We Need a Little Christmas- TCD's Express Christmas TR

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the pictures!  SPBR?  I guess that will have to do - not too shabby for my third post.  :)

Do do do do.

Andrew, please don't stray from the official anti-Magicband talking points.  Next thing I know, you'll be telling us you got something to drink from the MSB Star.....oh wait.  Nevermind.  You already

If saying something clever was a prerequisite, I'd never post. Post away.... anytime, Marty.

Okay, I know I will probably get a hard time for saying this.  Dave and possibly TCD as well will say I am a softie and giving a certain bus driver a swelled head.  But I can't resist. 

:heart: Lou!

Well the presents are open, the food has been cooked and now it's time for dad to relax and get caught up on fort fiends. Andrew, you caught me off guard and just realized you had a new TR here. Yipeeeee....page 10. Anyways, you had so many cool things I'll try to remember what I was going to write.

1. Jingle cruise- I guess I would give Disney an "A" for effort on this. I totally agree they could have done such a better job if they themed some of the items along the cruise. Even some Christmas lights would have been a good touch. We got excited with the themed que and the colored lights on the dock across the river. I guess that's what we get for not reading about it prior and waiting almost an hour during a MVMCP I will say this was the first time we did the JC at night and I thought it was much better

2. Fort decorations- a real big kudos to Disney for decorating the fort in normal grand style. As you pointed out even with the small attention to details of tree ornaments. I think they do a great job from pioneer hall to each bus stop. The only thing that stunk for us during our thanksgiving trip was ,there was a large strand of lights out on your favorite tree near pioneer hall right in the middle of it. This was a huge fail for nighttime holiday photos. If you had a chance to stop at the contemporary you would probably agree they super slacked on holiday decorations. When standing on the dock and looking at the hotel, nothing looked like Christmas. Even in the lobby, besides the huge Mickey ears wreath and the gingerbread tree, they were severly lacking decorations, at least for usual Disney tradition.

3. Magic bandits- Only Disney could think of ways to recoup 1 billion dollars through plastic crap that will get lost on you trip. I guess if this is your once a year magical vacation from Antarctica and have a wad of money to blow, you could bling yourself and your band out. Totally crazy yet very smart.

4. Packing in the rain- nothing worse. When we had a pop up it was always a re-set up back at the house to dry everything out. I learned the hard way with boat canvas/tops years ago. No fun

5. Personal opinions on FF- I think this past year it has been seen how some people take offense to personal opinions. This is the internet.. Everything is a goof on the net. I'm not sure what you said about the people with the white "plastic car ports" in a previous TR, but I'm guessing it may have been the Sanford and son group that brought a ton of junk. If it is, I wouldn't care how they felt. I felt it was a disgrace to the fort. See, I said it...lol

This was a great quick report. It's so great you can still pull these off from time to time with school schedules. We bought our AP's last week and are totally excited. There may not be as many fort trips as in the past due to rising site cost, but many more quick weekend trips at an Expedia deal hotel. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Great TR as always!  Okay so I'd like to hijack your report and discuss those tents that attach to your SUV.  We are tent campers and are looking for a bigger one.  We have looked into these.  We just can't decide if they really are a good idea.  I drive a suburban.  Here is the thing, you have to take your home apart to go anywhere.  I just can't think of too many pluses.  Am I missing something?  They look so cool so I want to like them.

Great TR as always!  Okay so I'd like to hijack your report and discuss those tents that attach to your SUV.  We are tent campers and are looking for a bigger one.  We have looked into these.  We just can't decide if they really are a good idea.  I drive a suburban.  Here is the thing, you have to take your home apart to go anywhere.  I just can't think of too many pluses.  Am I missing something?  They look so cool so I want to like them.

You make a good point. Those are really only a good idea if you aren't going to drive anywhere.

I don't have a photo of that t-shirt on the bottom, but I remember that it did not say Fort Wilderness on it.  It was something stupid like pacific or west coast camping.

I would love a bench too please.  Let me know when, and I will have my dad come pick it up.

A friend had one of these and if I was still car camping I would think about getting one.  The idea is that you make your bed in the back part of the SUV, which puts it up off the ground (kind of like a pop-up bed) and it frees up floor space in the tent when you are inside of it.  When you want to drive somewhere you loosen up the cord, move the car, and then tighten the cord to keep the tent waterproof.  Reverse the process when you come back.  The only downside is that if you need the back seat in the SUV, you have to fold up the bed and then remake it later, but many people in tents do that anyway so they can walk in the tent, esp if its a rainy day.....  I think it's a clever way of expanding your tent space and getting double duty from your car.  :camp1: 

5. Personal opinions on FF- I think this past year it has been seen how some people take offense to personal opinions. This is the internet.. Everything is a goof on the net. I'm not sure what you said about the people with the white "plastic car ports" in a previous TR, but I'm guessing it may have been the Sanford and son group that brought a ton of junk. If it is, I wouldn't care how they felt. I felt it was a disgrace to the fort. See, I said it...lol

I am always amazed at some of what I see when at FW, (I posted last year about out-of-control groups and the trashed group areas they left behind....)  TCD's pics remind me that the real problem isn't with the groups or people who take advantage, there will always be those who are self-centered and oblivious.  The real problem is with FW allowing it to happen.  Just as with society in general, if the rules are not perceived to be fairly enforced, then respect for the rules quickly goes out the window....

The icing on the cake is when someone is "offended" when their bad behaviour is pointed out!    :banghead:

TCD, does this rate a RWOG award?   :laugh:

A friend had one of these and if I was still car camping I would think about getting one.  The idea is that you make your bed in the back part of the SUV, which puts it up off the ground (kind of like a pop-up bed) and it frees up floor space in the tent when you are inside of it.  When you want to drive somewhere you loosen up the cord, move the car, and then tighten the cord to keep the tent waterproof.  Reverse the process when you come back.  The only downside is that if you need the back seat in the SUV, you have to fold up the bed and then remake it later, but many people in tents do that anyway so they can walk in the tent, esp if its a rainy day.....  I think it's a clever way of expanding your tent space and getting double duty from your car.  :camp1:

Okay I think I get it.  Not really for families with kids?  No one really sleeps in the tent?  I didn't really understand what you meant on this part of your comment, "many people in tents do that anyway so they can walk in the tent"

Also on you signature. God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.  -- I know the man who wrote that song.  Sweetest guy and family.  His daughter and I grew up together.  I worked with his wife.  They are friends of my parents and live in the same tiny town as them.  And right across the river from me.  :)

Okay I think I get it.  Not really for families with kids?  No one really sleeps in the tent?  I didn't really understand what you meant on this part of your comment, "many people in tents do that anyway so they can walk in the tent"

Also on you signature. God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.  -- I know the man who wrote that song.  Sweetest guy and family.  His daughter and I grew up together.  I worked with his wife.  They are friends of my parents and live in the same tiny town as them.  And right across the river from me.  :)

Yeah , I love that song, I see evidence everyday that it's true.....      :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PKpQRjj_WbU

Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing about the tent, what I meant was that I used to fold up the sleeping bags during the day so we would have some more room to walk in the tent to change or get out of the rain, and so no one would leave muddy footprints on my bed...  LOL   My friend who had the car-tent didn't have to do that because his were already off the tent floor and out of the way unless he needed to use the back seat of the car for something.

Another plus for that is sleeping in the back part of the car gives you some protection against wildlife, especially otters.....           :camp1: