How old were your kids when they started to ride the "big" rides?

It has been well documented during the last week that Mr. GDF really loves me and is going to let us return to Disney after my 1 year ban. That will be in 11 months. Z is currently 42 inches with his shoes off. I'm guessing that makes him almost 43 with shoes on today. I'm think there's a good chance he'll make the 44 inch cutoff needed more Expedition Everest and Space next April, and he's already tall enough for ToT. BUT, I'm not sure if we should let him ride them. Here are the facts.... 

He'll have just turned 6.

He LOVES BTMRR and the HM (not scared). 

He also likes Splash.

He wants to ride Space, ToT, RnR (he won't be tall enough though), but doesn't remember anything about seeing EE (which to me is more intense than RnR).

I'm afraid to let him ride Space because I can't sit next to him and am personally afraid of ToT but would ride for him.... maybe.  

His only experience dropping is at the fair and Storybook Land (not as far as ToT) and he laughed hysterically. 

So..... How old were your kids when they rode the bigger rides? What would you let a kid like Z ride at 6? Part of me is afraid he'll get scared and won't want to ride stuff the rest of the trip. 

Age is just a number.

The TCD girls rode everything they could as soon as they could.  I remember the times when they would stand to get measured, and got turned away.  They looked forward to riding as soon as they possible could.  And they did.

You don't need to sit next to Z on Space Mountain.  He'll be fine.  If he wants to ride let him.  If he isn't ready mentally, don't force him.  But don't hold that boy back because you're a chicken.  Man up.

TCD

I agree. If he wants to ride and meets the night requirement let him ride. Just don't be a stupid parent like we saw at AK last month and saw a girl wearing blocks with rubber bands on the bottom of her shoes to make the height requirement on EE. The after took then off and put them I his backpack after they got through the last height checkpoint. Then the whole family laughed. Can we all say idiots?

Last fall Diva was 5 and Einstein was 7.  Einstein got to ride all the biggies and loved them.  Diva was heartbroken that she was turned away from RnRC because of her height.  Also she didn't ride EE because she was sick and asleep in the stroller.  ToT terrified her, not because of the drops but because of the theming.

I think every child is different.  I agree with TCD that age is just a number.

I agree. If he wants to ride and meets the night requirement let him ride. Just don't be a stupid parent like we saw at AK last month and saw a girl wearing blocks with rubber bands on the bottom of her shoes to make the height requirement on EE. The after took then off and put them I his backpack after they got through the last height checkpoint. Then the whole family laughed. Can we all say idiots?

Sadly that will be the family that sues when something bad happens.

Oh and DD was 4 on BTMRR. Let them ride what they want if they meet size requirement. She also loves HM.

In my opinion the drop on Splash is the most intense drop on any of the WDW rides.  More intense than EE or RNRC.  Definitely more intense than TOT.

TCD

Hmmm ... I'm rethinking the rides.  The drop on EE looks 4 times as long as Splash (which I haven't ridden yet).  And could I handle ToT? Never mind.  David won't ride any of them.

Hmmm ... I'm rethinking the rides.  The drop on EE looks 4 times as long as Splash (which I haven't ridden yet).  And could I handle ToT? Never mind.  David won't ride any of them.

To me, the drop in Splash is more intense than the big drop on EE.

And, the way they have TOT going these days, it's more like a yo-yo than the one big drop they originally had.

TCD

My boys were 10 and 11 before we went to Disney, but my oldest was my Roller Coaster buddy from the time he was 4 on the likes of the Scream Machine, Georgia Cyclone, Mind Bender, Dahlenoga Mine Train, etc., etc. (Six Flags Over Georgia)  Of course, my two boys were always off the charts height wise for their age group.

Oh another funny story. My oldest went to Universal Studios several years ago, and tried to get on their show they had at the time "Fear Factor Live". They wouldn't let him on because he EXCEEDED the height limit.

I'm guessing very few folks have had "that" particular problem.

Agreed.  Unless you're sitting in the front row on EE, which is totally worth waiting for.   8)

I think ToT's theming and the anticipation is much more scary than the ride itself for some people.  At least it was for DH.  He was freaking a little the first time we rode it, then wanted to go on again as soon as we got off. 

My DD had just turned 4 on our last trip and her shoes just got her to 40" she rode all she could and loved it. Tot ,test track, big thunder Dino. But she loves anything fast. My nephews both hit 40" at 2. One of them rode all he could and loved it including TOT the other one didn't. There now 13 and 8. The 13 year old has rode it all since 2 and always loved it the 8 year old has tried some and doesn't like most.

I just re-read this.

If Z has already ridden Splash Mountain, then I think he'd be fine on Space Mountain and Tower of Terror.

