Does anyone have the Dometic Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker? I am thinking of buying one and was curious if anyone had it and how they like it. We use a lot of ice and although I know it will not fill a cooler  but it does make 33lbs of ice daily. If I fill my cooler and just add the ice as needed I wonder if it would be worth the initial investment.

This is something we've debated. Apparently, the ice isn't hard frozen. You'd really need to bag it and put it in your freezer overnight to make it last longer. That's what keeps us from getting one. But if you are using ice for drinks, it would work for sure. 

I've almost bought one about 5 times. LOL

I don't have one but will be getting one for our July trip 6 dollars for a bag of ice is a lot

I didn't pay 6 bucks for ice at the machine at the comfort station in September. I think it was 2 bucks.

I found one on sale for $169.97. The regular price is $299.00 so that is why I am inquiring. We do not pay for our initial ice (hubby fills up at the fire station) so our cost comes from having to buy more ice while camping. Anyway, I am curious of any first hand knowledge if anyone has one.

I think most of them are manufactured in the same plant and sold under different names.

They come up on woot fairly often, and that's usually when I consider it.

Our friends bought one a long time ago but got tired of filling it up. They had one of the first that came out though.

You would have to buy 85 bags in a season to justify what you would pay for the Ice maker.  And then you would have to figure out where you are going to store the thing when you are not using it.  Just saying it may not be worth it if you don't camp every week end at a camp ground with electricity.    

I agree with Kelly.  I believe most, if not all, are made by one company.  We bought one a few years back and took it to Texas.  It sat in 100+ degree temps under the awning.  It made a few "cubes" which were really tubes, but they melted before the next batch dropped.  I think the reservoir held about a gallon of water, so it should make for quite a while before it needs to be refilled.  The bucket looks to be maybe a quart size, or so,  but if the outside temp is high it would require frequent emptying.  There is nothing to keep the ice frozen in the bucket.  But it does make a batch about every 6 minutes. 

We finally gave it to a daughter who uses it quite frequently when entertaining.  Last time we were there, she had the thing going all day and still had a cooler of bought ice on the floor next to it.  As for storage, we kept it in the box in the basement except for the one trip we took it on.  And 100 degrees was probably not a decent test for it.  I found mine at Home Depot on a clearance sale.

I've had one for several yrs.  Love it.  Wouldn't be without one.  I like my beverages to be ice cold .  Period.  Tried the refrigerator.....but all my produce was freezing by the time I got my adult beverages cold enough.  We spend 4 months every yr. in our RV.  So it made sense to buy an ice machine.  Mine come from Target.   Current price is around $159.  It goes on sale often for $139 or less!  Don't buy more expensive ones....as said before....they are all made by the same company....including the one camping world has for $299.  Now....the negatives.....It's noisy.  You hear the pump sucking in water, then the racket of the ice being dumped in to the bin.  Solution....our noise maker...I mean  icemaker sits outside .  Plan on a commitment.  It can take from 1 to 2 hrs. of making ice to cool the interior enough that the ice doesn't melt faster than producing.  However, once its cool, it will chug along making ice.  Be prepared to dump ice out of the bin and into your cooler every couple hrs. ....IF you want lots of ice. Also, plan on refilling with water after you dump.  I will run mine daily....never all day.  Its not necessary  to babysit the machine.  The ice will hold for a while once its full.  If you are gone for hours it will simply melt and when the level drops below "full" the machine will make another batch.  Another thing I've noticed about the light panel on the front.   It will light up when out of water or when the ice bin is full.  When you refill the water, or dump the ice it can take time for the computer to register that you've done this.  I'm talking 5 - 15 minutes .  Its not broke.  Its just slow.  Never overfill with water.  This confuses the machine and it will get stuck on fill cycle and won't make ice.  This has been my experience during the last 5 winters in Florida.

Please let me know who buys these. I can pick up an ice bag at the comfort station for free, and will be sure your bin doesn't overflow or the ice melt.

Since when is ice free at the comfort centers at FW? Always takes quarters when I go, maybe I am going to the wrong one!

Ice isn't. Bags are. Ice at everybody's ice machine they bought at Target is.

Between this and your crock pot scavenging you are set.

I figure I can save myself some time by combining the two into one trip. Time management, you know.