Dreams Come True...

Okay guys, I know I promised to get this thing back on track day before yesterday, and obviously I failed at that attempt, so I am logged in and am gonna give it my best shot to see how far I can before the phone rings...

Love the report so far - looking forward to the rest.  Maybe I can start setting some $$ aside and might be able to afford a trip like this in time for my 50th wedding anniversary!  Sad actually, we considered Hawaii for our honeymoon, could not afford it then and jokingly mentioned that we would do it by our 25th wedding anniversary.

Boy did that time (and money) fly through our fingertips!

Dan, thanks for hanging in with me so far... Yeah, you need to check those couch cushions for loose change more often so you can take your bride...  And for a trip like this, I would definitely not try to pack for her as a surprise... 

I almost spit out my coffee on that one.  Thanks for the laugh.

Your pictures are great, really enjoying them. Although Pearl Harbor is such a sad part of history it must be so interesting to be there.  And I think the luau looks really good, it's good to experience some things that aren't 'Disney-fied.'

Thanks for the compliment, and I appreciate you still hanging with me...   I am really glad that I got to experience Pearl Harbor, it was definitely one of the major highlights of the trip...  I have always told my daughter that in order to continue to move forward, you have to know where you have been and what you have experienced.  I am glad that places like this still exist to portray experiences and sacrifice that this country has gone through.

I do have a funny Pearl Harbor story. I took my parents there once but because I lived there i opted to stay in the car and read. There are limited tickets. A family walked by the car and someone looked at the license plate. "Look they are from Oregon I wonder if they drove here". I about fell over laughing.

You know we saw several cars with "mainland" license plates on them as well...  Our comment was they sure did drive a long way to get here...

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am going to have to start putting some $$ away for a trip like this some day. Those photos are so nice! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, let's move forward before I forget some of the things that we did...

At this point in our trip we had all gotten to experience each of our chosen excursions, Jessie got to swim with the sharks, I got to visit Pearl Harbor, Claudine and Ash got their spa treatments.  So if I remember correctly it was Sunday morning, so this was our last full day in paradise...

Remember back when I mentioned that one of Claudine's patients had told her of some places that we had to visit? Well Leonard's Bakery was one of those places...  So we loaded up the Jeep with my trusty iPhone and Google Maps in hand, and off we went to find this place.

For anyone, especially in south, knows that Krispy Kreme is what all doughnut joints are judged by...  Now I know all of our "northern" brothers and sisters have other places they use as a doughnut standard, and I appreciate that, but since I am as southern as grits and gravy, we will use KK as the standard in this TR...

Anyway, we found this place and notice the line was backed out the door...  I had to dump the girls out at the curb and circle the block at least three time to find a parking spot.  This place was definitely the KK of Hawaii. I think I read somewhere that this place has been in business since 1952...  So with a line out the door, and been in business that long, this must be the spot.

DSC01143.jpg

The big thing here are Portuguese doughnuts called Malasadas.  They are basically doughnuts without the holes, coated and/or filled with all kinds of yummy fillings... They look like the cream filled doughnuts you find at Dunkin, but I will tell you with my hand up, they are 10,000 times better!

DSC01144.jpg

One of the main reasons the line is backed out of the door is that they make these things to order... You will not find a wire basket on a shelf behind the cashier loaded with these nuggets of deliciousness, they take your order and cook them right there... I would almost, but not entirely say, that these would give the former Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll a run for its money!

Now that we were all sugared up, the girls decided that they needed to get some tee-shirts to take back home... and the place they wanted to get them from was back over on the North Shore... so off we went..

During our trip there, I tried to get some pics of the surrounding countryside...

I think this was on our way toward Honolulu from Aulani

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01146.jpg

We're almost to the North Shore

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

Then finally the village of Haleiwa...

DSC01157.jpg

Now I know it seems like we had just left Leornard's, but at this point in our day, we had traveled around quite a bit, and were hungry again. 

I'm sure where you live, the food truck craze has possibly become quite popular, but I think in Hawaii, they have been around for a while because they are everywhere.

Just as you come into Haleiwa, there is dirt lot full of food trucks, so we decided to check it out...

DSC01155.jpg

One of the main "headliners" that I kept seeing while doing my research was Giovanni's Shrimp Truck.  This seemed to be one of the more popular locations.  In fact 'ole Giovanni is so popular, he has a couple more truck locations around the island...

DSC01162.jpg

And for $6.00, this is what Claudine got...  Shrimp Scampi and rice

DSC01164.jpg

Even the Hippies got in on the food truck craze...  I took this for TCD because I knew is love for VW buses!

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

Ashleigh and I went back to our old standby, The Grass Skirt, and got the exact same thing we had earlier in the week... We don't mess with success!

You saw earlier what my pork plate looked like, but this is Ash's teriyaki chicken burger...  

