Disneyland getting rid of GAC?

Welcome Angela.

I hope your right and Disney will find a way to accommodate you and your angels. Your story about the CM telling you to go thru the fast pass line because your girls are unable to ride is, IMHO, is exactly what the GAC should be for. It just drives me nuts that folks like you are going to have a more difficult time enjoying the parks because of the selfless acts of a few lazy idiots that abuse the system.

God bless

Potential further information on the process. Unofficial as of right now so I am putting it on this Rumor thread. 

http://temporarytourist.com/more-details-on-the-das-unofficial/

More Details on the DAS – UnOfficial
September 26, 2013 · by Aunesty Janssen · 16 Comments

A Cast Member at Disney has leaked the following information regarding the new Disability Assistance Service (DAS) at Disneyland and Walt Disney World.  You see all CM’s started training on Tuesday 09/24/13, as reported on our Official Confirmation of the END of the GACpost.

It appears that the Kiosks are no more, and that this system is being driven my individual needs and not a blanket system like the previous one.  While I do see some potential pitfalls, I think this system will be effective in removing some of the flagrant fraud the old system had.

I will be heading to the parks 10/09/13 at rope drop to report live on these changes, and test the system for myself.  I will also start working on suggested itineraries utilizing the new DAS system for families with special needs children and for families with mobility issues.

Here is the unofficial leaked training information regarding the new DAS system for the Walt Disney World parks:

General Info
-Last day of Guest Assistance Card (GAC) program is Oct 8.
-First day of Disability Access Service (DAS) program is Oct 9.
-Years in the making, but was expedited with the publicity in May.
-Worked closely with AustimSpeaks, park leaders from both coasts, and other disability advocacy groups.
-Sole purpose is the create a consistent similar experience for all guests including making sure guests with disabilities had a much more extreme chance of doing EVERYTHING in the park when the average can hardly do it.

DAS Card Description
-Photo of DAS cardholder will be on the front along with name, date, location issued, and # of guests in the party.
-Guest must also sign a terms and conditions on the DAS card that says they understand how it works, that they won’t abuse it, use it for commercial gain, or give it to someone else. If they breach this contract, they can have it revoked.
-DAS cards can only be issued for up to a 7 day period or until the return time slots are filled up, including for pass holders.
-On the back are lots of return time slots, gone are the different stamps.
-Card will be paper and slightly larger than existing GAC card.
-Make-a-Wish and Give Kids the World guests will not use DAS. They will have a separate lanyard issues prior to their visit that will allow expedited waits. Nothing changes for these folks on how they access the attractions, only what they will use.
-Guests with a stroller being used a wheelchair sticker will not need a DAS unless they have other needs that warrant it. Attraction based procedures will used to accommodate these guests.
-Guests needing Front Row Seating will not need a DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-Guests who only have mobility issues will not need DAS. Attraction based procedures and accommodation will be used.
-The card also has a QR code making it easy for Guest Relations to reprint new ones with the information ready to go if needed.
-Guest limit is still only 6.

Procedures
-After getting a DAS card, guests will approach the attraction they wish to visit. Each attraction will have a cast member at the entrance to assist you. (Not a kiosk.)
-If the wait is less than 10 minutes, they are admitted through an alternate entrance or Fastpass queue.
-If the wait is more than 10 minutes, they are issued a return time on their DAS card.
-Return times will be based on the current posted wait time minus 10 minutes.
-Only 1 (one) active return time can be written on a DAS card placing you in a virtual standby queue. Just like a regular guest in a standby queue, you can’t be in multiple lines at once.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) does not need to be present to receive a return time which allows families with children with autism a chance to stay clear of the attraction while a member gets the return time to avoid potential meltdowns by not getting to ride right away.
-Once the return time has arrived, you will arrive to the attractions alternate entrance or Fastpass line to redeem.
-Once a return time has been redeemed it is crossed off and no longer active allowing you get a new return time.
-Crossing off a return time also voids or cancels it to the equivalent of getting out of line.
-Fastpass & Fastpass+ are not tied to this program and can be used in conjunction.
-DAS Return Times have the same policy as a Fastpass when it comes to early arrivals, but they do not expire at a certain time of that day allowing those with special needs to not be restricted to returning back by a specific time if it doesn’t work for them. The catch however is that it will still remain active and additional return times can’t be gotten until it is used.
-The DAS card holder (photo and name) must be present and experiencing the attraction in order to use the return time. If the person isn’t present or choose to sit out and let their family ride, they will be turned away and potentially have their card revoked. After all, the card is design to assist the card holder and a few other companions or family members, but it is not designed solely assist the family or companions when the card holder chooses not to or can’t ride.
-If an attraction is broken, they can’t give you a return time. If you return and it’s broken, they will accommodate you by giving you a Fastpass to come back later and clearing your DAS return time to allow you to get another.
-If all your return slots get filled, you have to return to Guest Relations for a new one. (There are a bunch however.)

