My experience with last minute FP+ (during a holiday)

As many of you know, I'm planning a last minute trip that includes the 4th of July. I thought it might help to discuss my experience booking last minute FP+. Also, if you have any tips for me, please jump in. 

The group.... For part of the stay, there are 2 of us.... For the end of the stay 4. 

Priorities:

None of us have ridden the 7DMT... priority!

Both kids love Frozen and have a crush on them... Could I possibly get a meet and greet with the sisters? 

Classics such as: BTMRR, HM, PP, etc. are important but less so than above.

Epcot: Soarin, Nemo, Character Spot

My experience so far....

Initially, I started playing around last night, and I could get pretty much anything I want at this point EXCEPT... FoF Parade on most days, 7DMT, and of course, Anna and Elsa.

I want to see FoF, but I'm not booking a FP+ for it. I could have for 2 on the 4th, but I know our friends will want to see it too. We'll camp out on the curb a different day and give the kids a rest instead. 

Now things get difficult. The key.... split your party into individuals vs. trying to get availability for 4. 

So far, I have an evening where we ALL have 7DMT as individuals. There is only an overlap of 5 minutes where we ALL have it. Not ideal, and I'm hoping to move the first or last time, but doable. I plan to get there a bit early and watch the clock.

A&E... They're more elusive than SW, no matter what DIT says. Initially, I got one slot for an individual.Granted, at 8:50 PM, it's later than I'd like. I took it. In 24 hours, I've been able to get 3 overlapping slots, 2 at the same time and one that starts 20 minutes later. Fingers crossed I can get the last! Luckily, our kids are pretty good about stretching bedtime on vacation. 

So that's where I am. Interestingly, I knew that my 2 priorities would be a big issue and considered not booking last minute because of that. Hopefully it works out. Again, any suggestions are welcome! 

I'm too drunk to read your entire post, but my offer to dress up as Elsa in exchange for a free trip still stands.  No FP necessary.  

Here's the deal... I bring a pan of cinnamon rolls to the Fort... you show up as Elsa.... Sound good?

I'm not sure if you know this, but it was confirmed to me by a FP+ CM and also in field testing, that your FP+ return time will be honored 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after the time stated.  If you go to one of the kiosks, the CM's there do a lot of manipulating the system to give parties overlapping FP+ times.  The TCD twins were able to see A & E with FP+ on our last visit, and I had just been able to book those FP+'s the night before.  The times did not even overlap- but one was able to go 10 minutes past her return time, and the other 5 minutes early, and it worked.

DO NOT USE ONE OF YOUR FP+ CHOICES FOR FOF.  The FP+ viewing area is in the blazing sun with no shade.  You can find a viewing spot in the shade on the Country Bears side of the street in Frontierland 45 minutes before the parade.  Go there.  If you have an hour, you can find a spot on the Casey's side of Main Street, where you will have shade the entire time.  In the summer, you will be much happier sitting in the shade for 45 minutes to an hour than standing in the blazing sun for a shorter period.  Plus the sun won't be in your eyes when you watch the parade.

TCD

Good info TCD. Much appreciated.

My pleasure.

Another tip:  at the MK, the FP+ kiosk area back by Dumbo and the Barnstormer is the one you want to go to.  There are never lines there, and the CM's are standing around ready to help.  I forgot to mention one other tidbit of information I picked up there recently.  You can't transfer a FP+ from one family member's MB to another.  We were there recently with a situation where Twin #2 had a FP+ time that she wouldn't be able to use, and we wanted to transfer it to my MB so I could use it with Twin #1.  The CM said they had no way to do that.  But, it was perfectly fine for me to just switch MB's with Twin #2 and use her MB.  So if you have a mom and dad and a couple of kids, and you want the kids to ride something twice while the parents sit on a bench and chill, all you have to do is swap MB's.  It's perfectly fine.

TCD