The Dragon Calliope - pictures by our own TCD!

Just to set everyone straight, the calliope was not part of the "good old Fort."

It didn't even show up at the barn until June, 2010.

I agreed to let that blogger use my photos, as I thought he was going to write a well-researched article.

I was wrong.

The guy says the last time the calliope was used was 2007.

It was used in last year's Citrus Bowl parade in Orlando.

And, most recently for the week of July 4 in the Magic Kingdom.

Some Disney expert this blogger turned out to be.

TCD

Just to set everyone straight, the calliope was not part of the "good old Fort."

I agreed to let that blogger use my photos, as I thought he was going to write a well-researched article.

I was wrong.

TCD

I guess you have to agree to the article to see what's in the article.  

Does anyone know where it's at?

Fellow Fiend Buckeye Fort Mama saw it loaded up in a trailer last Easter.  She was correctly told that it was being worked on so that it would be ready to appear for the week of July 4th in the Magic Kingdom.

I would imagine it's either backstage somewhere at the MK, or back in that trailer in the FW maintenance area.  They spent some money fixing it up- I expect that they're going to take good care of it.  At least for a while.

TCD

I was wrong.

TCD

That guy used to be featured here and there on that one podcast with that other guy named Lou.

Fellow Fiend Buckeye Fort Mama saw it loaded up in a trailer last Easter. She was correctly told that it was being worked on so that it would be ready to appear for the week of July 4th in the Magic Kingdom.

I would imagine it's either backstage somewhere at the MK, or back in that trailer in the FW maintenance area. They spent some money fixing it up- I expect that they're going to take good care of it. At least for a while.

TCD

Well, I am in the know again as luck would have it since I've just been visiting your ranch.

It is back in the shop. When they "fixed" it up for the 4th of July they stripped the numerous coats of paint off and they were also going to lighten it by removing the non working Calliope workings from all the previous organ powering mechanisms. Unfortunately they covered the Walt Disney Company decal because that is not the official name of the company anymore, but that would be giving up that amazing wagon's history so they are uncovering it.

Does anyone have a picture of it from the 4th to compare?

The stage and coach now on display was purchase by Walt himself so it is historical also and just as magical as the Calliope.

And why didn't the blogger mention the Disney hitch and Calliope's national tour to celebrate the anniversary the year it was moved to Florida?

PS I have some info on the barn roof too but that's for another thread.

Well, I am in the know again as luck would have it since I've just been visiting your ranch.

It is back in the shop. When they "fixed" it up for the 4th of July they stripped the numerous coats of paint off and they were also going to lighten it by removing the non working Calliope workings from all the previous organ powering mechanisms. Unfortunately they covered the Walt Disney Company decal because that is not the official name of the company anymore, but that would be giving up that amazing wagon's history so they are uncovering it.

Does anyone have a picture of it from the 4th to compare?

The stage and coach now on display was purchase by Walt himself so it is historical also and just as magical as the Calliope.

And why didn't the blogger mention the Disney hitch and Calliope's national tour to celebrate the anniversary the year it was moved to Florida?

PS I have some info on the barn roof too but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the on the scene info, BFM!

There are some photos on this site of the calliope from this year's 4th of July MK parade- I'll see if I can find the post.

When was the national tour? 

I hope that you do post the info about the barn roof.  I know you were the first to report that the new roof was coming.  And, you also reported that some upgrades would be included.  There was earlier discussion in another thread that it didn't look like there were any modifications or upgrades, but we know it the project took a long time.  I'd like to hear whatever info you have.

TCD

OK, here's some information available right from FortFiends.net that the respected Disney expert blog writer overlooked.

This is a video, originally posted by fellow Fiend CKCK, which shows the Calliope in the Citrus Bowl parade in December, 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3lHfrG3JOs

And this post from WBI has photos of the calliope in the Magic Kingdom parade in July 2013:

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10566-wbi’s-disneyworld-babymoon/?p=289124

I see the logo in both the video and WBI's photos, so I'm not sure what they are uncovering, as you were told, BFM.

TCD

I see the logo in both the video and WBI's photos, so I'm not sure what they are uncovering, as you were told, BFM.

TCD

Look at them again, they aren't the same decal. The 2012 video's decal has the Walt Disney name on more than one line and the 2013 has the new one line logo.

Look at them again, they aren't the same decal. The 2012 video's decal has the Walt Disney name on more than one line and the 2013 has the new one line logo.

You have a very good eye.

This is a photo of the calliope's logo when it was originally put on display in 2010:

FW610054.jpg

This is a screen cap from that Citrus Bowl parade video:

calliope1_zps98ece8a8.jpg

And this is a screen cap of the only one of WBI's photos that showed the logo:

calliope2_zpsdd13aeec.jpg

Your source is very good.  Thanks for sharing the info!  And when you get a chance, I want to hear all the other gossip you have to report.  I hope there is going to be a trip report?

TCD

I just thought of another place to look for pictures of the calliope from 4th of July week this year, and found a couple of more.

Photo credit for this shot goes to Discamper, but I think he swiped it from somewhere else:

1064359_10201388601733964_1038464064_o_z

And photo credit for this photo goes to Jason, but I believe he swiped it from Brent's Facebook page:

1044864_662039555725_1515831631_n.jpg

Both of those show the 2013 logo, which I assume is going to be corrected according to what BFM was told.

I sure hope someone sends that "internationally respected Disney Historian" who wrote that blog article a link to this page so he can see that the calliope was in use in December 2012 and July 2013.

TCD

I'm pretty sure it was the 20th anniversary. The hitch toured that year just like Budweiser does, but they can't do that anymore now that the follow Animal Kingdom Zoo rules. Too restrictive.

Now that you mention it, I think there might be a word about that in the little display area there in my barn.  I'll have to look next time I'm there.

TCD

• 2 months later...

Thanks for sharing your pictures TCD!

http://land.allears.net/blogs/guestblog/2013/11/in_progress_the_dragon_calliop.html

An interesting blog on the missing calliope!

It's back in it's rightful spotvatejuda.jpg

It's back in it's rightful spotvatejuda.jpg

Great job, Dave!

You are a regular newshound!

I can barely see it, but I think I see the "W" of the logo painted in the oval of the back side of the calliope- there was discussion above in this thread about that logo being repainted- but it doesn't look like it was.  Any chance you can get us a photo of the logo?

TCD

It's back in it's rightful spot

Great job, Dave!

You are a regular newshound!

I can barely see it, but I think I see the "W" of the logo painted in the oval of the back side of the calliope- there was discussion above in this thread about that logo being repainted- but it doesn't look like it was.  Any chance you can get us a photo of the logo?

TCD

Anything for you.9unesy2y.jpg