Additional Procedures
-Attractions that are not fully accessible through the standby queue may also have return cards. These are only for guests with wheelchairs, scooters, & strollers acting as wheelchairs who do not have a DAS card. Space Mountain is an example of a place that already does this, but additional attractions will soon be getting a similar procedure. The return times for these are just like DAS, but because they are attraction specific cards verses a global DAS card, you are able to grab multiple at once if you visit attractions that require it. Not all attractions will have this.

I feel for the families that have special needs kids especially those kids in chairs. It sounds like they are basically getting a modified fast pass.

"-If the wait is more than 10 minutes, they are issued a return time on their DAS card.

-Return times will be based on the current posted wait time minus 10 minutes."

Here's the problem with that. What are they suppose to do in the mean time? Run across the park to get a fast pass at another attraction? No they are going to have to wait around for their time to get on the ride and then work their way to the next attraction were they're going to have to wait again.

I know "what's the big deal. We all have to wait."

When my DS(24) is with us, and before i knew i what a GAC was, I would make him run to the other side of the park and get us all fast passes. Just like a lot of us do. So when we were done at attraction A we walked over to attraction B and made DS run to attraction C. I know a lot of people do this so we don't have such a long wait between rides and so we can ride more rides. But those parents who don't have someone to run around and pick up fast passes will be greatly limited to how many rides their kids will be able to enjoy.

The return time is unlimited, so you don't have to stand around. You can go eat, etc. You can't get another DAS time as long as one is still active, however. FP and FP+ are still available along with the DAS time. Basically, this is doing away with a 'head of the line' pass.

We were really disapointed to hear about the changes to GAC program (my wife actually doesn't want to go back and wants to get a refund on the multi-day passes we purchased (but haven't yet used) - I'm trying to convince her that we should wait until we see how it works out).  Our son has autism and the GAC allowed us to enjoy Disney.

I'll admit that great part of the appeal and the biggest point of contention with the GAC is that it did shorten the wait time - while regular guests might have had to wait 30-45 minutes, guests with a GAC got to go one in 10-15 minutes.  But that doesn't mean that we got to go on rides all day long - a family with typical kids can often go to Disney from 9AM to 9PM or even longer - a family with a special needs child might only be able to go for 2 or 3 hours before the child needs to leave (whether it's because they get too tired or they can't deal with the crowds, noise or over-stimulation any longer, etc).  In our case, we have to deal with a lot of anxiety over rides and it's not over rides like the rollercosters, it's for rides like the PeopleMover, WinnyThePooh, PeterPan and It'sASmallWorld.  We'll often spend 10-15 minutes just looking at the ride before he'll agree to go on it, we'll often get to the boarding point and he'll decide he can't go on it (What would you do?  Pick up your child kicking, screaming and crying and put him on the ride (even if you know that once he's on it, he'll like it) - we don't do that even if a part of us thinks we should).   Last time we were at MK, we went through the line and got to front only to have my son decide he couldn't ride it on four or five occasions for BarnStormer (we never actually did ride it) and it took 3 attempts to make it onto Dumbo.

