A better idea might be after-hours events at the MK marketed toward adults, where say after 10pm they have a special "After Hours EMH" where they have beer and wine vendors set up, have street performances geared more toward adults, live music and dancing on the castle stage and special appetizer carts selling fun foods similar to the F&W concept.  Charge a small amount to get in (in addition to the entrance ticket) and all the food and drinks are ala carte.  Then have fireworks at midnight or 1am.  And of course all the rides open too.  While they wouldn't need to turn children away...I also wouldn't cater anything to them. 

That would be awesome. But I agree with TCD. It will never happen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it would be great if they could build the originally planned Russian pavilion.  Then it could invade the Moroccan pavilion and annex the new lakeside restaurant. 

A better idea might be after-hours events at the MK marketed toward adults, where say after 10pm they have a special "After Hours EMH" where they have beer and wine vendors set up, have street perform

What Epcot needs is more attractions.  That billion and a half the idiots in charge spent on MDE could have paid for a couple.   TCD

The 2012 estimated WDW park attendance shows that DHS and AK are almost even, with Epcot attendance about 10% higher. If it weren't for the special events like the F&GF, the F&WF, the attendance would probably be the lowest of the 4 WDW parks, so they need to have incentives to keep attendance on par with DHS and AK. MK doesn't need, and probably is not able to handle, anymore special ticketed events.

The 2012 estimated WDW park attendance shows that DHS and AK are almost even, with Epcot attendance about 10% higher. If it weren't for the special events like the F&GF, the F&WF, the attendance would probably be the lowest of the 4 WDW parks, so they need to have incentives to keep attendance on par with DHS and AK. MK doesn't need, and probably is not able to handle, anymore special ticketed events.

What Epcot needs is more attractions.  That billion and a half the idiots in charge spent on MDE could have paid for a couple.

TCD

Do you think we will see an expansion of alcohol sales in the MK though...even if only at night?  I'm not saying I'm for it....but I think they broke through a certain barrier with BOG and there could be a further erosion of Walt's "rules" if they can make a significant amount of money off those sales. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

I think they would start with selling it at a hard ticket event (one that requires a separate admission ticket).

But, as Lou pointed out above, they probably are going to focus more on getting guests to visit the other parks, as the MK has enough attractions to draw substantially more guests than the other parks.

They're probably planning to sell lots of booze at the new Animal Kingdom nighttime fiasco that they're planning.  Something with glowing blue ice cubes in it no doubt.

TCD

What Epcot needs is more attractions.  That billion and a half the idiots in charge spent on MDE could have paid for a couple.

Absolutely, Epcot is an embarrassment.

Do you think we will see an expansion of alcohol sales in the MK though...even if only at night?  I'm not saying I'm for it....but I think they broke through a certain barrier with BOG and there could be a further erosion of Walt's "rules" if they can make a significant amount of money off those sales. 

I would think they realize full well that not serving alcohol at a signature restaurant affects it's popularity, and I don't think serving it at all the table service locations would be a problem either.

As for Walt's rules, I hear he's dead, and so are his rules. And in some cases, it's a good thing.

The Disney Food Blog has posted a review of La Cava del Tequila's offerings during the Epcot Wind Down Event...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/04/20/review-epcot-after-hours-wind-down-event-at-la-cava-del-tequila/

Excerpts...

A group of about 10-12 guests gathered for the evening. Walking into an adults-only situation was a refreshing experience — granted, that’s something you typically have at La Cava, but there was a bit of a different feel.

Some of that had to do with the settings in front of us: a tequila flight, a small vodka shot (to “open” our senses, as we learned later), and a Mezcal tequila shot, along with a small bottle of water.

La-Cava-del-Tequila-After-Hours-Tequila-

Tequila Flight

The lights were up a bit, too, for what we were about to experience. With the covers over our glasses, we all knew to wait to begin (which gave us a nice opportunity to meet the folks around us).

We soon found out that we were going to experience something truly unique: a tequila tasting led by Hilda Castillo. This is similar to what was done during the first Food and Wine Festival tequila tasting events, for those of you who have been.

