Disneyland getting rid of GAC?

Thanks for that link, Jason.

It seems like those who use the current GAC system do not like the proposed changes, since they can only cut one line at a time.

I screen capped and underlined part of the discussion on that site complaining about the changes:

GACQuote_zps3fb50d78.jpg

The part I underlined confirms what I see in practice- guests with GAC's can cut any line as many times as they like.  No limits whatsoever.

So, why do people with GAC's and Disney always say that GAC's do not allow guests to cut lines? They often say that guests have to wait in an alternate waiting area.  This blogger clearly says it is not the case, and I have never seen any of these alternate waiting areas.

I see nothing wrong with the change.  Why should someone with a disability and his entire entourage get to cut every single line as many times as he or she likes?  What's wrong with imposing some reasonable limits?

TCD

I see nothing wrong with the change.  Why should someone with a disability and his entire entourage get to cut every single line as many times as he or she likes?  What's wrong with imposing some reasonable limits?

TCD

I agree with you, and as a parent of a disabled child, I can tell you my opinion is that "equal access" is what should be strived for.  The GAC system was well intentioned but easily abused.  While an assistance program is much appreciated to help people with disabilities enjoy WDW, it should strive to create an environment whereby those with disabilities have the same opportunities to access attractions where practical, but not create a "super class" of guests where an unfair advantage exists for some guests relative to others. 

I'm sure the new system will need additional tweaks in the future, but at first glance it appears they are on the right track.  I would think the new technology being rolled out will also help in this regard. 

I agree with you, and as a parent of a disabled child, I can tell you my opinion is that "equal access" is what should be strived for.  The GAC system was well intentioned but easily abused.  While an assistance program is much appreciated to help people with disabilities enjoy WDW, it should strive to create an environment whereby those with disabilities have the same opportunities to access attractions where practical, but not create a "super class" of guests where an unfair advantage exists for some guests relative to others. 

I'm sure the new system will need additional tweaks in the future, but at first glance it appears they are on the right track.  I would think the new technology being rolled out will also help in this regard. 

You are a good man, Dave.

I would love to see you and your family be able to enjoy the parks with as few restrictions as possible.

Where I have a problem is when I watch an otherwise healthy teenager with a cast on his arm and his father and friends use a GAC to cut me in line twice at the Sum of All Thrills ride in Epcot.  Or a woman and her family run up to a CM at Peter Pan waving a GAC card so her party of ten can come in through the exit.   The guest with the disability in that party, if there even was one, certainly could run.

Like many things, people who abuse GAC make it harder on those who really need it.

TCD

As a GAC user it seems like the chances are reasonable. But TCD there are some attractions that do have alternative entrances but most are a "fast pass". If you are in front of POTC look to the left there's a alley were CM come and go. You wait there for a CM and they bring you thru the CM only area into a back door. It's still faster than waiting in line. Also it's a small world. Look where the people in wheelchairs are. That's a alternative entrance. We actually were in that line once and there was a large group of kids who could not transfer to the boat without their chairs. We waited longer than the people in the regular line. This is only happened once. But your right its a fast pass. I'm thankful and appreciate the fact I qualify for one but I understand why their changing it and reluctantly agree that it's a good change. I've seen the abuse of the GAC just like most other fiends m

Ray-

My heart goes out to you, and it especially goes out to parents visiting the parks with a special needs child.  If someone really needs some kind of special accommodations, I have no problem whatsoever with that.  I know that Make A Wish kids get front of the line privileges, and they can cut in front of me all day long. No problem.  God bless them.

What makes my blood boil is people who blatantly abuse the system.  Shame on them.  They have ruined something nice and simple that Disney put in place for those who really need it.

TCD

Ray-

My heart goes out to you, and it especially goes out to parents visiting the parks with a special needs child. If someone really needs some kind of special accommodations, I have no problem whatsoever with that. I know that Make A Wish kids get front of the line privileges, and they can cut in front of me all day long. No problem. God bless them.

What makes my blood boil is people who blatantly abuse the system. Shame on them. They have ruined something nice and simple that Disney put in place for those who really need it.

TCD

Couldn't agree with you more. We, including myself always complain about the people who abuse the GAC. But IMHO a lot more people benefit from it than abuse it. I bet I see a couple of people a day abuse it and dozens of people benefiting from it.

What they're describing, writing a return time down, is exactly what happened with us at Space Mountain when Jason was on the scooter in April. It served our purpose well and was fair.

I can't imagine that this writing down stuff will be going on at WDW once MagicBands are fully operational.

Once we have MagicBands, I'm betting that Disney just issues unlimited access to those who formerly were issued GAC's.  Disney doesn't want to pay CM's to stand around and police this- it will be a free-for-all again.  Regular guests like me won't have anything to complain about, because we won't be able to see the abuse happening like we do now.  I don't think Disney really cares about the cheaters- they are only reacting because of recent outcries about the abuse of GAC's.  There aren't going to be outcries once the GAC's (or whatever they're going to call them) go on RFID's.

TCD

You are a good man, Dave.

I would love to see you and your family be able to enjoy the parks with as few restrictions as possible.

Where I have a problem is when I watch an otherwise healthy teenager with a cast on his arm and his father and friends use a GAC to cut me in line twice at the Sum of All Thrills ride in Epcot.  Or a woman and her family run up to a CM at Peter Pan waving a GAC card so her party of ten can come in through the exit.   The guest with the disability in that party, if there even was one, certainly could run.

Like many things, people who abuse GAC make it harder on those who really need it.

TCD

That is exactly what Linda and I have seen more than not and in most cases they are "large groups" not two or three people.

That is exactly what Linda and I have seen more than not and in most cases they are "large groups" not two or three people.

The large groups are rediculois. Last time i picked up my GAC they asked who many people in my party and I said about 25, lol and they told me its limited to me and 5 guests or was it 6 guests. Once I got my GAC at Epcot and was played 20 questions about what my limitations were. It didn't bother me at all. But usually I walk in pull out my GAC holder pull out the one from our last trip and simply ask how long we are staying and how many people in our party.

Maybe they could ask a few more questions and eliminate the people with a broken arm.

I think the biggest change to this system is the person with the disability must be identified and their picture goes on the card. That person must ride the attraction with their party in order to get the special access. If they do not ride, the party waits like normal. It is also limited to only those attractions that do not have accessible queues. Most attractions at WDW have accessible queues so they would not be allowed front of the line at those attractions. Only the few that are not accessible. That also is a huge change. An example would be the Mermaid attraction. It has an accessible queue yet GAC holders use the FP line as their entrance. With the new system, that wont be allowed anymore. You cannot even get a return time on your DAS for those attractions.   

I think Disney could, with the new technology in place, have a system where CM's manning the queues could place a notation on a guest's account in the system if they suspect abuse.  They would not need to confront the guest....just electronically note in the system their suspicions.  If a pattern develops where several CMs' are making notations, the DAS could be flagged and the guest would be told they need to visit Guest Services to substantiate information on their account to reactivate the DAS.  Specially trained CMs' at Guest Services could then question the guest to determine whether an actual need is there.  I would think those with actual need would not mind some extra questions.  Those abusing the system would get beligerent or fold like a cheap suit.  I also think that, once word of this system got around, it would eliminate some of the abuse without even having to confront anyone. 

I know there's abuse in the system. I've seen it myself. But is there enough to justify spending all this time and effort to stop a few idiots? Just train the CMs who give out the passes to ask a few extra questions and tell the people who don't need a GAC sorry. And give those who could use the extra help a GAC about the size of a fast pass and save a ton of money.

I'll probably rot in he!! for this (my wife tells me to use my inside voice) but I really think many of the "problems" with children are really a problem with the parents and their lack of parenting skills.  I do believe that there are people with needs and as has been stated we should strive for "equal access".  During my career working for the government I have met too many parents who would rather attach a label to their child and medicate them rather than learn parenting skills.  In many cases this is another time the parents are using a label to their advantage to game the system.

I'll probably rot in he!! for this (my wife tells me to use my inside voice) but I really think many of the "problems" with children are really a problem with the parents and their lack of parenting skills. I do believe that there are people with needs and as has been stated we should strive for "equal access". During my career working for the government I have met too many parents who would rather attach a label to their child and medicate them rather than learn parenting skills. In many cases this is another time the parents are using a label to their advantage to game the system.

I agree with most of what your saying. However I feel the vast majority of people that use a GAC have a legitimate issue.

To me it's a case of a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

I am pretty  new here, but I will weigh in on this one. :panic: Don't be too rough on me please!  I just wonder how they will handle families like mine (and there are more than you would think) where we have four children with disabilities and several different "needs". In the past we have simply explained our needs to Guest Relations and they would then decide what accommodations we needed and would stamp our GAC with the appropriate message. I have two with vision impairment, three with seizures, and one with mild autism in addition to his Spina Bifida. And I have one who is "just" in a wheelchair. Will they EACH need a DAS pass with their picture on it?

We are a family of seven. But sometimes we split into two groups of four and three as there are some rides that our two girls are not able to ride at all. They usually go with their daddy to find a quiet, shady place to sit, while the other four of us ride some of the attractions the boys love and hate to miss. If there are no quiet, shady spots and the four of us riding take a long time going through the regular line, it gets tough on the girls. In the past, on many occasions, when a CM would see our girls sitting in the sun in their wheelchairs and we would start through the regular line, the CM would stop us and tell us to go through fastpass line even though our girls were not riding that attraction. I have been told several times "If your daughter is not riding but has to wait a prolonged period of time in the sun, then we are not accommodating her needs"   In other words, Disney and all the CM's have always bent over backwards to make our trips magical!  I do not expect that to stop. I really don't think these new changes will affect our trip that much (we are going Oct 11th). Maybe I am naive, but I just think Disney will find some way to accommodate those who really need the assistance. At least I am hoping so!!