DSC01167.jpg

After we were sufficiently stuffed, we struck out in search of tee shirts...  We were making good progress until I got a whif and sight of this!

DSC01170.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

This guy had it going on!  The chickens were rotating over these coals and the smells coming off that trailer was amazing.  After consuming 3/4 of a pig at the Grass Skirt, there was no way that I could eat another thing... So reluctantly, I had to keep walking...

After the girls had made their shirt purchases we decided to head back across to "our side" of the island...

Ray, here's one for you... Someone who drove all the way from Oregon

DSC01148.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

The drive into Ko'Olina

DSC01136.jpg

Once we got back, we knew our time on the islands were drawing near the end... but had to head down to the beach for our last sunset...

DSC01221.jpg

Its now Monday morning and time to begin the long journey back home...  We basically followed our same travel plan, just in reverse...  United back to SFO, then SW back home.  The only part that sux about the trip this time, was that we were going back against time...

Our flight home left Honolulu left at about 2:30 in the afternoon and with the flight time and tail wind, that put us into SFO at about 11:00 PST.  We caught the hotel shuttle to our room (notice I said room, as in singular... what a shock!) for about 4 hours of nap time, then up and off to catch our SW flight back across the country to home.

So that concludes our journey to the real "Polynesian"...   I would definitely take this trip again in a heartbeat!  There is so much to see and do at the resort and on the island... If we had more time and more money, I would have like to hop over to some of the other islands to take a look around...

So with that, I bid you all Aloha and Mahalo!

Great update, Duane.

Man, those French hippies wrecked that perfectly good VW bus.  Dang hippies.

I was hoping to hear some mention of the lagoon they have at Aulani.  When the resort opened, I remember seeing videos of people paddleboarding and snorkeling in the lagoon at the resort.  I thought that was a big attraction there.  Is it?  Or no big deal?

TCD

Loved the report! Thanks for sharing. It's such a beautiful place, and I pray that the hurricane heading that way is not as bad as it sounds like it could be. 

Would it be silly of me to fly all the way to Hawaii just for doughnuts? 

Yes. Better plan... we find out when Lou will be back in GA, and we all meet at Dutch Monkey. Cheaper and you won't be sorry! All from scratch including local fruit, daily. 

I am enjoying this report. Thank you for posting about the Pearl Harbor. Very moving, I had tears going down my face as I was reading. I would love to go visit there someday.

Now, on to read more of your report.

Lori, you need to try to get over there to see it in person... I am usually "that guy" who always has his emotions in check... But as I walked around the Memorial tears were streaming down my face... It is indeed a very moving place.

Great update, Duane.

Man, those French hippies wrecked that perfectly good VW bus.  Dang hippies.

I was hoping to hear some mention of the lagoon they have at Aulani.  When the resort opened, I remember seeing videos of people paddleboarding and snorkeling in the lagoon at the resort.  I thought that was a big attraction there.  Is it?  Or no big deal?

TCD

The first time we visited Haleiwa, that crepe van wasn't there, but when we went back on Sunday, he was definitely set up for business.  When I saw that, I had to get a pic for you!

As for the lagoons, Ko'Olina has 4 that are all man made from what I understand.  They are very noticeable from the air as the planes headed into HNL make their final turns over these lagoons as they land.  Anyway, here are a couple of pictures that I harvested from the web that shows more of an overview

KoOlina.jpg

As you can see by the red "X" this is where Aulani is finally contstructed

This is how the resort is laid out...

ko-olina-beach-villa-map.jpg

There are many things at Aulani to do on the beach as well as in the Waikalohe Valley...  Some are free and in true Disney fashion, there are things there to separate you from your money.  They ran quite the rental stand at the beach.  You could rent paddleboards, snorkel sets, kayaks, double covered beach chairs, veranda, and even a couple of lanais. There were also many things you could get for free at the beach as well... Things like regular beach chairs with umbrellas, sand toys, life jackets and boogie boards.

Even though we did not partake of any of the beach experiences at Aulani, the paddleboarding did look like a lot of fun as the water in the lagoons was always calm.  Also being on the leeward side of the island even further kept the water in the lagoons very "lake like".

We did pay to do the snorkel tank one day, I think it was like $15 for the day, or $20 for a length of stay.  Either way, if you paid for the snorkel tank, you just had to show your stamped wrist band at the beach and you could pick up snorkel gear there for no extra charge.

Here are a couple more shots of the lagoons that I took from different angles...

This is in between the "Disney beach" and the Marriott Resort beach.

DSC00740.jpg

Just about the center of the lagoon

DSC00733.jpg

You can see the rocks at the "mouth" of the lagoon keeps the water somewhat calm

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

This is from over on the other side of the lagoon... Claudine and I were out for a early morning walk... hence no one is really out at this hour.  Kind of like those peaceful morning walks down by Bay Lake looking toward the Contemporary...