Hilda combines knowledge, passion, and fun to help you feel comfortable and appreciate more of what you’re tasting.

With her guidance, we experienced the characteristics of each tequila through color, aroma, and taste: an incredibly strong (I mean, WOW!) Blanco (White tequila), a Reposado (Rested tequila), and an Anejo (Aged tequila).

Nearing the end of the presentation, our small plates were served so we could sample the cuisine and the flavors paired with the tequilas. From left to right you’ll see Tostada de Tinga (shredded chicken tostada over refried beans with a wonderfully spicy chipotle sauce), Ceviche Acapulqueño (a zesty shrimp cocktail), and Tlacoyo de Puerco (marinated pork served over a grilled corn dough).

La-Cava-del-Tequila-After-Hours-Wind-Dow

Small plates at La Cava

La-Cava-del-Tequila-After-Hours-Chicken-

Chicken Tostada

La-Cava-del-Tequila-After-Hours-Shrimp-C

Shrimp cocktail

La-Cava-del-Tequila-After-Hours-Pork-4-6

Marinated Pork

Something I really liked about the event at La Cava is that it was full of bold flavors, from the spices in the food to the strength of the tequila, and I say that as a compliment to the chef and to those who made the choices offered in the tequila flight.

From a flavor perspective, this was a very full experience; a continual build. Basically, I shouldn’t have any sinus congestion for the next month icon_wink.gif .

The full article also includes some info on the other locations and their assessment of what they think is and isn't working so well so far.

There's also this little tidbit...

Update: Unfortunately, we heard word today that it may not be adults only for very much longer. The Disney website now states that prices are “per person” instead of “per adult,” and La Cava will be offering smoothies for kids.

Well, that report couldn't be more at odds with the report from the previous blogger.

I am not surprised that the Disney Food Blog writer had an over-the-top wonderful experience, because they always do on that site.

It seems like the Mexico pavilion's approach was totally different from Italy's.

According to the blogger, they had a host who led them through a tequila tasting, and then small plates of food were brought out.  It makes it sound like there was no ordering, and she didn't make it clear on whether each guest just got one small plate or what.

The biggest thing that can't be reconciled is how this blogger says she enjoyed strolling out of an empty World Showcase, while the other one complained of the crowds from a busy EMH night.

This blogger gushed about what a unique and surreal experience she had walking out of an empty park. Sorry to burst her bubble, but anyone who wants that experience can have it by making a late dining reservation on any regular night.

Stupid.

Also noteworthy is the observation that the real cost of this event, after adding the tax and gratuity is $45 a person.  Forty Five bucks!  For what?

TCD

...It seems like the Mexico pavilion's approach was totally different from Italy's.

I actually can believe that would be the case.  La Cava del Tequila is already setup for something like this with their normal offerings, and they also do tequila tastings/seminars from time to time and they're pretty well run.  We've been to one with Hilda before and it was very good.They're somewhat unique from some of the other World Showcase restaurant/lounge locations in that they do their own promotion outside of Disney and have a pretty loyal following.  They even have their own website and Twitter.

I guess I'm saying that something like this wouldn't be all that different from what they do there on a regular basis, so it's possible things went much more smoothly here than the other locations.

As I said before, I think Epcot could benefit from a great night time parade. I think they should have took that new parade at the MK and debuted it at Epcot. The parade could be at 8 and 10 with illuminations right after the last parade. This would have gotten higher attendance at the park and softened crowds at MK after 9pm. They seriously need to do something new and big at Epcot. Without TTand soarin future world is very lame and thee is only so much you can eat drink and buy in world showcase

I actually can believe that would be the case.  La Cava del Tequila is already setup for something like this with their normal offerings, and they also do tequila tastings/seminars from time to time and they're pretty well run.  We've been to one with Hilda before and it was very good.They're somewhat unique from some of the other World Showcase restaurant/lounge locations in that they do their own promotion outside of Disney and have a pretty loyal following.  They even have their own website and Twitter.

I guess I'm saying that something like this wouldn't be all that different from what they do there on a regular basis, so it's possible things went much more smoothly here than the other locations.

Interesting.  I didn't know that.

