A couple of weeks back, we took a local trip to Stone Mountain.  The great thing for us...was it took less than an hour to get from our driveway into the campground; after the 9 hour trips to the Fort, we were super excited about that :)

Just a few pictures, for those of you who have never been there.  We liked the campground as the washrooms were large and clean, they had an outdoor pool and playground (both very important to our kiddos) and the park itself had some nice activities for our family.  As with most campgrounds, some spots are definitely better than others.  Our particular spot was a little tighter than some and the pipe for the sewer connection was a good 2 feet up in the air so we could not use it (we used the dump station instead).  The campground had paving around the circle which was really nice for our daughter to rider her scooter on. One really big downside to our site, was about 3 feet to the right of our front door, was a pretty steep "path" (aka small cliff) down to some woods below...which was NOT good for our 2 1/2 year old (or should I say for Mommy and Daddy who were constantly saying "NO, don't go that way!").  I think we added some gray hairs there  :wacko:

We were blessed with some really pretty weather that particular weekend and, all-in-all, had a really nice trip.  Pricing was around $48/night for the loop that we chose (some loops are less expensive), but I still think we'll make the park an annual visit for one weekend each summer.  It's nice to have something with some amenities that work well for our family, close by.

20140816_0844041_zps12c9a5a6.jpeg

The campground provides a gas grill... we used our own, but it's a nice feature if you need it.

20140816_084508_zps4c9e5c20.jpeg

The park was full that weekend...

20140816_084519_zpsdb38e6d7.jpeg

Nice way to start the morning...

2014-08-16_082605_zps8246a7e1.jpg

Hi ya pals!   Oh... and GO GATORS :)

20140816_194111_zps59abd7c5.jpeg

20140816_150201_zpsd35568d6.jpeg

One of the fun activities (my daughter and I are at the very top, I have a white shirt on.  She was very brave and I only had to pull her through 2 or 3 sections... haha :) )

20140816_110616_zps2dacc416.jpg

Nacole,

I looks, from your picture that you guys had a site in the "main circle" of the campground... which unless things have changed, the most level part of the campground.  If/when you go back, try to reserve sites in that circle  because man of the sites in the woods off to the right of check-in are really unlevel and even washed in some cases.

When we have traveled from NC to Destin, Stone Mountain was always our stop off for the night because it is at the half way point...  I remember one year, we pulled in and could not get a site in the circle and was sent to the wooded sites.  At the time we have 38' 5th wheel and a long bed truck... The site assigned to us was so unlevel, it took 2 bags of Lynx Levelers just to get one side of the camper somewhat level...  however when I tried to unhook the trailer and pull the truck out, the truck and trailer was so out of phase with each other that the truck bed hit the bottom of the 5'er overhang...  I hope that makes sense... 

Just to be fair, I will say that it has been several years since we have been to Stone Mountain, so they might have addressed all of the site issues...

Does every site have a deck like you had?

I don't believe so.  We stayed in the P (purple) loop, because we wanted to be next to the pool for the kids... from what I could see, every site in that loop had both a deck and a gas grill.

Nacole,  The Fiends have had a couple of Grand Gatherings at the Stone Mountain Campground.  What site number were you in?

Hopefully there will be another one soon :)   We were in spot #162 or #163.

Nacole,

I looks, from your picture that you guys had a site in the "main circle" of the campground... which unless things have changed, the most level part of the campground.  If/when you go back, try to reserve sites in that circle  because man of the sites in the woods off to the right of check-in are really unlevel and even washed in some cases.

When we have traveled from NC to Destin, Stone Mountain was always our stop off for the night because it is at the half way point...  I remember one year, we pulled in and could not get a site in the circle and was sent to the wooded sites.  At the time we have 38' 5th wheel and a long bed truck... The site assigned to us was so unlevel, it took 2 bags of Lynx Levelers just to get one side of the camper somewhat level...  however when I tried to unhook the trailer and pull the truck out, the truck and trailer was so out of phase with each other that the truck bed hit the bottom of the 5'er overhang...  I hope that makes sense... 

Just to be fair, I will say that it has been several years since we have been to Stone Mountain, so they might have addressed all of the site issues...

From what little walking we did do, I would agree and say that several sites did look uneven.

The Fiend gatherings were usually in the "Orange" loop, which was just past the purple section. Those sites also are pretty level, but don't have the decks and grills, and have the advantage of being close to a partial hookup area, so that Fiends that didn't need full hookup were still close to us.

• 8 months later...

We just got back from two night at Stone Mountain; had a really nice time.  Once again stayed in the F trail which is the Purple loop (tip to those with younger kids... great loop to be in; the outer loops seem to be quieter for those of you who want that).  The campground was actually pretty full this weekend.  I wanted to post this picture, as it was full of large rigs... so a nice option for those of you with a 5th wheel or class A.  This was "trail L" (red loop).  I also saw some nice sites trails C & E (orange loop).  

PART_1431288036127_20150509_175041_zpsrm

We stayed their last summer and had a great time. I forget the loop we were in, but to address the PP that mentioned some washout - here are some pictures of a tree that fell one night.

We were sitting at the fire and heard a slow cracking sound and then saw it start to lean. Fell right between us and our camper. 2e47523bf7e5a4bb5716e8dc6bb66fd1.jpgdd81d9e5fe252cbd558d83d7ee0060ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed their last summer and had a great time. I forget the loop we were in, but to address the PP that mentioned some washout - here are some pictures of a tree that fell one night.

We were sitting at the fire and heard a slow cracking sound and then saw it start to lean. Fell right between us and our camper. 2e47523bf7e5a4bb5716e8dc6bb66fd1.jpgdd81d9e5fe252cbd558d83d7ee0060ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mercy. ... that's much too close for comfort!

We stayed their last summer and had a great time. I forget the loop we were in, but to address the PP that mentioned some washout - here are some pictures of a tree that fell one night. We were sitting at the fire and heard a slow cracking sound and then saw it start to lean. Fell right between us and our camper. 2e47523bf7e5a4bb5716e8dc6bb66fd1.jpgdd81d9e5fe252cbd558d83d7ee0060ee.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.  That is too close for comfort!

I was just looking at this campground for our July/Atlanta stop. I need to reserve something! :)

Doug, check out the package deals they offer, that is what we did last year. We really liked it make sure the kids do the inside barn they will love it, you will also because I really think your just a big kid. Plus the shuttle was nice, we did not drive anywhere so the car stayed on the truck, it was really nice having the shuttle service.

We stayed their last summer and had a great time. I forget the loop we were in, but to address the PP that mentioned some washout - here are some pictures of a tree that fell one night. We were sitting at the fire and heard a slow cracking sound and then saw it start to lean. Fell right between us and our camper. 2e47523bf7e5a4bb5716e8dc6bb66fd1.jpgdd81d9e5fe252cbd558d83d7ee0060ee.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW talk about good luck, someone had an eye on your family.

Camp looks neat, lots of green.