I've seen suggestions that maybe guest assistance like GAC should be limited to the special needs guest and a guardian but we like to go to Disney as a family.  Also we like that our 'typical' son, who has to miss out on alot because he has a brother with autism for once benefits from his brother.

I agree that the GAC wasn't necessarily always fair when viewed by others but for us, it allowed us to have a good day at Disney.  We deal with so much stuff throughout the year that it was great to just have a nice day.  How many 'typical' kids cry (not of happyness) when they arrive Disney and run back to monorail because they don't want to go or they can't deal with the noise or the lights, how many of them decide they've had enough after being there for an hour and are ready to go home?  How many times have you had to leave a lineup because your child can't stop pushing people away because they are too close or won't stop trying to hug them or can't stop touching the fabric on the shirt of the person in front of them or can't stop kicking and crying and rolling on the ground maybe hitting themselves with their hands or hitting their head on the ground because another ride is too loud or because there's a fly buzzing around or because a person close by is holding a balloon or for a reason you don't even understand. 

The DAS shouldn't be a problem with someone with Autism - In fact, Disney worked with AutismSpeaks and other organizations to develop the DAS. You get a DAS time to return for the ride (and you aren't limited to a one hour window like the FastPass system), and then go do other stuff while waiting for the return time.

Michelb. I hear what your saying and feel for your situation. I hope Disney will learn that a one size plan fits all and you get CMs who are sympathetic to your situation and assist you any way they can.

The GAC was, is, a good system but a few people abused it and ruined it for the people who really deserved a little extra help.

Then you have those that only see the people who get to the "front of the line and that's not fair".

To me whats not fair is a child who has to suffer with autism or dozen of other medical/mental conditions. Or people that have disabilities beyond their control.

So to those people who think the GAC is an unfair system I say walk In their shoes for a day. Lets see how long you would last with that autistic child. Let see if you can make it all day in the park pushing your child around in a wheel chair or have your heart breaking because they want to ride Space mountain but you have to tell them that they can't because they just can't physically handle it.

I'm sorry for my rant because I know every Fiend I've met is carrying, loving person who truly cares about others. But I had to let it out.

I have always loved the fact that Disney welcomed the Make A Wish & GKTW children a chance to go to the front of the line or through the exit.  However, we have brought children with us who were terminally ill but we did not get a wish from the foundations so we were left on our own to tray and help them, and all our children, enjoy as much as they can at Disney.

Even Shawnee and Kimberly can not stay in the parks more than 2 or 3 hours.  If we have to wait 1 hour for one ride and then get another pass and wait another hour or two, our family will no longer be able to enjoy Disney.  Not to mention that they can only ride 4 or 5 (maybe) rides since we can not lift them out of their chairs.   Both of them have seizures and very hot weather could bring on one. Our newest little one is so very, very fragile.  How much he can see we don't know but we are doing everything possible to have him go with us in December, if we still get to go.  (Paying for the repairs on the old motor home before turning it over to my daughter was too much but it had to be done).  He deserves a chance to enjoy what he can.  Can we keep him in the parks all day...NO WAY.....

Anyway, we will see how things go when we next visit Disney.   It is so sad that a few people can ruin everything for these special children.

As a teacher of students with special needs in a regular school setting for many years, our mantra was "Fair is not everyone getting the same thing. Fair is everyone getting what they need." It's easy for people who are not dealing with a child or adult with special needs to complain about them getting special treatment because until you are the family wearing those shoes, you can't imagine the obstacles they must overcome daily. Many don't think of the "fairness" of the situation when they say that if crowds or noise bother your child to stay home. 

I know firsthand someone who abused the GAC. She did it and bragged about it. I was disgusted. I have a feeling it was not a "few" people, it was LOTS of people.  When we were down for one of our senior class trips, I had a student with bone cancer. While he was on a ride, someone stole his wheelchair. The kids with him helped him back to the front of the park, they did not have any more chairs. He ended up back on the bus in horrible pain and we had to cut the day short. That's how low people will stoop to get to the front of the line. 

