Dreams Come True...

Thanks for all of the photos from Pearl Harbor, Duane.  I would really like to visit it myself someday.  I have not read that quote you shared - very thought provoking.

You are so welcome.  This was the highlight of my trip... I often wonder how many pass by things like this and never stop to read them.

I've wanted to visit Pearl Harbor since my grandmother went back in the 70's and brought back pictures and stories.  Just incredible.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  

You now will have to visit yourself to carry on the story to your kids and grandkids...

There is a second ship that is partially above water on Ford Island from the Pearl Harbor attack. Did the tour include it?

Red I do remember them saying something about another memorial on the other side of the island.  I think its for the Oklahoma, as it was one of the other ships that could not be raised and repaired to fight again.  The pass that I purchased allowed me to visit all of the exhibits there.  I didn't get a chance to see that or the aviation museum.

I am speechless.

Gwen, you need to go and experience it for yourself...  It is definitely one of those things that you walk away really reflecting on what you see and hear.

Wonderful pictures!!!!!!!Thanks so much for the Pearl Harbor pictures, I was in your boat when we went to Hawaii the only thing I HAD TO DO was see Pearl Harbor everything else was just a bonus, thanks again

I absolutely love this kind of stuff.... As much as I travel, I try to see as much of these things as I can.  I'm not sure how much longer these things will be around for people to enjoy.

Thank you so much for the pictures.  Pearl Harbor is a MUST do for my trip in April.

If you just want to go out to the Memorial, book your tour early online.  If you want the passport for all the attractions, there are an unlimited number of those, so you will be fine.

Very moving.  Thank you for sharing, Duane.

You are so welcome!

Better late than never!

I am here.

I read some of your report on my phone, but I just went back and looked at all the photos on my computer.  You are doing a fantastic job!

I didn't know that they had a self-serve Dole Whip machine there.  That moves it higher up on my places to visit.

And thanks for the light fixture photos-what a beautiful resort.

Looking forward to reading more.

TCD

I was wondering if you were along with us on this journey...  Even though I did not partake (I know, the cardinal sin), there are at least 3 machines that I know of in Hawaii.  There is one at Aulani, one across the street at the small supermarket and one of all places, at the Dole Pineapple Plantation.

As for the light fixtures, I took those especially with you in mind...

Disney, blew it out of the water on this resort... I could see them building something like this back in Florida at WDW... Just not over by the Fort!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am going to have to start putting some $$ away for a trip like this some day. Those photos are so nice! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Visiting Pearl Harbor and the memorial is a very moving experience.  Thanks for bringing those memories back to me.  There are no words that I can use to describe how it feels to stand on that memorial over the ship and watch the oil bubble out.

Hawaii is a popular vacation destination for the Japanese.  They are everywhere on the islands.  Except for Pearl Harbor.   Nope, not one Japanese tourist did we see .

I couldn't have said it better myself.

You are right about the Japanese being everywhere.  There were alot of them at Aulani and many out on the Memorial. 

Side story... Before I went to work at the company I am currently at, I used to work for Mitsubishi Electric, in fact I worked there for 18 years until they closed their operation here in NC.  Anyway, when I started, they sent a group of us to Japan for 6 months to train. During that time, my Japanese friends took me all over the place, including Nagasaki, one of the places that we dropped the atomic bomb on.  And like us, they have a memorial and a park located at the epicenter where the bomb hit. I wondered how the Japanese people there thought of me visiting that museum and taking in all of the information and displays there.  Well the folks could not have been more gracious and welcoming to me.  And I add that to one of the many awesome experiences that I have taken in. 

I saw many Japanese tourist there in 2002 - 2004 when I lived there. They were extremely respectful.

There were many there on the day I visited the Memorial as well.

I was there in the mid 90's  I think the Japanese are very respectful in most cases.  They were very obviously absent back them.  I'm glade they now include the memorial as part of their tourist activities.

They still are that way...  

How powerful and moving. Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Thanks Kelly.  It is something that I will remember for a long time.

That is an amazing write up with wonderful pictures.  Thanks so much for sharing.  We did Pearl Harbor but did not know that you had to reserve ahead of time (Ray had done it several years before and they didn't have to reserve then), so we didn't get to go out.  But we saw everything else, including the name of a distant cousin of Ray's, whose remains were just recovered within the past several years.  Ray's brother was contacted by the government for DNA testing to confirm that he was who they thought he was, which he was.

All that is to say, it is an amazing place and you did it very just service with this report.  Thanks.

