was made by Coleman, anyway it looks in good shape, do you know if the canvas is original? and the most important question is when are you taking it to the Fort!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl2:  :rofl2:

That is not a Coleman.  It's a Cox Cadet.  There's a brief history of the company, with some interesting links showing the patents on this trailer model here: http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/cox.html

TCD

That is not a Coleman.  It's a Cox Cadet.  There's a brief history of the company, with some interesting links showing the patents on this trailer model here: http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/cox.html

TCD

Thanks for the correct info I was going by the Cadet name plate, I think Coleman also used that Cadet name on a pop up, when Colman was still Coleman and not Fleetwood

Thanks for the correct info I was going by the Cadet name plate, I think Coleman also used that Cadet name on a pop up, when Colman was still Coleman and not Fleetwood

I noticed the door looks a lot like what Coleman used on its campers, so I see where you got the idea that this might have been a Coleman.

I don't know if you read the history on the link, but the Cox company met a sad end.  Just like the Coleman camper brand.

TCD

:smartass: Needless to say, I don't envision us taking it to the fort. Not sure, we'll even take it anywhere at all but I couldn't resist the deal. I probably could pull it behind my van though - and make the drive more bearable since I'd be the one driving. :raspberry2:  Besides, who knows, maybe someone I know will need a tent on wheels one day for something. DH figured that if worst came to worst, he could make a golf cart trailer out of it. I'd rather see it be appreciated for the historical little early 70s classic that it is.

The canvas is original. There's a tear in the one side that you can see in the interior photo and another bad point in the front corner where it meets the metal but they're small and I'm told neither leaked in the storm. The main thing is it didn't smell musty.

Oh, and did I mention I got a table with it that they didn't mention in the beginning? Being a vendor, there are never enough tables. It was like the best bonus ever. well okay, maybe not ever, but still pretty darn useful. The way I look at it... I either bought a very cheap camper or a very expensive table :rofl2:

My grandparents used to own one of those! If I remember correctly it was simple to set up...at least much easier than the pop ups of today.

Enjoy!

It was really easy to set up. Pretty much just lift the sides out and brace them up with the poles. or that's how friendly neighbor family made it sound. They showed me how to do it but I haven't tried it yet myself. When I do I may have a different attitude, but it sure does look quick and easy...

That is cool Pam!  I would love to find one someday just to play with as a project.. because working full time and 5 active kids isnt enough... oh yea and 3 dogs.. all of which are high maintenance.. who the hell am I kidding.. :clint:

lol I know what you mean Judy. It looked too cute and was too cheap to leave behind but I have no clue what to do with it now. DH has handled most of both shows these past two weekends b/c between the dogs and kids commitments I spent more time in the car than around the tractors. I don't know how you manage a full time job and 5 kids' schedules. I'd be exhausted but you make it look easy. You have my admiration every single day...

TCD

Thanks TCD. and thanks also for posting a link to the history of the company. We had a Cox boat trailer back in the 70s. I didn't realize they'd gone out of business. Until I saw the sticker on the tongue of this camper, I thought they only made boat trailers. The sticker that I'd expected to list weights and specs, really was a generic list of tire sizes and weights for cox boat trailers and campers. Haven't found the standard weight/specs type sticker yet...

That is a nice score! 

It also reminds me of camping as a kid. When I was about 4 or 5 my parents and grandparents would travel all over the southeast in matching rigs.....a diesel VW rabbit and a tent trailer. I still have both tent campers stored away in my barn. 

Here's a pic of one those type trailers.

tent+1.jpg

from this blog http://ihearteverythingblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/happy-trails-vintage-camping-part-ii.html