An EGG-cellent Weekend at Stone Mountain

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, let’s keep this short report rolling. We were enjoying the beautiful day…     And we started talking to our neighbor, Chris. Chris and his family were here for Eggtoberfest too. It was their firs

So now that I have finally joined the Fiends and since everyone is watching (no pressure) I will make my first post. It sort of feels like taking the protective covering off your new smart phone!   In

So let me get this straight.  You let some crazy lady you just met....at a campground of all places.....talk you into joining some internet group of people obsessed with a mouse?  You took advice from

It's the chicken recipe I posted earlier. It was made for a turkey, and I adapted it for a huge chicken in the linked thread. Same recipe for both though.

The wing recipe I have to get from Jason.

Thank you, I somehow missed that. Will have to go back and look.

ETA: I just read through the recipe. So it looks like in the original recipe the person roasted it in the oven. So when you did it on the BGE did you use it like an oven or a smoker? Does it even work two ways?

Kelly,

The other day after I dropped the girls off at the airport, I went to Camping World in Kissimmee and saw this.... 

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/kamado-kub-ceramic-charcoal-grill/71946

This looks to be a knockoff of the BGE... Have you guys ever heard of or seen one of these in action?

Kelly,

The other day after I dropped the girls off at the airport, I went to Camping World in Kissimmee and saw this.... 

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/kamado-kub-ceramic-charcoal-grill/71946

This looks to be a knockoff of the BGE... Have you guys ever heard of or seen one of these in action?

I've never heard of that brand, but there are other knockoffs too. That's about the size of the mini (not the new mini max). Some of the nice things about BGE are the warranty and customer support. If I'm spending that kind of money on a grill, I'd want the real thing. I bet I could get a mini for about that much. 

Man... that's a fancy chicken! :)  Did it have a strong bacon flavor?  Oh... and do you eat the bacon?

It is a fancy chicken, but it's actually pretty easy. Bacon weaves always impress. Since I also put bacon in the herb butter that I put under the skin, you can definitely taste it. You're asking if we eat the bacon... that's just funny. Of course! 

Thanks for sharing this TR.  I had no idea what a cool festival that was.  We are close enough to make a weekend at SM.  I may have missed it, do you know the date of next year's Eggtoberfest? 

It was a lot of fun, and we really enjoyed camping there. We plan to return fairly soon. 

The date for next year hasn't been released yet. 

And if you live that close to Stone Mountain, why aren't you coming to our Bald Ridge GG on Lanier? 

I got one of the steel knock offs like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Graphite-16620/205026253

got mine at Walmart last  June for 299 I have seem them now for 278 So far its been great. I can do 18 hour slow cooks with one load of charcoal and only a couple of vent adjustments.  It's to heavy and bulky to take camping but it's great at home.  Time will tell if it will last so far it still looks  new.  Still hope to get one of the small eggs to take on the road.  I would love to go to one of these festivals. 

I got one of the steel knock offs like this one http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Akorn-Kamado-Kooker-Charcoal-Grill-in-Graphite-16620/205026253

got mine at Walmart last  June for 299 I have seem them now for 278 So far its been great. I can do 18 hour slow cooks with one load of charcoal and only a couple of vent adjustments.  It's to heavy and bulky to take camping but it's great at home.  Time will tell if it will last so far it still looks  new.  Still hope to get one of the small eggs to take on the road.  I would love to go to one of these festivals. 

There are several in FL. I'm not sure if they're as big as the one we went to. I'm guessing the original is the biggest. If we cook next year, we'd love to have some fans present! 

I've never heard of that brand, but there are other knockoffs too. That's about the size of the mini (not the new mini max). Some of the nice things about BGE are the warranty and customer support. If I'm spending that kind of money on a grill, I'd want the real thing. I bet I could get a mini for about that much. 

It is a fancy chicken, but it's actually pretty easy. Bacon weaves always impress. Since I also put bacon in the herb butter that I put under the skin, you can definitely taste it. You're asking if we eat the bacon... that's just funny. Of course! 

My friend got a BGE style grill from an Ace Hardware store more than a year ago.

It was sitting in the back by itself and they had marked it down to I think $200.  He got it and they even delivered it to him.  But he's never set it up!

Lowes in Tampa had these over the summer and they were around $600-700.  They are called the Bayou Classic Cypress Ceramic. 

Well there was a picture of an odd colored green grill, but when I tried to submit the post it didn't like it.

So here's a link to it  http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Charcoal%20Grills/500-515.html

It was a lot of fun, and we really enjoyed camping there. We plan to return fairly soon. 

The date for next year hasn't been released yet. 

And if you live that close to Stone Mountain, why aren't you coming to our Bald Ridge GG on Lanier? 

I still can't believe how big that event was.  We have been in that parking area before and there is a lot of space.  We are still working on our calendar this far out but and the GG is on our list of things to try and do.  I just haven't posted  on that thread yet till I know for sure.  Aren't we still a bit out of the booking window?

We might have to come see you at next year's Eggtoberfest! I've never even heard of this event until reading this trip report. That Mini Max might be a good start for us. We don't really need anything too big, since it's just the two of us - and it would be good to have something easy to travel with.

We might have to come see you at next year's Eggtoberfest! I've never even heard of this event until reading this trip report. That Mini Max might be a good start for us. We don't really need anything too big, since it's just the two of us - and it would be good to have something easy to travel with.

Awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Oops... Here's it kind of....

Sprinkle Montreal chicken seasoning or poultry magic on the wings. Grill on low heat (about 375) to make them really tender but brown at the end.

While that's happening, chop up a lot of garlic, then chop more
1 stick of butter
1 large bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce

Put above in a sauce pan and simmer. The goal here is to get the sauce garlicky.

At the end, add Parmesan cheese. (I'm guessing 1/2 cup)

Coat wings

This makes a lot of sauce. 

Oops... Here's it kind of....

Sprinkle Montreal chicken seasoning or poultry magic on the wings. Grill on low heat to make them really tender but brown at the end.

While that's happening, chop up a lot of garlic, then chop more

Butter

Hot sauce

Put above in a sauce pan and simmer. The goal here is to get the sauce garlicky.

At the end, add Parmesan cheese.

Coat wings

I'll get more details from him.

I can work with that, thanks! :D