A Tale Of Two Gatherings - Desoto 2014

The First Annual (I hope) Desoto Grand Gathering took place this weekend at Desoto State Park in Alabama!  

Like other GG trip reports, hopefully this one can be a collaborative effort where we can all share our experiences and pics.  I know several pictures have already been shared on the GG thread, but I uploaded all my pictures and have 89 I think....so figured I'd start an actual TR thread to share them.  

So, what's with my title?  

This really felt like two separate gatherings to me...mainly because of the weather.  Friday and Saturday were spectacular days in northern Alabama.  Sunny and in the 60's.  Couldn't ask more much better.  Which was great as that is when we had the most attendees and when we hung out the most.  Then, at 2:07 am Sunday (per my clock), the rain started.  And boy, did it rain.  Ask poor Yvonne who was packing up her tent in the middle of it.  It was coming down in buckets.  And even though the heaviest rain ended sometime Sunday morning, the fog and mist persisted into Monday, and the temps cooled off.  Completely different camping experience.  But still good...as I'll get to later.  

So, I guess I'll back up to Friday and get started.  

The DIT girls are on spring break this week, so Friday was the infamous day before break.  Lots of kids skip to head to their beach vacations early.  Teachers don't plan much.  And our girls don't miss much school.  Plus, knowing that half of our county would be on the roads heading south that afternoon, we decided to just skip the entire day and get an early start.  We hit the road around 10:30.

The drive was STRESSFUL....very windy, especially heading over Monteagle, where we enjoyed a picnic of PB&J's.  But we made it safe and sound at the campground by mid-afternoon and were the 2nd Fiends to arrive.  Tim5055 had arrived early that morning.  

The campground had created a group for us to add our reservations to, and had blocked off some great sites all together (normally you make a reservation just for a type of site then select when you arrive).  We got to pick from that block of sites, and before long I had this in my hand.

1654247_707830332611291_1154095989_n.jpg

And this as my home.

20140314_153429.jpg

Coming up....our first hike, and more Fiends arrive.  

Feel free to add, Fiends.....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice job on the selfies! Embarrassing our children is one of life's great pleasures.

The selfies are AMAZING... oh wait, the Troll is hiding these days.   Good job embarrassing the kids. It's important to do so in order to build character.

I was taking selfies. Those other people just kept getting in my way.

It looks like page one is full, so I can continue with the report.  I always like to give everyone the opportunity to post on page one on trip reports....there are some people who hog page one which is just plain rude IMO.   :rofl3:

After getting set up at the site, we had our first Fiend encounter.  Tim came by with his little puppy dog Niko.  We chatted for a bit, then decided to head out on our first short hike to one of the trails closest to the campground.  We strapped Anna into the backpack and headed out, and before long our girls conquered their first waterfall in the name of Fiendom.  

20140314_165000.jpg

And they sat back to reflect on the day's accomplishments.  

20140314_165037.jpg

20140314_165039.jpg

Carol had mentioned our little white fluff ball earlier, named Foofy.  Here she is with INC. 

20140314_165101.jpg

SELFIE ALERT!  

20140314_165114.jpg

That one shows Anna in her pack.  I bet there aren't many 6 year olds who can ride in a backpack.   :rofl2:

SELFIE ALERT #2!!

20140314_165131.jpg

The selfies were mainly to embarrass my girls.  I kept taking them.  And they kept rolling their eyes.  

Man, I love embarrassing my kids.  Is that wrong?

Of course, they think they can fight back by making strange faces in my selfies.  But the joke is on them, because I don't get embarrassed easily, and will post pretty much anything.  

20140314_165142.jpg

And I have a long enough arm to get 7 people in one selfie!!

20140314_165209.jpg

20140314_165210.jpg

20140314_165214.jpg

I bet they didn't think I'd post those.  

Fools.  

Will they ever learn that their father has no shame?  

On with the Hiking Selfies!

20140314_165831.jpg

20140314_165843.jpg

Ok....I suppose that's enough with the selfies.  

For now.  

There will be more.  And you have been warned.  

When we got back, Leslie arrived to set up shop for one night.  And other Fiends began rolling in as well.  I will let some of them add their Friday recollections and pictures now.....