Planning a Daddy Surprise!

As some of you know, my husband is currently deployed and wasn't expected to be back for Christmas.  Me being the awesome mom that I am decided to book a trip for Christmas at the Fort to help us get through the holidays without Daddy.  We found out recently that my husband "may" be back!  I am still going to Disney because it can always fall through but we are planning on him coming into Florida mid trip.  I don't want to tell the girls and plans change, that would crush our oldest.  So I need to figure out how to surprise them.  He'll be renting a car with his team and getting dropped off at Disney.  I'm thinking small, we don't like too much fuss but I want it to be special for her.  The girls are almost 4 and 2 if that helps.  I tried talking to Disney and they weren't much help, I was told to check out Disney Florist.....either I didn't explain myself well enough or the lady was an idiot.  I have no idea when he will arrive until we get closer to the date so I need you help to brainstorm for different scenarios.  It can be anywhere on Disney property.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May I make a suggestion. Since I've been through this very thing. Make the plans after you find out the details. The desert party would be great if he arrives around that time. But if he comes in at

He made it about 3pm!  We just got back from the park and the little one and I were still sitting in the cart.  Our site backs up to the road and I saw him walking on the road.  I was able to get Kell

Thats a thought Judy!  I'll have to see if he's up to it.  We will be there a week before he arrives.

Edit: Just checked on how this works, they no longer allow you to sign up.  They pick someone randomly.

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/patriotic-disney/veterans-can-participate-in-disneys-magic-kingdom-flag-retreat/

http://www.militarydisneytips.com/blog/patriotic-disney/veterans-can-participate-in-disneys-magic-kingdom-flag-retreat/

I don't have any ideas either, but wanted to wish you all the best, and say that I hope this happens for your family.

At the ages of your children, I would think Daddy showing up is enough.  No need to stress out over any plans.

We've all seen the dad in the wrapped box trick.  The kids never seem to enjoy that very much.

TCD

Awwww this just brought tears to my eyes. I hope he gets to come home for Christmas. I've seen people reunite at Disney online, so there has to be a way to do it. Have you called the flag people? Despite what it says online, that would be AWESOME. If I were the CM in charge of that, I'd make it happen.

What about having him wait for you in front of the statue at the castle? You could text him when you're walking down Main Street to let him know, and maybe you could even get the photopass photographer in on it to capture the whole reunion with the castle in the background.

May I make a suggestion. Since I've been through this very thing.

Make the plans after you find out the details. The desert party would be great if he arrives around that time. But if he comes in at 7 am, that would be torture for him. Nothing worse then being away for 6 months then being that close and still can't see your kids or wife.

Take his thoughts and feelings into account.

Maybe you could have him "work" at a location. Like the train ride at DTD. You could take the girls on a train ride and he could surprise them by pretending to work there.

Or maybe you could be waiting to take pix with one of the characters and he could come in to join you.

Or you could be on Main Street waiting for a parade to start and he could walk down the street in front of the parade.

He could be sitting at a table in a restaraunt as you are taken to your table.

Or you could be at Beaches n Cream and he could deliver your kitchen sink dessert.

I hope that helps.

But no matter what you do it's going to be magical.

God bless.

May I make a suggestion. Since I've been through this very thing.

Make the plans after you find out the details. The desert party would be great if he arrives around that time. But if he comes in at 7 am, that would be torture for him. Nothing worse then being away for 6 months then being that close and still can't see your kids or wife.

Take his thoughts and feelings into account.

It would kill both of us knowing we were that close!  Every second counts!  I've been playing scenarios over in my head all day trying to figure out what would be the best fit for us.  My husband and I don't like the lime light which is in stark contrast to my girls who LOVE it!   From past experience, we are on deployment #5, from flights coming out of his area he usually gets in around midday, taking all delays in account 9ish would work.  We won't find out the details until around 48 hours out and  then "try" to plan accordingly once we know his plane is touched down.  So I'm currently just thinking that it would be best to have him just "appear" at dinner or at a place.  Our four year old got upset this past trip at Wilderness Lodge because she remembered daddy letting her throw money into the little pool in the lobby area during our summer trip.  This kid remembers everything!  Having him meet us there with a fist full of coins would be something special for her.  Plus it's easy to get to in prospective to the Fort and would be easier than fighting crowds at the park.  He's got to get dropped off somewhere and Wilderness would work.   We could easily take the bus back to our site to drop his stuff off and have a little down time.  I'm also bringing  our  his dog and she goes insane every time he comes home so that would make the old girl happy.  The only time we've actually seen the fireworks being in the MK was this summer at the Dessert Party. Trying to keep the girls close in the dark and mob like atmosphere makes me crazy so the party lets us relax and the girls can still see everything.  We really enjoyed it last time because they made special desserts for our daughter with the allergies, it's awesome to watch her devour a mile high dessert like all the other kids and not worry about a thing!  Can you tell I'm excited?!?! Heres to hoping he comes home and if its not in the cards the girls will still have a blast at Disney.  We'll just have to take him next year at Christmas so we can all enjoy it together!

When are the dates you will be there and try to plan this? Maybe some Fiends who are there could help you in anyway, I know we are there between 12/27 -1/3 and would be honored to help you if we could.

When are the dates you will be there and try to plan this? Maybe some Fiends who are there could help you in anyway, I know we are there between 12/27 -1/3 and would be honored to help you if we could.

We are going to be there from the 9th until the 23rd, hoping that he comes in mid trip.  Thanks for the offer!

The little pool With coins sounds great. So do the pony rides. If he comes in late, maybe you can take the girls to beach to watch the EWP

and or the fireworks show from the MK and he can join you on the beach.

Can you tell I'm a little excited for you guys also. I'm praying everyday that y'all will be reunited this Christmas.

Just my 2 cents, I would try to make it as simple as possible. The main thing you want is the girls and yourself to see him as soon as possible and without major distractions. I would try to plan something at the Fort, then go back to the camper and spend some alone time. If some Fiends are there, maybe they could have lunch, dinner, snacks ready when you get back depending on the time he arrives.

Just my 2 cents, I would try to make it as simple as possible. The main thing you want is the girls and yourself to see him as soon as possible and without major distractions. I would try to plan something at the Fort, then go back to the camper and spend some alone time. If some Fiends are there, maybe they could have lunch, dinner, snacks ready when you get back depending on the time he arrives.

It looks like simple is going to be best, we found out last night that his dates have changed.  I had no doubt that they would!  I'm going to keep it at the Fort and once I get the call that the plane has landed, I'll start planning something at the Fort.  I was extremely fortunate to find a later reservation and then still find yet another to extend us to the 23rd.  We must have some angels out there wanting it as bad as I do!