Disney Marathon Weekend -- The Fort and LOTS of Running Fun

Hello All!

DramaMama and I, along with the two Shakespearelets, are heading off to Fort Wilderness today for a weekend of camping and lots of running!  I will be running the Goofy Challenge (the half marathon on Saturday followed by the marathon on Sunday) while my sons will be running the Mickey Mile on Saturday.

We are thrilled to be renting a camper this time.  We're in the market for a new pop-up, so we're going to enjoy trying out a newer camper to decide what we want in our new toy.

So, if you'd like to come along for the run, hop aboard!  You may really get to SEE what it's like this time.  I will be running with a small video camera attached to my hat this year.  It should make for some interesting pictures!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I googled "couch to 5k" and I found a plan I'm going to try. Thanks. Ed.

You know, the more I think about it, I think more people need to know Ed's background and the whole story here.   This is a man with serious, serious medical issues, but he still trained for and compl

Short update - Thrill/Olaf will chime in shortly.  We had a great trip but returned home with loads of work to catch up on and colds we caught from his dad.  I was able to see him during the half and

As appealing as it sounds Andy, me watching thousands of crazies, plus the people they dragged along to watch them being crazy, is not in the cards.

I needed an excuse, so I opted to have all my teeth pulled. It's less painful.

I unwarily worked it one year, never ever again.

I hate that WDW has these, and that normal guests, and bus drivers, have to put up with it. I'm staying as far away from WDW as I can.

More fodder for Team Fort Fiends! I am doing the Dopey ... in a racing chair. We need to have one of the graphically talented design a Team Fort Fiends shirt. I like the idea of Snarky running like the Roadrunner.

Isn't what you have called a Handcycle?

Is that in a class by itself, or does it compete with conventional looking Racing Chairs?

I saw it yesterday at your site, that electric motor you added will not pass inspection though.

Sounds great.

I'm in.

I've seen a few folks wearing cameras on their heads lately.  I haven't seen what kind of images come out of those things.  Now I will.

TCD

A lot of people are into the GoPro cameras.  Those are nice and have a decent picture quality, but they are a bit heavier (and much more expensive) than I would like.  I am running with a Looxcie camera.  It's about the size of a Bluetooth headset.  The picture quality is fair, much improved if you keep the camera still.  I find the video too jerky to be useable for much, but I am able to pull decent stills out of it.  This is great for me since I never take time to snap pictures during a marathon.

As appealing as it sounds Andy, me watching thousands of crazies, plus the people they dragged along to watch them being crazy, is not in the cards.

I needed an excuse, so I opted to have all my teeth pulled. It's less painful.

I unwarily worked it one year, never ever again.

I hate that WDW has these, and that normal guests, and bus drivers, have to put up with it. I'm staying as far away from WDW as I can.

Darn.  I thought I might have talked you into at least tolerating the silly thing. :laugh:   However, we might have goodies at our campsite for those who are willing to brave it out...

More fodder for Team Fort Fiends! I am doing the Dopey ... in a racing chair. We need to have one of the graphically talented design a Team Fort Fiends shirt. I like the idea of Snarky running like the Roadrunner.

Sounds good to me.  I am actually running the marathon dressed as Olaf the Snowman from Frozen.  I'll post pictures later.  I made the costume myself out of running clothes and various accessories.  It actually looks rather nice.  One of the advantages of being a theatre director -- I can make costumes when needed.

I saw it yesterday at your site, that electric motor you added will not pass inspection though.

Sweet!  I want a lift.

DramaMama and I, along with the two Shakespearelets, are heading off to Fort Wilderness today for a weekend of camping and lots of running!  I will be running the Goofy Challenge (the half marathon on Saturday followed by the marathon on Sunday) while my sons will be running the Mickey Mile on Saturday.

The only running DramaMama will be doing is chasing all these crazy boys around!  .....Trust me, it will be enough of a workout!

Darn.  I thought I might have talked you into at least tolerating the silly thing. 

I'm 66 years old Andy, there isn't enough talk to convince me.

However, we might have goodies at our campsite for those who are willing to brave it out...

That changes everything. Why didn't you say that in the first place? I'll do it.

No, not the silly marathon, the goodies.

Is that in a class by itself, or does it compete with conventional looking Racing Chairs?

Sweet!  I want a lift.

Yes, it's a handcycle. They race with pushrim chairs. Some races put them in their own category. Don't let Lou fool you, there is no motor other than my arms and chest muscles.

I'm 66 years old Andy, there isn't enough talk to convince me.

That changes everything. Why didn't you say that in the first place? I'll do it.

No, not the silly marathon, the goodies.

By goodies, Lou means Apple Pie.

[/Electric motor, I think it should be a v-8 gas motorquote]

We have gone several times for the DWs birthday not realizing its marathon weekend.  Had a trip planed for this weekend but we are going to put it off until next week.  It's obvious Disney makes money on these things or they wouldn't do it.  I just wish there was a less obtrusive way for them to handle it.  We are going to call off and postpone ourselves right out of our APs.