We Need a Little Christmas- TCD's Express Christmas TR

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the pictures!  SPBR?  I guess that will have to do - not too shabby for my third post.  :)

Do do do do.

Andrew, please don't stray from the official anti-Magicband talking points.  Next thing I know, you'll be telling us you got something to drink from the MSB Star.....oh wait.  Nevermind.  You already

I already mentioned this, but we saw these video display boards for the first time in the very last room of the queue where the FP guests meet up with the standby guests.  In my opinion video monitors mounted on the wall there is totally at odds with the theming.  Plus, the cartoonish Yeti is inconsistent with the serious/scientific aspects of the room that standby guests have just left.  Dumb:

FW121313550_zpseb6d30fb.jpg

So why are these here?

Look at this photo:

FW121313551_zps060a2bad.jpg

See how the Yeti is welcoming Wilby Daniels?  Who the heck is Wilby Daniels?  I think some knucklehead imagineer came up with a plan to have some technology read guests' MagicBands and display their names here in the queue.  I guess they think guests will love that.  I'm not so sure about that plan.  How about you build some more rides, so that the guests spread out among them, and you don't have to think about how to entertain them while they wait?  How about figuring out a way to reduce the wait?

I think you have this exactly right.  Totally out of place in that setting.

Just a few more comments before we move on:

So glad to hear this.  I had noticed your absence, and was worried that maybe something was wrong.  Good to hear you're well and following your son around the state!

Wow!

That's amazing.

Someone who actually loves Good and Plenty?

Your husband isn't from Iraq is he?

TCD

X-country is done and we are on to ski racing now. While I still will be traveling the state to watch the races, there is wi-fi at most of the resorts, so I can keep up on my Fortfiends reading!!

My husband swears he isn't from Iraq, but now I am wondering!! I'll have to keep a close eye on him!! He also likes Mike & Ikes, I wonder if that is a bad sign!

X-country is done and we are on to ski racing now. While I still will be traveling the state to watch the races, there is wi-fi at most of the resorts, so I can keep up on my Fortfiends reading!!

My husband swears he isn't from Iraq, but now I am wondering!! I'll have to keep a close eye on him!! He also likes Mike & Ikes, I wonder if that is a bad sign!

Mike&Ike's makes him a definitely red-blooded American.

If you're still reading along, we are almost there.

Looking in the old photo bucket, it looks like the next update will be the last for this report.

That means you're going to find out about that souvenir I picked up somewhere between the Fort and the Lodge.

But first:

The weather was awesome then. Man i wish i was still there.

Cant wait to see the pics of you towing out the Calliope when you leave.

Nope, it wasn't the calliope, but I should have thought about that while I had the chance.  I wonder if there would have been room in the trailer for some log benches and that old log sign too?

That would be epic.  TCD pulling the calliope with the Excursion, flying down I-4 toward Tampa with a fleet of Chevy Equinox security vehicles in hot pursuit. 

You're right.

Epic.

I may need to give this some thought.

Traveling to ski resorts doesn't sound too bad.

We will need to keep an eye on your husband.

Mike&Ike's makes him a definitely red-blooded American.

Agreed.

Mike and Ike's rock.

And, I believe they are included in the candy distributed at the MNSSHP's at the MK.

Can't get more American than that.

TCD

Well, here we are.

The end of the line.

A photo from our second EE ride- we got near the front again, which meant I got a peek from the top of the mountain:

FW121313566_zps3548529a.jpg

As you may know, you're only up here for a few seconds, but that doesn't mean that there's not a lot to see.  It's easier to recognize stuff when you're there in person.  In case you missed what there is to see, here's a cheat sheet:

EEwnotes_zps98265aa8.jpg

The boys in front had waited to get a chance to ride in the front- they were cracking us up the whole time:

FW121313569_zpsb8d5e8eb.jpg

After EE, it was time for us to use our FP+'s for the Safari. 

I have to say that for AK, the FP+ system worked great.  This visit was before the recent implementation of FP+ only there.  I'm not sure how things are going there now.  But, even with the 3 FP+ limitation, it ought to be OK- as far as I know, they haven't introduced tiering, like they have at Epcot and DHS.  So, you could still reserve the three major attractions, and then enjoy the shows that your don't need a FP for.

We had a very animated guest in the bench in front of us on the Safari.  He had a big camera, and was very excited to snap multiple photos of everything.  Plus, he would rise up off the seat, and lean over his neighbors if he had to.  This is him:

FW121313577_zps90bfce2c.jpg

I took that photo because it was funny how much effort the guy was putting in to trying to get a photo of a giraffe that was up a hill and pretty much concealed behind a tree on the left side of our vehicle.

