We Need a Little Christmas- TCD's Express Christmas TR

Do do do do.

Exactly.

Thank you so much for sharing! I am learning so much from this board.  :jumpforjoy

What is the note that special people get on departure day?  I have never ever seen that.

What is up with the pin board?  Are those contributions or pins available for guests?

Carol did a good job answering your questions:

The note is the yellow envelope (your bill). If you do express checkout with charging priveleges, your final bill of what was charged to your card is in that envelope.  Lately they have been sending it by email.

That is a trading board. So if you want to trade some pins and see one you like, then you can trade 1 for 1 from what you have.

That "love note" is your bill.  I haven't received one in a while, as I no longer allow charging privileges on my KTTW cards- I had too many issue with that in the past.  Now, I just pay as I go.  No confusion on check-out day. If you don't have charging privileges, then no love note.

Pin trading is a big deal at WDW.  They sell pins everywhere, and lots of Castmembers wear lanyards with pins.  If you see a pin you like on a pin board or on a CM's lanyard, you can just trade one of your pins for it.  I don't think they're allowed to say no. There are rules and restrictions, of course, but that's the basic idea.  My kids have gotten in to it, but it's not something that interests me.  That pin board in the Fort's Reception Outpost looked pretty sad,  Usually, there is more variety to choose from.

Same item as you only with bacon instead.  We got it twice.  Ate in the inside& potatoes for breakfast and then the bagel with cream cheese for snack.

Are you sure those are horses?  They kinda look like hound dogs to me.

Smart.

So where's you trip report?  I would love to read it.

I assumed that if anyone would know that, it would be you.

Not just an entity, but a government created entity. It's not a privately held company.

Also, the state of FL owns 550 acres, and miscellaneous others own 110 acres.

Technically, no, but as a practical matter, yes.

A five-member board of supervisors governs RCID. Supervisors are elected every two years at the district’s annual landowners meeting. An individual must own land within the district in order to serve on the board.

Here's where it gets dicey. Each board member has historically been deeded approximately five acres of land by an affiliate of the Walt Disney World Co. When a supervisors election is held, each landowner is then entitled to one vote for each acre of land owned; the largest land owner by far is Disney and so it has the most votes. IE, whatever Disney wants, as long as it falls under the agreement, they get. But that was the whole point of creating the RCID. It works for Disney, it works for the state, and it works for the counties bordering RCID, because Disney pretty much pays for everything that the RCID does.

Yeah, you would think I would know this, but I don't.  I find the whole thing confusion.  Which is how Disney wants it, I'm sure.

Where is the 550 acres owned by the state?  That is also something I've not heard of before.

I agree with your last sentence- the bottom line is that Disney is in control.

You are encouraging Dave. Do we need to contact Mrs. TCD and let her know it's time for you to get your head checked?

I never laugh at people like Dave.

We live in a crazy world.  Many times the people we dismiss as nutjobs end up being right.

That was the number I was using but then I found another one 1-407-939-1289.  I found it somewhere, listed under resort reservations.  The first time I called I went through all the automated menus, then I set the phone down and went to the door because the dog was barking at something.  I've never called the other number without being on hold for what seems like ages so I thought I was safe.  I was gone for 10 seconds and I came back to the phone and there was someone on the call already.  Crazy.  And it's been like that every time I've called since - no waiting on hold.  Maybe I've just lucked out.

I think you've lucked out.

Either that, or maybe they are finally improving the phone system.  I gave up on it long ago, and use a travel agent.  The phone system takes too long, and in the past, the folks they had answering the phones were awful.

This time, I had to make the call myself, since I was making last minute adjustments, and didn't have time to go through a travel agent.

TCD

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the pictures!  SPBR?  I guess that will have to do - not too shabby for my third post.  :)

Do do do do.

Andrew, please don't stray from the official anti-Magicband talking points.  Next thing I know, you'll be telling us you got something to drink from the MSB Star.....oh wait.  Nevermind.  You already

Where is the 550 acres owned by the state?  That is also something I've not heard of before.

It's not one big junk, and it's, I believe, all developed.

It's the land that I-4, some of 192, a part of World Drive that is not on Disney property, and some of the land that 429, are on.

Nutjob?

Do you think I don't read your comment responses?  

Oops.

What I said was that we sometimes dismiss people as nutjobs who end up being right.

I haven't dismissed your Iranian Nuclear Project theory.  Quite the contrary- there are some parts of your theory that really seem to fit.

Like the Good and Plenty box.  That almost confirms it for me.

It's not one big junk, and it's, I believe, all developed.

It's the land that I-4, some of 192, a part of World Drive that is not on Disney property, and some of the land that 429, are on.

That makes sense- roads and other infrastructure would be on state land. I understand why the state and Disney would want it that way.

TCD

Even though this was a short trip, we still have a lot of ground to cover, so here comes another update.

On the way to the Reception Outpost, I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before.

It was in this area, which if you've been to the Fort, you will recognize is the driveway to the backstage maintenance area at the Fort. There's lots of interesting stuff back there, but it's off limits to guests.  Anyway, this is the driveway I'm talking about:

FW121313228_zps7e00817b.jpg

All day long, you will see employees coming and going to and from back there, like this guy:

FW121313229_zps8063ef71.jpg

You can't really see what's going on back there, because the built a little berm to hide this backstage area from guests driving on the main road, but there's now something back there that this berm can't hide:

FW121313230_zps92223d41.jpg

Looks like they need a bigger berm:

FW121313231_zpse163fa8d.jpg

That thing is an abomination, I tell you!

Enough of that, I got back to camp, and got ready to heat up something for breakfast for the girls.  I woke them up and told them to come on out in a few minutes.

While I was waiting for them to get moving, I looked at some of the paperwork I had picked up in the office.

They are using the new maps that Mo told us about a month or so ago:

FW121313232_zps8f622914.jpg

This map is a big improvement over the last version that they used.  At least this one is oriented to the north, and the roadways are more accurate.  But, there are still a few pretty big errors on it that should have been caught.  For example, the map does not show the bus stop for the 1100/1200/1300 loops.  The bus stop is still there, and I'm sure the folks in those loops would appreciate it being on the map.  Also, they messed up under letter H there on the left.  They say that the Wilderness Swimming Pool is at the Bike Barn.  The Meadow Pool is correctly shown as being where the "G" is, and the correct location of the Wilderness (cabin) pool is shown under letter "E."  But somebody messed up the listing under letter H. I imagine that they printed thousands of these.  Why didn't somebody catch those errors?

There was some discussion on another thread not too long ago about a camper being stopped by a Ranger because she was towing an ECV behind her golf cart.  The Ranger said the rules say no towing.  But, here are the rules:

FW121313233_zps4846165e.jpg

This is what they handed me at check in on 12/13/13. This is the same version, with the same date, as the rules posted on this site:

FW121313234_zps8af6ea6a.jpg

On that thread I'm talking about, somebody mentioned the hand-out with drawings on it, and said maybe there's something about no towing on there.  Nope. This is the back of that rule page:

FW121313235_zpsb4e0eda2.jpg

What about the golf cart rental agreement itself?  What does it say?

Let's take a look.  Here's the whole thing:

FW121313240_zps97edf110.jpg

Here's the top part so you can read it:

FW121313236_zps8fde5dfa.jpg

and the middle:

FW121313237_zpsdb9095cd.jpg

and the end:

FW121313238_zpsfd677438.jpg

I assume that this is the latest version.  This is the date at the bottom corner:

FW121313239_zps5efdf926.jpg

I don't think towing something behind your golf cart is a good idea, but there is no rule against it.

Enough of that.

Want to know what I was heating up for the girls.

Cinnamon Rolls! :

FW121313241_zps2c2a6b40.jpg

They may have been a little dark on top, and they weren't from the Main Street Bakery, but they weren't bad:

FW121313242_zpsad846cd3.jpg

I may have had one or two myself.

Then it was time for some looping.

This was a Saturday morning, so that meant there would be freeloaders unloading at the pool.  Yup:

FW121313243_zpsd42be982.jpg

There's a whole bunch of them over there staking out the pavilion:

FW121313244_zps86d726e6.jpg

It's so generous of the management to allow this.  Plus, not many families can afford to stay at the Fort with how high the prices have gotten.

Speaking of unruly mobs, we hadn't been back to the group camping area on this trip.  I didn't expect that there would be anything much going on back there, since local schools aren't on break yet, and the weather in December can be cold.  I figured there wouldn't be any groups back there.

I figured wrong.

There was a group. 

A big one.

And they had a sign:

FW121313245_zpsed866e57.jpg

Can you read that sign?

Take a closer look:

meetupsign_zps8ea3e7c6.jpg

I'm not sure if you can read it still, but it says 45+ Meet up- Walk Hike Bike.  And along the bottom, it says Jewish Adventure Club.

This is all news to me.

