Okay... think we've found our trailer...now the truck...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the vehicles mentioned I wouldn't hook a golf cart to. It's been discussed many times how you can have a vehicle that says it can do xy and z but in reality it's all bs. Most SUVs have a short

Thanks! If there is anything that I can write about that you would find useful, please let me know!

Haha...for this newbie, you may be asking for more than you bargained for :)   Your blog has a lot of good information so with that, and an RV book we're going to purchase, plus the great fiends here...hopefully I won't have to ask too much of you.  Thanks again!! 

LOL, the first articles I wrote for my sister. Her and her ex-husband were long time seasonal campers. He took care of everything and when she wanted to keep camping after they split and she got a really old camper for free- I started writing things to help her and her boyfriend.

I'll often times take things from forums that seem like common questions and try to write a page about them. For instance, on Monday a "hybrid vs. not hybrid" post goes up from another forum. :)

I just got a 2013 Dodge 2500 crew can. It has the 342 rear end which is nice for when I'm empty. Averaging 21.2 mpg. Pulls really nice and has built in tow mirrors.

So no more lookout for the red Chevy anymore? What color is the new truck? 21 days til our week long trip

I just got a 2013 Dodge 2500 crew can. It has the 342 rear end which is nice for when I'm empty. Averaging 21.2 mpg. Pulls really nice and has built in tow mirrors.

Well that beats my f350 I average 16 in town and 18 to 20 on the highway depending on speed.

Well that beats my f350 I average 16 in town and 18 to 20 on the highway depending on speed.

You guys both have me beat black and blue. 13-14 highway and 12 around town. 8-11 towing my 14,500 pound fifth wheel.

You guys both have me beat black and blue. 13-14 highway and 12 around town. 8-11 towing my 14,500 pound fifth wheel.

13 and 14 ram diesels mpg have gone up a lot due to now they use def.

It's the gearing - they're 4.10 gears and it's a 4x4. It all adds up and ends up with crappy mileage. But hey- it's a towing machine!

So no more lookout for the red Chevy anymore? What color is the new truck? 21 days til our week long trip

Dave I still drive the red truck more than my new one. 391k miles. I was just worried if the red truck ever have out I'm gonna be at somebody's mercy. I looked for a while and found a good deal on this truck. They wanted $52k to replace my truck with what I have now. It was hard after 8 new Chevys but I'm not paying that.

We have a 05 Ford F350 dually 2wd crew cab, solo between 14-16 in town, open highway 20-21 and towing a 39'3 slide 5thwheel, back roads 8-9, highway at no more then 65mph we average 12=13.

Wow....I'm surprised on the gas mileage of some of these truck... much better than I though.  Now, if I just wanted to drive a truck  ???

Don't discount a truck they are as nice if not nicer then some cars now a day

I agree there... I guess I'm just more girlie, girlie than I thought and a truck seems so... rough.  Plus, we have little ones so the space of a trunk area (SUV) is really needed... that and a 3rd row.

I agree there... I guess I'm just more girlie, girlie than I thought and a truck seems so... rough.  Plus, we have little ones so the space of a trunk area (SUV) is really needed... that and a 3rd row.

When we had travel trailers we always used a Suburban to tow with, in fact we had a total of 3 of them, always felt they were the best, then along came the truck that's when we decided on a 5th wheel now there is no going back, just a bigger truck. Good luck in your search.

Dave I still drive the red truck more than my new one. 391k miles. I was just worried if the red truck ever have out I'm gonna be at somebody's mercy. I looked for a while and found a good deal on this truck. They wanted $52k to replace my truck with what I have now. It was hard after 8 new Chevys but I'm not paying that.

Tell me about it. After the fiasco last January buying the lifted GMC that couldn't pull squat, the 2500 diesel we have now set me back many years of savings. But besides not being a true double cab, it has met all our needs and more. Hopefully I'll see you in a few weeks. We need to catch up

When we bought our truck, we were expecting our son (hoping for a velociraptor, but ended up with the boy). I was also commuting regularly and the truck was to be my wife's daily driver. We got a hard rolltop cover to turn the bed into a trunk. We also tied in the tailgate lock to the automatic power locks so that it automatically locks and unlocks. And finally installed an EZ Assist lowering mechanism- you can literally open it and let go and it slowly descends to be fully open.

The third row is the kicker. In the crew cab, the truck has more room and is nicer than my car BY FAR. But, a third row would require something like a Cowtown Sleeper. It can be done, just isn't stock.

But, we can pull just about anything that I want. :D And it's a beautiful truck to boot!

Some of the vehicles mentioned I wouldn't hook a golf cart to. It's been discussed many times how you can have a vehicle that says it can do xy and z but in reality it's all bs. Most SUVs have a short wheel base and when you put a trailer behind them it lifts the front end which imo takes the integrity of the front end and changes it. Ive told the story many times about a person who pulled a horse trailer with a 4 Runner and wrecked because a semi sucked them in on the interstate then pushed them away after passing. If you're gonna play the game of I want to pull a camper but I want the comfort and mileage too you can't always have it both ways. I see people all the time in SUVs pulling trailers and I'm like holy $h!t get by them fast. When you get up in that 6-7k range I'd think twice before pulling with less than a 3/4 ton. Once again jmho.

Some of the vehicles mentioned I wouldn't hook a golf cart to. It's been discussed many times how you can have a vehicle that says it can do xy and z but in reality it's all bs. Most SUVs have a short wheel base and when you put a trailer behind them it lifts the front end which imo takes the integrity of the front end and changes it. Ive told the story many times about a person who pulled a horse trailer with a 4 Runner and wrecked because a semi sucked them in on the interstate then pushed them away after passing. If you're gonna play the game of I want to pull a camper but I want the comfort and mileage too you can't always have it both ways. I see people all the time in SUVs pulling trailers and I'm like holy $h!t get by them fast. When you get up in that 6-7k range I'd think twice before pulling with less than a 3/4 ton. Once again jmho.

I can understand that...which is why we purchased a hybrid that weights less than 3800lbs.  Also why I like the Armada or QX56 as both of those SUV feel (to me) like I'm driving a truck... but they are prettier and have the 3rd seat. :)

I get excited when the Lie-O-Meter in my truck shows over 13MPG empty, and haven't towed any distance yet with this one to know what it will get then. I just keep telling myself "I didn't buy this to get good fuel mileage" I seem to say that a lot as I'm pumping $120 worth of fuel into it every couple weeks.