Good overnight between Birmingham and The fort?

Leaving from just south of Nashville, I like to stop in Ozark at the campground that is now a KOA.  But that would prob be too soon for you.  I would NOT recommend the KOA in Chattahoochee.  Maybe it's improved since we stayed there....but not so nice.  If you can make it to near where 10 hits 75, I've heard good things about the Stephen Foster center State Park, but it might be a bit out of your way.  

I'd be interested in anyone's experiences with the Jellystone Jen mentioned.

We've used it a couple times and very happy. Of course it's been during non-busy times, but the sites were nice, park was clean and the staff was friendly and it's right off of I-10.

Leaving from just south of Nashville, I like to stop in Ozark at the campground that is now a KOA.  But that would prob be too soon for you.  I would NOT recommend the KOA in Chattahoochee.  Maybe it's improved since we stayed there....but not so nice.  If you can make it to near where 10 hits 75, I've heard good things about the Stephen Foster center State Park, but it might be a bit out of your way.  

We have camped at Stephen Foster and it is a beautiful park with a very nice campground.  It is a little out of the way for someone on an I-10 to I-75 southbound journey as a night stop (north of 10/East of 75).  But, if this were a stop of a few days it would be perfect.

I don't know about stopping on the way down because we always stop at either Ozark or Pecan Point in Dothan. These would be too soon a stop for you unless you got a late start. On the way back the best stop for us is Deer Run on 231 just north of Troy.

We stayed overnight at the Jellystone once about 5 yrs ago but it was January and there were only 3 of us in the whole place.

Anyone stay at the tallahassee west KOA?

Yes, I think that is the same one I referred to in my post.  I wouldn't recommend the place, although to be fair we stopped there in late November a year or two after a hurricane went through there.  So it was kind of torn up, and we were almost the only people in the place.  That, and the abandoned jai alai facility across the street, made for a creepy night. 

We too are from the Birmingham area.  We like to overnight in Williston, Florida at a place called Williston Crossings.  It is in between Gainsville and Ocala.  It is a few minutes out of the way but well worth it.  From there it is only about a two hour drive to the Fort. 

We too are from the Birmingham area.  We like to overnight in Williston, Florida at a place called Williston Crossings.  It is in between Gainsville and Ocala.  It is a few minutes out of the way but well worth it.  From there it is only about a two hour drive to the Fort. 

Thanks for the info!!!! and WELCOME!!!!

We are driving from NW MS in April, I made reservations at Casey Jones RV Park in Lake City, FL for the way down. May be ambitious but I would like to make it that far. I have already briefed the family on the early wake-up, sleep in the truck. For the way back we are stopping at Deer Run in Troy, AL.

• 2 weeks later...

We've had a bit of trouble finding a place to overnight in northern Florida.  We finally found a really nice place in Milton, FL - Avalon Landing.  Newly graveled sites, new bath house, very large pull-throughs.  They have cable TV and wifi - and it worked!

We have also stayed in a KOA in east Tallahassee/Monticello, but this one had no cable TV, wifi only if you were close to the office, and the sites were all sand.  I would probably stay there again because it is convenient - right on the interstate.

White Springs, just north of Lake City, has Kelly's RV park with packed gravel/sand sites, nice bath house, but no cable TV and the wifi only works sometimes.  

We have also stayed at the Tallahassee West KOA.  The owners are really nice, and if you buy a pizza from them, they will deliver it to your RV.  BUT, I wouldn't recommend this place.  It is not kept up, the sites are VERY sandy (got sand all over the inside of the RV), and the bath house didn't look very nice, either.  We won't stay here again.

We have also stayed at the Chattahoochee/ West Tallahassee KOA twice.  First time we were on the way to Mobile from the Fort.  We hiooked up only to discover they had no power.  Bad storm just ahead of us.  We disconnected, drove on, and wound up in Mobile around 3:30 a.m.  Second time I was pulling out of a site and clipped a pine tree with the rear of the MH...$8000 fixed it.  they remind me of a minimlally improved campground, but would do in a pinch.  We usually stay at the Inn&Out RV Park in Lake City.  They used to have a lot of permanent parties near the front, but that's all changing, and all permanents should be gone.  It's a stop over place for a night's rest, but convenient to MANY fast food and resturants, WalMart, Lowes (or HD?), and with gas, propane, and a Subway store on site....next to a steak place.

I'm still not sure whether it is better to take US 27S east of Tallahassee or continue on to I-75. to go south of I-10.  I-10 looks to be further, but US 27 has several small towns along the otherwise 4-lane highway.

• 6 months later...

We are driving from NW MS in April, I made reservations at Casey Jones RV Park in Lake City, FL for the way down. May be ambitious but I would like to make it that far. I have already briefed the family on the early wake-up, sleep in the truck. For the way back we are stopping at Deer Run in Troy, AL.

Did you end up staying at Casey Jones RV?  We are considering a stop there on our way down... we don't need anything fancy as we're only planning to hook up power/water and then sleep.  Our goal is to find something that is just off the interstate with gas close by.

We usually stay at the Inn&Out RV Park in Lake City.  They used to have a lot of permanent parties near the front, but that's all changing, and all permanents should be gone.  It's a stop over place for a night's rest, but convenient to MANY fast food and resturants, WalMart, Lowes (or HD?), and with gas, propane, and a Subway store on site....next to a steak place.

Inn & Out is also a consideration...

• 2 weeks later...

For folks talking about Tallahassee, we stayed overnight at camping world. They have spots with electric and water that you can use overnight. It wasn't very level but we just put our heads on the high side and slept quite happily. :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good to know, thanks.  We went through that area in September on our way home and after stopping at the Cracker Barrel in Pennsacola, we drove through Tallahassee and stopped at a rest stop.  had we known the Camping World had spots like that, we may have given that a try.