So fiends, we purchased a tow vehicle and are getting ready to tow our camper from the storage lot to our home.  Have to say... a little nervous about this.  I'm reading everything I can get my hands on and sending out requests to friends for prayer that we don't loose our trailer on 75!  Haha... not quite, but... well, almost.

Any words of wisdom before our maiden voyage?  Anything we should triple check and be extra careful of?  I know the camper has a weight distribution hitch and an anti sway bar.  I hooked up the brake controller and am praying that I did it right :)

So fiends, we purchased a tow vehicle and are getting ready to tow our camper from the storage lot to our home.  Have to say... a little nervous about this.  I'm reading everything I can get my hands on and sending out requests to friends for prayer that we don't loose our trailer on 75!  Haha... not quite, but... well, almost.

Any words of wisdom before our maiden voyage?  Anything we should triple check and be extra careful of?  I know the camper has a weight distribution hitch and an anti sway bar.  I hooked up the brake controller and am praying that I did it right :)

Just take it slow till you feel comfortable. That's how I handled it last fall when I started towing for the first time. 

Oh and Good Luck!

I always checked to make sure it was latched right on the ball, I would look from underneath to see if it was latched, now we have a 5th wheel and I look to make sure the hitch is wrapped around the pin. Also as Jason said just take your time and remember to swing corners wider as the trailer tracks inside your tow vehicle. Good luck and keep us posted.

If you don't have much experience driving large vehicles, practice in a large, empty parking lot.  Get a feel for how much room you need for taking corners (both left and right) or even turning around (you'll need to have a good idea when you get to gas stations).  When turning, pay attention to the back wheels of the trailer in your mirror so you get a feel of how deep / wide you have to take corners.

Speaking of gas stations, depending on how large of a trailer you got, find out exactly how tall you are and make sure you check for clearance at gas stations and lower bridges (a good idea is to simply write it down on a piece of tape and stick it on your dash, that way when you are driving, you don't need to think about it; if you see a sign that says " 10' 8"  " clearance, you just look down at your note rather than trying to remember how tall you are.

Speaking of gas stations, depending on how large of a trailer you got, find out exactly how tall you are and make sure you check for clearance at gas stations and lower bridges (a good idea is to simply write it down on a piece of tape and stick it on your dash, that way when you are driving, you don't need to think about it; if you see a sign that says " 10' 8"  " clearance, you just look down at your note rather than trying to remember how tall you are.

Great idea!

Will do this!  Thanks.

Back in is not that had but there is a steep learning curve for the 2 of you.

I suggest taking your time and worring that it takes you 28 times to get the trailer in the site even if it is completely angled.

Since you have a new TV, do you mirrors go wide enough?

The mirrors on the vehicle (I believe) are the standard ones that came with it... but I like them because they have the blinker on the mirror which could be helpful if I'm getting ready to pull into a lane where I missed a car in my blind spot (gives them a chance to, hopefully, honk!).  Having said that...after we've hooked the trailer up and have it close to our house, there is a large parking lot from a closed down furniture store nearby; we will drive circles in there and if the mirrors don't feel large enough, we'll add the trailer mirrors.

If you don't have much experience driving large vehicles, practice in a large, empty parking lot.  Get a feel for how much room you need for taking corners (both left and right) or even turning around (you'll need to have a good idea when you get to gas stations).  When turning, pay attention to the back wheels of the trailer in your mirror so you get a feel of how deep / wide you have to take corners.

Really good thought on the height... I have no idea how tall this thing is.  It's only a hybrid, so I can't imagine that it's super tall.  

Before you leave take a minute to double check connections. Check and make sure brake lights, turn signals, and running lights are working on the trailer. It would also be good to test the trailer brakes. If you can, let the vehicle idle forward and pull the emergency brake lever on the brake controller and see if the trailer brakes slow you down some.

Other than that, take it slow and easy. Sounds like you have a good plan to learn in the parking lot close to your home.

