Mommy Rainbo calls a Do over.....

My dear sweet hubby comes home from work in late august and says guess where they are having my work conference this year.... I was surprised, I didn't even know his employer had conferences(hubby had been promoted, yay him) I kept staring at him, "I don't know? DC?" Amtrak's home. He says No, Orlando.

My mind instantly started to work on how the DD and I could tag along. Do we have the $$? How many days could I take her out of kindergarten? Should I??? Shouldn't I??? How could I not!!

And so it begins.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you tag along? Just let DH know that "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Do we have the money? What the heck are credit cards for?

How many days could I take her out of kindergarten? As many days as you can talk DH into taking the both of you.

Should you? YES!!!

CONGRATS! Lots of pix please!

Finally first on a trip report!

Yay. Yvonne you are first.

How can you tag along? Just let DH know that "if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Do we have the money? What the heck are credit cards for?

How many days could I take her out of kindergarten? As many days as you can talk DH into taking the both of you.

Should you? YES!!!

CONGRATS! Lots of pix please!

I will start tomorrow. There will be more commentary than photos since this was mostly a girls trip, but I will share what I have.

By the beginning of September we had our answer.  Most of the guys were bringing the wives and a few the kids too, so the trips a go.   The conference was at the Doubletree Hilton at Seaworld.  We would be going down by the auto train.  I was able to get the dogs in the doggie daycare.  DD's birthday was at the end of September so I asked the gramps to give Disney gift cards to help with the $$ portion.  We decided to go down a day earlier than the rest of those going to the conference.  We pulled DD out of school on friday so we could travel early.  Hubs wanted us to leave at 9am, in this house that means 8:30 or he will be norting out.   We pulled out on time at 8:25, dropped the dogs off and hit the road.  Left NJ by way of the Delaware Memorial bridge at 8:55.   

We have to plan to be at the Lorton station between 11 and 11:15am.  The ticket office for the southbound train opens at 11:30 and since we are traveling on employee tickets(coach) we need to get on the list to upgrade to a room if there is one available.  Hubs doesn't do coach well.  He starts to sweat this as soon as we decide on going somewhere.  

Soon we are seeing the signs.

DSCN0007_zps4240ba28.jpg

DSCN0009_zps59714bbf.jpg

its 11:15am and we are the first in line.  The building is not as full as our Christmas trip.  So all looks good.

If you get there early (before 1pm and want to go eat.  Do not get in the line to the right. (where the little check in shack is) go to your left and park in the lot facing the building and walk in and check yourself in, if you need to.   You just have to be back before 2:30, last call for cars.   We always leave and go eat or get snacks for the train ride.

The office opened at 11:30 and we were the first to get on the employee list.   Hubs decided on a new area to explore while waiting, plus he wanted a haircut.

We drove out to the main road, turned left and then made a left on the second road.  Lorton station blvd.  Go down a few blocks and you will see a nice strip mall with restaurants and barber shop.  

Welcome to Lorton Station town center.  We parked and walked down to the barber shop.  Hubs got the longest and best hair cut ever.  It was $20 for a awesome flattop including tip.  The stylist was an unconventional looking skinny biker like dude.  He did a great job.  It just took for….ever.  The other stylist did 3 people while hubs was being worked on.

We then went to the Fireside Grill.  It looked good and not too busy.  

P1000949-2_zps551a1ae5.jpg

I ended up having the Ceaser salad and a bowl of potato soup. $7.95 and $3.95  It was really good.

DD had the no chicken, chicken quesadilla $8.25

Hubby had the same as me but added shrimp to his. +$4.95

The service was good.  Not speedy but not slow. 

Afterwards we headed out to the shopping center back on the main road.  I wanted to get a fresh fruit bowl if the local market had one.  DD loves to eat fruit.  The did have it and we got a few other snacks too.

It was a little after 2 so we decided to head over to the train station. It took us all of 3 minutes to get in the truck and drive over.  Now we got in the right lane and drove up to the little check in shack.  The woman checked the Beast in and we pulled up, got out with what we needed to have for the rest of the train trip and sent her off to ride on the auto car.

