Ice chest or cooler recommendations for week long trip at disney

We are planning a week trip this summer to the campground.  Until now we have only done long weekend trips freezing jugs of water, prepared frozen foods at home and have had no problems.  We were researching electric coolers but such mixed reviews, some say just a good ice cooler is better. If anyone has any food recipes, cooler suggestions for this trip we would appreciate it. We will be camping in a small pop up. 

If it's to the Fort, then keeping ice in a cooler is lots of work. For your food, get one of the "Xtreme" models and keep it shut tight. For drinks, just a regular cooler will be fine.

Also, buy your ice from the trading post instead of the machines. It is frozen harder.

I use a small dorm refrigerator with my popup at the Fort. 

We too brought a small fridge when tent camping at the Fort.  I think we have this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-3-5-cu-ft-Mini-Refrigerator-in-Stainless-Look-ENERGYSTAR-HMBR350SE/203425045?N=5yc1vZc4mo

When we stay for a week at the fort, we plan on eating most meals at the pop-up. Nothing fancy, but we do love to eat so we do plan it out, somewhat. My menus typically get us through half the stay, then Mikey runs out to Publix (my favorite, 'cause they are from my hometown) for more food and ice. I have a list of what I want him to buy, prepared before we leave (or this is also a nice little game to play on the drive to Disney). There is always editing before he actually goes, plus his motto is "I'm on vacation! So I'm gonna pick up some... (Insert your vice here.)" Since I told on him, I'll add that Publix bakeries that serve populations with lots of Hispanic people (Orlando) will have Guava Pastries, don't miss it, because it is on my list.

We use a 4 ice chest method. The first one is huge and is one of those fancy ones I call a hurricane cooler. It has clean ice and gets to sit outside in the shade, on the tongue, under the pop-up bed. It is inconvenient, and therefore ideal to keep frequent "ice chest inspectors" out. The other three have "stuff" in them. One big one for all the chilled food that couldn't fit in the pop-up's tiny fridge (may I suggest gallon zip locks for anything that may leak) and two smaller ones for drinks. The kids have one with kid drinks and adult drinks in the other.

When it's time to go to Publix, all of the remaining clean ice goes in the smaller coolers and the big cooler goes to Publix for a refill.

I am sure there are more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing, but this method has served us well for MANY years of camping at the Fort.

Ok, We're after post #10, so ...I thought only the locals or "other resort guests" could use the pool and pavilion.

Seriously it sounds like you have this cooler thing down to a fine art. We tried a portable ice maker a few years ago, but found it would not keep up with the 100+ temps.  Gave it away to a daughter who loves it for parties.

You really want to get either an  Coleman extreme or Igloo Ultra.  We have both a 120 qt Coleman and I think its a 48 qt Igloo cube on wheels.. I have a freezer at home so I freeze about 40 lb block of ice for the big cooler that we keep our food in. Any food that can be frozen like hamburger patties, hot dogs, chicken breast...we freeze. I use the other cooler for drinks. So the food cooler is only opened at meal time.  Keep both out of the sun and try to load with only cold items. We have been for 10 days in July and still had block ice left in the food cooler.  When we started to have to restock drinks we go to Publix and buy cold drinks and bag ice from the freezer.  I agree if you have to buy ice at the fort get it from the trading post freezer. 

We are planning a week trip this summer to the campground.

Tell me that you have an AC for the tent.

I thought only the locals or "other resort guests" could use the pool and pavilion.

That is correct. Why do you think otherwise?

We tried a portable ice maker a few years ago, but found it would not keep up with the 100+ temps.

If you're saying that the temps were in the 100s at the Fort, I must raise the flag. :bs:

I just recently bought an Igloo portable ice maker. It will make about 26 lbs of ice daily, but you do have to keep emptying to tray and refilling the water or it stops making ice. Once turned on, it will make a "light" batch, then drops ice about every 4 minutes. The tray fills about every hour, sometimes less. Surprising these little cubes last longer than my refrig ice maker. I like my drinks with alot of ice (spoiled that way), so its perfect. I got this ice maker from Samsclub for $99.00 Have taken it on at leSt one trip and it did well. We camp during Julymand August in Texas, so any relief from the heat is pure heaven. We are also in a pop up and use the xtreme coolers with block Ice. My husband alsomade a cover to go over the cooler made of reflectix and they helps as well, to deflect some of the heat. We are hoping to buy a 3.5 cu refrig with small freezer to help keep things cool. We are less than amonth from coming for our first time. We are all excited, I just hope I can get iit all together. There is so much to do, but we are staying for 11 nights, so we will have some downtime, I hope. I so enjoy all the information you provide and you keep the chuckles coming. Hope to me ya'll sometime.

You really want to get either an  Coleman extreme or Igloo Ultra.  We have both a 120 qt Coleman and I think its a 48 qt Igloo cube on wheels.. I have a freezer at home so I freeze about 40 lb block of ice for the big cooler that we keep our food in. Any food that can be frozen like hamburger patties, hot dogs, chicken breast...we freeze. I use the other cooler for drinks. So the food cooler is only opened at meal time.  Keep both out of the sun and try to load with only cold items. We have been for 10 days in July and still had block ice left in the food cooler.  When we started to have to restock drinks we go to Publix and buy cold drinks and bag ice from the freezer.  I agree if you have to buy ice at the fort get it from the trading post freezer. 

What kind of container do you make 40 lb blocks of ice in, and are they sealed so melted ice doen't get everything soggy?

We've been using gallon milk jugs filled with salt water, but we just had a small nothing special ice chest.  Looking at the Colman Xtreme 120 at Wal Mart for $53.  They are a lot cheaper then the Yeti brand and got almost as good a review.

I like your idea of the multiple chest especailly since we will have a 5 and a 9 year old with us.  I think we'll use our smaller chest for drinks and pack their foods (sandwiches, snacks) for the day in it.  That will keep them from grazing in the big one.

My bad.  Those 100+ degrees were not at the Fort, but at an IRV2 rally in Perrin TX about 5 years ago.The only cool place was the room where we had potluck suppers and some kids activities..

I've stayed at that RV park in Perrin!  That little place has to be one of the hottest, driest places on earth!