Has anyone done a 3 day cruise?

It looks like my school district is going to have a fall break next year. I got really excited thinking it could be a time when I could finally afford a Disney cruise. BUT, the week it will be, they're running the Dream on 3 3-night cruises in a row. BUMMER! A 3 nighter almost doesn't seem worth it. 

Has anyone done one? What were your thoughts?

We did a 7 day land/sea a bunch of years ago (3 park days/4 sea days). If you haven't done a Disney cruise yet and the price is right, I'd say do it.  Even if you never leave the ship, personally I think it's worth it.  The ships are gorgeous, the service is amazing and the food is fantastic.

I don't think we'd get off in Nassau, so basically we would have a sea day and a day at Castaway. 

That is the approach I would take, is skip Nassau and use that as your on board day, then enjoy Castaway Cay.

(Although, Castaway Cay was not our favorite, but then neither one of us tolerates no shade very well any more).

It's $1000 cheaper than the same cruise during the summer.... hmmm.... How do I convince my husband?

Tell him they are introducing the new Green Egg that has 2.5 TB of storage, dual quad core processors and is wifi comparible on this cruise.

Also you can program this new egg from your smart phone.

I've been on a three-night cruise, and I'll never do it again.

Day/night 1:  Half of the day is wasted getting onboard and unpacking.

Day/night 2:  Your one full day/night of fun.

Day/night 3:  You have a full day except that you have to pack up and fill out your customs forms.

Day 4:  Disembark early.

I would do a 3 day Disney cruise in a heartbeat.  Yes, i see all the drawbacks that Gwen has listed.  But it is a cruise and it is Disney.  Since I know that a 7 day cruise is not gonna happen, or even a four day cruise, i would do the 3 day cruise.  

Did you have the choice of going on a longer cruise? If you did, why did you go with the three nights?

It sounds like Kelly is in a situation of either going on a three nighter or nothing.

If it's a temporary situation and she's able to go on a longer cruise within a reasonable time frame, I would hold off.

If this is all she'll be able to do in the same time frame, I'd go for it. Three days is better than nothing.

We have done several 3 night cruises. They are worth the money. Its not so long that you get sick of being on the boat, but long enough to experience everything you need to. You will get to dine in each restaurant and will still have a pirate night which includes the Disney fireworks from the ship. And if youre stopping at castaway cay its even better.

First Ill address Gwens list.

"

Day/night 1:  Half of the day is wasted getting onboard and unpacking.

Day/night 2:  Your one full day/night of fun.

Day/night 3:  You have a full day except that you have to pack up and fill out your customs forms.

Day 4:  Disembark early."

You can get on the ship as early as 1100. If you get there early, you can be on board, eating lunch and swimming by noon. You can explore the ship and see whats whats. The only mandatory thing is the lifeboat drill at 4. After that is the sailaway party. Then you have all night to what you want. Really, there's no curfew on the ship. And if you wanted some adult time, they have childrens clubs you can send the little one to. And if you wont be getting off the ship in Nassa, you can stay up late and sleep in.

Yes, its a full day of fun.

Castaway Cay.......and how much packing would you need to do? Seriously, its 4 days. As you take cloths off, put them in the suitcases. Packing complete. And customs forms take 2 mins to fill out.

The last day allashore is 0930. So you you can still sleep in some and get one last meal on the ship.

Well worth the money for a relaxing weekend.

Now, the reasons why your hubby doesnt want to go.

You can get as much or as little Disney as you want. Just because its Disney cruise lines doesnt mean its 24/7 Disney in your face. There are adult only areas that are less Disney than the rest of the ship and if you do not want to meet characters, you dont have to. They have activities planned for everyone, not just Disney junkies.

Karaoke, dancing, bingo, spas....he can get a break from it all if he wanted. And 3 nights isnt that long. You get more Disney staying at the fort than on the ship. 

Do it.  

I've not done 3 nights, but I've been on two 4 night cruises, and to me it's plenty long enough.  We are taking a 5 night cruise next December, and I'm thinking I'll be ready to get off by the time it's done.  4 nights is a nice length, but if your choice is the 3 night or nothing.....then go for the 3.  Like Dave said, you'll get to dine in each of the restaurants, have a day at CC, and still have a day to enjoy the ship while docked at Nassau (enjoying the Aqua Duck without huge lines!).  

This is a good way to experience DCL....and I bet you will be booking a 4 or maybe 7 nighter before you disembark.  

Did you have the choice of going on a longer cruise? If you did, why did you go with the three nights?

It was a work trip.  At the time I worked for a Fortune 100 company. Our brand had its 40th anniversary, and we had a sweepstakes.  The 40 winners got to go on the cruise.  We went along to "wine and dine" them.

Seriously, its 4 days. As you take cloths off, put them in the suitcases. Packing complete. And customs forms take 2 mins to fill out.

Spoken like a true man.   ::)   You don't have to deal with formal gowns, curling irons, etc.

If I lived within a couple of hours of the port, I'd be taking lots of three night cruises.  But I also have to consider the time and expense of getting there.  

Several years ago I did back-to-back cruises which lasted 11 nights.  That still wasn't long enough for me.

Day/night 1: Half of the day is wasted getting onboard and unpacking.

Day/night 2: Your one full day/night of fun.

Day/night 3: You have a full day except that you have to pack up and fill out your customs forms.

Day 4: Disembark early.

I'm with you Gwen. If I lived closer it would be a different story, or if I was doing a land and sea but for my family flying from Here to there for that short of a time would be crazy (unless it was an amazing deal).

The TCD gang has sailed on three 3 night DCL cruises.

I can't deny what Gwen says- these cruises go quickly.  But, if you know that going in, and are prepared to hit the ground running (which I know the GDF gang is capable of), three night cruises can be a blast.

As far as convincing Mr. GDF- remind him that you can carry on as much alcohol as you like.  And there are free Mickey Premium bars from room service whenever you want.  There is so much to do on the ship and at Castaway Cay for free that you don't need to spend extra $ on excursions.

Devores is right- the key is to pack light and go hard.  Don't waste your time relaxing. Three night cruises aren't for relaxing.

Book it.

TCD

I brought it up to Jason last night, and he didn't totally shoot it down. Missing more work could be an issue for him. The one I was looking at leaves Monday. That's not good for him. There's another that leaves Thursday which would be better, but I need to see what the 2015 UGA schedule will be. When are they releasing the SEC games?!?!?!

I wouldn't bring anything formal. I figure some Capri pants, tees, and some nicer tops would work fine. Doesn't Disney allow shorts in the dining room now? If so, some polos and shorts would cover my guys. 

We have done several 3 night cruises. They are worth the money. Its not so long that you get sick of being on the boat, but long enough to experience everything you need to. You will get to dine in each restaurant and will still have a pirate night which includes the Disney fireworks from the ship.

You had me at fireworks from the ship (which btw, they didn't have back when we went).