Labor Day Weekend 2014

Another thing we saw this weekend which we havent seen or at least noticed before, was a lot of people with extra canopies up just for parking their golfcarts under. Which in general I think is a great idea, however when they stick halfway out into the road it got to be a little much.

We usually do that because it rains so often, but we also keep it on our site. 

We usually do that because it rains so often, but we also keep it on our site.

We pull the cart under an EZ-Up, but it is most definitely on our site.

We will be getting one its a great idea, but will be making sure it stays on our site. Probably because there were so many people and a holiday weekend, but there seemed to be a lot of inconsiderate (maybe the the nice way of putting it) people this trip.

Lucky for us the people directly around us were not those people.

Sunday

We had driven past the small outlet on 535 the day before and decided to go back so mom could get some shoes from easy spirit. We have one here in town but it was so much easier to be able to park right in front of the stores unlike the big outlet here or the other in orlando. After she picked up some shoes we headed off to AK.

This was only the second time we had been to AK but I was able to snag some FPs for Dinosaur, Everest, and the rapids. While on our way back to ride Dinosaur we were stopped by a cm who was trying hard to get people to go down and see Daisy Duck. We passed on seeing Daisy Duck to get to the ride. Im not sure about the ride, I can say I have been on it but not sure I would stand in line for it or schedule another FP to ride it again. After getting the ride we decided that it was hot and we didnt really want to be there any longer even though the park wasnt busy at all. So I cancled the rest of our FPs and we headed back out. We were stopped again by a different cm telling us there was no line if we wanted to see Daisy Duck. Ok, now I'm starting to feel bad for Daisy Duck so down the long winding path we go to see her. Youll never guess who we passed about half way down the path going the other direction, if you thought another fiend your wrong, Daisy Duck! But we were assured by her handlers that she would be right back and she was. 20140831_124715_zpsidjbrhco.jpg

After Daisy it was back to the Fort. Did I mention it was hot?

20140830_095705_zps73btejav.jpg

I had to have a talk with Dixie about hogging the fan! We just relaxed had some lunch and napped the rest of the afternoon.

I woke up wanting the Banana Chocolate Creme Brulee from Kona that I had been to full from the burger to have the day before. So not thinking we hopped on the launch to the Contemporary, now of course we got the launch that was heading to the lodge first but we were in no hurry so a little boat ride is always nice.

20140831_185307_zpspeyst66s.jpg

20140831_185340_zpsrepquxbo.jpg

20140831_185444_zpsw0up1vrs.jpg

Now the last picture is of the boat on discovery island which I shouldnt have been able to get as I was on the other side of the launch. But our captain decided to spend about 15 mins chasing after a flip flop, before asking if anyone had anyplace to be. After getting a yes from several people he decided they had plenty of time (5 mins till their reservations) and he should try to get it 2 more times before heading to the lodge.

Next up, my thoughts on ADRs, what do we do next, and good view but not the Fort!

The dog in front of the fan :rofl:

Was the flip flop random or from someone on the boat?!

The flip flop was random, something he had seen on one of his other trips.

I like the dog too.

Derek-This is the first I've heard of Dixie.  What kind of dog is Dixie, and do you have any more photos?

And, did the Captain even retrieve the flip flop?

TCD

Dixie is a 7 yo pound puppy, officially Boxer mix though the vet and I think probably full Boxer. Im not sure I have any other pictures of her from this trip, but Ill try to get a few uploaded for the next update.

No he didn't get it on our trip.

The flip flop was random, something he had seen on one of his other trips.

Dixie is a 7 yo pound puppy, officially Boxer mix though the vet and I think probably full Boxer. Im not sure I have any other pictures of her from this trip, but Ill try to get a few uploaded for the next update.

No he didn't get it on our trip.

Well, you just went way up in my book.  The TCD gang loves boxers.

As far as the flip-flop retrieval goes-that was pretty inconsiderate of the boat captain to delay a boat full of people so he could try to retrieve a random flip-flop.  Wow.

TCD

Okay... in.  Late, but I guess that's better than never :)

Great trip report!    Umm... bat house? Where. Have. I.  Been?   I did not know that this existed at the Fort.  Not that I want to see it but... where is it??  I appreciate that bats eat mosquitoes (yay!), but get nervous about rabies and other diseases they might carry (not yay).

As far as the flip-flop retrieval goes-that was pretty inconsiderate of the boat captain to delay a boat full of people so he could try to retrieve a random flip-flop.  Wow.

TCD

I agree.  Not very magical.

Okay... in.  Late, but I guess that's better than never :)

Great trip report!    Umm... bat house? Where. Have. I.  Been?   I did not know that this existed at the Fort.  Not that I want to see it but... where is it??  I appreciate that bats eat mosquitoes (yay!), but get nervous about rabies and other diseases they might carry (not yay).

I learned of it from read a TCD trip report, its over by the dam behind the 300 loop on the other side of the canal. I like watching bats come out in the evening unfortunately we didnt see any this trip hopefully by Christmas there will be some.

I agree.  Not very magical.