I guess each place is independently managed and La Cava has its act together, while the other venues don't.

Typical Disney mismanagement.

Some guests have a great experience.  Others leave disappointed.

As I said before, I think Epcot could benefit from a great night time parade. I think they should have took that new parade at the MK and debuted it at Epcot. The parade could be at 8 and 10 with illuminations right after the last parade. This would have gotten higher attendance at the park and softened crowds at MK after 9pm. They seriously need to do something new and big at Epcot. Without TTand soarin future world is very lame and thee is only so much you can eat drink and buy in world showcase

I agree that Epcot needs something- but a parade isn't enough.

They should have added something to Epcot before adding New Fantasyland to the MK.  It's sad that Epcot used to be my favorite park, but now it's one that we will visit to ride either TT or Soarin' before bouncing to another park.

TCD

The original intent of Epcot (not Walt's ideas...but the intent when EPCOT Center was designed and opened) was to be like a permanent World'd Fair.  While the World Showcase still has that general feel of international pavilions, it really could use a couple of new countries to spice things up a bit.  And Future World.....my gosh that place has strayed FAR from it's original concept.  I really don't think Disney has any idea what it is anymore...there is no cohesive theme anymore.  I think before building Avatar Land (I know...too late) they really should have developed a new or refreshed concept for FW and re-established Epcot as an amazing park. 

Then again....Hollywood Studios has strayed pretty far from it's original concept too....but that's for another thread. 

Epcot needs a new country with a ride.

It needs more than that.

I say no new country.  Instead, add a ride to an existing country.  There were once plans for a rollercoaster based on Mt. Fuji at Japan, and boat ride type rides at both Germany and Italy.  I think WDW has enough mountains and boat rides, but they could come up with something.

Then fix the Imagination and Wonders of Life pavilions and add attractions there.  And do something with the empty Odyssey restaurant and then add something where the old Millennium Village sits.

They need all of that.

TCD

It needs more than that.

I say no new country.  Instead, add a ride to an existing country.  There were once plans for a rollercoaster based on Mt. Fuji at Japan, and boat ride type rides at both Germany and Italy.  I think WDW has enough mountains and boat rides, but they could come up with something.

Then fix the Imagination and Wonders of Life pavilions and add attractions there.  And do something with the empty Odyssey restaurant and then add something where the old Millennium Village sits.

They need all of that.

TCD

I was trying to be realistic. A roller coaster would be great, but I don't see them putting it back in the WS and then not opening the WS at RD. 

I will say that the fact that the Odyssey restaurant has sat empty on prime real estate for so long is baffling. 

I was trying to be realistic. A roller coaster would be great, but I don't see them putting it back in the WS and then not opening the WS at RD. 

I will say that the fact that the Odyssey restaurant has sat empty on prime real estate for so long is baffling. 

I know.  My post was far from realistic.  The way things have gone lately, there is no hope of them adding anything close to even one major attraction in Epcot.  I guess that they make enough money on the Food and Wine Festival and to a lesser extent the Flower and Garden Festival to keep the beancounters happy.

It's pretty clear that from now until 2017, all that WDW has to look forward to is Avatarland.

I'm sure sometime before that opens, there will be a new attraction or two announced, with open dates off in the future.

As long as fools keep paying to come in the parks, then there really isn't any reason for them to spend money on more attractions.

What I think they're missing is that even the fools will eventually tire of paying for what they're offering.

TCD

It has gotten where the Fort keeps us coming back not the parks. We now look at it as a campground that has some other stuff to do.

I know.  My post was far from realistic.  The way things have gone lately, there is no hope of them adding anything close to even one major attraction in Epcot.  I guess that they make enough money on the Food and Wine Festival and to a lesser extent the Flower and Garden Festival to keep the beancounters happy.

It's pretty clear that from now until 2017, all that WDW has to look forward to is Avatarland.

I'm sure sometime before that opens, there will be a new attraction or two announced, with open dates off in the future.

As long as fools keep paying to come in the parks, then there really isn't any reason for them to spend money on more attractions.

What I think they're missing is that even the fools will eventually tire of paying for what they're offering.

TCD