An EGG-cellent Weekend at Stone Mountain

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, let’s keep this short report rolling. We were enjoying the beautiful day…     And we started talking to our neighbor, Chris. Chris and his family were here for Eggtoberfest too. It was their firs

So now that I have finally joined the Fiends and since everyone is watching (no pressure) I will make my first post. It sort of feels like taking the protective covering off your new smart phone!   In

So let me get this straight.  You let some crazy lady you just met....at a campground of all places.....talk you into joining some internet group of people obsessed with a mouse?  You took advice from

Great TR!

Loved the pood forn and festival pix.

But your going to have to explain to me the fascination with a ceramic? grill. I didn't see anything I couldn't cook on my grill. I know you can use it as a smoker also but again I didn't see anything cooked at festival that I couldn't do on my smoker either.

However, I do think it looks cool and the new one that you should get Jason because he deserves it, might be nice to have for its portability. It would be nice to have a grill and smoker that I could take on the road.

Z. Adorable as usual.

But your going to have to explain to me the fascination with a ceramic? grill. I didn't see anything I couldn't cook on my grill. I know you can use it as a smoker also but again I didn't see anything cooked at festival that I couldn't do on my smoker either.

Since I have only had my Egg for 1 week I will defer to GDF for more expert opinion, but in my research the BGE can go from 200 - 800 degrees +.  No smoker can do this range of cooking in different temp zones.  Also you can do low and slow smoking, grilling, baking, pizzas, and much more with the egg.  It has a great verstaility and gives the food a wonderful flavor.

Hopefully they will start to have these at Eggfest as well and we might be able to pick up a demo MiniMax.  I am enjoying my demo Large BGE!

I doubt it, but our guy will sell them at a discount. Once I find out the price, I'll let you know. 

No, I'm crazy.   :rofl3:

We already knew that. 

Great TR!

Loved the pood forn and festival pix.

However, I do think it looks cool and the new one that you should get Jason because he deserves it, might be nice to have for its portability. It would be nice to have a grill and smoker that I could take on the road.

Z. Adorable as usual.

OK, here's the gist of it. It's versatile and can be used as a grill, smoker, and oven... all in 1. You can also get it up to crazy high temps to sear things like steaks. Because it's ceramic, it has a more consistent temperature and can hold that temp for very long periods of time. For example, when we smoke BBQ, it will hold 220 degrees for 24 hours without touching it or adding fuel. Our traditional smoker has a be fed constantly. 

The really winner is the flavor though. The wood charcoal makes everything taste better. 

Since I have only had my Egg for 1 week I will defer to GDF for more expert opinion, but in my research the BGE can go from 200 - 800 degrees +.  No smoker can do this range of cooking in different temp zones.  Also you can do low and slow smoking, grilling, baking, pizzas, and much more with the egg.  It has a great verstaility and gives the food a wonderful flavor.

Amen

Better late than never, here’s the Eggfest schedule.

IMG_9577.jpg

Back at the campground, we took a loop in the car to check things out. We didn’t bring our golf cart which was kind of a mistake. Lots of Egg-heads were driving around and chatting. These people brought 2 smalls.

IMG_9560.jpg

Z headed to the playground again.

IMG_9563.jpg

I used my new koozie.

IMG_9565.jpg

Z and one of his new friends found a turtle. That was exciting. I love that our boy loves the outdoors.

IMG_9566.jpg

We fired up the Egg again… why not?

IMG_9568.jpg

We figured we could cook some BACON to munch on.

IMG_9569.jpg

IMG_9570.jpg

UGA won! Yay!

Jason wasn’t happy with the picture quality on the TV, and there was more good football coming, so he took matters into his own hands.

IMG_9575.jpg

I’m not sure what’s happening here.

IMG_9572.jpg

But the kids were enjoying themselves.

IMG_9574.jpg

I think it was just after dark, when Chris got to bring home his new baby. Yay!!!

IMG_9576.jpg

We threw some BACON cheddar burgers on the grill.

IMG_9578.jpg

Egg, camping, and football… Does it get much better?

IMG_9580.jpg

IMG_9582.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

I added more cheese. YUM

IMG_9586.jpg

The rest of the night, we just enjoyed the fire, football, and each other.

IMG_9588.jpg

And that’s all folks!

It’s been mentioned, but if Eggtoberfest looks fun to you, there are other Eggfests around the country. http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests None are as big as the original, but I bet they’re all a fun time.

Tips for attending Eggtoberfest:

1)      Arrive early… the lines get crazy in the afternoon.

2)      Bring a cooler… you can bring in whatever you want.

3)      Bring chairs… lots of people were rotating between eating and relaxing.

4)      Try new things… I ate elk pizza, and it was actually good.

5)      Camp! We met a lot of great people, including our new Fiend!

The tentative plan is for Jason and some buddies to cook next year. That probably means I’ll be involved as well (prep and serving). I told him he’d need to get our meat market to sponsor them to help with the cost. I think there’s a good chance they will because they sell BGEs, and it would be good advertising for them. So stay tuned… it would be cool to have some Fiends there. 