For the majority of GAC users the new system will give them what they need. Many who are in wheelchairs or on scooters are able to wait for rides. Mama did not like being treated "special" when she was in her wheel chair at DL. She was certainly able to wait to ride. For people like Mama, the new changes would be fine. For those who have issues with sun or standing in line for long periods of time, the changes should be fine. 

For families like Michelb's, some of the changes at this point may not work so well.I hope as they implement the new program that they are willing to take in to consideration the individuality of those with special needs. I believe it may take a while to iron out the kinks and stop some of the blatant abuse before they are able to start catering to the individual more again. It's sad, but I understand why they have had to take some drastic measures.

I have always loved the fact that Disney welcomed the Make A Wish & GKTW children a chance to go to the front of the line or through the exit. However, we have brought children with us who were terminally ill but we did not get a wish from the foundations so we were left on our own to tray and help them, and all our children, enjoy as much as they can at Disney.

Even Shawnee and Kimberly can not stay in the parks more than 2 or 3 hours. If we have to wait 1 hour for one ride and then get another pass and wait another hour or two, our family will no longer be able to enjoy Disney. Not to mention that they can only ride 4 or 5 (maybe) rides since we can not lift them out of their chairs. Both of them have seizures and very hot weather could bring on one. Our newest little one is so very, very fragile. How much he can see we don't know but we are doing everything possible to have him go with us in December, if we still get to go. (Paying for the repairs on the old motor home before turning it over to my daughter was too much but it had to be done). He deserves a chance to enjoy what he can. Can we keep him in the parks all day...NO WAY.....

Anyway, we will see how things go when we next visit Disney. It is so sad that a few people can ruin everything for these special children.

I hope and pray that Shawnee, Kimberly, and little Colby will all get to enjoy Disney as much as they can. I just wish they wouldn't have made such drastic changes and just trained the CMs who hand out GACs a little better.

Since I am a disabled vet with mobility issues I received my first GAC about three trips ago, I didn't even know what a GAC was before. I've waited in the alternative entrances, I've been allowed to go thru the fast pass queues. And from my personal experience the VAST majority of people I see using a GAC are truly legitimate GAC holders. Yes I've seen the kid with a broken arm getting on a ride with 5 of her friends, but if I see 1 person abusing the system I see dozens of people benefiting from it.

I'm sorry your having to worry about this with all the other, more important things you deal with on a daily basis. But knowing your spirit this little bump in the road isn't going to slow you or your family one bit.

I pray that God sends some CMs who "get it" and your kids have a magical trip.

There are some very good points being made on this thread.  Rita, your post was excellent.  And, so was yours, Ray.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with a truly disabled person being given whatever accommodations he and his family may need to enjoy a Disney park.  But the fact is that the previous system was being abused. Despite what you have observed Ray, the abuse was not minimal.  Disney finally did something to stop it.  I have faith that Disney will still find a way to help those who really need it.

TCD

There are some very good points being made on this thread. Rita, your post was excellent. And, so was yours, Ray.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with a truly disabled person being given whatever accommodations he and his family may need to enjoy a Disney park. But the fact is that the previous system was being abused. Despite what you have observed Ray, the abuse was not minimal. Disney finally did something to stop it. I have faith that Disney will still find a way to help those who really need it.

TCD

I agree that no one on this board wants to hinder a truly disabled person. especially Rita. She gets it, she's lived it, and she's living it now. And I think Rita would be one of the first in line to help someone who needs it. And you and the rest of the fiends would be shoving their way to the FRONT OF THE LINE, right behind her to help. Pun intended! Lol!

My observations are just that, my observations. The extent the system was abused will never truly be made known to us. I just seem to remember a few rich bi%#¥s from New York started this whole mess. And I'm sure they'll get theirs in the end. I bet most people didn't even know what a GAC was.

I too have faith that Disney will find a way to accommodate families, like our own Ken and Judy, and the others that truly need a little extra assistance

One thing to note about all of this. Disney did work closely with organizations relating to disabilities to ensure this new system would meet the needs of those who would be using it. They took the advice and recommendations from them. It wasn't just a random thought by some Disney big wig. The system is designed to be flexible and work with the user rather than being a blanket policy. All CMs who are involved in the process received in depth training on the use and how to handle situations. DW was one of them.

