There is often confusion about what time boat service is offered from the Fort.

But, these two signs posted on the dock clearly state the times:

3614292_zps759d4f6c.jpg

3614291_zpsf0f9f99c.jpg

So, if the MK isn't opening until 9, the first boat isn't going to be available until 8:30. 

Obviously, for the OP, the MK boat is not an option.

The resort boat is the only boat option.

Supposedly, bus transportation is provided to Disney resort guests with early character breakfast and BBB reservations.  What has never been clearly answered is whether this service is provided to Fort Wilderness guests.  There have been varied reports about this early bus here, but there is no written material provided by the Fort to confirm it.  It may exist, and it would be great if someone could give a definitive answer on that.

As far as driving to the MK, you should be aware that the parking lot for the MK is the Transportation and Ticket Center.  That means you will need to park, take a tram, and then either the ferry or monorail to the MK gates.  Not really a quick way to go, and you have to repeat that process in reverse when it's time to leave.

This is why we all take the resort boat to the Contemporary to get to the MK early.

I do not recommend trying to take the monorail from the Contemporary to the MK.  If you do that, you will have to stop at the TTC, the Polynesian Resort, and the Grand Floridian on the way.  Not a quick ride.  Walking is best.

TCD

I do not recommend trying to take the monorail from the Contemporary to the MK.  If you do that, you will have to stop at the TTC, the Polynesian Resort, and the Grand Floridian on the way.  Not a quick ride.  Walking is best.

And if the monorail gets held up or isn't reliable... (ok Lou, that's your cue...)

Agreed that the quickest, and ultimately easiest way, will be to take the boat to the Contemporary and walk to MK.

So I guess the best way for rope drop is the contemporary and walking too?

Yes. It's really the only way.

If you wait until a half-hour before the MK opens, and get on the very first boat, you're probably going to barely be through the bag check and entry scanner before the opening show begins.

And, what if that first boat is late?

TCD

Supposedly, bus transportation is provided to Disney resort guests with early character breakfast and BBB reservations.  What has never been clearly answered is whether this service is provided to Fort Wilderness guests.  There have been varied reports about this early bus here, but there is no written material provided by the Fort to confirm it.  It may exist, and it would be great if someone could give a definitive answer on that.

As far as driving to the MK, you should be aware that the parking lot for the MK is the Transportation and Ticket Center.  That means you will need to park, take a tram, and then either the ferry or monorail to the MK gates.  Not really a quick way to go, and you have to repeat that process in reverse when it's time to leave.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the "early" bus transportation to MK for FW guests, is the bus to WL, then the WL bus to MK. I'm pretty sure that bus runs earlier than 30 minutes before park opening.

I'd be happy to test that theory in October.

Take a taxi. We tried the bus for an early morning BBB at Downtown Disney from Port Orleans- French Quarter and ended up being late (even with a cast member there assuring us we would be fine). We got bumped back the schedule and ended up running thru Epcot to make our breakfast reservations on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing the "early" bus transportation to MK for FW guests, is the bus to WL, then the WL bus to MK. I'm pretty sure that bus runs earlier than 30 minutes before park opening.

I'd be happy to test that theory in October.

I think you may be right.  But, the timing of this could be very tricky.  I personally would rather take the resort boat and walk, rather than take a bus to the Lodge, and then hope the MK bus is there or comes soon.

It is also possible that there is actually a bus that picks up at the Outpost for early MK reservations- I've heard that there is- but I've never heard a reliable first-hand report.

Take a taxi. We tried the bus for an early morning BBB at Downtown Disney from Port Orleans- French Quarter and ended up being late (even with a cast member there assuring us we would be fine). We got bumped back the schedule and ended up running thru Epcot to make our breakfast reservations on time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that stinks.  How early do they schedule BBB appointments at Downtown Disney?  I'm pretty sure that there is no regular bus transportation to there until later in the morning.

I'm not following what you're saying about running thru Epcot for breakfast reservations.  Was that another trip?  Or after your BBB appointment?  If it's the latter, how did you get to Epcot from Downtown Disney?

