Plastic covering to protect the carpet

You know the stuff I'm talking about.  All the RV dealers use it in the new campers to protect the carpet from  foot traffic.  I've seen it in hundreds of models on the RV lot.  I figured, if they use it.....it must be ok.   WRONG!!!   Over the past 37yrs we have owned just about every type of RV.  Truck camper, motorhome, and 5th wheels.   2yrs. ago we did something we'd never done before.   We bought a brand new....ordered through the factory 5th wheel.   We were thrilled and wanted to protect our "baby".   So, I put that plastic adhesive clear covering down.   When our vacation was over.....I removed  the plastic.  You know where I'm going here??  The carpet is now sticky!  Any dirt that got on it was gonna stick.  I'm not happy.  I called the local carpet cleaners out.  They told me...Yep....our hot water will clean that right out.  Ah...no, it didn't.  When the floor dried out it still felt tacky.  That was $75 wasted. 

It's my fault.  I put the plastic down,   Only thing I knew to do, was buy lots of throw rugs to cover it up.  Wasn't the best solution but, rugs, no shoes inside the camper, and diligent vacuuming kept the carpet clean for the next season.  

We've had the camper in to the dealer the last few weeks getting some warranty work done.  Obviously, the workers were not gonna treat my floor the way I had.  When we got the camper home and opened the slides the carpet in the dinning area was very, very dirty.  (they had worked on the ceiling in that area)  I didn't feel it was their fault.  I had made the mistake.   My husband knew how sick and upset I was at this point.   He called the manufacturer of the plastic and explained our problem.  We were instructed to have professional cleaners out again and they needed to pre-treat it with a citrus solvent.  Then the cleaners needed to use a hot water extraction.  

O.k.  I had a different company out this morning to do the above treatment. $85 this time.  The carpet "looks" clean, and smells wonderful but I have to wait a few days till its dry to see if it works.  Sorry for the long story....just wanted to let others know about my mistake and hopefully don't have to learn the hard way like I did .....TO NOT USE PLASTIC!

Susan

Update!!  Yesterday, the carpet felt dry to the touch and seemed o.k.   This morning  I was down on my hands and knees crawling all over my carpet and I'm thrilled to say that I didn't find one spot sticky!!   Sure seems like the manufacture should put this warning and fix on the label of the plastic.   Perhaps RV dealers know about this cure?? One certainly hopes they treat the carpets before being sold.