Well we finally made it to the Poly and Kona "Do you have a reservation" hmm no. So we are told to come back in 30 mins and they will be starting a list then, ok sounds good. So we wonder around the Poly for 30 mins and head back up to Kona where we are told "oh now we wont be starting a list for at least another hour".

Im sure ADRs work for some but we are not planners. I guess gone are the days of being able to eat at any non quick serve with ADRs, we wont talk about the several empty tables that were open. Dont get me wrong being able to make reservations is great but couldnt there be a few tables set aside for people with out reservations or standby lists for if people with reservations dont show up?

Well now im hungry so I get on the app and look for something, mom finds the quick serve at the contemporary and say they have some sort of chicken artichoke flatbread. So I look it up on my phone under, dinner, lunch, breakfast, its not showing up anywhere. Close out her app, reopen it, look it up, and sure enough its still showing on hers. So back to the Contemporary we head, guess what no chicken artichoke flatbread on the menu. 8_RichtoneHDR_zpsmj4wfmpa.jpg.html]20140831_221218_RichtoneHDR_zpsmj4wfmpa.

20140831_220945_RichtoneHDR_zpsbu86exff.

Going up a few floors also got us above the monorail. Was a great view of the fireworks but it wasnt our out of the way spot at the Fort.

We decided to call it a night and head back to the Fort as I couldnt remember what time the launchs ran till.

We got down to the dock just in time to watch all of the people come off of the Pirate fireworks cruise. They all looked like they had a blast.

When the launch came in there was some commotion about the the lodge but couldnt figure out what was going on. We were all told if anyone was headed to the lodge they would have to walk to the MK and take the bus. Looking over at the But there were a few other things that looked good so we ordered, this I where I got lost. What do we do now Im standing there with a printout in my hand but no further instructions of any kind. I assume like several people around that we just wait for our food to come out then go pay. (this is the first time we have done any of the quick srve places like this). Finally the cm at the counter tells the group us included standing around that we must go pay first then get a buzzer and wait for our food.

Sorry no food pictures, but it was good. I had a blackened chicken flatbread and mom had the pulled pork flatbread.

It was getting time for the fireworks so we decided to head out on the balcony of the contemporary to watch them. It was getting a little crowded out there so we went up a few floors.

20140831_221024_RichtoneHDR_zpskkzs7bua.

[url=http://s928.photobucket.com/user/cortezcapt82/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140831_22121lodge you could not see any lights on the dock. Come to find out the lights had quit working the day before in the rain and the thought they had them fixed and didnt figure out till dark that they were not working.

Made it back to the Fort and decided to call it a night. I normally like to get most of our outside suff packed up the night before so theres not as much to do in the morning, but we didnt have much out so I decided to wait till morning.

Woke up Monday morning and started packing up after getting everything loaded up and hooked up it was time to head out.

Mom took the golfcart to the overflow parking lot while I followed behind her to get the cart loaded up. On the way out they had the cm area opened up with an sign saying express exit and cm's standing there trying to get everyone to exit that way. I noticed that it looked like they had the golfcart return set up and staffed well enough to gwt people in and out quickly. I had heard from someone that they golfcarts had all been rented out that weekend.

The parking lot was fairly open though the were parking people in the pasture next to the exit.

20140901_104548_RichtoneHDR_zpsi4mygbef.

I noticed they were directing anyone wanting to park over that way.

Got the golfcart all loaded up and headed out. There was a cm standing near the exit gate waving people through with the gate never closing.

We had a nice relaxing weekend sad to leave the Fort but we will be back in December if not before. You never know when a quick trip might happen.

A couple things I forgot:

When we first checked in the return gate was open and working, however from that evening on it was blocked off and everyone had to check in with the guard.

There was a sign posted saying that you could only have one vehicle in the parkimg lot per campsite.

Oh and I forgot to post the picture of our lantern.

20140831_095409_zpstbrrmr9a.jpg

The sign mom digitized and embroidered herself.

The sign is awesome!  She did a great job.  

That's too bad about Kona.  We've enjoyed it there when we've gone but I've always had an ADR.  I also wish you could just walk up and get a table but I guess those days are gone at most WDW restaurants.  I make ADR's because we only come once every 1-2 years so I don't like leaving things to chance, plus I enjoy planning.  But I only plan a handful of ADRs for a trip so for everything else where we want to be spontaneous we usually end up with counter service. 

The sign is awesome!  She did a great job.  

That's too bad about Kona.  We've enjoyed it there when we've gone but I've always had an ADR.  I also wish you could just walk up and get a table but I guess those days are gone at most WDW restaurants.  I make ADR's because we only come once every 1-2 years so I don't like leaving things to chance, plus I enjoy planning.  But I only plan a handful of ADRs for a trip so for everything else where we want to be spontaneous we usually end up with counter service.

We tend to eat back at the trailer most of the time. Had no proble getting into Kona for lunch but it was also a late lunch, we would have go back to the trailer to eat but wanted check out the fireworks from the Contemporary. I will say our food at the Contemporary wasnt bad at all and everything I saw come out while we were there looked very good.

I think one important thing is knowing where to find counter service that is more than burgers and fries.