Thanks Leslie for your kind comments... It is cool in one respect that Ray has a connection with Pearl. not cool that his relative lost his life there.  It is definitely a moving experience.  I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but when we were out on the Memorial, there was an old guy, who I think was stationed in Pearl during the attack, and he was out chatting with the visitors.  Pretty soon, they will all die off, and we will lose that bit of history.

I was wondering if you were along with us on this journey...  Even though I did not partake (I know, the cardinal sin), there are at least 3 machines that I know of in Hawaii.  There is one at Aulani, one across the street at the small supermarket and one of all places, at the Dole Pineapple Plantation.

As for the light fixtures, I took those especially with you in mind...

Disney, blew it out of the water on this resort... I could see them building something like this back in Florida at WDW... Just not over by the Fort!

I am reading this trip report with new eyes.

I learned from Twin #2 yesterday that Disney CM's get 70% off on Aulani rooms.

That is not a typo.

The wheels are turning.

TCD

Let's move on shall we... I still have a few more things to tell everyone...

So, once I made it back to shore from the Memorial, I boarded a bus that took me to the other side of Ford Island, to where the USS Bowfin was tied up.  I'm sorry to say, that I do not have any pictures of the sub, but will mention a few interesting facts about it.

The Bowfin was launched exactly one year to the day after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1942, so they nicknamed her the "Pearl Harbor Avenger". Out of her 9 patrols during the war, she sank a total of 44 ships, both merchant and military.

If you ever get a chance to visit a submarine, by all means do it.  It is unreal that a group of men, actually sailed inside one of these things... I expect it was very cramped, hot, and dirty work back then...

The Bowfin makes the 4th sub I have visited.  I have been on the USS Clamagore in Charleston, SC, The USS Croaker in Buffalo, NY, The USS Pompanito, in San Fran, and now the USS Bowfin.

Okay, now on to the USS Missouri, "The Mighty Mo"

DSC01063.jpg

Many reading along may or may not remember their High School history, but this was the ship where the Japanese surrendered WWII.  

Here is the actual spot on the deck the surrender papers were signed that day...

DSC01078.jpg

The big guns

DSC01079.jpg

You can see the Arizona Memorial just off the bow of the Missouri.  I thought this was very fitting because it shows the beginning and the end of WWII.

One last pic of the Missouri

DSC01073.jpg

Short update today... Got to run and get on a conference call. Will try to get back later on today...

That is not a typo.

The wheels are turning.

TCD

I was just getting ready to hit the close button when I saw your post.... Boy, you had better jump on that if you can!  Does it include all rooms or just the rooms on the "hotel" side? 

I'm not sure what one of the DVC rooms would go for, but that would be a sweet deal if you could work that out.

One last pic of the Missouri

DSC01073.jpg

I love that photo!  Great shot!

I was just getting ready to hit the close button when I saw your post.... Boy, you had better jump on that if you can!  Does it include all rooms or just the rooms on the "hotel" side? 

I'm not sure what one of the DVC rooms would go for, but that would be a sweet deal if you could work that out.

I'm not sure, but I would guess it's on the hotel side.  Which is fine with me.

Whoa!!! If you let that discount go unused you are crazy!

Maybe.  I haven't looked at flights yet.  Disney doesn't run an airline-so no discount there.

TCD

I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but when we were out on the Memorial, there was an old guy, who I think was stationed in Pearl during the attack, and he was out chatting with the visitors.  Pretty soon, they will all die off, and we will lose that bit of history.

That is a very timely observation.  The last surviving crew member of the B29 that dropped to first atomic bomb on Japan died yesterday at age 93.  He was 24 when he flew that mission. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/29/last-member-of-enola-gay-crew-dies/13333153/

My father-in-law also flew on a B29 crew, and was stationed on the same island that the Enola Gay flew from.  He passed a few years ago.  I think he was the last living member of his flight crew.

TCD

That is not a typo.

The wheels are turning.

TCD

You.Must.Go.  Really.  Y'all would love it.

Still loving this report!

Whoa!!! If you let that discount go unused you are crazy!

I think we should take up a collection to send the TCD crew to Hawaii....  I have a couple of quarters and a Canadian penny that I will start things off with.... So who's with me?

I love that photo!  Great shot!

I'm not sure, but I would guess it's on the hotel side.  Which is fine with me.

Maybe.  I haven't looked at flights yet.  Disney doesn't run an airline-so no discount there.

TCD

Like the old saying goes, "pictures don't do it justice", and that certainly applies here... With the breeze blowing all of the American Flags, and the size of that ship is just massive...  There was no way to really capture it all in a pic.

