Mike & Suz Rookie trip report

OK, be gentle.  This is a first try.   This may be more like  some "pics with comments" than a bona fide trip report, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

20131114_171009.jpg

First things first...set up camp.    Get the Mickey Lamp up (oops forgot to make a base for it...bungee cords on the front of the motorhome will have to do.   Pinecone Mickey magically appears at our campsite.   It is....a magical place...after all!

20131114_170932+%25282%2529.jpg

Oh, of course, the new blow-up Mickey and a homemade Mickey leftover from Halloween.  Bikes out, ready for action.

20131112_180538+%25282%2529.jpg

First night....have to run down the beach and watch fireworks and water pageant.  Susan decided her EZip scooter needed some festive lights this year.  She LOVES that scooter!

20131116_155213.jpg

Wed spend most of our time around the Fort while visiting. Sometimes don't even hit the parks.   Opted for a little Canoe action one day. Saw these guys along the way. I don't think we've ever been canoeing and didn't see a lot of deer and other critters.

20131116_155357.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing more turkeys than we saw on this trip.  One evening while sitting outside at our site, I looked along the channel to see a BUNCH of them running straight for us. As they got to our site, some ran on one side, some ran on the other. They must have been frightened or something was chasing them...It looked like a scene out of Jurassic Park or something.

20131116_160119.jpg

Add "gator" to our list of critters for the trip.  He didn't seem any to frightened of our presence.  

20131118_163522.jpg

Susan caught this trophy black crappie one day.  I caught a couple monster catfish as well, but I'll spare you their ugliness.

20131119_131430.jpg

We did visit Magic Kingdom one day.   Nice to see the Christmas decorations. 

20131119_132137.jpg

We timed our visit just right as they were just starting a show in front of the castle featuring all the characters.  Man...the pointsettias were beautiful.

20131119_134525.jpg

Why take a photo of the treats in the display case?  Why not?!  I wanted one of each. Or several. Of each.   Little works of art for sure.

20131119_202233.jpg

Amazing.  Just amazing.  Hard to look away.

20131119_220247.jpg

A little lunch the next day.     Amazing how all things become Disney-fied at this place.    :laugh:

20131122_094816.jpg

They were just starting to put up the Christmas decorations at the Fort during our visit.   I kinda like the contrast of a Christmas tree in the background with tropical flowers in the foreground.   ::)

20131122_094844.jpg

20131122_094917.jpg

20131122_131645-TWINKLE.gif

We love the decorations at Wilderness Lodge too.  What a tree!

20131122_131546.jpg

More from Wilderness Lodge

20131123_163725.jpg

I took a long walk the day before we left.   Found the meadow area so serene and quiet. Couldn't resist taking a few snapshots.

20131123_163815.jpg

20131121_141745.jpg

I have a pic of myself in this exact position from 1974 I posted previously. I'll try to locate it again and post it with this one.  

Till next time, I have to sign off now.  More later!!!

-Mike

OK, I found it!    

Florida+Mom+Dad+Mike.jpg

20131121_141745.jpg

Then...and now.   Note that the t-shirt still fits.    :laugh:

Lost my Dad in March, and my Mom 11 years ago. They first took us to the park in 1974, and several times after that.  Great memories!

I'm on a trek to find out where the huge log in the first picture came from, and where it ended up.   FW staff took me back to a service area to show me what they thought was the original log, but as it turns out the they took me too is the one that replaced the one in the pic above.   The one they still have is actually made out of concrete. The one I'm in front of in 1974 was real.   But here's the mystery....where would have a log that big come from? Not Florida.  My theory is that it came from California, perhaps sort of a monument to the first Disney park there.       If anyone has any info, I'd love to hear!

Love the report Mike!  

Soup Mickey is a classic!  And the WL animation on the lights is cool.  But nothing tops the before and after pics.  Same shirt even.  Your hypothesis on the log is interesting.  I hope someone comes along who knows where the original went.  My first thought was the one back in the service area, but you're right it is not the same.  I wonder if the original rotted like the lawnmower tree eventually did and they chucked it back in a swamp somewhere.  That thing is so big I can't imagine it went far.  

I should thank Dave and Gwen for both helping me figure out how to (finally) post pics - so thanks to both of you!

We are headed "over the (Red) River and through the (Piney) woods to Grandmas house we go" later today, so we'll check in with you all next week.  Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to all.  

I should thank Dave and Gwen for both helping me figure out how to (finally) post pics - so thanks to both of you! We are headed "over the (Red) River and through the (Piney) woods to Grandmas house we go" later today, so we'll check in with you all next week.  Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to all.

That sounds like east Texas. Be safe.

Excellent!

Your photos are great!

I love the then and now comparison in front of the Reception Outpost.

That big log slice has always intrigued me too.  I posted some photos a while back showing it in a previous location when the check-in area was located at a different location.  From what I understand, the current check in lanes and the two story building in the middle were not completed and put in action until 1974, so that log slice had just been moved to that location some time before your 1974 photo.

TCD