Before you leave take a minute to double check connections. Check and make sure brake lights, turn signals, and running lights are working on the trailer. It would also be good to test the trailer brakes. If you can, let the vehicle idle forward and pull the emergency brake lever on the brake controller and see if the trailer brakes slow you down some.

Other than that, take it slow and easy. Sounds like you have a good plan to learn in the parking lot close to your home.

Really, really helpful.  Thank you!!

What everyone else said and let me add this...check your tires. My trailer tires rot out before they wear out. Check for cracks on the tires. Check the tire pressure. I check the pressure every time I pull a trailer and every time I get gas. I just takes a minute but can save you hours. Under inflated tires get hot and can blow out.

What everyone else said and let me add this...check your tires. My trailer tires rot out before they wear out. Check for cracks on the tires. Check the tire pressure. I check the pressure every time I pull a trailer and every time I get gas. I just takes a minute but can save you hours. Under inflated tires get hot and can blow out.

Thanks Ray.  The previous owner had this camper for around 5 years I believe and had not replaced the tires.  They look okay...but I think you're suppose to replace camper trailers more so because of time and not conditions....does this sound right??

Thanks Ray.  The previous owner had this camper for around 5 years I believe and had not replaced the tires.  They look okay...but I think you're suppose to replace camper trailers more so because of time and not conditions....does this sound right??

YES!!!!!!!!!

I carry a infer red temperature gauge, and every time I stop for fuel or a rest stop the 1st thing I do is check the temp on all the tires and hubs, started this 2 years ago and they all always seem to be a degree or two apart. Not really sure how much this helps but gives me a little piece of mind on what is normal on my unit, others may vary. But always check your tires and air pressure and lug nuts.

Not sure proximity, but I would avoid 75 thru atl until you are more comfortable. The traffic and "other" drivers through there can test your patience.

Otherwise, just develop your own cadence. Good advice needs to be supplemented by lots of seat time.

Have fun!

If the camper is five years old the tires are probably at least six years old , I would plan on a new set. Talk to a tire dealer you trust and think about LT tires instead of ST tires

Five year old tires probably need to be replaced.

My trailers are utility, farm, or cattle trailers. I don't own an TT. I buy my tires from our Co-op. They always have trailer tires. Again I don't own a TT but the tires I buy are made for trailers. From my understanding they have stringer sidewalls then normal tires.

Not sure proximity, but I would avoid 75 thru atl until you are more comfortable. The traffic and "other" drivers through there can test your patience.

Otherwise, just develop your own cadence. Good advice needs to be supplemented by lots of seat time.

Have fun!

Yeah, we've lived in Atlanta for 11 years now.  Drivers are stupid (oh, did I say that out loud?).... I mean, crazy.

If the camper is five years old the tires are probably at least six years old , I would plan on a new set. Talk to a tire dealer you trust and think about LT tires instead of ST tires

Tires... do I go to a dealer, like Camping World?  We get our car tires replaced at Discount Tire, but I'm guessing they don't do TT.

If LT tires availabe in your weight rating, I would go with them over any ST tires.

While ST tires have stiffer sidewalls then LT, the ST construction is usualy cheeper.  The sidewall flex of LT tires help the trailer ride more smoothly then ST. Also, the sidewall flex of the LT tires makes for a nice easy visual check on tire pressure. LT tires are usualy rated for a higher speed then the 65 that ST are rated for. I personaly don't like running tires at  95% of their speed rating for hours on end.

I would look into your local tire shops or if you do your own homework, any of the discount clubs.

Yeah, we've lived in Atlanta for 11 years now.  Drivers are stupid (oh, did I say that out loud?).... I mean, crazy.

Tires... do I go to a dealer, like Camping World?  We get our car tires replaced at Discount Tire, but I'm guessing they don't do TT.

I like Discount Tire....and this may depend on the individual shop, but my local one does work on TT tires.