I did a little research, and found what I think is the website for this group.  I found a link to a camping trip they took to the Fort last year, but not one for this year.  But, I think this is them:  http://www.meetup.com/JewishAdventure/events/71940542/http://www.meetup.com/JewishAdventure/events/71940542/

This year's event apparently was a huge success.  They had tents everywhere:

FW121313246_zps39c3d96a.jpg

FW121313247_zps4791ae62.jpg

Looks like fun.

Next we looped around 1200- this guy with the huge tow vehicle was in this same space last year, and I think the year before that:

FW121313248_zps4b4bf9e9.jpg

He had a bunch of real Christmas trees set up on his site. It looked great during the day, but even better at night:

FW121313249_zps32fa5ce0.jpg

Just around the corner from him was a camper who had the Santa in the Outhouse and the Mooning Santa blow ups.  I'm jealous:

FW121313250_zps36a81692.jpg

FW121313251_zps9547d2b4.jpg

This is a site on 600, I like how they incorporated the Haunted Mansion hitchhiking ghosts in to their display:

FW121313252_zps52d27203.jpg

There were several sites on the 700 loop that had really elaborately decorated golf carts on them:

FW121313253_zpsafc424f3.jpg

FW121313254_zps0a1f4de8.jpg

Look at those things!

We made a stop at the Trail's End drink machine before continuing on with our looping.

So, I had to take another photo:

FW121313255_zpse54425a4.jpg

And we need to stop this update here.

That's 29 photos and one link to the Jewish Adventure Club.

That's the limit.

TCD

[

Here's where it gets dicey. Each board member has historically been deeded approximately five acres of land by an affiliate of the Walt Disney World Co. When a supervisors election is held, each landowner is then entitled to one vote for each acre of land owned; the largest land owner by far is Disney and so it has the most votes. IE, whatever Disney wants, as long as it falls under the agreement, they get. But that was the whole point of creating the RCID. It works for Disney, it works for the state, and it works for the counties bordering RCID, because Disney pretty much pays for everything that the RCID does.

Wasn't that Walt's way of basically avoiding the Orange County Goverment bureaucracy. I had read he told the State if they didn't approve the "District" he was pulling out.

Wasn't that Walt's way of basically avoiding the Orange County Goverment bureaucracy. I had read he told the State if they didn't approve the "District" he was pulling out.

RCID/WDW is located in two counties, mostly Orange, but what a bureaucratic mess that would have been if the RCID wasn't created.

Don't know if he ever had to threaten to pullout or not, because I can't imagine why the state would turn him down. It was a win, win, for both.

The state really didn't approve what we now know as WDW. The creation of RCID was based on Disney building the city of tomorrow, EPCOT. The MK theme park was secondary, and was for recreational purposes for the thousands of people living in EPCOT. It never happened.

RCID/WDW is located in two counties, mostly Orange, but what a bureaucratic mess that would have been if the RCID wasn't created.

Don't know if he ever had to threaten to pullout or not, because I can't imagine why the state would turn him down. It was a win, win, for both.

The state really didn't approve what we now know as WDW. The creation of RCID was based on Disney building the city of tomorrow, EPCOT. The MK theme park was secondary, and was for recreational purposes for the thousands of people living in EPCOT. It never happened.

True.

If you ever watch the video of Walt introducing the Florida project, he calls the whole thing EPCOT.  There would be a theme park, but the main thing was supposed to be EPCOT.  And EPCOT was not a theme park- it was supposed to be a real city.  A big one too.  I often wonder what would have happened if Walt hadn't died when he did.  Things would have turned out very different.

TCD

If anyone is still in need of a little Christmas, I have some more for you right here.

It's still Saturday morning, and we're out looping.

What's this?  A Hippie Santa?  That's just wrong:

FW121313256_zps27ce9688.jpg

The dog park had brisk business on Saturday morning:

FW121313257_zps0d88ce4c.jpg

Here we are on the 1800 loop.  I've seen these folks back here on this very site before- that car is hard to miss:

FW121313258_zps952c0201.jpg

FW121313259_zps842e785d.jpg

FW121313260_zps965891cb.jpg

Here's another blow-up with Santa loosing his pants.  Why are there so many with this theme?:

FW121313261_zps8ffc1eaf.jpg

That's an interesting looking trailer those folks have:

FW121313262_zpsdde469c9.jpg

This is another site on 1800- I think I recognize these folks too- that tree with the fall leaves on the left looks familiar:

