Okay... think we've found our trailer...now the truck...

We're doing a final inspection on a hybrid this weekend; praying all goes well as I think we've finally found something that's a really good fit for our family. :)

Now, it's onto a tow vehicle.  As the trailer is light (under 4000 lbs), we've decided to look at an SUV.  We think the space will work best for us.  We are considering the following (any input from my fiends, would be warmly appreciated) all used with 75K-125K miles:

Nissan Armada

Lincoln Navigator

Chevy Tahoe

Infiniti QX56

My favorite is the Armada (I like the style and size), but Tom has found several decently priced Navigators so...

Question that I have, is the hitch and drive.  A requirement for the vehicle we purchase, is the tow package and hitch however (warning: newbie question), I think we have to have the ball mount and hitch ball installed.  Is this correct?  And, if so, is there one that is better than the other?  Our driveway is very steep and in order to park the trailer, we will have to drive it in at a sharp angle... in case that means anything when buying the mount/ball.  Also, is AWD important?  We live in Georgia, so (typically) not a lot of snow...but the idea of rear wheel drive only, does make me a bit nervous.

Thoughts??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the vehicles mentioned I wouldn't hook a golf cart to. It's been discussed many times how you can have a vehicle that says it can do xy and z but in reality it's all bs. Most SUVs have a short

AWD is not really important, on our trucks for towing I usually order a 2wd truck more towing capacity and less on the insurance. The hitch set up I would try not to get a set up that might be low as it might drag when you use the driveway. You will still need a weight distribution set up so there again see how low the bars are, confused yet? If so others will be along to help you understand, just remember learn a little at a time so you don't forget.

Are you buying from a private individual or a dealer, maybe they will include what you need.

My two cents.

AWD agree with rennie. Save your money. Don't buy it.

Vehicles. Infinity. Great car. But I've never owned one.

Nissan. Had a small Nissan pick up. Loved it but only pulled a jet ski with it.

I'm not a ford or a Chevy guy. I'm a which vehicle have I had the best luck with. The navigator is basically a ford and I sold my last ford pick up years ago and bought a Chevy. Now I don't tow TT hundreds of miles at a time but I have towed many a boat, construction trailers, farm equipment, and round bales. I feel Chevy makes a better overall vehicle for towing. I would go with the Tahoe or a GMC Yukon. Yukon is trimmed out a little nicer than the Tahoe but the motor and transmission are the same.

Tow package. With a "tow/haul" button is what I would recommend. It will have a 2" receiver

Hitch already installed from the factory. If it doesn't have the draw bar with a 2" ball on it you can pick one up at Walmart for about $20-$25.

Your Hybrid should use a 2" ball. Just ask the person your buying it from.

Also a draw bar comes in different drops, this the amount of distance the ball sits in relation to the hitch. 2" drop is real common. The drop will also allow you to tow the TT more level.

If your not familiar with setting up a hitch with a trailer and don't have someone who is. I would recommend going to a hitch shop, like a U-Haul place that installs hitches. It's not rocket science but a bad set up can make towing more difficult and in some cases unsafe.

We're doing a final inspection on a hybrid this weekend; praying all goes well as I think we've finally found something that's a really good fit for our family. :)

Now, it's onto a tow vehicle.  As the trailer is light (under 4000 lbs), we've decided to look at an SUV.  We think the space will work best for us.  We are considering the following (any input from my fiends, would be warmly appreciated) all used with 75K-125K miles:

Nissan Armada

Lincoln Navigator

Chevy Tahoe

Infiniti QX56

My favorite is the Armada (I like the style and size), but Tom has found several decently priced Navigators so...

First, understand that when it comes to towing not all vehicles of a particular make and model are the same.  Towing capacities of vehicles are based on several factors including the vehicle frame type (unibody or frame), engine, transmission, rear end gear ratio, tires/load range, engine cooling capacity, transmission cooling capacity, alternator capacity as well as several other things. So, you can't just go to the lot and see an Armada you like and say - "That's the one".

Not sure what year vehicles you are looking at, so I'll use 2014 as and example of tow ratings (from Trailer Life).  The ranges I show will be for that vehicle make/model.

Tahoe 5,200 - 8,500

Navigator 6,000 - 9,000

Armada 8,200 - 9,000

QX56 (2013) 8,500

So, you have to look carefully at any Tahoe you may like to determine it's exact capacity while most of the others even at their low end will tow a 4,000 load.  I suggest that you research the towing aspects (it is a confusing subject) to make sure you don't make a mistake.  The Trailer Life Towing Guides are a wonderful starting point.  Read the stuff at the end as it talks about hitch systems, brake controllers and the like.

