A Tale Of Two Gatherings - Desoto 2014

Those iPod photos are awesome!

I wonder if all the parents knew their kids were climbing rocks barefoot?

TCD

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all knew.  I'm not one to over-parent.  The little ones, yes.  But by the time you're 14, if you want to climb rocks barefoot, go for it.  If you fall or slice your foot open, I'll call you a dumbass.  Maybe you'll learn not to do that.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice job on the selfies! Embarrassing our children is one of life's great pleasures.

The selfies are AMAZING... oh wait, the Troll is hiding these days.   Good job embarrassing the kids. It's important to do so in order to build character.

I was taking selfies. Those other people just kept getting in my way.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we all knew.  I'm not one to over-parent.  The little ones, yes.  But by the time you're 14, if you want to climb rocks barefoot, go for it.  If you fall or slice your foot open, I'll call you a dumbass.  Maybe you'll learn not to do that.  

That's how my parents did it.  We went to the emergency room a lot.

TCD

Sometime after breakfast, the DIT gang loaded up into the Mickey Van and headed to find a foreign Walmart.  We drove down the mountain into Ft Payne, and soon enough we learned 2 things about the town.  There are a LOT of sock stores in Ft Payne.  It turns out there used to be (or maybe still are?) sock factories there.  So there are sock stores, hosiery outlets, sock museums, etc.  The second thing we learned about Ft Payne, is that it is the home of Alabama.  Not the state....the band.  

What I hadn't realized is that Jaba had them all encased in Carbonite.  

20140315_114907.jpg

There you go.  Now you know some things about Ft Payne, AL that you maybe didn't know before.  

A couple miles past the Alabama statues, we found the Walmart.  We gassed up the van and bought our provisions, and just as quick as possible we headed back up the mountain.  

After lunch, INC took some of the rugrats to the playground.  I think this is when they all went into the camp store to get ice cream.  They had a chest full of ice cream bars, suckers, etc for $1, including tax.  It's not often anymore that kids can take a dollar and get ice cream.  

20140315_143450.jpg

20140315_143528.jpg

After a bit, I decided to walk down the hill from the campground to the playground and join them.  When Bob saw me heading that way he said to wait up cause he wanted to go too.  I think he was just missing him some INC.  

20140315_143542.jpg

Then it was time for me to join in the love.  

SELFIE ALERT!  

Bob sandwich.  

20140315_143613.jpg

20140315_143642.jpg

Other Fiends made their way to the playground too. 

20140315_145502.jpg

20140315_145513.jpg

We headed back up the hill, and it was time for Round #1 of the Russian / Ukrainian Battle of the Beers.  

Russia took the first skirmish.  

20140315_160454.jpg

And that's all the pics I have before the Saturday Pot Luck.  If anyone has any more Pre-Potluck photos to share, go ahead.  Then we'll move on to the POOD FORN!  

Love Jessica's pictures! Poor little Anna having to clean up from all the Fiendish fun!

As an aside, I met the group Alabama at the Waffle House off the Marianna Exit of I-10. I almost missed them because you just don't expect to see folks like that at the local Waffle House. I saw the bus that said  "ALABAMA" in huge writing, but I just figured it was a tourist bus from the state of Alabama! :)

It's great how the fiend kids seem to "best friends".

Barefoot is the only way to go when rock climbing. Heck I'm at an embassy suites in Memphis right now. Sitting in the bar waiting for the kids grilled chz sammiches and I'm barefoot.

You're in my state and I didn't know this?  Memphis is a hop, skip and jump from me.  Well, a 3 hour jump.  You coming any further east?

Potluck Time.  

All Fiends gathered at Yvonne's site at the designated time....which was sometime around Beer:30.  If you've never been to a Fiend GG, I would best describe it as a collection of crock pots, folding chairs, and hilarity.  

20140315_180408.jpg

20140315_180418.jpg

Some POOD FORN!!

I'm sure other folks have many more pictures....I was taking on my phone and don't have a bunch.

20140315_180440.jpg

20140315_180443.jpg

Dusk soon approached, which is one thing that makes March camping so different from later in the year.  I used my Boy Scout training (and the leftover cardboard from a new Auburn folding table) to get a campfire going.  

20140315_192222.jpg

20140315_192236.jpg

Then something amazing happened.  The fire exploded and leapt into the air, and a burning log suspended itself right over Yvonne's head!!

20140315_192247.jpg

Well, it was either that or I moved while snapping the pic.  

Also, at around this same time, someone noticed that Carol's shoe was catching on fire.  She quickly moved it, but the rubber sole was nice and soft.  Of course, much laughter burst out at Carol's brush with death.  Fiends do enjoy laughing in the face of death.  Unfortunately I have no pictures of Carol's smoking shoe.  

It was a beautiful but increasingly chilly evening.  Thankfully the rain held off all of Saturday and we had a great potluck.  But just as the weather app said....at around 2 AM we began to hear the pitter patter of raindrops on the trailer roof, and by 3 AM it was coming down in buckets.  But that was Sunday, and we need to hold up for others to post their Potluck pictures first.  

Looks like a great potluck.

What is that in the Dutch oven, and what are those things wrapped in bacon?:

20140315_180440.jpg

TCD

Well, I can answer these questions...

The dutch oven is my wife's specialty, a sliced potato dish with lots of sharp cheddar cheese and copious amounts of bacon....

The other is bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeno poppers.  Each made with 1/2 jalapeno pepper made for just the right amount of kick.  Yummy!!!  Sorry, but i can't remember who made them.

Well, I can answer these questions...

The dutch oven is my wife's specialty, a sliced potato dish with lots of sharp cheddar cheese and copious amounts of bacon....

The other is bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeno poppers.  Each made with 1/2 jalapeno pepper made for just the right amount of kick.  Yummy!!!  Sorry, but i can't remember who made them.

Oh, man, that sounds good!

Was that potato dish made on a fire?

I might need the recipe.

TCD