Live from Topsail Hill... The Good, The Bad, and The Flooding

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dang, it looks like the GaDawgFans should change their names to the MacGyver's... They have a gadget, item or utensil for just about anything or any purpose...  If they don't have it, then you don't n

Playing made Z tired. He chilled in the trailer for a bit.

EA8C3BC1-11A8-4C09-BC32-8EA390664E59.jpg

We headed back because my friend and her daughter were coming to visit for a few days.

The path to the beach is flooded as well.

28B2B3F0-24A0-4518-B57E-AFEA267F978E.jpg

I relaxed some.

A9014D27-0964-4656-9795-EFECBF4FAFEE.jpg

Jason set up the Egg.

80690A67-0FBC-4C5A-AC2F-29DAAF985539.jpg

Then Z did some bike riding.

1534ACEF-3E9E-4E40-9A4D-647E4204E0E6.jpg

Once my friend arrived we took the kids to the playground and then ate dinner.

Having the Egg here is even better than I thought!

We are with our friends staying here and my friend who is just here for a couple of days. There was salad too but no picture of that.

8122CE54-2387-4538-BBE6-E0F80F2BFB54.jpg

This morning we hit the Donut Hole for some breakfast. See, all the pictures aren't depressing.

7DFC7F1D-389F-49EA-AB35-968018A44912.jpg

8323363E-755C-4891-9870-384231CF109F.jpg

Breakfast was good, but those people sure don't get in a hurry.

Then we went to the beach.

Depressing bike rack shot.

F765782C-8E2A-4652-A0DE-63A47070798A.jpg

The beach is in much better shape when you get away from the flooded lakes. Don't worry about the clouds. The rain missed us and then it cleared up.

238B9A7B-A17D-481A-A069-180851235964.jpg

49BEF1C4-C473-48F6-A12A-AEB28A5F9262.jpg

That's all I've got for today.

Page Two.....better late than never.

Hopefully after it all dries out they can fix up the beach a bit and get it close to the awesomeness that it was during your last visit.

Z is back in his element!

Welcome! Because Topsail is a nature preserve, they aren't going to fix it. The black sand will get washed away eventually, and the flooding should dry up. The dunes will never be the same though. I can't imagine how high the water was. The trench it made is probably 10 feet deep.

Aahhh the "Redneck Rivera"!  Love me some Topsail!  My second favorite campground/area next to the Fort...  I would much rather drive the 13 hours from NC to Topsail then drive the 2+ hours to any of the NC/SC beaches....

Can't wait to hear more!

I'm in...a little late, but then I usually am. It's hard for me to call any pictures with the ocean in them "depressing", but I am sorry the dunes and stuff got messed up by the flooding. At least Z is looking beyond that and appears to be having a blast! Can't wait for more! 

Aahhh the "Redneck Rivera"!  Love me some Topsail!  My second favorite campground/area next to the Fort...  I would much rather drive the 13 hours from NC to Topsail then drive the 2+ hours to any of the NC/SC beaches....

And my second favorite campground is Ocean Lakes at Myrtle Beach!  But we always go in the spring or fall, never during the crazy summer crowds.  

I was going to say  Z + water = happy!  But now I have to add   Z + pancake = happy!    And that pancake looks as big as his head. 

I've never been to Topsail Hill but last summer we drove through that area and spent 1/2 day at Grayton Beach and I was very impressed. I'd never been through that part of FLA before. Very pretty.

A day at the beach.

A nap.

A hearty breakfast.

Doesn't seem so depressing.....Oh, wait.  It's the photos that were depressing.  

I could sent you some photos of the cubicle walls I'm looking at. That's depressing.......

I'm glad that I missed the depressing stuff.

Cue the sun!

BTW- there's a new Donut Hole at the east end of 30A- in case you're looking for something to do.

TCD

Yes, it should be less depressing from here. Really, there are 3 Donut Holes? Actually it makes sense since there aren't a lot of breakfast options around here.

Aahhh the "Redneck Rivera"! Love me some Topsail! My second favorite campground/area next to the Fort... I would much rather drive the 13 hours from NC to Topsail then drive the 2+ hours to any of the NC/SC beaches....

Can't wait to hear more!

It's my second favorite next to the Fort as well.

I'm in!

Boo for bad pics, but looks like Z was able to overlook the issues :)

Did the BGE ride ok on the way down? I can't remember if you said it would travel in the RV or on the back of the jeep.

It made it and has been great. It rode inside the Jeep.

I don't think I've mentioned that the TCD gang made a quick weekend trip to Seaside over Easter this year.

The weather was bad.

But, we still had fun. Here's a photo from our dinner at Seagrove Market Café:

30a_zps996a520e.jpg

TCD

You and Jason would get along quite well!

Good news to report from Topsail! Things are drying up! Obviously the erosion is still there but there is less water on the roads and sites.

Last night we did some of this.

B9805C95-81F9-41BF-A50C-06B182C4E403.jpg

And we started a pork shoulder on the egg. I'm pretty sure our neighbors hate us.

059CA8A5-02FA-4DBB-BE48-FE8D6C794847.jpg

Then we went down for the sunset and ghost crab hunting

A3C5EA6D-0C2C-4D73-92DA-3A3DC82BD115.jpg

I absolutely love hunting crabs with the kids. Such excitement!

865E6CB6-AC0B-48B4-AC0A-596EE07D5395.jpg

The pork shoulder is finished. Here's a picture pre shredding.

6B3F2AB3-A663-40CB-9FB3-58AE5D0EFE8F.jpg

No more red flag!

38DB45E6-6623-46DE-8308-740DC7FE10B9.jpg

We walked down to a prettier part of the beach. Less erosion here.

9FFB88B1-2E82-487C-A054-D3A5811E93B3.jpg

835D3504-7374-4D02-AD20-3210A874BA79.jpg

0B4A9A1C-10E4-4B7D-8BD6-CC257BCA539C.jpg

Things are getting better! Yay! My BFF and her daughter leave in the morning. We're here until next Friday though.

Wow, what a trip.

I always wanted one of those Margaritaville blenders- but they're too big and too expensive to justify buying one for the few times a year we would use it.  That pork looks good enough to eat.

I miss our crab hunting days.  We used to do that every night when we'd be at the beach.

Now, when we go, we will only crab hunt one night if we're lucky. 

What do you do after you catch the crabs?  The way we used to do it at the end if everyone has to stand in a circle.  Bare feet, and tight, so there are no gaps.  Then the crabs get released in the middle of the circle.  if you flinch, you're a chicken and subject to ridicule.  Fun times.

TCD