FW121313263_zpsa3fe4c2a.jpg

On the 1900 loop, it looks like we found Santa's campsite, and that today was laundry day.  Look at that tacky clothesline, Larry:

FW121313264_zps4745bd94.jpg

I was surprised to see that Santa camps in one of those R-Pods.  But, I guess he tows a long way, so he likes a smaller trailer. And look- the reindeer must be camping with him- he has a fence to keep them in.  But can't they just fly over it?:

FW121313265_zpsb684cf8c.jpg

This bench was set up on the 1700 loop.  Why?:

FW121313266_zps969631df.jpg

When we made it back from looping, we found that half of Little Bear Loop had cleared out.  But don't worry, more folks came in and filled these empty spots:

FW121313267_zpsec76c01c.jpg

I don't remember why I took this photo, but it shows the TCD camper on our site:

FW121313268_zpseb6fb38c.jpg

I do remember why I took this photo.  I believe that was either this site, or the one next to it where we first camped in our then new camper in November, 1999.  I have photos from that trip, and I think if I study some of the larger trees, I'll be able to figure it out.

FW121313269_zps402e9990.jpg

At this point, the girls headed up to the comfort station to get showers, and I decided to walk to the Meadow Trading Post to get us a couple of things I needed for our lunch.

As I headed that way, I noticed that there were people on Bob's dock.  What nerve:

FW121313270_zps4dda27af.jpg

There they are!  I yelled at them to get off, and said they had better be gone when I came back out of the Trading Post:

FW121313271_zps09605e1a.jpg

In the meantime, I was once again enjoying the decorations and music:

FW121313272_zps48125108.jpg

There should be a couple of rocking chairs right here- but someone moved them around the corner.  Rude:

FW121313273_zpsbae35bf3.jpg

When I came back out, the dock trespassers were on their way.  I told them I had better not see them back on the dock, and they said yes sir:

FW121313274_zpsa2130cd5.jpg

It was kind of cloudy this afternoon, but I'll take it:

FW121313275_zpsaeac4af6.jpg

We had some lunch, and got ready to head over to Hollywood Studios   We had FP+'s for Toy Story, Rock N' Roller Coaster, and the 6:30 Fantasmic show.  Then we were going to see the Osborne Lights before bouncing to the MK.  We also had a plan for dinner.

We headed out a little past 2.  I had exchanged texts with Lou, but he said he wasn't coming by until later, so we headed out.  He apparently got to the Fort earlier than expected, and saw us heading out on the cart.  Sorry I missed you, Lou.

There was a big group playing kickball in the field next to the main road:

FW121313276_zpsc5597f17.jpg

I took that photo at 2:13 pm, and this one at 2:32 pm:

FW121313277_zpsbe577873.jpg

Who says the buses are slow?

At Hollywood Studios, we checked at the place we were planning to come for dinner.  The last time we were here, we found out they closed at 6, so we wanted to check and be sure this time.  The closing time was still 6.  But one of the items that Twin #2 wanted to try was no longer on the menu.  She wanted to try the meatballs in a cone- and now those are gone and they have turkey legs and pork shanks.  Eww:

FW121313278_zpsba9f8862.jpg

The tip board showed that there were still paper FP's available for times that we could use at both TOT and RNR ,so Twin #1 ran to get those with our KTTW cards and passes:

FW121313279_zps68cba232.jpg

Usually I'm the FP runner, so I got to chill while she ran.  Well, it was kind of hard to chill since it was 81:

FW121313281_zpsf6ced615.jpg

81 on December 14.  That's how we roll.

This was a good day.

The only thing that ruined it was that stupid Mulch Sweat and Shears band was blaring on the hat stage.  Those guys are always here!:

FW121313282_zps723210e6.jpg

On another thread, DIT couldn't remember the name of the place next to Starring Rolls where you can get a carrot cake cookie,  Neither could I.  I'm still not sure of the name after looking at the sign, but this is it:

FW121313283_zps33b0c0fc.jpg

And that is a carrot cake cookie on the shelf if you need confirmation:

FW121313284_zps7f8cbac5.jpg

Twin #1 arrived back with the FP's, and we headed on to Toy Story where she beat me soundly:

FW121313285_zps66dcc54c.jpg

But, twin #2 got the high score in our car:

FW121313286_zps0d499fa4.jpg

That's another 30.

Next, we killed some time in the animation class, and looked at some Frozen stuff.

Then, it's on to TOT and RNR.

TCD

On the way to the Reception Outpost, I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before.