TCD

Take a taxi. We tried the bus for an early morning BBB at Downtown Disney from Port Orleans- French Quarter and ended up being late (even with a cast member there assuring us we would be fine). We got bumped back the schedule and ended up running thru Epcot to make our breakfast reservations on time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that stinks. How early do they schedule BBB appointments at Downtown Disney? I'm pretty sure that there is no regular bus transportation to there until later in the morning.

I'm not following what you're saying about running thru Epcot for breakfast reservations. Was that another trip? Or after your BBB appointment? If it's the latter, how did you get to Epcot from Downtown Disney?

TCD

I didn't explain that well- it was after our BBB appointment. We were late to BBB so they let others go ahead of us (rightly so) which meant we got done later than expected. Our plan (and what we did) was to leave BBB and go straight to Askershus in Epcot. I assume we took another taxi from DD to Epcot but my memory sucks.

I don't recall how early it was- we aren't morning people so reservations before 10am are tricky for my family. :-)

I didn't explain that well- it was after our BBB appointment. We were late to BBB so they let others go ahead of us (rightly so) which meant we got done later than expected. Our plan (and what we did) was to leave BBB and go straight to Askershus in Epcot. I assume we took another taxi from DD to Epcot but my memory sucks.

I don't recall how early it was- we aren't morning people so reservations before 10am are tricky for my family. :-)

No worries.  The important part of what you said is that you can't rely on the early buses to get you where you need to go-even if a CM tells you so.  Which is pretty poor customer service on Disney's part.

Getting back to the subject at hand- someone at Disney should be able to assure a resort guest who has made a reservation for BBB in the MK at 8:15 that transportation will be provided.  But good luck with that.

TCD

To the OP- my advice is based on Downtown Disney's BBB, I'm not sure about MK.

Though, we also did BBB before MK's opening once (makes for AWESOME photo ops). I'd guess that we did a taxi based on our prior experience.

And, I had my details wrong- the first story where we were late was from Grand Floridian to Downtown Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure the MK boat will be running that early, but the Contemporary boat will. It's an easy walk from the Contemporary. In July, my son and I had the boat to ourselves. It was pretty cool!

This is seriously one of the best pieces of info I've gotten from this site. Good idea for getting to rope drop ahead off the crowds, too! 

Is there a handy TCD purple crayon map for walking ?

WalkwaytoMagicKingdom.jpg

Walk straight up from the dock through the ground floor doors of the lobby, go past the check-in desks, turn right and head towards the bus stops and out those doors. Then follow the sidewalk past the bus stops, past Bay Lake Towers, then to the red light. Cross at the crossing, then follow the path past all the MK bus stops, and you will end up near guest relations. You will then have to continue all the way under the monorail to the bag check entrance.

WalkwaytoMagicKingdom.jpg

Walk straight up from the dock through the ground floor doors of the lobby, go past the check-in desks, turn right and head towards the bus stops and out those doors. Then follow the sidewalk past the bus stops, past Bay Lake Towers, then to the red light. Cross at the crossing, then follow the path past all the MK bus stops, and you will end up near guest relations. You will then have to continue all the way under the monorail to the bag check entrance.

You rock! Thanks!!!

Now that the purple crayon has come out.... I'm going to give you some pictures too....

Park your cart.

IMG_7435.jpg

Stand on the dock and watch the beautiful sunrise.

IMG_7437.jpg

See the Contemporary boat arrive.

IMG_7438.jpg

Be cute.

IMG_7439.jpg

Maybe all by yourself.

IMG_7440.jpg

Enjoy the ride.

IMG_7441.jpg

Arrive at the Contemporary.

IMG_7444.jpg

Be a boss.

IMG_7445.jpg

Beat all these people to the MK!

IMG_7449.jpg

Another option but it may be tricky is to drive to the Contemporary then walk over to the MK. I've always been able to park there with and without a resort parking pass. But it's usually later in the day.

We have done this a couple of times and have had no problems.  We were told to tell the guard that we were attending an early function at MK and they wouldn't have a problem with it and found that to be true.