DSC01021.jpg

Anyway,  I hope that answers some of your questions about the lagoon...  

Would it be silly of me to fly all the way to Hawaii just for doughnuts? 

Bring me one (or a dozen), Please!

TCD

I would love to say that I have done crazier things, but flying half way around the world for some fried dough wouldn't be one of them.... But, I would be up for the challenge.  The malasadas were very good, but so is a trip to the Krispy Kreme when the "Hot" sign is on...!

218626523_2f64c3dfc3_o.jpg

Awesome report. Loved seeing and hearing about everything. Thanks!

Aulani should be your next destination... and  make sure you take Patrick with you!

Great report Duane. Those doughnuts looked mouth watering good!

I think you should go again too......and provide some bonus material.

What? Who cares if it's half a world away?

That's a great idea!  Just send those donations to..  Duane Miller, 3232 Summer... ahh don't worry about it, we'll get there again sometime.

Now that I have the "lay of the land", I would love to go back sometime and do some things that we didn't have a chance to do...

What were your donuts filled with?

I'm a original glazed kinda girl.

We had an assortment... While I was out scouting for a parking spot, Claudine got to talking to a "local" who was in there, and she told her what to order.  I think we had cinnamon and sugar, coconut, chocolate and Li Hing.  Li Hing was some kind of Hawaiian flavor the lady said that we may not like, but needed to try...  I liked it and it tasted something like a tropical berry flavor...

Loved the report! Thanks for sharing. It's such a beautiful place, and I pray that the hurricane heading that way is not as bad as it sounds like it could be. 

Yes. Better plan... we find out when Lou will be back in GA, and we all meet at Dutch Monkey. Cheaper and you won't be sorry! All from scratch including local fruit, daily. 

You are so welcome Kelly... I could see the "Dawg" family at Aulani now living it up!  Z would have the time of his life just at the resort.

The Dutch Monkey sounds like the place to be... Whenever I travel, I try to find more of the local places to eat and save the chains when all else fails...

Grab me one of those chickens since you'll be close.   They looked awesome...

Man, you don't know how bummed I was once I saw that chicken wagon... But I was already stuffed from the pork that I ate at the Grass Skirt.

Great report! Hope you took your clubs, because there are some awesome (cheap) public courses right along the beach.

Was there for one epic trip in the early nineties. Sadly, our wonderful government was closed down and I missed the Arizona.

Thanks Duane for sharing your trip.  Started reading a few days ago and just finished (life gets in the way sometimes).  Have sent the Pearl Harbor part to DH.  He was stationed in Hawaii during part of his time in the Marines (Viet Nam era).  He has said he would like to take me there.  From your report it sure looks like a wonderful place to visit.

I loved the flag photos, especially the one flying against the blue sky (and a few white clouds), so pretty.

If you go back for the fried dough, bring me some back too!!  And a chunk of that chicken!!

Sounds like a great last day.  Thanks for the lagoon pics.  They are beautiful.

By this time during our trip, Hawaii had really grown on me, and I wasn't really ready to leave...  I had the same feeling that we ALWAYS have during our Fort stays.... "if we could just have one more day"... but we knew we had to get back to reality... 

Great report! Hope you took your clubs, because there are some awesome (cheap) public courses right along the beach.

Was there for one epic trip in the early nineties. Sadly, our wonderful government was closed down and I missed the Arizona.

Sadly, I am not a golfer, and if I were, I don't think I would have been able to bring the clubs because of all of the "other" luggage we managed to bring...

Thanks for the lagoon info, Duane!

The beach looks nice, but kind of small, as does the lagoon.

But, it certainly is gorgeous.

TCD

The lagoons were on the smallish side... Other than walking around them, we never really took the time to hang out there and enjoy some of the activities.  

Thanks Duane for sharing your trip.  Started reading a few days ago and just finished (life gets in the way sometimes).  Have sent the Pearl Harbor part to DH.  He was stationed in Hawaii during part of his time in the Marines (Viet Nam era).  He has said he would like to take me there.  From your report it sure looks like a wonderful place to visit.

I loved the flag photos, especially the one flying against the blue sky (and a few white clouds), so pretty.

If you go back for the fried dough, bring me some back too!!  And a chunk of that chicken!!

Thanks for reading along Gretchen.  That visit to Pearl Harbor was certainly one of the major highlights of the trip for me.  If at all possible, you and your husband need to try to get there... No matter how hard you try, I don't think there is a way not to get emotional when you visit.

As for the flags, that picture does absolutely no justice to that scene.  The walkway between those flags and the sheer size of that ship, there is no way to portray the way it really looks.

Now, if you are really wanting some Malasadas, they will ship you some from Hawaii.... I went back and looked at the website and found where you could order from them.