It was in this area, which if you've been to the Fort, you will recognize is the driveway to the backstage maintenance area at the Fort. There's lots of interesting stuff back there, but it's off limits to guests.  Anyway, this is the driveway I'm talking about:

FW121313228_zps7e00817b.jpg

All day long, you will see employees coming and going to and from back there, like this guy:

FW121313229_zps8063ef71.jpg

You can't really see what's going on back there, because the built a little berm to hide this backstage area from guests driving on the main road, but there's now something back there that this berm can't hide:

FW121313230_zps92223d41.jpg

Looks like they need a bigger berm:

FW121313231_zpse163fa8d.jpg

That thing is an abomination, I tell you!

Back when I did the triathlon at FW (2009, I think?), that road to the backstage maintenance area was used as part of the route for the bike portion.  It was nothing special back there, but I just loved getting to see an area that was otherwise always off limits.  I wished I had brought my camera so I could take pictures back there, but it's probably a good thing I didn't, as I'm sure I would have crashed and burned trying to take pictures while riding a bike. 

Back when I did the triathlon at FW (2009, I think?), that road to the backstage maintenance area was used as part of the route for the bike portion.  It was nothing special back there, but I just loved getting to see an area that was otherwise always off limits.  I wished I had brought my camera so I could take pictures back there, but it's probably a good thing I didn't, as I'm sure I would have crashed and burned trying to take pictures while riding a bike. 

I remember when you did the triathlon.

If you really want to see what's back there, look up the Fort on Bing maps and use the street view. The camera truck drove through there, and you can see everything.

And, don't tell anyone, but, ironically enough, there will be some photos of that area towards the end of this report.  When it's a busy check out day, they will sometimes route traffic through there.  And we checked out on a busy check out day.  And nobody said no photos allowed.

The only problem we had was that we came back with more than just photos.  I picked up an unwanted souvenir back there too.  But, we will get to that later.

TCD

that road to the backstage maintenance area was used as part of the route for the bike portion.  It was nothing special back there, but I just loved getting to see an area that was otherwise always off limits.  I wished I had brought my camera so I could take pictures back there, but it's probably a good thing I didn't, as I'm sure I would have crashed and burned trying to take pictures while riding a bike. 

While the maintenance facility is back there, it's other main function is as the "Cast Services" location. It houses a CM break area, meeting room, computer room, etc.

You'll also probably see the trailer that the Calliope is stored in, and is transported by.

Nothing special to see though, and if you ever mistakenly wonder back there, your car won't blow up. There is no security back there.

It's also the CM entrance, and I know for a fact that TCD has been back there and did not have to sneak in.

While the maintenance facility is back there, it's other main function is as the "Cast Services" location. It houses a CM break area, meeting room, computer room, etc.

You'll also probably see the trailer that the Calliope is stored in, and is transported by.

Nothing special to see though, and if you ever mistakenly wonder back there, your car won't blow up. There is no security back there.

It's also the CM entrance, and I know for a fact that TCD has been back there and did not have to sneak in.

There are a few interesting artifacts back there too.

Like the original giant log slice Ft. Wilderness sign.

And the original FWRR roundhouse, which is now the laundry facility for the cabins.

And you know those cool log benches that have gone missing?

I know where they are.

caught up

Good job.  I'm doing my best to keep ahead of you.

Uh oh....did you get a nail in your tire?

No, not a nail.

Or ants?

Nope.

We will get to that at the end of the report.

This was a Saturday morning, so that meant there would be freeloaders unloading at the pool.  Yup:

FW121313243_zpsd42be982.jpg

Why do they allow this to continue? Isn't there something at can be done?

It would be easy to do something about it.

Post a CM there and ask for resort ID.

But they'd have to pay that CM.

So it isn't going to happen.

Freeloaders don't cost them anything.

The only people bothered by them are the paying customers.

And they've already shown time and time again what they think about us.

All caught up.

The Four Seasons is nothing one of those famous florida sinkholes cant fix.

I would like to try the animation class but i dont think the younglings would have the patience for it at this point.

That would be sweet if that thing sank in a sink hole!

You're probably right about the animation class.  My kids had zero interest in it until just a few years ago.  Your time will come.

TCD

When I filled out the lengthy survey they sent after our stay I noted how people were using the pool but not staying at FW and how that had a negative impact on my otherwise enjoyable vacation. In reality we didn't even get a chance to use the pool this trip. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to complain about it for others. I also suggested they put in a lazy river on the grass area near the pool. I'm sure that idea was filed in the round file too.