The whole system is still in a testing phase.

It does not work well when it's busy.

You only get 3 FP+ per day, and those all can only be used in one park.  The attractions at Epcot and Hollywood Studios are tiered, which means you get to pick just one good attraction, and two that never needed FP in the first place.

The ability to change things on the fly does not work well when it's busy.  Later in the day, there usually are no alternative times available.  If you have a FP+ for something good, and need to change the time, you will be invited to ride the Tea Cups, or Stitch, or something along those lines, as your alternate.

It works well if you're happy with having just three FP choices in one park for the day.  If you like to park hop and not to wait on long lines, then you might not be so happy with it in its current iteration.

They just announced that more tweaks are coming.  Some of the problems will hopefully be addressed.

TCD

TCD

When we were there at Christmas. We tried to change a FP+ and when we saw our options, I think it was the tea cups lol, we decided not to change but we lost our original rezzies. We were told that you can't "look" and see what's available.

Have they fixed that yet?

There have been all kinds of glitches.

Are you saying that just by looking at alternate choices you lost your original FP+ reservations?

That's never happened to us.  That must have been a glitch.  We have always been able to look, and not lose our original existing FP+ reservations.

Now, we have had stuff disappear for no reason, and sometimes it will reappear, and sometimes not.  The CM's at the kiosks can usually fix things when the app goes haywire, which happened at least once every day we've used it.

But, it's still in testing, so I'm not supposed to complain about that.

TCD

My advice when its busy and you don't think you'll be able to change your attractions/times, or won't want to, is to make your FP+ reservations for later in the day when you will be tired and won't want to stand in line. Get to the park early and ride what you can, have a restful lunch and then do your FP+. 

Gee, I was hoping someone would chime in with the standard Fiend response:

No.

In other news sounds like improvements are coming:

http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2014/04/fastpass_changes_coming_1.html

Sorry, didn't know you were looking for just a "no.'  But, if that's what you were looking for, then of course the whole FP+ fiasco isn't worth it. Supposedly, they spent over a billion dollars on it, and it doesn't significantly improve the old system that it replaced.

No need to go to another site to read that "news" about possible improvements.

Thanks to our Queen of Content, we heard it here first: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10332-mymagicfastpass-how-it-works-attractions-and-experiences/?p=350093

TCD

After a 7-day trip there last week, our family of five rode everything we wanted in all the parks using the FP+ without any waits longer than 15 mins. We utilized the Switch Passes they would give us because our youngest wasn't big enough to ride many of the rides, and our kids rode the PF+-reserved rides twice. I used the app on my phone to switch reservations around when wanted, and I never lost existing reservations by searching for new ones.

All in all, our experience was good. The parks were full but not crowded, so that may have helped. I wouldn't want to go in June or July, though.

I appreciated the FP+ system in November.  I sat at my computer each night and got FPs for the next day without having to run all over the parks.

That being said, FPs were available for only resort guests at that time.  Not sure how well the system will work this year since the system is open to virtually everyone.

After a 7-day trip there last week, our family of five rode everything we wanted in all the parks using the FP+ without any waits longer than 15 mins. We utilized the Switch Passes they would give us because our youngest wasn't big enough to ride many of the rides, and our kids rode the PF+-reserved rides twice. I used the app on my phone to switch reservations around when wanted, and I never lost existing reservations by searching for new ones.

All in all, our experience was good. The parks were full but not crowded, so that may have helped. I wouldn't want to go in June or July, though.

Glad it all worked for you.

This "switch pass" you're referring to is what they call the "rider switch service."  Somehow, guests have been using that for multiple repeat rides, which is not its intent.  So, you were able to take advantage of something that guests who don't have a child who doesn't meet height requirements can.  It's fun to repeat some rides.  The majority of guests can't do that with FP+.  So, you benefited from a loophole in the system.

Again, if you're happy with just three FP+ choices per day at one park, and don't want to ride all the headliners at Epcot and DHS, then you'll love FP+.  Also, if you have a short kid in your party, there's a loophole you can exploit.

TCD

Boy I wonder how long it will be before some money grubbing parent starts to rent out their child who is to short for some rides to people who want to beat the system. Kind of like the disabled scam someone was working.

Sorry, but I'm not done beating this horse.

These are the official rules for the Rider Switch Service, right from the Mouse's mouth:

riderswitch_zps192a69d6.jpg

link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

So, how did your kids get to ride the FP+ reserved rides twice?  The rules say that the adult who waited can bring back one member of the party- just the adult who waited and one child gets to re-ride.  How did your kids get to ride twice?

TCD

Sorry, but I'm not done beating this horse.

These are the official rules for the Rider Switch Service, right from the Mouse's mouth:

riderswitch_zps192a69d6.jpg

link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

So, how did your kids get to ride the FP+ reserved rides twice?  The rules say that the adult who waited can bring back one member of the party- just the adult who waited and one child gets to re-ride.  How did your kids get to ride twice?

TCD

TCD et al...

The Rider Switch offer is not a "loophole", it is a defined benefit for those families that have kids that are not tall enough for the rides that the other kids are.  We are grateful we could utilize this system.

The Rider Switch system was offered on all the rides we rode (which pretty much was everything).  The system is implemented with "Rider Switch" paper tickets, with the attraction name and an expiration date printed on them.  The expiration date varied from ticket to ticket, but the dates always seemed to be at least two weeks into the future.  This indicated it was NOT necessary to use Rider Switch tickets right away.  We utilized this option as well, because we spent three days attending the MK and used a Rider Switch ticket we acquired on Day 1, on Day 3.

The CMs assigning and collecting the Rider Switch tickets did not enforce the "one kid with second adult" rule.  We didn't know that was part of the rule, and the CMs didn't bat an eye at my wife or myself returning with our two boys to ride a second time.

There was no multiple re-riding using the Rider Switch system, either.  When you present your Rider Switch ticket to the CM, they collect it and direct you into the FP+ line.  One re-ride for the other parent, and that's it.

The FP+ system, coupled with the Rider Switch system, made our experience very enjoyable.  Like I said, we rode all the "headliner" rides at all four parks, without waiting in lines that exceeded 15-20 mins.  Again, this also probably was due to the fact that the parks were full, but not crowded, and that we attended the MK for three days....

TCD et al...

The Rider Switch offer is not a "loophole", it is a defined benefit for those families that have kids that are not tall enough for the rides that the other kids are.  We are grateful we could utilize this system.

The Rider Switch system was offered on all the rides we rode (which pretty much was everything).  The system is implemented with "Rider Switch" paper tickets, with the attraction name and an expiration date printed on them.  The expiration date varied from ticket to ticket, but the dates always seemed to be at least two weeks into the future.  This indicated it was NOT necessary to use Rider Switch tickets right away.  We utilized this option as well, because we spent three days attending the MK and used a Rider Switch ticket we acquired on Day 1, on Day 3.

The CMs assigning and collecting the Rider Switch tickets did not enforce the "one kid with second adult" rule.  We didn't know that was part of the rule, and the CMs didn't bat an eye at my wife or myself returning with our two boys to ride a second time.

There was no multiple re-riding using the Rider Switch system, either.  When you present your Rider Switch ticket to the CM, they collect it and direct you into the FP+ line.  One re-ride for the other parent, and that's it.

The FP+ system, coupled with the Rider Switch system, made our experience very enjoyable.  Like I said, we rode all the "headliner" rides at all four parks, without waiting in lines that exceeded 15-20 mins.  Again, this also probably was due to the fact that the parks were full, but not crowded, and that we attended the MK for three days....

Thank you for responding.  I am not suggesting for a minute that you did anything wrong.  If the CM's allow this, then you'd be a fool not to take advantage of it.

This is a HUGE loophole as you have described it.  A family who qualifies gets paper Fastpasses that are good anytime to ride a headliner for a second time.  When everyone else only gets three FP+ per day, and only at a time slot dictated by Disney, this is a huge advantage.

And, I just noticed on the official site that you don't even need a short child- just one who doesn't want to ride for any reason:

riderswitch1_zpsfd7c8e99.jpg

Awesome.

Fiends with kids need to know about this trick!  With a little leg work, you can double your FP+'s, and, after that, you can still get more simply by showing up in the queue.

TCD

You really don't get to double your FPs, because you can only use the Rider Switch ticket to re-ride the same ride you're riding with your FP, with a FP wait time the second time around.  So you still only get to experience three individual rides per park per day using your three FPs.  To my knowledge, they only offer the Rider Switch ticket on a ride that the person has a FP reservation for.  I wonder if you'd go to the front of the line if you waited standby and requested a Rider Switch ticket..(?)

In any case, if you ask parents if they'd prefer to be able ride the FP-reserved attraction with all their kids at once, some would probably rather do that than have one parent wait around with the kid(s) who were to short or didn't want to ride.  Once our daughter is tall enough to ride everything, we will certainly be one of the families who will prefer to ride all together.

You really don't get to double your FPs, because you can only use the Rider Switch ticket to re-ride the same ride you're riding with your FP, with a FP wait time the second time around.  So you still only get to experience three individual rides per park per day using your three FPs.  To my knowledge, they only offer the Rider Switch ticket on a ride that the person has a FP reservation for.  I wonder if you'd go to the front of the line if you waited standby and requested a Rider Switch ticket..(?)

In any case, if you ask parents if they'd prefer to be able ride the FP-reserved attraction with all their kids at once, some would probably rather do that than have one parent wait around with the kid(s) who were to short or didn't want to ride.  Once our daughter is tall enough to ride everything, we will certainly be one of the families who will prefer to ride all together.

Sorry, I don't understand how you can say you didn't get double the FP's.  FP+'s do not allow anyone to use the FP line twice for the same attraction.  There are no re-rides. With the switch passes, your kids got to ride a FP attraction twice using the FP queue.  You said it yourself : "our kids rode the FP+-reserved rides twice." That is a double FP for that ride.  Have you seen what the standby lines look like on FP attractions these days?  Getting to go through the FP line twice is a HUGE advantage- especially when you have a paper pass that lets you come back whenever you want, even on another day.

And, from what I see on the Disney website, you can get the Rider Swap pass independent of FP+ if you want.  It appears that if Party #1 does standby, then you will get the re-ride Fastpasses that you can use later.  That also is a perk regular guests without a qualifying kid don't get.  The website says only one adult and one kid get to re-ride,  which isn't that great.  According to what you're saying, though, they let all your kids re-ride the ride a second time.  That is great.

I am going to be sure to tell anyone with kids to use this trick!  Thanks for sharing!

TCD

I don't know about now, but when we've done this in the past the swap passes were only good for that day and good for the 2nd rider to bring up to 3 people with them.

I'll admit that when my stepdaughter (who hates roller coasters) used to come with us we'd get the swap pass, and she'd watch Z while Jason and I rode twice. The swap pass wasn't time bound like the paper FP, so we'd often use it later in the day.

My family of 5 stayed 7 nights in 2 rooms at All Star Sports March 22-29.  We linked our bands, fastpass+, reservations, etc,  Had no problems whatsoever (except getting the kids up and moving in the morning).  We rode all our favorites with fastpass+ with little waits, most were 10 minutes or less.  Rode other rides with waits of 30 minutes or less.  Rode single rider with little wait.  I was very worried about how the new system would work, but I was very surprised and pleased.  Our only disappointment is that Garden Grill Restaurant wasn't rotating.