If and when you begin looking at flights, look at airlines such as Hawaiian Airlines out of San Jose, or Alaskan Airlines out of Seattle... I have heard that there are sometime deals to be had on those airlines... If there is a way to cheap out on the flights from the east coast to the west, then catch some other airline to Hawaii, you may get some better deals... I bet 'ole Jason could work something out...

The other visible ship is the USS Utah. It is on the opposite side of Ford Island from the USS Missouri. If I remember right it rolled over and was not retrievable. Not a lot of it is above water and most people have forgotten about it.

You know Red, now that I think about it, I think it was the Utah instead of the Oklahoma... But in either case, I didn't get a chance to see it.

That is a very timely observation.  The last surviving crew member of the B29 that dropped to first atomic bomb on Japan died yesterday at age 93.  He was 24 when he flew that mission. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/29/last-member-of-enola-gay-crew-dies/13333153/

My father-in-law also flew on a B29 crew, and was stationed on the same island that the Enola Gay flew from.  He passed a few years ago.  I think he was the last living member of his flight crew.

TCD

I just read that article...  Not sure if you read one of my earlier comments, but I guess I have more connections with WWII that I thought of.  No known relatives of mine were directly involved, however, I have now been to Pearl, where it all began.  I have visited the site in Nagasaki where we dropped one of the bombs, and I have visited the Smithsonian and seen the Enola Gay on display....

You.Must.Go.  Really.  Y'all would love it.

Still loving this report!

He should go if at all possible....  

Thanks for still hanging with me... this thing is taking longer to complete than I thought it would...

Okay, let's get back on our regular schedule... at least of Hawaii...

If you remember, when we all first tried to get out to the Arizona Memorial, we couldn't because of the high winds, so we bummed around Pearl City a bit, headed back to the Aulani for a while to laze around the pool, then it was time to head out to our Luau.

Like others on this board, there has to be a planner, and I am the one nominated for that job in our family.... So when we decided to go to a Luau, I wanted to make sure, one, to get the most for my money, and two, choose something that everyone would like.  So off I go to Trip Advisor, then Yelp, then Google, but instead of it getting clear picture of which one I should choose, the task seemed to get much more difficult.

Now we could have taken the convenient way out and just walked to Paradise Cove, which is about a block down the street from Aulani, but I had read that the food amounted to nothing more than cafeteria food and they ran people through there like animals at feeding time.  So I passed on that one.

Well, Claudine comes to my rescue... She is a nurse at an outpatient surgery center here in our area, so she makes a lot of small talk with her patients as she gets them ready for surgery.  Well one day she comes home with a list in her hand of places that we need to go and see, as well as places we should go to eat.  She and a couple of her patient's family members were chatting and I guess the subject of our trip came up.  They told her that one of their son's lived on Oahu and they have visited him several times over the years, and they have all the information that we need.  They told us, that if we are going to a luau, then we need to go to Germaine's.  Germaine's?!!  All I could think of was that one of the Jackson 5, had finally found his calling and moved to Hawaii.

So, I booked us for a luau at Germaine's

I have to admit, the trip there was interesting to say the least... Its only a 15 minute drive from Aulani, but you have to go through a heavy industrial area to get there... But once there, you wouldn't even know it.

For the price, you get the show (of course) an all you can eat meal, and two free alcoholic drinks (which we didn't use because we don't drink). 

Anyway, there are picnic tables lined end to end for several row in front of the stage... There is a Hawaiian band playing music while the hoards are on their way in.  

So once everyone is seated, they announce that they are getting ready to remove the pig from the underground oven and asks for everyone to step over to see it come out.

As you can imagine, this scene plays out like any day at a WDW parade.... Just as you think you have secured that awesome viewing place, someone steps in front of you and takes it away...  These pictures are a result of me holding my camera in the air.  I gained that technique from watching all of the iPad photographers at WDW...   :hah:

Anyway, here is the oven, before they open it up

DSC01083.jpg

Now as they are going through the motions, they are explaining what they are doing.

They are beginning to open up the oven

DSC01086.jpg

The pig is covered with banana leaves, surrounded by coals and wrapped in chicken wire

DSC01087.jpg

The meat is out of the ground

DSC01090.jpg

I was trying to see if it was a whole pig or what, but it looks as though they just cooked smaller cuts of pork, or just the hams or shoulders... I couldn't really tell.  Either way, I wasn't going to admire it, I was going to eat it.

