Another Magic Band Thread <snicker>

I just got off the phone with WDW and while discussing tickets for The Christmas Party, I mentioned that it keeps asking me to "Manage my Magic Bands" on My Disney Experience.  We will be there after 11/02 so I understood we would not be joining the MB train which was fine by us. And Jason was helping us with this too (Thank you Jason!)  But today, the Lady told me that Disney extended the test trials to 11/30 and we WOULD DEFINITELY be getting Magic Bands.  I am supposed to watch our mail or email with instructions.

I asked her if we would also have the regular World Cards we are used to since my DH is not too thrilled about wearing a MB and she said we would have World Cards in addition to the MB.  This is news to me, anyone else hear this?  

Also, does this mean we cannot get fastpasses the NORMAL way? <---- Sorry if that questions has been asked a zillion times I am starting to get REALLY confused. ::)

Laura

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just measured mine... oh wait that's right... I don't have any to measure.   :-   (ok so maybe I'm still pouting a little)

Thanks!

And another question I have ... once you get Magic Bands, do you use the same ones over and over for different trips?  Or do they issue new ones for each trip?

According to what Devores said once you get your permanent/non-test band you will keep that one for multiple trips. 

Thanks, Jason.  There's been so much info swirling around ... and since the test for the fort was going to end before our next trip begins, I haven't paid enough attention.  Now that it's been extended I need to go back and read all the threads.

And I also read somewhere that you will have to pay for a new one if you loose the one that they give you.  I can't remember how much, but I do remember that it was more than I would like to pay.

TCD

I think I remember someone posting $50 for a replacement.  And the lady who wrote the article Kelly posted above said they pop off easily.  With what we're paying for tickets, $50 is way too much.

And I also read somewhere that you will have to pay for a new one if you loose the one that they give you.  I can't remember how much, but I do remember that it was more than I would like to pay.

TCD

I think I remember someone posting $50 for a replacement.  And the lady who wrote the article Kelly posted above said they pop off easily.  With what we're paying for tickets, $50 is way too much.

I believe $50 is about what I have heard as well. Just one more thing we will have to see. 

My friend Joyce is at WDW now with her band.   She bought the Peace, Love, and Mickey Mouse Bling but she got tired of them falling off.  They aren't very secure. 

597430FE-918E-48A0-854C-58AED4D9BADB-459

She was given a free Slider today.  It will stay put. 

3CEF5040-FA14-4DB2-9E09-DDA36102EBF8-459

She said most of the scanners could read it through her rain jacket.  The turnstyles at the main gate had issues with it on her arm, though.  The CM told her it's a known issue and had her take the band off and scan it while holding it in ther hand.  That worked but was a pain.  It would slow down the lines. 

TCD

Resort guests will not pay for their bands. Lost or other wise. Replacement bands will not be customized and will be the grey ones.

AP holders will get one free one, but will have to pay to replace lost ones.

They will also sell bands at Disney stores for day guests or guests staying off property. The only difference will be what they can access. The ones sold for day guests will have charging, FP+, and park entry but will not have access to resorts or rooms obviously.

Not sure of the cost of the retail bands yet, but supposedly, they will be sold by outside vendors as well. So you could possibly see these at Walmart or Publix and travel agents.

So resort guests will not have to pay to replace mb's, but ap holders will? what about us, we are ap holder/resort guests? I have to say that I'm not real happy to hear that ap holders would have to pay to replace. They are the ones who will use them repeatedly and more often, so also more likely to lose or misplace over time.

RFID chip. No battery.

Yes there is a battery. There is more to the band than a short range RF chip.

So resort guests will not have to pay to replace mb's, but ap holders will? what about us, we are ap holder/resort guests? I have to say that I'm not real happy to hear that ap holders would have to pay to replace. They are the ones who will use them repeatedly and more often, so also more likely to lose or misplace over time.

If you are an AP holder you would use that one already linked to your account. You would not get one as part of your reservation. The goal is once you get one, you keep that one and use it over and over. Also, the greater chance of the AP holder loosing them is the reason they give one free and charge for the replacements. Resort guests have a low replacement cost while AP holders would have a higher replacement cost. AP holders loose 1000 bands a year resort guests loose 100. Economics. Costs less money to replace the 100 than the 1000.

Conflicting answers. Lol

Mine is correct.

Are they using powered chips, really? If so, I stand corrected.

Yes. There is also a long range part to the band that is currently not be using utilized but there are plans to implement it later.  

Months ago we traded our paper AP's in for the plastic AP's. I understand that the new plastic AP's and Magic Bands can be used for charging while at the World. I don't remember them asking me for credit card information when we traded in our old cards. How does the charging capabilities get to your AP cards and Magic Bands?

Dave

Months ago we traded our paper AP's in for the plastic AP's. I understand that the new plastic AP's and Magic Bands can be used for charging while at the World. I don't remember them asking me for credit card information when we traded in our old cards. How does the charging capabilities get to your AP cards and Magic Bands?

Dave

Ill just respond to one of your posts. The answer is the same for both.

Yes, the RF cards and MBs work exactly the same. Just one you wear on your wrist.

For charging, you would log into your MDE account and link your AP to your account.

Then, you would link your credit card to your account as well. If there is not an option on your MDE account to enter a CC number, it will be there soon. They are rolling it out gradually. Once all of those are linked, you can use your RF AP to make FP+ selections and charge.

Once you get a MB, you would link that to your account as well and then you can use your MB to do all of that as well.