I actually have an exciting update... Jason went to our meat market to get ribs and a pork butt. He started talking to the owner about Eggtoberfest, and without even asking about it, he offered to sponsor a cook team. Yay!!!

Also, he has 10 Mini Maxes on order, and apparently one is ours if we want to but it. Still not sure about pricing though....

WOW like the Mini Max looks like it would be great to carry camping and a perfect size to cook on for the wife and I. Keep us posted on the price and who knows if you can get a good deal it might be worth a trip your way next year some time.

I actually have an exciting update... Jason went to our meat market to get ribs and a pork butt. He started talking to the owner about Eggtoberfest, and without even asking about it, he offered to sponsor a cook team. Yay!!!

Also, he has 10 Mini Maxes on order, and apparently one is ours if we want to but it. Still not sure about pricing though....

Very cool. Let me know about pricing on the mini max.

We cook 3 huge slabs on our large. I guess the turkey depends on size. I've never had a reason to do more than 1 at a time.

Thanks. One advantage of a BGE is being able to cook/smoke smaller/less food.

My smoker will smoke 5 - 14-16 lb turkeys. I have smoked them at thanksgiving and Christmas. But I haven't done it in a few years because it's a lot of work just to smoke one turkey or one slab of ribs. It looks like the BGE is easy to fire up and use for smaller dinners. Which is usually what I cook.

As a matter of fact I took my smoker to the lake because that's where I tend to cook for bigger groups.

I'm going to look a little closer at this BGE. Maybe a medium one that I can use at home and take it on the rode.

Thanks for all the info and pood forn.

WOW like the Mini Max looks like it would be great to carry camping and a perfect size to cook on for the wife and I. Keep us posted on the price and who knows if you can get a good deal it might be worth a trip your way next year some time.

We're pretty excited about the Mini Max. Having the surface area of the small but being much lighter is a huge bonus. That said, I think we'll still transport the medium for long trips, like the beach. It would be AWESOME for tailgating and camping though. Z has actually been begging for a mini, so can we pretend it's his Christmas present?

Will do! He said there's not as much mark-up on the smaller ones, but hopefully we can get a good deal. Jason's sent several people his company has given some away, so he treats us right. 

Thanks. One advantage of a BGE is being able to cook/smoke smaller/less food.

My smoker will smoke 5 - 14-16 lb turkeys. I have smoked them at thanksgiving and Christmas. But I haven't done it in a few years because it's a lot of work just to smoke one turkey or one slab of ribs. It looks like the BGE is easy to fire up and use for smaller dinners. Which is usually what I cook.

As a matter of fact I took my smoker to the lake because that's where I tend to cook for bigger groups.

I'm going to look a little closer at this BGE. Maybe a medium one that I can use at home and take it on the rode.

Thanks for all the info and pood forn.

YES, Ray... you can smoke for a family on it. I should have mentioned that. We have a huge smoker that we've had for awhile; it's 20x44". It was awesome to smoke 8-10 Boston butts for a huge party, but there's no way we'd do that for just us. With the large BGE, we can smoke 1-2 with very little effort. Never having to add fuel during the smoking makes the labor involved MUCH less. 

The medium is much lighter than the large, but still very heavy. Unless you REALLY think you'll be taking it places a good bit, I'd get a large. It gives you more options. But we do use our medium a good bit.

By the way. If you decide to smoke a turkey I'd really recommend a 12-16 lb bird and brine it first. The smaller birds tend dry out and the bigger ones just don't come out as good. IMHO.

We've done a turkey before. Here's a picture. We took it to the Stone Mountain GG. My favorite is a bacon weave roaster chicken though. One of the giant ones that's like 9 lbs. It doesn't dry out.  

969802_10200989264115316_784814843_n.jpg

Will do! He said there's not as much mark-up on the smaller ones, but hopefully we can get a good deal. Jason's sent several people his company has given some away, so he treats us right. 

Thanks GDF.  By the way I left a message for Jason today as I needed some help with temp control on the BGE, but I figured it out.  You really have to close the egg up almost all the way to hold 225!

Man!  Look at the grease in the bottom of that pan.  Bet that makes a very flavorful gravy! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Z has actually been begging for a mini, so can we pretend it's his Christmas present?"  Time to teach the boy to cook ;) 

Man! Look at the grease in the bottom of that pan. Bet that makes a very flavorful gravy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Z has actually been begging for a mini, so can we pretend it's his Christmas present?" Time to teach the boy to cook ;)

I didn't make gravy, but I should have!

We've done a turkey before. Here's a picture. We took it to the Stone Mountain GG. My favorite is a bacon weave roaster chicken though. One of the giant ones that's like 9 lbs. It doesn't dry out.  

Okay, that is just cruel and unusual punishment to post a picture like that and not post the recipe with it.  Same goes for the garlic parmesan wings.  Who am I kidding, I think I want all your recipes.

Okay, that is just cruel and unusual punishment to post a picture like that and not post the recipe with it. Same goes for the garlic parmesan wings. Who am I kidding, I think I want all your recipes.

It's the chicken recipe I posted earlier. It was made for a turkey, and I adapted it for a huge chicken in the linked thread. Same recipe for both though.

The wing recipe I have to get from Jason.