I'm a believer that you can never have too much tow vehicle (I bought a diesel pick up to tow our pop up) so if I was making the choice I would be looking for an Armada or Navigator that has the 9,000 owing capacity. I'm sure you will find yourself in the same boat we did, wanting to trade up to a larger trailer.  It's nice to already have the truck.....

So, you have to look carefully at any Tahoe you may like to determine it's exact capacity while most of the others even at their low end will tow a 4,000 load.  I suggest that you research the towing aspects (it is a confusing subject) to make sure you don't make a mistake.  The Trailer Life Towing Guides are a wonderful starting point.  Read the stuff at the end as it talks about hitch systems, brake controllers and the like.

That's a really great reminder...thank you Tim.  We we definitely keep this in mind, when choosing the vehicle.

Tim is absolutely correct.

You can also just enter the vehicles V.I.N. on numerous websites and it will tell you more about the vehicle then you'll probably want.

But let me muddy the waters even more.

The numbers showing for a Tahoe for example probably include the hybrid Tahoe which has a low capacity. Our Yukon XL, 2004 with 5.3L.

V-8 has a max towing capacity of 8400 lbs. and if you buy a 2004 Yukon XL 4wd the capacity is 8200lbs. Confusing isn't it?

IMHO any of those vehicles should, key word should, work fine for towing your Hybrid.

If your also going to use this vehicle as your everyday driver I would find the one you like and then make sure it will work for your towing needs.

And has a good reputation, If it does great, if it doesn't buy something else.

Another thing that you should watch is the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle. There will be a sticker on the drivers door jamb that will say something like "the weight of all passengers and cargo should not exceed XXXXlbs". Without getting too deep into it, make sure the weight of your family plus the tongue weight of the trailer do not exceed that.

You may also want to look at the Ford Expedition as you will likely find one newer with less miles at the same price as the Lincoln Navigator.

Tahoes/Suburbans do a good job.  Look up Trailer Life's tow guides for the year vehicles you are considering to be sure what specs the vehicle needs to have for a specific tow rating.

Buy one that already has a factory tow package. Have a brake controller installed.

Equal-i-zer hitch is a good and easy to use weight distributing/sway control option.  

You may also want to look at the Ford Expedition as you will likely find one newer with less miles at the same price as the Lincoln Navigator.

Tahoes/Suburbans do a good job.  Look up Trailer Life's tow guides for the year vehicles you are considering to be sure what specs the vehicle needs to have for a specific tow rating.

Buy one that already has a factory tow package. Have a brake controller installed.

Equal-i-zer hitch is a good and easy to use weight distributing/sway control option.  

How do you know, if it is the "factory tow package"?  I'm guessing that's different, than if someone just installed a hitch (or is it called the receiver??)??

How do you know, if it is the "factory tow package"?  I'm guessing that's different, than if someone just installed a hitch (or is it called the receiver??)??

Well, you could run the vin and get a list of factory options. Or check under the hood to see if a transmission cooler is installed in addition to the receiver hitch and 7-way plug.

Trans cooler will be located between transmission lines and radiator, if present.

Well, you could run the vin and get a list of factory options. Or check under the hood to see if a transmission cooler is installed in addition to the receiver hitch and 7-way plug.

Trans cooler will be located between transmission lines and radiator, if present.

Thank you! :)

I don't know much about towing but FWIW, I love my 2011 QX56. It's really comfy for long rides.

Thanks!  Tom just found one online that he's really interested in... now if the snow/ice would just go away, maybe we could actually look a few vehicles! :)

Another thing that you should watch is the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle. There will be a sticker on the drivers door jamb that will say something like "the weight of all passengers and cargo should not exceed XXXXlbs". Without getting too deep into it, make sure the weight of your family plus the tongue weight of the trailer do not exceed that.

Yep, this is the number that gets exceeded long before others. Here's a page of mine on figuring it out:

http://www.learntorv.com/p/what-can-i-tow.html

Here's a calculator that I also have that helps you figure things out based on the sticker:

http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate

Yep, this is the number that gets exceeded long before others. Here's a page of mine on figuring it out:

http://www.learntorv.com/p/what-can-i-tow.html

Here's a calculator that I also have that helps you figure things out based on the sticker:

http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate

Love your blog!  Thank you!!  :waycool: