Brochure, Ticket, and Times Guide from 1987

Was going through some stuff in the basement and came across my ticket from spring break 1987, along with the brochure and times guide.  Snapped some photos with my phone (apologize for poor quality), no time to scan, etc.  I thought some of you might get a kick out of this, I did!

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3048.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3034.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

cacab61b-9a8d-4924-ae5e-38cfde9d78dc.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

I did not catch that area code thing…..I wonder if that was an old one or if they had their own?

I also do not recall "The Disney Inn"…I'm sure it has been discussed here before but I have not stumbled on that topic, yet.

And, I cannot believe I was there when 20,000 leagues was open and I didn't go on it.  I was there with a group of college students, we day tripped over on a bus from Daytona.  We were so preoccupied with riding Space Mountain as many times as we could, we didn't do much else.  Duh!

There's a lot of really cool details in there! 

First....in April 1997 a MK ticket was $26.  Adjusted for inflation, that's $53.74 today.  But they actually charge $95 to get into the MK today if I'm not mistaken.  

Also, on the MK map I notice that the speedway is still it's original length, as Mickey's birthday mistake wasn't built yet.  And no Splash yet.  

River Country is there by the Fort.  

Love the ad for Kodak film.  Those were mandatory in ever Disney brochure back in the day.  

I also love how they were re-releasing Sleeping Beauty in theatres.  We were still 2 years away from Disney Animation's renaissance with the 1989 release of The Little Mermaid.  

Cool stuff!

I was there in 1986 and 1988 so everything definitely looked familiar to me. I didn't realize that they did Tinkerbell's (or Bill's) flight back then. I never remember seeing it but who knows where I was for the fireworks.

Thanks for posting it, I wish I had saved more of my old stuff.

First....in April 1997 a MK ticket was $26.  Adjusted for inflation, that's $53.74 today.  But they actually charge $95 to get into the MK today if I'm not mistaken.

$54 for whatever MK had back then, but a lot has changed since then.

Is MK twice as good? Probably not, but the upgrades and expansion are worth something.

For the sake of argument, let's split the difference at $75, and say that's a fair price for a day at MK. Are the additional attractions, resorts, shopping, dining, entertainment, and recreational areas at WDW worth the additional $25?

Very cool find, Cyndee.

This is an interesting snapshot of WDW history.  There were still only two parks in 1987, and the Grand Floridian had yet to open.

I am amused at those who didn't recognize the 305 area code.  That was the original area code for the entire state of Florida, and was the WDW area code from opening until 1988, as Beckers noted.  When I moved to Florida in 1979, there were only three area codes for the entire state.  Now, I think there are 17.

Dave's observation about the Sleeping Beauty ad is interesting.  Back in those days, the Disney strategy would be to re-release the same movies to theaters after keeping them "in the vault" for a few years.  Note that the Aristocats was to be re-released after Sleeping Beauty.  As I remember it, Disney was late to the home video market.  Of course, they have since cashed in.

I also smiled at the ad for the Disney Channel.  Back then it was a premium channel that you had to subscribe to and pay for.  I like how they offer 19 hours of programming 7 days a week.

It's amazing to think about all that has been added to WDW since 1987, when the MK was celebrating its 15th birthday.  The changes that took place in the following 15 years eclipsed those that took place in the first 15.

TCD

$54 for whatever MK had back then, but a lot has changed since then.

Is MK twice as good? Probably not, but the upgrades and expansion are worth something.

For the sake of argument, let's split the difference at $75, and say that's a fair price for a day at MK. Are the additional attractions, resorts, shopping, dining, entertainment, and recreational areas at WDW worth the additional $25?

No.

Actually Dave, it was $26 in 1987, not 1997.  Was your inflation calculation from the earlier year & '97 is just a typo?  Still, the math doesn't justify today's gate price.  And, I was with a group - not sure if we got a better price or not - the ticket doesn't indicate so, but they may not have had many different types of tickets then.

I also loved the Kodak ad, that is why I included it.  I remember those well into the '90's, after I moved to FL and started going to the parks more.  I also remember learning my lesson about having extra rolls along with me after I had to buy one in the MK once.  Same thing with batteries later on with my first digital.

The Times Guide shows that the Upper Moreland HS band from Willow Grove, PA performed on April 16, 1987.  That is just minutes from where I now live.  But the really ironic thing is we were at dinner with a friend Sat. night and I knew he grew up in Willow Grove and asked him what high school he went to.  His answer:  Upper Moreland!  I'll have to ask him when he graduated.

TCD the cool fact you posted about the area codes supports what many have told me about FL and its' population growth.  As air conditioning became more commonplace and affordable, the state's population grew at a more rapid rate.

My husband moved to FL in the mid-80's when he was a middle school student.  The public library, his church and his school didn't have AC.