All I say on the matter is, give it chance before striking it down. If the system truly does not meet your families needs, let Disney know so they can adjust it.

Disney released a little more info apparently.  I Bolded one section that may help out with Autistic kids at least. I know it can be tough seeing the ride and not going to ride it right away. Looks like anyone in the party can get the return time. Just have to have the individual assigned the DAS present to actually ride at that time. 

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/10/disney-releases-official-statement-rules-and-faq-on-new-disability-access-service-card-replacing-guest-assistance-card/

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.

Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program, which provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.

The new Disability Access Service (DAS) Card will replace the Guest Assistance Card on Oct. 9. Guests at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort can request a Disability Access Service Card at Guest Relations. DAS Cardholders will receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time.

Disney Parks has long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs. Guests can visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual situation, and Disney Parks will continue to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.

Frequently Asked Questions

• What is a Disability Access Service Card and how does it work?
    The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disney’s FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service.
  • What will Disney Parks do if a Guest is concerned the DAS Card doesn’t meet their needs?
    Disney Parks have long recognized and accommodated guests with varying needs and will continue to work individually with guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances. Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their individual needs.
  • Who will be eligible for a Disability Access Service Card?
    Disney Parks’ goal is to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.
  • How will guests get a Disability Access Service Card?
    A Disability Access Service Card will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations. Guests will participate in a registration process, which also includes having their photo taken.
  • Why is Disney Parks doing this?
    Disney Parks is modifying the current Guest Assistance Card program so it can continue to serve the guests who truly need it. The new program is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. Disney Parks also hopes it will help control abuse that was, unfortunately, widespread and growing at an alarming rate.
  • Does the DAS Cardholder have to be present to obtain a return time at an attraction?
    No. Another member of the DAS Cardholder’s travel party may obtain a return time but the DAS Cardholder must board the attraction with his or her party.
  • Where do DAS Cardholders go to receive return times?
    At Disneyland Resort, guests will go to Guest Relations kiosks located throughout the parks to receive a return time. At Walt Disney World Resort, guests will go to the attraction to receive a return time.
  • Does a DAS Cardholder have to ride the attraction at the exact return time listed?
    No. Return times are valid until redeemed by the DAS Cardholder.
  • How long is a DAS Card valid?
    A DAS card is valid for up to 14 days depending on a guest’s ticket entitlement.
  • Is a DAS Card issued at one Disney theme park valid at other Disney theme parks?
    Yes, the card will be valid throughout the resort at which it was issued.
  • Why doesn’t Disney Parks ask for proof of disability, such as a doctor’s note?
    Disney Parks takes Guests at their word and there are legal restrictions around asking for proof.
  • Is this the only service available to Guests with disabilities?
    Disney Parks offer a variety of services to guests with disabilities, such as Disney’s Handheld Device that offers assistive listening, captioning and audio description. Additionally, Disney Parks has developed a “Guide for Guests with Cognitive Disabilities.” This serves as a tool on how best to experience its theme parks and is expected to be available online by mid-October.

Disney Parks will continue to provide excellent guest service and accessible experiences. Guests should visit Guest Relations at any park should they feel they need assistance due to a disability.
  • Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
    No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time. For some attractions at Disneyland Resort, these guests will go directly to an alternate entrance. Guests with additional needs should discuss them with Guest Relations.
  • Will Disney Parks continue to provide a service to wish-granting organizations? 
    The change will not affect those who are visiting on trips organized by wish granting organizations. There is a separate program for children with life-threatening illnesses.

Temporary Tourist tried out the DAS today. Videos links included if you follow the link. 

http://temporarytourist.com/wdw-disability-assistance-serviccard-das-walt-disney-world/

So we got up and headed out to Magic Kingdom this  morning so we could trade in our Guest Assistance Card for the Disability Assistance Service Card (DAS).   We videoed several parts of the day in order to show everyone how it works.