No food pictures of kitties, sorry!  They had several serving lines set up and you just went up and helped yourself.  I think on the serving line were the following:  Pineapple Coleslaw, Greenbean Salad, Regular Salad, White Rice, Potato Macaroni Salad (this was really good), Lomilomi Salmon (the best way to describe this was that it was like salmon salsa), Teriyaki Beef, Hawaiian Chicken, Roast Pork, Fried Fish, Haupia, which is like a coconut pudding with a consistency of tofu, Chocolate and Vanilla Cake.

For feeding this many folks, the food was really good.  I was thinking it would be like the Golden Corral at best, but even the girls enjoyed the food...

After we ate, the show started.  It basically was different dances from all across Polynesia.  On several occasions, they brought people up on stage to learn how to hula, there was one guy who proposed to his girl, and the kids were involved as well with some of the dances... All in all, I think this was more of an authenic version of the luau, but can't be certain, because this and one they have at the Polynesian are the only ones that  I have ever been to.

DSC01091.jpg

Hmmm. That luau looks a little too crowded for me.  Does Aulani not offer a luau?

TCD

They have something similar, which we did go to... It's called the Starlit Hui,  It lasts about an hour, there is no food or drink involved, and best of all it's free.  I think they perform this about every other night out on a lawn area behind the DVC wing.  You just walk up, they give you a straw mat to sit on and just enjoy the show.  There are hula dancers, Hawaiian songs, some other traditional dancing, as well as some character interactions.  Claudine wanted to go to a "real" Luau instead....

This TR is absolutely great Duane.

The Pearl Harbor pics were breathtaking.

I long to visit there someday.

The night Aulani pics were good too. They kind of reminded me of being at the Poly at night but maybe better?

Lastly, I wish i had a 70% CM discount at my disposal. TCD, you should really go if it is within your reach. Airfare can be brutal though, so that has to be considered too....but dang 70%!

They have something similar, which we did go to... It's called the Starlit Hui,  It lasts about an hour, there is no food or drink involved, and best of all it's free.  I think they perform this about every other night out on a lawn area behind the DVC wing.  You just walk up, they give you a straw mat to sit on and just enjoy the show.  There are hula dancers, Hawaiian songs, some other traditional dancing, as well as some character interactions.  Claudine wanted to go to a "real" Luau instead....

Our balcony overlooked the Starlit Hui.  We never actually went but watched it several times from above while we were there.  Loved it.  Bad blurry picture, but it was fun to watch.  The kids in particular seemed to love it.

P1080137_zps34f19ce7.jpg

We actually went to Paradise Cove one night.  I thought about shopping around but the convenience of the location got me.  The food definitely left something to be desired but the show was great.

Keep it coming!

I love the pictures of all the flags on the ship! 

I still remember the luau when we went to Hawaii when I was a kid. I'll go back... someday. 

That is not a typo.

The wheels are turning.

TCD

Do it! 

Great updates! I'd like to hear more about your trip to Nagasaki sometime. Have you ever watched "Trinity and Beyond"? It is a documentary of the atomic bomb age and includes a lot of military footage. Best of all, it is narrated by William Shatner!

Great pictures of Pearl Harbor. If I ever make it out to Aulani, I would definitely love to visit there. When we went to Hiroshima, the people were so nice. One lady stopped us and wanted to pray together. It's really something to see all of the remnants of war. We didn't see too many Americans the day that we went, but I'm sure there's plenty that visit.

Hey everyone, just wanted to pop in to let everyone know that I have not finished this thing yet... Been working for the woMAN for the last couple of weekends in the remote country of Miami... On my way home now courtesy of my friends at Southwest... (working on my next trip out west..)

I will try to post an update tomorrow and hopefully finish up... Take care!

Love the report so far - looking forward to the rest.  Maybe I can start setting some $$ aside and might be able to afford a trip like this in time for my 50th wedding anniversary!  Sad actually, we considered Hawaii for our honeymoon, could not afford it then and jokingly mentioned that we would do it by our 25th wedding anniversary.

Boy did that time (and money) fly through our fingertips!

The only luau we've ever done was the one at the Poly.  This may be an unpopular opinion....but we were really disappointed in it.  (I know, shocking, right?)  Anyways, I'd like to go to a real one someday.  But not with Vincent Price.  

I almost spit out my coffee on that one.  Thanks for the laugh.

Your pictures are great, really enjoying them. Although Pearl Harbor is such a sad part of history it must be so interesting to be there.  And I think the luau looks really good, it's good to experience some things that aren't 'Disney-fied.'

I do have a funny Pearl Harbor story. I took my parents there once but because I lived there i opted to stay in the car and read. There are limited tickets. A family walked by the car and someone looked at the license plate. "Look they are from Oregon I wonder if they drove here". I about fell over laughing.