In the meantime, I saw that there was a giraffe just standing there waiting to be photographed on our right.  It would be funny if the guy didn't notice it:

FW121313578_zps2b2856ad.jpg

Sure enough, we drove right past that giraffe and the excited man didn't even turn his head:

FW121313580_zpsb0001981.jpg

He missed getting himself a nice giraffe photo:

FW121313581_zps25478802.jpg

Giraffe butt:

FW121313582_zps0923f0ae.jpg

We hit the safari at a good time, there were lots of animals out today:

FW121313586_zpse0fdee43.jpg

Usually, if you can even see the lions, they will just be sleeping.  Not today.  There were two females and a male, and they were all up and moving around:

FW121313590_zpsb2075a8e.jpg

As we passed by, the male tried to play leap frog with one of the ladies:

FW121313592_zps00e2b37a.jpg

Fortunately, the lady told him to get lost.  Better luck next time big guy:

FW121313596_zps34871b27.jpg

The zebras were out and about at the end.  I thought they had been removed, but here they are:

FW121313600_zpsed339f70.jpg

One of the reasons we had come to AK was to see the Christmas parade.  The girls were still going to do that, but I had to go back to the Lodge to take care of something.

Namely, this:

FW121313602_zps98b9ab54.jpg

Not cool.

But, at least I found out about it before we spent the whole day at AK and were ready to head home.

I left this out, but after lunch, I had gone out to the truck to get something I forgot, and noticed the tire was low.  That wasn't good, as I had definitely checked all the tires before we left home, and pumped them up to proper pressure.   So, I took a look.  Sure enough, there was a screw embedded in my tire!  And, I could hear the air leaking.  So, I would have to change it.  I didn't want to do it then, as the girls were waiting to head to AK, so I went, and told them that I would come back early to take care of it.

On my way from AK to the Lodge on the bus, I called AAA.  I have the RV+ on my membership, which covers my trailer.  I figured I would let them change the tire, as it would be a pain not to mention dangerous for me to use my Excursion jack to jack up the trailer.  I've only had one flat on the camper before, and AAA came out and changed it quickly.  I figured they would be even quicker here around Disney World.  I figured wrong.  The lady who helped me on the phone took forever just to get the basic information.  I think she was trying to find someone to respond while still on the phone with me.  At the end of the call, she said it would be about 50 minutes before someone could come out, and that they would call when they were on the way.

Oh well, still better than fooling with it myself.

Plus, I got to hang out in the Villas lobby:

FW121313604_zps4dc0a211.jpg

Here's a bonus- I'll show you where to find a really cool Hidden Mickey.

Stand in the middle of the lobby and look back toward the entrance-then walk up and look at the side of the log I've marked here:

VWLHM_zps4a3b00a6.jpg

Looking up in the center of the lobby:

FW121313607_zps81835a38.jpg

There's a great lounge area here that is seldom busy- this would be a great place to come on the rare day that the weather is too bad at the Fort to enjoy being outside:

FW121313610_zps0e88206e.jpg

At around the 50 minute mark, I hadn't heard from AAA.   I decided to head back to the truck to wait, as I figured someone would be by soon.

Then I got a call.

It was a new lady.  She said she was still trying to find someone to come and help me. She made me give her all of the information I had given to the first lady.  I asked her what was the deal?  Shouldn't someone have already been here.  She told me that she was the only person on duty to handle RV calls for AAA for three states, and that she had lots of customers broken down in dangerous areas that she had to help first.  Further, she told me, arguing with her would not speed up the process.  Oh.  I said OK, please let me know when someone is on the way.

Another hour passed.

No call.

I've been waiting two hours now, and no sign that anyone is on the way.

All I need is a darn jack.

I'll change it myself.

It's just a little trailer tire.

I decided to go and dig out my jack.

But then I got an idea.

Disney has automobile assistance.

In my check-in materials, there's a number to call,   It says they can't tow RV's, but I wonder if they could just bring me a jack?

I called.

Got a really nice lady.

She said someone would be there in 15 minutes.

He was there in 10.

Here I am heading toward the setting sun to meet the Disney guy:

FW121313611_zpsaca411b8.jpg

The Lodge was a lovely place for me to wait:

FW121313612_zpsfaab1b72.jpg

FW121313613_zps8bb204c3.jpg

The Disney guy was awesome.  He had the trailer jacked up and the tire changed in less than 5 minutes.

I just got to stand there and admire the setting sun gleaming off of the main Wilderness Lodge building:

FW121313614_zps23f852db.jpg

I had kept the twins updated as I waited there at the Lodge.

They texted me just as the Disney guy finished.  They were back at the Lodge.

Perfect.

I guess the Disney tow truck guys aren't real Disney CM's, because I slipped the guy a 20, and he didn't give it back.

It was well worth it.

I never did get a call from AAA.

So I called them.

The said someone was on the way.

I told them to call it off.

When I got home, I sent a complaint in to AAA.  I understand if it's a busy day, but they could have done a much better job communicating with me.  They said they would respond to my complaint in 10 days.  I'm still waiting.

Good thing I wasn't pulled over on I-4 or somewhere not as nice as the Lodge.

My new spare tire:

FW121313615_zpse81cd19a.jpg

That's a pretty big screw.