After arriving inside the the gates, we immediately headed over to Guest Relations, inside of City Hall.  The line was really no different than most days at guest relations.  I would say it was a 5 to 10 minute wait.

When it was our turn, we found the cast member assisting us to be VERY helpful and pleasant.  She offered loads of information and was going out of her way to make sure we knew of all the accommodations for our specific needs.  I wasn’t prepared to have to answer what our needs would be in the park though, that was new for me.  Instead of asking what was wrong with our child, they word it with, “what accommodations does your child need?” – which is good and bad.  I like the respect and kindness she showed, but it took me by surprise as I felt that I had disclose his diagnosis, even though she didn’t ask.  (Truth be told, I don’t think I have ever had to mention his diagnosis as much as I did today.  Seemed like every ride required some sort of explanation for something.  I felt like I had to keep telling CM’s my son is on the spectrum….).  My recommendation to others would be to come prepared to explain what your specific needs are.  Once I explained our situation, she even offered additional assistance.  In the video you will hear that I said yes he like to ride rides multiple times, but that we don’t encourage it.  But there is something in place for children who do need to ride a ride multiple times in a row, they are called “reAds” the guest services person will give you as many of these as you need in order for your child to not have a meltdown.  We did receive the start off Fastpasses to help get our day going.  But we didn’t end up using them this morning.

das-wdw-guest-assistance.jpg?resize=470%

As for taking his picture, Carson was not going to get out of his stroller, period.  He also had us pulling the stroller umbrella down so he was in his “cocoon”, so I was nervous how the picture would work.  But, it ended up being fine!  She walked around the counter and with her iPad, took a photo of Carson while he was still in his safe spot.

Here is the exact experience we had with obtaining the DAS:

Now of note, we also use our Stroller as a Wheelchair and we weren’t sure how this was going to work any more.  But it was fine.  She issued us a new Stroller Tag and we were still able to use our stroller as a wheelchair for Carson today.

Next we headed out to Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin to get a return time.  While the Standby time read only 20 minutes, the line looked like a 40 minute line.  So I am not sure what was up with that, but because the standby time was only 20 minutes, we got a 10 minute return time. (WARNING for some reason I am REALLY loud in this video!!!!! turn the speakers down)

Carson had all ready selected the “car ride” to drive as what he wanted to do.  So I knew our first stop to ride was going to be the Speedway.  So we headed over there with our stroller and walked up to the CM who standing near the wheelchair entrance and asked how it was going to work.  He asked for my DAS card to write a time on it, but I told him we can’t do that as we all ready have Buzz Lightyear on there.  So I pulled out the 4 fastpasses that guest relations gave me, as there was no way we could walk away from this ride, Carson would have melted down and he was all ready on thin ice.  The CM manager that was standing there beside the CM we were speaking with, spoke up and said on no, you don’t want to use those here.  There will be worse lines in the park today.  I told him we don’t have a choice, that our son is on the spectrum and he chose to drive cars as his ride, so walking away from it would be disastrous for us.  He then told me to put away the fastpasses and had the other CM use a different white card (which we learned more about later) and fill it out for a return time of then.  So he handed it to us and told us to go ahead and continue on in.

DAS-WDW-Wheelchairpass.png?resize=470%2C

Of note, when we got off the Speedway, the standby line was out into the “walkway” but the standby time was still listed as 20 minutes, when I know for a fact that was a 40 minute line.  Again, I just thought that was weird.  That was the second line that I noticed was “miss-timed” but again by less time than what it was really going to be.

Next we headed back to Space Ranger Spin and showed them our DAS card with the return time on it.  The CM grabbed a pen and crossed off the times and sent us through the Fastpass line.  Again the same procedure took place at the next CM, we showed him our DAS and then were lead through the line.  (of note, because we use the stroller as a wheelchair, we were then moved into the wheelchair line and lead to the exit of the ride, where we get on).