800px-Auto_TrainAutoracks_Front_zps7fca1

And then we wait.  and wait. and wait to find out if we get a room.  

Finally they called us up at 2:45 and asked how old our child was(first hint that we are getting a room but not the one we hoped for).

They said yes they have a room for us… give us a few minutes to make sure everything is alright.      YES.  back to wait but happy.

image_zps13b807fa.jpg

Next the ROOM...

Ok. it was 3pm the witching hour when they would tell us that they did or did not have a room.  We did.  YAYAY.  but it was a 2 person roomette.  The roomettes measurements are 3ft by 6ft.  Basically two seats facing each other with a collapsable table between.  It was going to be really really tight for the three of us but I was happy to have hubby and DD in a room. 

amtrak-diagram-superliner-deluxesleeper_

BlobServer_zps2046845a.gif

We were assigned room 13 down stairs which was great.  FYI train tip coming up.  The chart up top is correct for the lower level but not the upper level.   If you are assigned up stairs you have to share the single bathroom with 6 other roomettes.  Down stairs there are 4 bathrooms for 4 roomettes.  Plus you don't have to shlep your carry on stuff up the teeny tiny turney staircase.    Down stairs is the place to be.    

We carry one one backpack per person and hubs and I carry additional bag.  Now where to put it.  We (AKA I) was constantly moving stuff around.  We all bring our own pillows. DD brings a blanket and entertainment stuff.  Hubs had work backpack stuff and I have everything else, including a bag of snacks, DD fruit dinner incase of late dinner assignment, and drinks.   

Now here are some of my photos.image_zps1dc706b5.jpg

image_zps50ce37b3.jpg

The left seat where hubs sat.  Mine was identical and I shared it with my DD who is 6. 

image_zpsa3643036.jpg

The stairs to the top bunk is where we stored our food and drink bag.

image_zpsc6d09507.jpg

how DD spent most of her time.

image_zpscad5e1a9.jpg

image_zpsd2f31982.jpg

this on is later at night after dinner with the bed made.  Hubby is above us in the top bunk.

image_zps370d604c.jpg

looking down the hall to the other end.  The end you see has a door and that is the handicapped assessable room.  Still 2 person but with a shower and potty in room.

image_zps5e13a743.jpg

This was in the morning, before we had them put the seats back. approx 6:30am.

image_zpsfd49c47f.jpg

It was doable. Tight, but doable.  If you are traveling by yourself or with one other person.  This would make a nice and almost affordable way to get to Florida.

last photo off of my phone.  

EDA715F1-F2E9-4ECF-805E-94BF08BC6064-508

From Lorton VA to Sanford FL takes about 17 hours and covers about 900 miles, it only makes one stop in the middle of the night to change engineers and take on fuel.  It leaves approximately 4pm(we have always left a few minutes early) and arrives about 9:30am(most of the time earlier but like this trip sometimes later). Only this route has the option of taking your automobile and not making other stops makes it nice.  It is non smoking.  So if you really have to you can get out at the 11:45 stop and smoke then hop back on.  Just make sure you get back on or you are out of luck til the next night.  

It is not cheap and prices are each way.

The coach tickets start about $100 a person with kids half price.(this is what I found when I pretended to make ressie's since we are employees and its free for us.) but the cheaper fares do sell out.  Dinner is included and is pretty good, so is a basic cold breakfast, cereal some fruit, bagels. (but please tip the servers)  There is a bar on board closes about 11pm. 

Auto's start at $175 book earlier for best rates(but think how much gas you spend to go 900 miles)

ROOMS:  This is where it can get expensive.  

The roomettes (2 person), I have seen as low as $200 but go up as they sell out.

Family bedrooms (4beds) are $400 and up

Deluxe superiner room (2 adults one child poss 2 small children) are $700 and up. (if you book early that price can go down a lot)

book early.  I do think they are pretty forgiving about moving some dates around if you have to reschedule your trip.

If anyone has any specific questions I will find them out for you if I can.  We have done this trip a few times now.