Least crowded time to visit The Fort and WDW

Welcome!

There are sites that focus on crowd predictions.  One of these is http://www.easywdw.com/

I'm not a big believer in those crowd calendars, but others swear by them.

Predicting when WDW will be less busy is kind of common sense- the less busy times are when it is unlikely that there will be school vacations.  So, right after Thanksgiving week, and the first couple of weeks of December are not as busy a time.

Also, the middle to late September is a slow time.

The summer is always busy.  March and April are busy too, as schools have different spring breaks.  May is a slower time.

You have to watch it though.  You might think right after New Year's isn't going to busy, but they sometimes schedule special events like marathons then, and the parks will be full.

TCD

Thanks for your info!!  I was looking at their 2014 calendar that shows selected dates that are discounted and the last 2 weeks of August appear to be "Value" weeks.  We may go then since our kids will still be on summer vacation.  I recently spoke with a co-worker of mine who said he is a former cast member and his experience was that Oct 31 thru early December is not very crowded.  I'd love to check that out without the kids In tow but don't think this is the year for that.

Thanks for your info!!  I was looking at their 2014 calendar that shows selected dates that are discounted and the last 2 weeks of August appear to be "Value" weeks.  We may go then since our kids will still be on summer vacation.  I recently spoke with a co-worker of mine who said he is a former cast member and his experience was that Oct 31 thru early December is not very crowded.  I'd love to check that out without the kids In tow but don't think this is the year for that.

Ahhh, the old "CM Friend".

The only thing worse than a current CM is someone who used to be a CM.

TCDs advice is good. Anywhere around a major holiday (Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc) avoid WDW. Everyone is out of school and work and come to WDW. Summer time is crowded because everyone saves vacation time for the summer when the kiddos are out of school.

Right after a major holiday is the best. Everyone has to leave and go back to work. So the parks are dead.

New Years the MK was closed due to capacity, Jan 2, space mountain had a 20 min wait (and for Space Mountain that's amazing. We had EMH and there were maybe 1000 people in the park. If I could share actual attendance numbers, you would be amazed at the difference a day can make. But I cant, so you will just have to take our words for it.

I have not been in a few years.  Was hoping I was going to rectify that next week, but sadly that will not be happening.

But, I can tell you when we went it was the full week in January.  The crowd levels were extremely low.  However sometimes at that time the weather at that time has been pleasant and warm and other times downright freezing.  There also seem to be many refurbishments going on at that time.  I guess you just have to weigh everything pros and cons and see what is best for your family.

I have not been in a few years.  Was hoping I was going to rectify that next week, but sadly that will not be happening.

But, I can tell you when we went it was the full week in January.  The crowd levels were extremely low.  However sometimes at that time the weather at that time has been pleasant and warm and other times downright freezing.  There also seem to be many refurbishments going on at that time.  I guess you just have to weigh everything pros and cons and see what is best for your family.

They refurbish everything during the slow times. So its a double edged sword I guess.

First of all, welcome.

I find a good rule of thumb is... If the kids are in school it's a slower time at Disney.

Also, if Disney is running specials on rooms it's typically a slower time.

January and February are usually slow but make sure it's not marathon weekend.

March and April. Not so much with spring break.

May, crowds are usually lighter.

Summer busy.

The fall time can be slow at times but there is the food and wine festival and Mickey's not so scary Halloween party.

I've never been between thanksgiving and Christmas but I've heard that time is a good time to go.

These are just based on my limited experience.

But if you do a little research you should be able to find a time that the crowds will be lite.

Good luck and again welcome.

They refurbish everything during the slow times. So its a double edged sword I guess.

This is a good point.

When it's slower, the parks close earlier, and, in my opinion, transportation takes longer because they have fewer buses and boats out.

Also, during slow times, some of the restaurants in the parks don't open (like Tortuga Tavern in the MK for example).

So, going during a slower time is not necessarily all that it's cracked up to be.

TCD

...his experience was that Oct 31 thru early December is not very crowded.

...I've never been between thanksgiving and Christmas but I've heard that time is a good time to go.

We've gone between mid-October and early December the past 9 years.

The first couple of weeks of December used to be a GREAT time to go crowd-wise, but thanks to the word getting out (shakes fist at Travel Channel and Samantha Brown!) that hasn't been the case for quite a few years now.

Crowds are still better than Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks (by far) and it's still a great time to enjoy the holiday decorations and festivities, but the relatively low crowds that used to be the norm during this time aren't any more.

In our recent experience, the first couple of weeks  of November (before Thanksgiving week) are pretty nice in terms of crowds.  We've managed to not wait more than 15-20 minutes for most rides during this time, sometimes less.  The down side is that we prefer evening hours in the parks and there generally aren't a lot of late nights during those weeks. The one exception to this will be Epcot on the weekends, if you're there while Food & Wine are still going on.  But those crowds don't seem to effect the other parks.

I think there are many ways to look at the best time. You said "least crowded" so that can be determined by crowd calendar. I also like to look at who the crowds are. My son went in April with his entire 8th grade and said there were lots of school groups (teenagers) there. That is a particular type of crowd. We went at Thanksgiving and it was crowded, but the fourth Thursday of November is only a holiday in the United States so that had an impact on the type of crowd.  As others have said, you also have to balance in park hours (if you like to sleep late and the parks close early), ride refurbishments and weather and determine what is most desirable for you. 

To answer your original post, though, one year our kids didn't start school until early Sept because of construction so we went the last week of August and it wasn't too crowded. A lot of schools start in mid-August, especially in the South.

I think there are many ways to look at the best time. You said "least crowded" so that can be determined by crowd calendar. I also like to look at who the crowds are. My son went in April with his entire 8th grade and said there were lots of school groups (teenagers) there. That is a particular type of crowd. We went at Thanksgiving and it was crowded, but the fourth Thursday of November is only a holiday in the United States so that had an impact on the type of crowd.  As others have said, you also have to balance in park hours (if you like to sleep late and the parks close early), ride refurbishments and weather and determine what is most desirable for you. 

To answer your original post, though, one year our kids didn't start school until early Sept because of construction so we went the last week of August and it wasn't too crowded. A lot of schools start in mid-August, especially in the South.

--------------------------------

Southern schools do go back the second or third week of August, teachers and support go back a week earlier. But they get out about the third week of May to the beginning of June.

Northern schools go back after Labor Day, but don't get out until mid June.

Weekends are usually crowded at the Fort and the parks due to locals showing up

• 4 weeks later...

We have gone the first week in october and it was moderately crowded but I love the fort with all of the decor for Halloween. We have gone the week after thanksgiving twice but we have actually had it be pretty crowded so we decided to try September this year based off the calendar saying it was the least crowded week all year and it was full of Brazilians! Very crowded on most the days with it being the "least" crowded. Definitely not worth the heat with the crowd level. The fort was dead but found that we really missed all the holiday site decorations so we went Thanksgiving week without the kids and it was the expected super crowds but found that the way to do the parks are early in the morning and we love the fort Christmas decorations. We are heading to the Fort the first week of May since we have never gone in the spring or the flower and garden show and planning to go in October for fall break. I use to plan around the calendars but now after going so many times have found that Disney knows how to get the crowds so weather and decorations are now when we like to go.