After leaving Buzz Lightyear, we headed over towards the Tea Cups, We had been in the park now for just over an hour and a half and Carson was starting to melt down.  When we got to the tea cups, the same thing happened there, a 20 minute wait (we were noticing a theme).  We went to the CM at the Fastpass line and asked her what we needed to do as we usually use the Wheelchair entrance for this ride.  She pulled out those little white cards (same one as from the speedway) and filled it out.  She told us that it would be for immediate access as the wait time was short right now.  But that rides that have a seperate wheelchair entrance use these little white cards.  Which in some ways makes sense.  So no more just showing up at the wheelchair entrance and waiting there, you go to the first line, get a card and then go wait at the wheelchair line for rides that have a separate entrance.

We didn’t end up doing the Tea Cups because by the time I was done getting our little card and talking to the CM, Carson was done.  So we decided to go look for Katelyn and Becca and say hi!

We found Katelyn working at Poohs Corner and said hi to her and then contemplated using our 4 fastpasses to ride the Pooh ride, but the fastpass line was going to be at least 20 minutes and he was all ready on edge.  We decided it was better to not push our luck.

The one really positive thing I learned today; After walking away from Pooh’s Corner we headed into the Courtyard of Fantasyland to look for Becca, someone had said that the DAS would work for Character Meet and Greets, so I wanted to test that.  As the old GACs didn’t, I was a little apprehensive.  I walked up to Princess Fairytale Hall and the cast member wrote a return time down for us come back and meet Rapunzel and Snow White!  That is a HUGE positive for this new system.

Sadly, at this time, it was roughly 12:30pm, we had been in the park 2 hours and Carson was done with a capital “D”.  So we said goodbye to Kathy, Scarlet and John and headed out with a return to Princess Fairytale Hall, 4 fastpasses and a Wheelchair return time for Tea Cups.  I am hoping things go well enough today that we can head back over there this evening and see the Princesses and ride the tea cups.  But this was normal for us.  Two to Three hours, one to two rides and we are done.

I am holding off on stating my personal opinions until I have thoroughly tested the system.

Things I noticed or my takeaways from today:

• ALL cast members were very attentive and willing to provide personalized assistance to meet my sons needs
  • It is a learning curve, but the CMs are all ready doing a great job

• I don’t think today worked as a true test, as every ride was at 20 minutes for standby…. so we will let everyone know as we test this system with “real” wait times

For those in Wheelchairs – you will not need a DAS if you don’t have any other issues other than mobility.  You will go to the alternate entrances and receive the white cards with a time to return or be let in immediately, based upon stand by time.

t.gif?w=470

IMG_5304.jpg?resize=241%2C160
IMG_5318.jpg?resize=241%2C161

IMG_5315.jpg?resize=216%2C325

IMG_5312.jpg?resize=307%2C204

IMG_5310.jpg?resize=150%2C100
IMG_5308.jpg?resize=150%2C100

IMG_5307.jpg?resize=228%2C152

IMG_5306.jpg?resize=229%2C152

Thanks Jason. Right before reading this I had called Disney reservations about buying park tickets with waterparks and more option. We have never been to the waterparks. I asked the gal about how many slides/rides I could ride because of my injuries. She transferred me to a very helpful CM and our conversation quickly turned to the new DAS system. I told her my situation and she informed me that for people who can't easily get a return time 10 minutes shorter than the stand by line will be accomadated. She gave the example of a family that had a wheelchair bound member that couldn't easily push the child across the park to do something else and then come all the way back when it was their time to ride. Will be accomadated them and let on the ride just like with the old GAC. So even though i was against the changes. I'm glad that Disney is not using a blanket policy to cover everyone and that they really are handling every situation on an individual basis.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently at Disneyland and let me tell you it's been wonderful with the new system. I haven't been on a ride in the last 3 days that 20 people have cut in front of me. Like TCD I don't mind GKTW or others who really need the help but I have NEVER understood the need for parties of 10 that come in the back and get seated on an attraction immediately. Especially if there are multiple parties. I think the new system works in DL and can only hope it is working the next time I go to WDW.