quote: "Camping will take place in February, from Friday the 15th through Monday the 18th. There is no school on Monday the 18th."

(that's cause there is no Monday the 18th)

Maybe they got Disney to spring for providing them with their very own special Monday.  8)

We need Fiends to crash this.... come on.... someone.... walk in and act like you didn't know it wasn't for everyone.

We went looping through 1600 when the church group was there in October.  They were eating - which meant people were literally sprawled out all over the loop on picnic tables, folding tables, and some just lined up their chairs along the road and were eating in their laps.  They had one site setup for food prep.  I'm pretty sure we could have walked right on in and grabbed a plate.  :)

I saw them there last year.  Took the photo below on 2/18/13 somewhere on the back side of 1500 - TCD probably knows exactly which site this is because of the gate.  We were on our way out, and drove by and I noticed the catering truck loading stuff up.  Couldn't get a photo of it but took this one of one of the sites, which appears to be one of the "community" ones.  

By then the group was gone.  It intrigued me because all I could think was, how were they able to do this when I tried unsuccessfully to book half a dozen Scout families on 1800 months earlier?  Made me mad that some are allowed while others are not.  As I now know this is typical inconsistent rules/policies being enforced or followed by Fort mgmt.

DSC01642.jpg

By then the group was gone. It intrigued me because all I could think was, how were they able to do this when I tried unsuccessfully to book half a dozen Scout families on 1800 months earlier? Made me mad that some are allowed while others are not. As I now know this is typical inconsistent rules/policies being enforced or followed by Fort mgmt.

I think you just got the wrong person to talk to. They allow groups all the time, scouts, schools, churches and others. It happens just about every weekend. We've seen it over the last 4 years that we've wintered here. If I remember correctly the WW even had 4 sites or more together a couple years ago in 1700.

Phew! Am I glad WWW got moved to MLK weekend instead of President's Day weekend as originally planned.

I think you are right.  This was for the 2013 weekend.  I guess it was a hit, cause they're doing it again this year. 

Actually, the WWW were there that weekend in 2013.  I didn't notice any hoopla over the weekend, at least from non-WW.  But maybe I was distracted.

I think you just got the wrong person to talk to. They allow groups all the time, scouts, schools, churches and others. It happens just about every weekend. We've seen it over the last 4 years that we've wintered here. If I remember correctly the WW even had 4 sites or more together a couple years ago in 1700.

Apparently, I did.

I was dealing with the group reservations dept. and spoke with 2 or 3 different people.  We were trying to get into a FHU loop rather than the group area because half of our pack used RV's when going to Disney.  Even after I realized the people I was talking to didn't know anything about the Fort or what I needed and tried to go back to a CM on the regular reservations line, as soon as I said "group" they passed me off to the other dept.

After about 6 weeks of frustrating phone calls, I gave up.  It was truly infuriating, since I knew darn well there were that many sites available (it was for a non-holiday Nov. weekend between Halloween and Thanksgiving), and that they could have at least gotten us in the same loop, if not consecutive sites.  They kept trying to steer me toward the group camping area despite the fact I told them many of us had RV's that needed hook ups.

Apparently, I did.

I was dealing with the group reservations dept. and spoke with 2 or 3 different people.  We were trying to get into a FHU loop rather than the group area because half of our pack used RV's when going to Disney.  Even after I realized the people I was talking to didn't know anything about the Fort or what I needed and tried to go back to a CM on the regular reservations line, as soon as I said "group" they passed me off to the other dept.

After about 6 weeks of frustrating phone calls, I gave up.  It was truly infuriating, since I knew darn well there were that many sites available (it was for a non-holiday Nov. weekend between Halloween and Thanksgiving), and that they could have at least gotten us in the same loop, if not consecutive sites.  They kept trying to steer me toward the group camping area despite the fact I told them many of us had RV's that needed hook ups.

Easy way to do this, call or email Jason!!! If you know how many sites you want, and book them.  What you will need, the name of one adult for each site you want to book, and 1 night deposits for each site you will book. Add your name as a 2nd person on every additional site that you are not primary.  Then organize your folks, keep lists of who might be on each site, collect the rest of the money.  Give Jason your loop request. Then right before the time to order Magic Bands, add every person's name to the correct reservation. Then the primary adult on each reservation will have to set up a MDE account for that reservation and order Magic Bands. Then about 5-days before your reservation, fax in requests with all of the reservation numbers on it.

The Magic Bands, actually make this a little more difficult, because each primary adult has to set up an MDE account, before, that was not necessary.

To simplify checkin, send Jason the remaining money just before arrival.

Easy way to do this, call or email Jason!!! If you know how many sites you want, and book them.  What you will need, the name of one adult for each site you want to book, and 1 night deposits for each site you will book. Add your name as a 2nd person on every additional site that you are not primary.  Then organize your folks, keep lists of who might be on each site, collect the rest of the money.  Give Jason your loop request. Then right before the time to order Magic Bands, add every person's name to the correct reservation. Then the primary adult on each reservation will have to set up a MDE account for that reservation and order Magic Bands. Then about 5-days before your reservation, fax in requests with all of the reservation numbers on it.

The Magic Bands, actually make this a little more difficult, because each primary adult has to set up an MDE account, before, that was not necessary.

And if individuals want I can run gift cards or credit cards as form of payment and apply it to the individual site they will be on. Plus I link them all in the system with notes that you are traveling as a group and fax a few days before arrival with all the reservation numbers on one piece of paper requesting the loop, site, or just that your group be together if at all possible. 

Yes, I know this…..now.  At the time, I didn't know Jason and as a matter of fact, when I posted something here on FF about my frustrating experience a couple of years ago, he sent me a private message offering to help.  He was very professional and never pushy - probably how I never knew he was a TA.  But, by the time he offered I had already told our group it wasn't gonna work and we made plans to go elsewhere.  I will absolutely call on him for any future needs in that regard, as well as my own personal travel when I can't do it on my own.

After the alternate camping trip was complete, I removed myself from being one of the organizers for group events.  Even though it was a nice group of scouting families from our church, there were a handful who made the whole thing very, very difficult.  They were angry and rude to myself and the staff at the campground in GA where we stayed.  Right after the campout, I planned, organized and executed a combination Christmas party/ice skating party/awards ceremony at a local venue on a VERY tight budget, contributing  a lot of our own funds as well as preparing all of the food  myself.  Not only was it not well attended despite many RSVP's (people simply blew it off last minute), the ones who complained that we weren't doing anything for the holidays, which had prompted the event, didn't even show up.

So - to anyone who sees these groups at the Fort - know that someone went to a lot of trouble to organize and get them there.  If they appear to be well behaved as has been reported here, my hat is off to them.  Our beef is with the fort for allowing the groups to monopolize loops and amenities, not the groups themselves.

Back on topic. They had their own parade. And my observations so far, a very well behaved group. They are also in 1600 and have some tents along the canal.

How about a final report, Dave?

Did they actually have people camping along the canal?  Like with tents set up off of campsites?

I'm jealous of one thing- the weather this weekend was perfect for tent camping.

TCD

How about a final report, Dave?

Did they actually have people camping along the canal?  Like with tents set up off of campsites?

I'm jealous of one thing- the weather this weekend was perfect for tent camping.

TCD

Yes they did have the tents along the ridge off the sites and what we heard several times from CM's was "we have a group of 500". Whether it was that group or the gang in the "Group caming area" since it was also full, I don't know. Consequently they were more lenient about the number or cars per site since the overflow and the overflow overflow parking were full. But as I said earlier I cannot believe how well behaved everyone seemed to be this weekend at least the couple times I was up in 1600 abd going by 1500. Also we did not see the usual number of teens driving recklessly nor did we see any Gators or Mules or the mass congestion at the 3 way that usually occurs on the holiday weekends.

And you are absolutely correct it was a beautiful weekend.

Yes they did have the tents along the ridge off the sites and what we heard several times from CM's was "we have a group of 500". Whether it was that group or the gang in the "Group caming area" since it was also full, I don't know. Consequently they were more lenient about the number or cars per site since the overflow and the overflow overflow parking were full. But as I said earlier I cannot believe how well behaved everyone seemed to be this weekend at least the couple times I was up in 1600 abd going by 1500. Also we did not see the usual number of teens driving recklessly nor did we see any Gators or Mules or the mass congestion at the 3 way that usually occurs on the holiday weekends.

Sounds like it was a great weekend at the Fort!

As many of you know, when there are large groups like this many of them leave havoc behind. Well not this group. We looped through this morning after about 75% of them departed and again later in the day. The place looks great. No large piles of "junk" around the trash cans or any of the usual signs of large crowds. So I salute the people from Plato Academy, we'll done folks.

As many of you know, when there are large groups like this many of them leave havoc behind. Well not this group. We looped through this morning after about 75% of them departed and again later in the day. The place looks great. No large piles of "junk" around the trash cans or any of the usual signs of large crowds. So I salute the people from Plato Academy, we'll done folks.

Wonderful reports.   Nice to see others respecting The Fort :)