In my opinion the drop on Splash is the most intense drop on any of the WDW rides.  More intense than EE or RNRC.  Definitely more intense than TOT.

TCD

Z really liked Splash. I can't put it in the same category as BTMRR (his by far favorite) because it's only been open once in our last 3 trips. It was closed in January 2014 and April 2013. When he rode it in July, he immediately wanted to ride again. 

Is it weird that ToT is the only ride I'm afraid of at Disney? I haven't ridden it since Z was 4 month old, and I think I was shaking for 30 minutes afterward. Z has seen the drop and knows the inside has ghosts, etc. He really wants to ride it and promises to hold my hand so I'm not scared. Ha ha ha ha

You can do it!

And, the way they have TOT going these days, it's more like a yo-yo than the one big drop they originally had.

TCD

Really? In my mind, I rate them from least intense to most intense.... Splash, RnR, EE.... but I love them all. 

My granddaughter is 3 rides everything she can loves it. she is tall 43 inches tall she will ride everything they will allow

Z is only in the 47ish % for height, and he hates it. He reeeeeeeeeeeeally wants to ride RnR, but it's going to be awhile. 

My boys were 10 and 11 before we went to Disney, but my oldest was my Roller Coaster buddy from the time he was 4 on the likes of the Scream Machine, Georgia Cyclone, Mind Bender, Dahlenoga Mine Train, etc., etc. (Six Flags Over Georgia)  Of course, my two boys were always off the charts height wise for their age group.

Oh another funny story. My oldest went to Universal Studios several years ago, and tried to get on their show they had at the time "Fear Factor Live". They wouldn't let him on because he EXCEEDED the height limit.

I'm guessing very few folks have had "that" particular problem.

Funny you mention Six Flags. We have plans to make it there at some point this year. Z wants to go upside down, and he's tall enough for the Mind Bender. That used to be my absolute favorite coaster back in the day. 

Agreed.  Unless you're sitting in the front row on EE, which is totally worth waiting for.   8)

I think ToT's theming and the anticipation is much more scary than the ride itself for some people.  At least it was for DH.  He was freaking a little the first time we rode it, then wanted to go on again as soon as we got off. 

The free fall feeling gets me. But I must be brave for the kid, right?

My DD had just turned 4 on our last trip and her shoes just got her to 40" she rode all she could and loved it. Tot ,test track, big thunder Dino. But she loves anything fast. My nephews both hit 40" at 2. One of them rode all he could and loved it including TOT the other one didn't. There now 13 and 8. The 13 year old has rode it all since 2 and always loved it the 8 year old has tried some and doesn't like most.

That was Z on our last couple of trips.... Soarin, TT, BTMRR.... we haven't done Dino yet because we don't get to AK as much, but we will next April. 

My granddaughter is 3 rides everything she can loves it. she is tall 43 inches tall she will ride everything they will allow

Wow lucky girl to be that tall. I am amazed that my girl is not taller. I am 6'2" and my DW is 5'11"

My kids were all different.  DD18 and DD16 didn't really experience rides when they were little, but love them now.  My 14 year old doesn't like anything in the thrill category.  My 8 year old loves it all.  BTMRR has been her favorite since she was tall enough to ride it and graduated from the Barnstormer.  On our last trip she rode RNR, ToT, Space Mtn, EE....pretty much everything.  

Now Anna....she is limited because at 6 years old she's still only 35" tall.  But she really enjoyed Barnstormer on our last trip (which was nearly 18 months ago).  When she's tall enough I bet she like BTMRR.  She has a wild streak.  

My kids were all different.  DD18 and DD16 didn't really experience rides when they were little, but love them now.  My 14 year old doesn't like anything in the thrill category.  My 8 year old loves it all.  BTMRR has been her favorite since she was tall enough to ride it and graduated from the Barnstormer.  On our last trip she rode RNR, ToT, Space Mtn, EE....pretty much everything.  

Now Anna....she is limited because at 6 years old she's still only 35" tall.  But she really enjoyed Barnstormer on our last trip (which was nearly 18 months ago).  When she's tall enough I bet she like BTMRR.  She has a wild streak.

That's small but you get to hold her longer so that's nice. You couldn't even pick my nephews up at 4. But my girl is no problem to carry at 4.

I think DD bugged me from the time she was 6 to ride the "big" rides. So the summer of 2013 she was 8 yrs old and tall enough to ride them. She loved them all except TOT.

We're scheduling FP+ the other day and she wants to ride all the "big" rides except ToT.

I say let him ride them all. Start with the ones you think he will like and the more mild rides.

I'm sure he will have a blast. Go with the flow. I know that will be difficult for you. Lol.