I figured I picked it up backstage.

But, there's no way to prove that.

What can you do?

We headed home from here.

Little did I know that we would be back before the end of the month.

But, that's another trip report.

This one is done.

TCD

We had to use Disney automotive assistance once. They were great! We brought the tent to the Fort once when we were between campers. We had brought my Pilot with our utility trailer. After unloading we left the trailer hooked up, and yes, we forgot to unplug from my car. So the battery was dead. We got the number for automotive assistance from the front desk. The guy who came out was super nice and charged my battery. He had an awesome charger that worked really fast. He wouldn't accept any money- said it was part of his job!

Great TR as always, TCD, cant wait for the next one.  Hopefully soon.  Sorry to hear you had to miss the big game. 

I remembered in your last TR you posted pics of the check in materials.  So I took a look to see the number for automotive assistance for future reference.  Come to find out it's for the AAA Car Care Center.  I guess in a way AAA helped you out after all.  Too bad AAA doesn't realize they have AAA at WDW.

Wow. You went backstage and got screwed.

You definitely should have went back and taken a log bench for your troubles.

AAA needs to changed their initials to SMB.

LOL.  Well done, Aaron.

I initially thought about making a complaint about picking up that screw back there, but I could have picked it up anywhere.  For all I know, it fell off of somebody's trailer right before I ran it over.  No way to pin it on Disney.

That certainly wasn't a fun way to end your vacation.

True, but it ended up being no big deal.

Thank goodness we stopped at the Lodge.  It would have been bad if I lost that tire on the interstate.

Was there a charge for Disney changing your tire?  My dd is heading to WDW with a friend and I tend to worry.

There was no charge.

The blurb in the check-in package says it's complimentary.

We had to use Disney automotive assistance once. They were great! We brought the tent to the Fort once when we were between campers. We had brought my Pilot with our utility trailer. After unloading we left the trailer hooked up, and yes, we forgot to unplug from my car. So the battery was dead. We got the number for automotive assistance from the front desk. The guy who came out was super nice and charged my battery. He had an awesome charger that worked really fast. He wouldn't accept any money- said it was part of his job!

I've gotten jumps from Fort employees too.  I've had a couple of instances where a light was left on, and flagged down one of the site attendants, who radioed a regular Fort employee to come by and give me a plain old jump with a Fort truck.

I didn't know Disney offered those services. 

Ah, but they do:

CarCare_zps55e6b03f.jpg

Great TR as always, TCD, cant wait for the next one.  Hopefully soon.  Sorry to hear you had to miss the big game. 

I remembered in your last TR you posted pics of the check in materials.  So I took a look to see the number for automotive assistance for future reference.  Come to find out it's for the AAA Car Care Center.  I guess in a way AAA helped you out after all.  Too bad AAA doesn't realize they have AAA at WDW.

I just posted the part of the check-in packet with the number.

That's the number I called.

I'm not sure what the relationship is with AAA, as the guy who helped me did not ask me for my AAA card, and AAA knew nothing about him.

The problem I have with AAA is that they apparently funnel all the RV calls to one lady, who covers multiple states.  Yes, this was a Sunday, but it was around 3 pm when I called- it shouldn't have taken over two hours for them to get somebody there to help me.

TCD

I'm not sure what the relationship is with AAA, as the guy who helped me did not ask me for my AAA card, and AAA knew nothing about him.

The problem I have with AAA is that they apparently funnel all the RV calls to one lady, who covers multiple states.  Yes, this was a Sunday, but it was around 3 pm when I called- it shouldn't have taken over two hours for them to get somebody there to help me.

TCD

We got schooled by our tow driver (we were in his cab almost two hours) a couple of weeks ago on how AAA works, and how BADLY they pay the drivers. Also if the weather is bad and those same drivers are often in the "police call wreckers for accidents" pool then they tend to blow off AAA calls because they make a TON more money on accidents from the state.

Also after lots of research by folks on here and other RV sites, AAA +RV is not as good of service as Good Sam.

We got schooled by our tow driver (we were in his cab almost two hours) a couple of weeks ago on how AAA works, and how BADLY they pay the drivers. Also if the weather is bad and those same drivers are often in the "police call wreckers for accidents" pool then they tend to blow off AAA calls because they make a TON more money on accidents from the state.

Also after lots of research by folks on here and other RV sites, AAA +RV is not as good of service as Good Sam.

This is disappointing for me to hear.  I've been a AAA member for as long as I've had a drivers' license.

I added the RV+ a few years back when we took a trip to Grayton Beach, which is a lot farther than I normally go with the camper.  After this experience, though, I may drop it.

What disappoints me the most is that AAA still has not responded to my complaint about how this incident was handled.  If there were a lot of accidents in the area that day, fine, somebody should have told me that I would be sitting there for 2+ hours.  Maybe if they had another couple of employees to handle calls, and paid the drivers a fair rate, I wouldn't have been sitting there like that.

TCD